Seems like a pretty bold claim by Microsoft

Microsoft: we're third place with Windows Phone, not afraid of BlackBerry

Microsoft has focused on Windows 8.1 this week at its Build developers conference, but the company has a few sessions on Windows Phone too. Speaking to The Verge on Wednesday, senior Windows Phone product manager Larry Lieberman outlined the company's perspective on Windows Phone 8's progression. "We think we're solidly the third ecosystem right now," says Lieberman. "That's a huge announcement in some respects." In fact Windows Phone overtook BlackBerry in May, but it's still very much a two-horse race with Android and iOS dominating.

Lieberman isn't worried about BlackBerry though. "I don't think they can bring to the table some of the things we have," he says. "The fact like we're delivering across such a different set of price points to such a large audience." These low price points have been a key part of Nokia's influence on the Windows Phone platform, with the pair teaming up to push the OS software down to low-cost devices. Microsoft isn't comfortable in third place though, and Lieberman believes Windows Phone is "growing faster than anyone else right now."

The growth is small, but Windows Phone's primary hardware partner, Nokia, is really pushing the pace of devices. The Finnish smartphone maker fleshed out its range fully earlier this year, but the Windows Phone software appears to be held back by Microsoft. This week at Build there's no core platform announcements, or promises of additional features. It's very much shut up and ship, and Lieberman refused to be drawn into a features discussion or talk of a recently leaked handset running an early version of Windows Phone 8.1. Citing the user voices feedback site, Lieberman admitted the company gets a lot of feedback. "We look at that very carefully," he says. When we noted that the lack of notification center is the top feature request on the user voice site, Lieberman said "I'm aware of that," noting that Microsoft is committed to addressing the needs from the user voice site. It wasn't a confirmation of notification center, but it's clear from recent leaks that Microsoft is investigating it.

Microsoft faces the age old problem of still needing devices in the market to attract developers and create a network effect. Liberman quipped "it's chicken and egg, so we need to create the bionic chicken." Given the pace of Windows Phone updates, and the quiet approach, it's possible the firm is building up to a solid release of improvements. For now the ball is very much in Microsoft's court to be as aggressive with Windows Phone as it's demonstrating on the Windows 8.1 side.
    Microsoft: we're third place with Windows Phone, not afraid of BlackBerry | The Verge
    06-26-13 08:27 PM
    They should.
    06-26-13 08:42 PM
    Be!

Posted via CB10
    icheissesatch likes this.
    06-26-13 08:55 PM
    The title is just the title and I have a feeling that the quotes we're strategically placed by the author for effect.
    06-26-13 09:04 PM
    Bold words, one should be weary of the RIMPIRE...
    BBVegasGirl80 and DariusG1996 like this.
    06-26-13 09:10 PM
    Bold words, one should be weary of the RIMPIRE...
    I know I'm getting pretty tired of them.
    06-26-13 09:14 PM
    Meh. They might be number three in volume, but they don't make a dime on hardware and, judging from Nokia's performance, neither do their partners.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 and eldricho like this.
    06-26-13 09:26 PM
    They don't really need to make a dime from Nokia phones, remember they make money off android phones.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 09:33 PM
    I can hardly wait for Mozilla's press release claiming to be fifth place, "not afraid of Sailfish".
    06-26-13 09:33 PM
    Microsoft lol. In no position to be so cocky... specially with windows 8 and xbox one disaster...

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-26-13 10:01 PM
    Id just like to say again AVOID THE VERGE!!

They're an extremely contrived hipster site. Several "writers" Nilay Patel, and David Pierce are extremely unqualified to be handing down the reviews they do. Its a site that is clearly bias to the companies where they have their best contacts. Seeing as they are based out of NY its Apple, Google, and Facebook.

For the first month of "HTC's First" phone launch Nilay Patel was talking about how its his favourite phone....which if you've seen him or heard him is total BS. Now since it has become a total debacle of a product he stopped using it. Its a really crappy tech site tbh. Dont get me started on Paul Miller.....the most worthless writer in tech lmao.

I highly reccomend Digital Trends. Reviews are detailed and seemingly free of bias, opinion pieces are kept to the opinion section.

Hope that helps. Cheers

Z10in' since the Beginnin'
    06-26-13 10:12 PM
    They don't really need to make a dime from Nokia phones, remember they make money off android phones.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're confused.

