I am waiting for the BB Bold to come to AT&T and I was just wondering. How is the media player on it? I recently got rid of my iPhone 3G due to email frustrations and went to a BB Pearl. I have to say, the media player sucks compared to an iPod. I've been on the iPod bandwagon for years but I want to just carry one device that does pretty much everything including play mp3s. So all this is to say, does everyone use the standard built-in media player on the Bold or is there some media player that I'm currently oblivious to for the BB OS?
    10-13-08 05:42 PM
    I am VERY happy with what the Bold offers. I wanted to consolidate everything onto one phone, and that included music. Overall, the music interface is as easy to use as ipod(been an ipod user since the second gen 10gb ipod). To skip forward a song, press down the increase volume button, and vice versa for back tracking a song. To pause hold down the space key. Obviously it isn't AS easy to use as the ipod, but pretty darn close considering all its other functions. One annoying thing is since it runs on media card, switching songs, going into another menu, etc, takes slightly longer to load.

I think you will be satisfied with the Bold media player, well, music player at least.
    10-13-08 09:07 PM
    As far as I can understand the iPhone is better than the Bold in most media related aspects. I however am pleasantly surprised by what is on offer with the Bold.

I'm able to play my Divx and Xvid movies, there's not a great deal of system lag when I have music playing and I'm navigating around sending messages ect.

Also the crisp screen quality just adds to the appeal.

Coming from an iPhone you may be disappointed.. but if you only use it every so often, you may not notice too much of a difference.
    10-13-08 09:30 PM
    So I received the first test Bold on 7/3. That was the last day I used my iPod Nano that I previously used at least 1 hr per day for the previous two years...

If your interested in getting back to a single device this will serve well for most people...
    10-13-08 09:39 PM
    So I received the first test Bold on 7/3. That was the last day I used my iPod Nano that I previously used at least 1 hr per day for the previous two years...

If your interested in getting back to a single device this will serve well for most people...
    So, I can kick my numerous mp3 players to the curve finally. Yay!
    10-13-08 09:49 PM
    So, I can kick my numerous mp3 players to the curve finally. Yay!
    I just give you my opinion, everyone is different and what I prefer may not suit someone else but I like the progress RIM has made on the media issues....
    10-13-08 10:07 PM
    You're all being very nice toward a product that can't even maintain a good frame rate unlike the Iphone.
    10-13-08 11:14 PM
    You're all being very nice toward a product that can't even maintain a good frame rate unlike the Iphone.
    I'm not sure what your running on yours but I don't have any problems with frame rates..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-08 11:59 PM
    it's sound and picture quality (when videos are encoded correctly) are great. i am selling my mp3 player and just using my 8gb micro sd to store the music i want to listen to on the go.
    10-14-08 02:51 AM
    I have found that videos need re-encoding to play on my bold ones already processed for my ipod are very stuttery.

The photo viewing is not the best either (unless I am missing something)

Music seems good, no complaints there.
    10-14-08 03:18 AM
    The only real gripe I have is how I am not able to repeat ONE song.
    10-14-08 03:22 AM
    The media player is decent ... the interface is nowhere close to a Touch/Iphone ...

But the sound quality and video quality that i've experienced is very good.

Try out an app called miutunes, its a similar interface to the iphone media player for BB...
    10-14-08 04:37 AM
    I have been using an Archos as my PMP during commute but since getting the bold the Archos has been staying home. yes the screen is smaller but the resolution is great. I watch TV series like Heroes, Sarah Connor, etc on my way to the office and back home. you do need to encode files to suit the resolution for the best performance, but carrying just one gadget is a big plus. no complaint and no stuttering here.
    10-14-08 04:39 AM
    I too am having stuttering problem playing mp4 video files on my Bold. Frame rates drop every now and then. The screen shows green color.

Anyone have better experience with other types of videos?
    10-14-08 06:48 AM
    I too am having stuttering problem playing mp4 video files on my Bold. Frame rates drop every now and then. The screen shows green color.

Anyone have better experience with other types of videos?
    I use a 2 stage process,

Rip DVD (that I own)
    Convert to an MP4 in visual hub
    Then take the VH file and run it through IMTOO using the BB setting.

It is a pain and probably avoidable but I am yet to find a VH setting that plays properly and files previously converted to the iphone/pod touch format do not play properly and still need to be ran through IMTOO.
    10-14-08 08:13 AM
    I put tje playlist and enjoy my music! the earphones are so much better!
    I dont care about the scrolling between songs, and it is easy! it can play music of good quality!
    I like listening to music on bold. Seconds, which I spend putting the songs might not be THAT entertaining, but listening itself, is as good as it should be...
    10-23-08 09:14 PM
    mine cant play 200mb file. lag and sound not very good.

but the sample are great. why is that?
    10-24-08 10:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD