I read an article earlier today that reiterates something I've heard at the BlackBerry events I've witnessed. It states that the platform, not the phone is the key. I have heard this several times from BlackBerry and I just remembered, or connected all the dots.

What's the biggest difference between the Galaxy S3 and the S4? Software, I love the Z10 that I am using to write this post right now, the updates whether it was the updates I received while running 10.0 or the 10.1 I am running now have made this phone more and more enjoyable. If BlackBerry continues to update this OS more frequently than its rivals and consitently makes it more feature rich, they will succeed.

I remember my biggest gripe about Android was that my phones would be great, and then the new version of Android would come out and of course I'd get no update and my phone would lack in comparison to the new phones which of course "feature" the new OS. This was extremely frustrating and maybe it was a marketing scheme to make people buy new phones, but after the first couple times, It made me ready to hop off of the OS. No one wants to get a phone that just gets left in the dust once a new one comes out.

If BlackBerry continues to support their older phones in to the future, which will be the Z10, Q10, and Q5, once the A10 and the next couple of phones launch, the OS will do much better, customers will be content with their phones and continue to buy blackberry because of their unprecedented support of their products. This is where the DROID family falls short and BlackBerry should capitalize on it. Sure at some point or another the OS may outgrow the phone but in the case of many Androids, no one but the consumer cared to update them.

I may be wrong but I feel a new OS update keeps a phone feeling just as new as new hardware. If BlackBerry can improve the BB10 OS and keep those updates coming and relevant to all of the phones on the platform I am sure I would hold on to my phone much longer and continue to buy their phones. Would you?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by NickDomi; 06-22-13 at 09:38 PM.
    06-22-13 04:57 AM
    Odd I thought it was because of the improvements new and better screen and camera, bigger screen, better battery and new features like that eye things. BlackBerry has always done a good job a supporting it's products in software updates except the PlayBook.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    06-22-13 05:08 AM
    Odd I thought it was because of the improvements new and better screen and camera, bigger screen, better battery and new features like that eye things. BlackBerry has always done a good job a supporting it's products in software updates except the PlayBook.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    Yes and no, the eye thing is software, but the things that Samsung have bragged about the most are all Software, in fact all of those features will all be available to the S3 pending an update Samsung recently announced. Yes there were some hardware improvements, but beyond the screen, camera, processor, and battery life, Samsung really didn't break any mind blowing technological ground. Yes the specs are nice, but it's the software improvements that make that phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:23 AM
    Great thoughts.
    I'm also happy with the OS and i hope that BlackBerry maintains the OS1x series for current and new devices. Not as in the past where so many OS updates where on the floor and everyone was running on a different version.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:47 AM
    Same here, I believe if they can keep this OS relevant to all of the phones launched after they rose from the ashes of BB7 and there highly publicized refusal to evolve. BlackBerry will mount a come back, beginning with the Z10 and continuing into the future. It gets harder after this, keeping an OS attractive to consumers is hard, but they can do this.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 05:57 AM
    Agreed. The bandwidth what users want to see is larger than years before. This will challenging BB. They should see this as an purely operating system instead a firmware as in the past.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 06:04 AM
    Updates don't matter if consumers can't download them due to constant delays.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 11:17 AM
    Updates don't matter if consumers can't download them due to constant delays.

Posted via CB10
    Well I understand that better than anyone, I have Verizon, didn't stop me from getting 10.1 on my phone. The delays due to the carrier and the delays on BlackBerry's end of the deal are not the same. They stuck to their word but some carriers are more nonchalant about the speed of their carrier testing.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 01:06 PM
    Wow, a well thought out post. It obviously does not belong on here lol
    NickDomi likes this.
    06-22-13 01:12 PM
    Wow, a well thought out post. It obviously does not belong on here lol
    Thanks! I have been a fan of BlackBerry for a while and I'd really like to see them capture back their Market Share; Rome wasn't built in a Day.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-22-13 01:28 PM
    As long as their main way to attract developers UA by porting android apps via the player, I don't see a reason to consider their devices. Android player should not be a headline feature to get me to buy your phone, never mind some android apps aren't good so with that player they are missing out on potentially superior ports from devs that would come over anyways. The android apps lack a true native feel on BBOS as well. Many look completely foreign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    06-22-13 01:30 PM
    As long as their main way to attract developers UA by porting android apps via the player, I don't see a reason to consider their devices. Android player should not be a headline feature to get me to buy your phone, never mind some android apps aren't good so with that player they are missing out on potentially superior ports from devs that would come over anyways. The android apps lack a true native feel on BBOS as well. Many look completely foreign.

I understand what you are saying, but I do not agree. BlackBerry put the player in there phones to appease their customers. Downloading a .bar and sideloading it to your phone does in no way hurt the dev. In my opinion it helps the dev, giving a fan of that dev's apps access to those apps until They can produce a native BlackBerry App or port their app over. The dev benefits from this because the don't lose their consumers to other similar apps simply because they were unavailable. I'd rather have a Company provide me options to sideload from the competition, rather than tell me tuff luck, we don't have it. More is better for the consumer.

Posted via CB10
    Jerale Hoard likes this.
    06-22-13 01:39 PM

I have Instagram on My z10 and it runs better them on my nexus 4 and LG 3d thrill, porting isn't the way there promoting getting apps on there phones either. Bb10 supports, adobe air, html5, and si much more, they have bent over backwards for developers left and right. Porting could be good but sone developers that get lazy and don't change simple code to help there app run better on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 08:09 PM
    I have Instagram on My z10 and it runs better them on my nexus 4 and LG 3d thrill, porting isn't the way there promoting getting apps on there phones either. Bb10 supports, adobe air, html5, and si much more, they have bent over backwards for developers left and right. Porting could be good but sone developers that get lazy and don't change simple code to help there app run better on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    I love my sideloaded apps

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    06-22-13 08:42 PM
    They do need to do better than they did with BBOS as not many models could update from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 and we know none to BB10. But if they could hurt phone sales if a 5 year old phone can get updates and run well.
    06-22-13 08:56 PM
    They do need to do better than they did with BBOS as not many models could update from 5 to 6 or 6 to 7 and we know none to BB10. But if they could hurt phone sales if a 5 year old phone can get updates and run well.
    I agree holding on to device support for five years could, and probably will hurt sales for almost any company. I guess I wasn't very clear. A two year OS cycle is about ideal. Most Carriers do a two year contract agreement, so not doing any major OS overhaul for two years, with timely and considerate updates in between really makes sense. As people who flocked to your new exciting OS or devices reach the end of their contact they are met by your next new devices and OS. This keeps the consumer interested and of course satisfied with their devices. As flexible as this new QNX based OS is I don't see too much the competition can create that BlackBerry can't replicate or improve upon. That said I hope they can continue to innovate and keep bringing useful and original features to their devices.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 09:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Android supports air too. Html 5 as well. Your point. And sorry but I've felt the diff between emulated ports and native android devices running apps. You're either picking out an edge case, lying, or blowing it out of proportion. My phone runs instagram with literally no performance issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    06-29-13 06:02 PM