Posted via CB10
    sisko2003 likes this.
    06-26-13 10:22 PM
    No. Microsoft does make money on Android phones as well due to some royalties paid to them. Other than that, they make a lot of money even on the Lumias.

I think you're confused.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    06-26-13 10:29 PM
    3rd place in the US only. But there is that pesky thing known as the rest of the planet!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 10:33 PM
    I wonder what Microsoft will say, if or when BlackBerry partners with Sony. That will shut them up. We're coming for 3rd and it's nothing stopping us. Plus we're making money.

Typed via BB Z10. Find me on Twitter @ahsonn_carter
    06-26-13 10:35 PM
    Just another PR Stunt. No company can be foolish enough to ignore their direct competition. There are no clear numbers on who is number 3. And if they really are not bothered about BlackBerry, then it would be good news for us as we will leave them stumped since they are going to remain clueless about what we have in store.

I feel that Windows 8 phones are not going to stand the test of time as it's selling mainly because of the fresh appeal of the UI and lacks good functionality and that is not a good sign of a long term winner.

06-26-13 10:36 PM
    Who cares. As long as BlackBerry is profitable and making innovative products, that's fine.

Posted via CB10
    omi10468 and brmiller1976 like this.
    06-26-13 10:58 PM
    If Microsoft is really in third place, I want to see numbers.
    Personally, I don't think that they are keeping up with BlackBerry right now. We have seen 10.0 which was followed by 10.1 already showing improvements. 10.2 is coming around September and promises many new, exciting features including Android Jelly Bean among other things. We know for a fact that BlackBerry is actively checking the forums along with their own feed back forum to get an idea of what the customer wants.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-13 11:09 PM

They're an extremely contrived hipster site. Several "writers" Nilay Patel, and David Pierce are extremely unqualified to be handing down the reviews they do. Its a site that is clearly bias to the companies where they have their best contacts. Seeing as they are based out of NY its Apple, Google, and Facebook.

For the first month of "HTC's First" phone launch Nilay Patel was talking about how its his favourite phone....which if you've seen him or heard him is total BS. Now since it has become a total debacle of a product he stopped using it. Its a really crappy tech site tbh. Dont get me started on Paul Miller.....the most worthless writer in tech lmao.

I highly reccomend Digital Trends. Reviews are detailed and seemingly free of bias, opinion pieces are kept to the opinion section.

Hope that helps. Cheers

You forgot to mention Joshua topolsky. He is the main reason I avoid verge site. Nilay thinks he knows everything. He acts like an analyst,with a law background. i have nothing against them but these kind of tech websites are run by a bunch of biased fanboys makes me feel sad for technology.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    06-26-13 11:30 PM

Hope that helps. Cheers

+1 for the recommendation of Digital Trends. Been on my RSS feed list for good technology reporting along with Ars Technica, Tech Crunch and Wired. The verge is complete rubbish in terms of reporting and editorials which is a shame because they made a genuinely good site layout. But they need a staff overhaul to be a credible source of tech information.
    06-26-13 11:40 PM
    Five words - "Pride comes before the fall." - Just sayin :-)
    06-26-13 11:44 PM
    Windows Phone should have killed blackberry when they had the chance (2011-2012 era). It's almost unfathomable how Wp has been so mismanaged. It should have been a success, but they seem to get in their own way.
    They should be afraid of BlackBerry. Why? VISION. BlackBerry has a unified vision, and Windows desperately needs to find theirs. Apple is a good example of a company that became successful because of vision.

Posted by Z10
    06-27-13 12:06 AM
    Windows 8 in a PC, sux ... Windows 7 was way better .. Windows 8 in a phone, ... BB10 is probably better (I've never seen anyone with a windows phone)... Xbox one .. cumon' man. PS4 is way better ... I don't know why Microsoft keeps on singing. Just bring it and see what you got... Otherwise just zip it...
    06-27-13 12:19 AM
    Why on earth is XBOX One a failure!?

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    06-27-13 12:31 AM
    While I agree that they are in third place, I hate that they sound SATISFIED with just being third place. If they were just as aggressive with their mobile lineup as they are with Xbox and Windows 8, they could do a lot better.
    06-27-13 12:37 AM
200 123 ...