I need one like a slide-out/flip-out mini keyboard (thumbpad) like you can get for iPhone--and MUST be a solution that will allow me to hold my BB like normal (not set on lap/table) and type on it no matter where I am at a moment's notice in order for me to even consider buying the Z10 for business use (love the idea of having the screen for customer signatures with my RoamPay cc swiper).

I've tried out the Z10's virtual keyboard and I just find it extremely clumsy, slow and inaccurate. I can type 10x faster with 80% more accuracy (and zero annoying word suggestion screwing up my sentences/typing) using my old Palm Centro's little keyboard!

Anyway, I've been googling and asking around, no luck yet. Anyone here know of something I could use or do? I really want to get this thing!
    Last edited by Berrysmoothy; 06-16-13 at 07:53 PM.
    06-16-13 04:22 PM
    I don't think there is a slide out type of keyboard available for the Z10 yet.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 04:32 PM
    There was somebody designing one in this forum, don't remember who at the moment thou.

- Epically posted via CB10 on Z10!
    06-16-13 04:39 PM
    man if someone knows who, I'd really like to find out from them how progress is moving along for that and when they expect to have some sell-able models ready!
    There was somebody designing one in this forum, don't remember who at the moment thou.

- Epically posted via CB10 on Z10!
    06-16-13 04:44 PM
    If you don't mind carrying two phones, you can use a old physical keyboard blackberry via wifi, which you can provide from your Z10. I haven't experiments to see if bridging is a better alternative.

The problem with users accustomed to the physical keyboard, well at least in my case, you used to use your thumbs. That is tough on the Z10. In landscape mode, I can use my index fingers and still hold the phone.

I find I am use the keyboard feature where the word you are starting to type appears in the space bar. It is damn scarey how it reads my mind. I wish I was a bit better at "flicking words." The most likely word appears in the space bar, but sometimes the works by the keys have the correct choice.

One big mistake IMHO blackberry made is the size of the return key. I often go to hit the period and do a return instead. Unless you are some sort of tweeter, you will be entering the period way more often than a return.

Speaking of the old physical keyboard blackberries, your blackberry email address will be going away. It shows up on the old blackberry, but not on the Z10. I'm not particularly happy about that.
    Berrysmoothy likes this.
    06-16-13 04:50 PM
    Yah I don't see how having two BB smartphones on me all the time would work for me. I need to get a new notebook anyway so I could just get use the 9900 for all my word doc typing on the go, and a touchscreen notebook-tablet hybrid or a Playbook for sigs if I had no other choice.

btw, as far as the email thing, what will it turn into? I'm just in the prepping stages of starting my business and and still haven't gotten around to buying a BB for myself. So I'm not totally familar with BB's OS, setup, etc other than the fact that it's preferred in the business world for security reasons.

Anyway, I've got my eyes on the 9900 if the Z10 doesn't pan out for me (Q10 has issues and limitation I don't think I want to deal with).

I wonder is the new A10 will have an actual keyboard when it comes out? Haven't read too much into that yet.
    If you don't mind carrying two phones, you can use a old physical keyboard blackberry via wifi, which you can provide from your Z10. I haven't experiments to see if bridging is a better alternative.

The problem with users accustomed to the physical keyboard, well at least in my case, you used to use your thumbs. That is tough on the Z10. In landscape mode, I can use my index fingers and still hold the phone.

I find I am use the keyboard feature where the word you are starting to type appears in the space bar. It is damn scarey how it reads my mind. I wish I was a bit better at "flicking words." The most likely word appears in the space bar, but sometimes the works by the keys have the correct choice.

One big mistake IMHO blackberry made is the size of the return key. I often go to hit the period and do a return instead. Unless you are some sort of tweeter, you will be entering the period way more often than a return.

Speaking of the old physical keyboard blackberries, your blackberry email address will be going away. It shows up on the old blackberry, but not on the Z10. I'm not particularly happy about that.
    06-16-13 05:45 PM
    BlackBerry emails are going away completely for bb10.

On my sweet Z10 with CB10!
    06-16-13 05:58 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...20/index2.html

theres an awesome thread about it here
    Berrysmoothy and pili4 like this.
    06-16-13 06:59 PM

Glad you were able to find it as I could not.

06-16-13 07:02 PM
    SWEET! thank you

06-16-13 07:03 PM
    BlackBerry emails are going away completely for bb10.

There is supposedly some hook to forward your old blackberry email account to another account. At that goes away in January. What I meant was you can use your old blackberry for email getting connectivity from the new blackberry. I'm pretty sure you need to have your blackberry ID on the old phone, just like you do on the playbook, so they are synced to the degree blackberry allows. [Bridging is something else.]

The deal with the Z10 is the virtual keyboard is pretty good. With a bit of practice, you can be as effective as on the physical keyboard. On the physical keyboard, I would occasionally hit two keys at a time, so theings weren't exactly ideal either. I've had a curve and two bolds, so I have some experience with the physical keyboard. The Z10 error rate, at least for me, is pretty close to the error rate I had on the physical keyboard. In fact, I wasn't even going to bother with the Z10 but played with one at a kiosk and found the keyboard to be the best virtual keyboard I ever used.

I have an old G2 with the slide out keyboard. It gets old carrying something that heavy in your pocket. Further, the keyboard they used is not the same quality as the Blackberry physical keyboard.

Personally I wish Blackberry would not dump the blackberry accounts. Mine came in handy during a hacker attacks where my email was totally owned by some arse using an exploit in Roundcube. There was no way a hacker could get at the Blackberry email.

Virtually all email these days, unless you host it youself, have internet gateways that have been exploited in the past. Yahoo is probably the worst.
    Roundcube : Security vulnerabilities
    SANS: Malware FAQ: Remote command execution vulnerabilities in Squirrelmail

I really liked the blackberry email account specifically because it only went to the phone. It isn't entirely clear that the service will be dropped since the older operating systems still have the feature. Not everyone will be dumping their Bold or Curve phones.
    06-16-13 09:17 PM