Hello people, this is my first ever post on the crackberry forums and it is happily about developing a blackberry 10 app.

I have an on going project from windows I would like to now push across platforms and the first platform I have chose is Blackberry 10, My project is a web browser and I know blackberry already has an amazing web browser (I use it everyday) But I would like to give people a choice and also I would like to add as much as possible to my browser, hence why I am here! I would like to know what you would like to have from a blackberry 10 browser, if you had control of features?

If you could leave ideas bellow it would be very nice and I might be able to apply your idea to my browser.

Thank you for your time crackberry community.

Update 1: 27/06/13

I have chosen to create the app in native code but create a custom UI as the blackberry UI however pretty it is has restrictions which mean the app would be less responsive, I am currently toying with different UI designs. I will try update is as much as possible to keep you up to date!
    I have found a program that makes creating the browser very easy, it also will create the browser in native code, It is called Qt Creator

OhHai Browser for BB10 App / Ideas-qtcreator.jpg

Hopefully I will have something for testing within the next few weeks
    New ScreenShot :

Attachment 240133
    Last edited by lucas580; 01-20-14 at 07:07 AM.
    Wolfgan and kbz1960 like this.
    06-26-13 02:05 PM
    Id like the browser have a way to hide the search bar after the page has loaded kind the only thing missing from the stock one
    and a cool tab viewer .
    kbz1960, balenax and lucas580 like this.
    06-26-13 02:11 PM
    I would love to be able to filter content by category. For example ; to block adult content or gambling sites etc.

Posted via CB10
    lucas580 likes this.
    06-26-13 03:32 PM
    Ability to download streaming media

Built in torrent download support

An integrated download manager

BLAZING FAST
    06-26-13 03:42 PM
    That could be a difficult one, maybe in later updates after I have a basic browser running
    06-26-13 03:52 PM
    Ability to change user agents.
    06-26-13 04:19 PM
    * Compatibility with Firefox add-ons
    * DuckDuckGo as the default search engine
    * A "do not track" option
    * The ability to block ads and pop-ups
    * Private browsing
    * Tabbed browsing
    LCromwell, lucas580 and kbz1960 like this.
    06-26-13 05:51 PM
    A browser that has text reflow so that when I double tap to zoom I can actually read the damn font.
    Pete The Penguin and kbz1960 like this.
    06-26-13 06:55 PM
    I find myself browsing and reading articles at night. I try to turn the lights off to prevent from keeping my wife up, but the all-white empty page that shows while a URL is loading kills my eyes in the dark.

So... maybe an option to set a dark 'empty/loading' page? Also an inverted contrast 'reader mode' with dark background and light text would be awesome.

Posted via CB10
    lucas580 likes this.
    06-26-13 07:06 PM
    That could be a difficult one, maybe in later updates after I have a basic browser running
    at least gimme streaming media downloads

oh n user agents
    06-26-13 09:58 PM
    Ability to change the search engines to something like startpage.com and user agent . Clearing cookies and history when you close it,hiding of the address bar. Swiping to go back and forward pages and a quick way to scroll to the top or bottom of a page.

Posted via CB10
    lucas580 likes this.
    06-27-13 12:32 AM
    I am very happy with the feedback I am getting from this post, I have started pulling together a list of user agent and also started looking into what code type to use, currently im stuck between Native or Air.
    06-27-13 11:36 AM
    I am very happy with the feedback I am getting from this post, I have started pulling together a list of user agent and also started looking into what code type to use, currently im stuck between Native or Air.
    I'm not sure that there's a single Air app out there with decent performance, making it a very poor candidate for a web browser, which needs every bit of speed possible.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-13 11:41 AM
    Go Native, preferably C - Air isn't a good solution for a browser due to the performance overheads.

Posted from The Force wielding tap-dancing mouse on secret pantless missions
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-13 11:55 AM
    Ok fair enough, I will look closer into the native side, thank you for the advice
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-27-13 11:56 AM
    Private browsing

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 12:13 PM
    I you look a previous threads related to PlayBook alternate browsers (ie http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...thread-682421/ , http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...elease-809048/) you may see the main requests are usually around:

* Basic customization (home page, search engine, flash / javascript / popup blocking, private mode, tabs, etc)
    * Bookmarks management (from simple import/export to cloud sync)
    * Adblocking
    * Reader mode (simplified view), also related: offline reading mode
    * Downloads manager (also related: media discovery for download -ie youtube videos-)
    * User Agent String configuration (global or it it may be also included as an advanced option for bookmarks, as per site settings)

I agree with others commenting before, if you need to decide on language better go native C++, Cascades; as that's the primary platform for BB10, and where all new features/APIs are made available.
    Looking forward your first release! Wolf
    Last edited by Wolfgan; 06-27-13 at 12:29 PM. Reason: formatting
    kbz1960 and Pete The Penguin like this.
    06-27-13 12:27 PM
    I you look a previous threads related to PlayBook alternate browsers (ie http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...thread-682421/ , http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...elease-809048/) you may see the main requests are usually around:

* Basic customization (home page, search engine, flash / javascript / popup blocking, private mode, tabs, etc)
    * Bookmarks management (from simple import/export to cloud sync)
    * Adblocking
    * Reader mode (simplified view), also related: offline reading mode
    * Downloads manager (also related: media discovery for download -ie youtube videos-)
    * User Agent String configuration (global or it it may be also included as an advanced option for bookmarks, as per site settings)

I agree with others commenting before, if you need to decide on language better go native C++, Cascades; as that's the primary platform for BB10, and where all new features/APIs are made available.
    Looking forward your first release! Wolf
    I totally forgot about C++ for Native apps, this make it easier for using the Cascades UI too.

06-27-13 02:01 PM
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but what is a user agent and what benefits does it provide the average user?

As for my suggestions, they've already been mentioned above: bookmark management, text reflow, ad blocking, and clearing history on close.
    06-27-13 02:26 PM
    I did underestimate the amount of people who want a new browser on BB10, Just thought I would warn this could take awhile to develop, but I will give it my all and try my best to impress the crackberry community, Any help in development or testing would be greatly appreciated
    06-27-13 03:04 PM
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but what is a user agent and what benefits does it provide the average user?

As for my suggestions, they've already been mentioned above: bookmark management, text reflow, ad blocking, and clearing history on close.
    A user agent is what your browser appears as to websites - with some browsers you can change this to make sites designed for one browser work with yours (or work better).

dynot likes this.
    06-27-13 04:17 PM
    No Adobe Air please As everyone else already mentioned, I have not seen an app with decent performance when written in Air. So Cascades will be the way to go I would love to be able to peek between pages.
    Pete The Penguin likes this.
    07-01-13 02:42 AM
    No Adobe Air please As everyone else already mentioned, I have not seen an app with decent performance when written in Air. So Cascades will be the way to go I would love to be able to peek between pages.
    Excellent idea for going through pages, not so easy to create
    07-02-13 04:41 PM
    Any update on this?
    08-12-13 01:32 PM
    Any update on this?
    Hello all,

I have currently been working on our desktop version of the browser because it needed some serious updates, That doesn't mean mobile has been out of mind. I have been doing research on all the functionality the browser needs to have. I don't want to dive in and make a browser then update all the features in. I am working on it and I will give you all a proper update ASAP.
    the_igg likes this.
    08-14-13 11:49 AM
38 12