So Bla1ze wrote up an article today about the pictures app and it is very limited. He seemed to not know that you can make albums VIA the File Manager though, you don't have to use BBLink.

So here's a tip on how to improve you Pictures Application experience and it'll help you find and organize pictures much better.

Just navigate to your photos folder on your SD card or Phone, and just create a new folder, rename it, and place some pictures in it. It gives you an album view in the last tab once having done that, here is a picture of it:

Apparently This Isn't Known About The Pictures App - Very Useful for Organization-9sp9bu5.jpg

ALSO - If you make subfolders within the folders, it then breaks up the pictures within an album, sorting them beautifully by category alphabetically. Takes some time to set up, but I have everything organized SOOO nicely now, so easy to find things.. Just need to allow the user ability to organize it that way by not having to navigate over to the File Manager. Here is inside of an album in action:

Apparently This Isn't Known About The Pictures App - Very Useful for Organization-ikds611.jpg

(Notice the three headings that it sorts the images by?)

Hope this helped a few people, didn't realize it wasn't common knowledge until seeing that even Bla1ze didn't know that you could do this through the File Manager app!

Post is in reference to this article: http://crackberry.com/brainstorming-...g-pictures-app

You can read my post for my own input on the matter and improving the pictures app if you want, I'm the first post and wrote up a bit, enjoy!
    06-17-13 10:01 AM
    I had this figured out a ways back! Good post though and well done!!
    06-17-13 10:06 AM
    I had this figured out a ways back! Good post though and well done!!
    Thanks and yeah, I assumed many did, but once I saw that even Bla1ze didn't know, I figured that I should do a quick write up for the rest.
    06-17-13 10:18 AM
    so what your saying is that to make a folder of images in the pictures app, I have to use the files app and not the pictures app? how can that be a good thing?

Also lets say seeing the properties of a picture (size for example) or the name of the image? yea I have to use the files app not the pictures app. That's a terrible UX to have, yet again things that were possible in BBOS but not in BB10.
    06-17-13 10:24 AM
    In 10.2 there's changes to the pics app

Apparently This Isn't Known About The Pictures App - Very Useful for Organization-img_00000002_edit.png

Posted via CB10
    Balti43 likes this.
    06-17-13 10:26 AM
    Yeah found that out this weekend after people whored my Z for pics and I had to share pics with non techy peopel who dont know what box and the like is.
    06-17-13 10:55 AM
    In 10.2 there's changes to the pics app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000002_edit.png 
Views:	4612 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	173136

Posted via CB10
    Yes and no.. In 10.2 all they did was change the icon and name for the "Date" tab from "Camera".

Same functionality though, they did add a "properties" edit button though on images which is nice. But what you showed is just a visual change that they did. "Camera" was just a poorly worded title that made little sense.
    06-17-13 11:35 AM
    I'd figured out the folders but haven't found a way to simply rename images and videos. Is there one?
    06-17-13 12:21 PM
    I'd figured out the folders but haven't found a way to simply rename images and videos. Is there one?
    On 10.2 it's coming, they added a "properties" to the options and you can edit the name there. Skip on over to 2:40 seconds to see it:

Corbu likes this.
    06-17-13 12:50 PM
    If you do this from the file manager you can do it by long pressing on an item and select in properties, then edit and you can rename, not sure bout the pictures app but in 10.2 you can

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 01:04 PM
    F4B - is that your video? I would like to congratulate you, if so, as it is well done, and you do a great job communicating and navigating directly to what you want to show.

I appreciate your efforts in this thread, not sure how I "discovered" this feature, but pretty sure I've been using it since the first couple of days with the Z. Hope your clear descriptions help others get a handle on their pics.
    06-17-13 02:25 PM
    Thanks op it was new to me.

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 03:57 PM
    F4B - is that your video? I would like to congratulate you, if so, as it is well done, and you do a great job communicating and navigating directly to what you want to show.

I appreciate your efforts in this thread, not sure how I "discovered" this feature, but pretty sure I've been using it since the first couple of days with the Z. Hope your clear descriptions help others get a handle on their pics.
    Haha had to read that a few times to realize that you were referring to me. Havent been called F4B before, but I kinda like it.. it's like B4B (Built For BlackBerry).

