I got my Q10 about two weeks ago. I'm just playing with it and noticed that I only have roughly 700MB of free memory. The phone spec stated that Q10 comes with 2gb of ram, which I'm happy about but I had no idea simply running the OS takes up more than half of it...

How do you guys feel about it?

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 01:41 AM
    RAM is only a problem when there isn't enough of it. Thus far, it hasn't caused a problem and It's not affecting my usage, why should I care? For that matter, why should you care? I could see a point if for example it was storage space you were talking about but... it's not. RAM is there to be used by the OS and apps. If you're not having any issues, there's not really any reason to be 'unhappy' about it. lol. Be happy you have RAM to spare, it means the OS is half decently efficient.
    06-27-13 01:55 AM
    I got my Q10 about two weeks ago. I'm just playing with it and noticed that I only have roughly 700MB of free memory. The phone spec stated that Q10 comes with 2gb of ram, which I'm happy about but I had no idea simply running the OS takes up more than half of it...

Posted via CB10
    Running apps etc (active frames) take up RAM as well... if you do a restart or close all opened apps you should get around 1.1GB free (similar to that of the Z10)
    06-27-13 01:56 AM
    Any smart OS would just delete RAM files, if there is a need for more memory.

I've heard of people running pre-production units with 1GB of RAM and while there were problems with early builts, 10.1+ builts should be more efficient and there is no noticeable difference with devices running 2GB of RAM.

So the OS will take as much as it needs and only will remove data if there is a need for it. So if 1.2 GB are used, it does NOT mean that 1.2GB are needed.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 02:09 AM
    I had like 500 on my z10 and only had 5 tabs on my browser not really flash heavy and the cb app both in live tiles

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 02:10 AM

Posted via CB10
    Bb10 is different with ram. You don't need to worry about it.

The OS releases a lot of ram on requested load from an app until it's down to around 500mb.

Posted via CB from my LE
    RafiqK likes this.
    06-27-13 02:18 AM
    RAM is only a problem when there isn't enough of it. Thus far, it hasn't caused a problem and It's not affecting my usage, why should I care? For that matter, why should you care? I could see a point if for example it was storage space you were talking about but... it's not. RAM is there to be used by the OS and apps. If you're not having any issues, there's not really any reason to be 'unhappy' about it. lol. Be happy you have RAM to spare, it means the OS is half decently efficient.
    I care because it's my phone and I paid for it LOL
    I'm very happy about getting the Q10, it's nothing I'm 'unhappy' about. It's a simple observation that caused some confusion. Read my post again and then read yours outloud to yourself and you'll understand.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 05:25 AM
    hey so i think a few ppl here that posted in reply to your concern are correct.

When I had 1 active frame open (browser watching a youtube video in HD), my free RAM was at 433MB, Then I decided to open up 8 active frames and my RAM went up to 677MB.

So I think BlackBerry 10OS becomes more "efficient" lets say, when more active frames are present.
    06-27-13 02:28 PM
    It's not the same as a PC. You only need to care I'd you see less than 100MB remaining as that means the OS is going to close an app on you.

Posted via CB from my LE
    06-27-13 07:09 PM
    Recently on my z10, had about 6 or 7 frames open... one of them was neutron MP... and as I was trying to use the browser the music kept stuttering. when I checked I only had 67 mb of memory left

So basically it can be a problem sometimes

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 07:22 PM
    hey so i think a few ppl here that posted in reply to your concern are correct.

When I had 1 active frame open (browser watching a youtube video in HD), my free RAM was at 433MB, Then I decided to open up 8 active frames and my RAM went up to 677MB.

So I think BlackBerry 10OS becomes more "efficient" lets say, when more active frames are present.
    yeah, thanks for clearing up some of my confusion. It's cool to see the phone reacts that way, as more active frames the less ram it uses.
    Nothing but love for BlackBerry, nothing but love

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 07:30 PM
    I expect you will find the OS looks to make best use of RAM available at any time...

e.g. when theres not a lot of user apps needing RAM then the OS should perhaps preload as much as possible to make the user experience as fast as possible (think of it like caching)....as you open apps those non core things that are there 'incase' aren't really needed and can be moved out of RAM to make room for the app you want to run...

worry about the user experience not the numbers on a system status....
    06-27-13 07:37 PM
    I expect you will find the OS looks to make best use of RAM available at any time...

e.g. when theres not a lot of user apps needing RAM then the OS should perhaps preload as much as possible to make the user experience as fast as possible (think of it like caching)....as you open apps those non core things that are there 'incase' aren't really needed and can be moved out of RAM to make room for the app you want to run...

worry about the user experience not the numbers on a system status....
    Agree 100%, that RAM usage is being cached to keep what you might need active until you replace it with another priority. The only worry would be with apps that could have a memory leak and haven't properly killed/released their usage as no longer active/priority.
    06-27-13 08:20 PM
    I suspect that over 1G is needed to make this work properly and that could be why no BB10 for PB.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 03:16 PM