But anyways, no, it is is not my video. That's James over at BerryFlow.com. We focus more on developer support over at OpenSourceBB.com rather than new leaks and news. Sorry, shoulda posted credit on the video when throwing it in here, my bad!

Thanks op it was new to me.

Posted via CB10
    Good! Glad to be of help

Posted via CB10
    06-17-13 06:35 PM
    WOW Flip4Bytes, can't believe I didn't know this. I was growing increasingly more frustrated with trying to locate pictures. This makes it so much easier to navigate.

BlackBerry should really give you the ability to create Albums within the Pictures app, then behind the scenes, the files get moved to the correct location under Photos as a user adds items to the album.
    06-18-13 02:22 PM
    Hi Alex

Can you please help me. If you notice that in the Pictures app. you can also see the Videos you have downloaded or shot using the BB Camera. Now i dont want that to be seen in there as i always use the Video App.Is there a way to Turn it off please .

Regards,
    Dinu
    Q10SQN100-3/10.3.1.1016
    S/R- 10.3.1.652
    01-01-15 12:45 PM
    WOW Flip4Bytes, can't believe I didn't know this. I was growing increasingly more frustrated with trying to locate pictures. This makes it so much easier to navigate.

BlackBerry should really give you the ability to create Albums within the Pictures app, then behind the scenes, the files get moved to the correct location under Photos as a user adds items to the album.
    I name my pictures while they are still in the camera folder on my SIM. (through the file manager). That way I can delete the useless ones at the same time. If you press and hold the thumbnail you can find properties where you can rename.
    I can then move everything from the camera folder to folders I have previously set up, or create a new one. You can move several pictures are a time. File Manager is such a useful app!!
    I also do it the way the OP described.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    Sallem likes this.
    01-01-15 06:42 PM
    Check my post above

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    01-01-15 06:43 PM
    I want to know why pictures take up to 5 minutes to appear in my galleries.

Whether a screen shot, download or camera pic, they don't show in the pictures folder right away.

Its really annoying. Answers?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 06:57 AM

You can.
    While in album view hold a picture to get the overflow menu and select move.
    Then select new album.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 07:07 AM
    It doesn't mean Bla1ze doesn't know...
    Maybe he just didn't mention it.
    Or thought it was already commonly known.

Anyway, good write up.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 07:12 AM
    so what your saying is that to make a folder of images in the pictures app, I have to use the files app and not the pictures app? how can that be a good thing?

Also lets say seeing the properties of a picture (size for example) or the name of the image? yea I have to use the files app not the pictures app. That's a terrible UX to have, yet again things that were possible in BBOS but not in BB10.
    Actually u create your folders in the files app, but u can arrange your pics from within the picture app, not as bad as you may think. Though the option to select multiple pics and create an album from within the pictures app is what it's supposed to be.

Passport Powered
    01-02-15 07:26 AM
    The pictures app is so terrible... I can't believe that when you click back from scrolling through your photos it returns to the photo you originally clicked instead of the one that you were on last... It's just so silly and messy.

Posted via CB10
    01-02-15 07:32 AM
    I have been making folders for my pictures for quite some time, and it is very helpful to keep things in good order, and easier to find what I need.
    01-02-15 03:36 PM
    I have been making folders for my pictures for quite some time, and it is very helpful to keep things in good order, and easier to find what I need.
    Agreed. And I have copied many of the folders from my computer to my BB so I even have some very old pictures. As they are all labeled, I can do a search from the home screen and find any picture, document or folder, just as I would on my PC.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    01-02-15 07:32 PM
    It doesn't mean Bla1ze doesn't know...
    Maybe he just didn't mention it.
    Or thought it was already commonly known.

Anyway, good write up.

Posted via CB10
    omgggggggggggggggggg

This post was written nearly 2 years ago and it was in reference to a blog article that Bla1ze wrote up. For some stupid reason, someone re-opened this thread and then noone pays attentions to the dates..

It was in reference to this blog article here - Brainstorming BB10: Improving the Pictures app | CrackBerry.com where Bla1ze discussed how the pictures app needed to be improved. I explained a few things that were actually already working that he mentioned he wanted to work, it just wasn't overly obvious.

Either way IGNORE THIS THREAD.. CLOSE IT.. I don't know! People really need to pay attention to dates though and not open a 2 year old thread..
    01-07-15 09:28 AM
26 12