So, I've not been particularly pleased with the direction that apple is taking its products recently, and I've been very impressed by what I've seen and read about the Z10, so a couple of days ago I took the plunge and upgraded my iphone4s to the Z10. Here are my first impressions, hopefully useful for someone thinking similarly about jumping ship.

First impressions: Short Answer. The phone itself is amazing. The ap ecosystem SUCKS. details to follow.

I'll start with the bad to get it out of the way. I've downloaded and purchased several apps from blackberry world. These are not obscure aps, but aps that are featured on the front page. Half of them (including some that I paid for) simply refuse to run. They go to a logo screen (some of them oddly show the blackberry logo as they are load), then they crash. I've tried rebooting the phone, but it doesn't help. I have never had that happen on my iphone, much less have it happen to half the aps I've tried (also aps seem to take a long time to load). I have iphone aps that I never used because I didn't like them, but they at least ran. This is so frustrating to me because I'm now extremely hesitant to buy any application from blackberry world. the QA seems awful. I'll try emailing customer service for these companies tomorrow, but this is not cool.

Aps that refuse to run for me include Solitaire, 4 pic word challenge HD, Enigmatis, and there were a couple of others that I deleted because they didn't work (don't recall their names). This is crazy to me. It seems that the ap ecosystem on blackberry is not ready for prime time. Even the aps I've downloaded that do work are often terribly buggy. I bought Television Tablet TV, and was pleased to see that it streamed content quite well, until I tried hitting the pause button, which simply didn't work. My favorite game on the iPhone was Jetpack Joyride. I was thrilled to find that it was available on the Z10. Until I tried playing it. It will actually load some of the time, (though often it crashes). When it does play, It's only fine for about 10 seconds or so, then it lags (almost like a stutter). Every ten to twenty seconds it seems to pause, just long enough to be REALLY annoying. It makes the game so frustrating that I simply don't enjoy playing it on the Z10. That's actually the thing I MOST want to get fixed. I sure hope it will be. In fact, if I could get that and a decent solitare working, I'd be thrilled. So far no luck.

Maybe there's something wrong with my phone? Should I try to refresh it or something? Or wait for the new OS to come out and try them again? or uninstall/reinstall them? (If I uninstall a commercial ap, I assume I won't have to pay to download it again?) I know it sounds like I'm just bashing the phone but actually I love it, I just want it to work properly!

It's just so frustrating. I could never recommend a Z10 to someone else until this situation gets fixed. And yet, I do hope that as the ap ecosystem for the Z10 matures that it will get fixed. I haven't given up on the Z10 yet because I think otherwise it's an amazing phone. The aps that came preinstalled on it work flawlessly. And Some of the aps that I've downloaded work brilliantly. So I know that it's possible to have a great app on the phone. The phone itself is brilliant!

Here is what I love about the phone:

1) The hub.
    2) The hub.
    3) The hub. Did I mention the hub? I could keep going. It's such a wonderful, elegant design. Work, different personal email accounts, facebook, etc....It's SO much easier to keep track of and manage with the hub.
    4) The screen is much better than the screen on my iPhone 4s. It's just a beautiful phone to look at. It's bright, sharp, the colors are vivid and the text is crisp.
    5) The Control. I'm very pleased with the level of control that the phone offers. It really lets you fine tune things the way you want them. It's possible to really personalize your phone.
    6) the little red led notification thing. Honestly I thought I'd hate that, but I have found it to be quite useful. it's not as obtrusive as I feared it might be, and so I'm glad it's there.
    7) Voice control It works great. It's very limited compared to siri, but what it does I'm very happy with. I do wish it would let me set a timer/alarm. That's mostly what I used siri for. perhaps in an update that functionality will be added.
    8) Ergonomics. The iphone 4s was horribly uncomfortable in my hand. The blackberry z10 feels very comfortable when I hold it. That's actually a bigger deal than it sounds.
    9) Love the web browser. It's so much better than safari on the iPhone. It just rocks. It's FAST, it renders beautifully, and so far it's been rock solid stable.

One more question, A lot of the Z10's search functionality seems tied to Bing. Is there a way to change it to google?

I know there are lots of features of the phone that I have yet to explore (like the incredibly cool camera stuff). So despite my complaints about non-functioning and poorly functioning aps I intend to keep this phone. maybe in 2 or 3 months all these bugs will be ironed out....If that happens this will clearly be the best phone on the market at least in my opinion.
    sisko2003 likes this.
    06-16-13 01:00 AM
    I agree with you almost 100% although the apps are getting better at a quick pace. In a year I am guessing the BB10 app ecosystem will be on par with Apple and Android.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 01:10 AM
    I think there is something wrong with your phone. There's a surfeit of useless Android ports out there but I've seen nothing like what you're reporting with crashes. Jet pack joyride, for example, has been played for many hours in my phone with never a crash.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 01:11 AM
    I agree with rider, I too have played jet pack joyride both on my iPod touch and on my Z10 and the experience has been the same, save for the better z10 screen. The reason the BlackBerry logo appears before some apps is because it's launching the android app player/runner (the app you're attempting to start up is an android app). In my experiences, this only happens once after restarting the phone, after it launches once other droid apps load right up. But on the whole, I don't have issues like that with apps at all. My native BlackBerry apps, ported apps from bbw, and sideloaded apps all run pretty well. Also, if you uninstall an app (paid or free) you can certainly re-install it through bbw, free of charge; although, if you choose to delete it, I'm not entirely sure. Glad you're liking the phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 01:25 AM
    first ... U need to upgrade os version to 10.1
    06-16-13 01:30 AM
    check your OS, if you're not 10.1 a lot of apps won't work
    06-16-13 02:36 AM
    Nice review and feedback.

Thanks for sharing.

So glad to hear the Z10 is mostly working well for you.

~STV
    06-16-13 02:41 AM
    Bing be changed to google can by clicking on the icon when it appears (top right) when you begin typing on the search bar

Posted via CB10
    chazk likes this.
    06-16-13 03:08 AM
    Updating the OS will sort out most of the problems. Yes bing can be changed to Google .Enjoy your Z10.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 03:18 AM
    I know this doesn't help you, but all I can say is that Jet Pa k Joyride has never crashed on me even once since I got the phone almost 3 months ago.

And I'm still on OS 10.0.

I would guess it's a software issue, as the American carriers are always 2 months behind every other country on Earth when it comes to pushing updates.

Not sure why this is, but the US lags behind all third world countries when it comes to updates.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 03:37 AM
    I agree with you almost 100% although the apps are getting better at a quick pace. In a year I am guessing the BB10 app ecosystem will be on par with Apple and Android.

Posted via CB10
    I cant take you seriously with your photo....i dont know whether to tilt my head to and stare and that beautiful pup(in a non creepy way of course) or continue in the forums
    06-16-13 03:39 AM
    If 50% of the apps aren't working, exchange the phone. Generally speaking, BlackBerry World apps work. I've only had issues with Android apps that have been ported (though not many issues) and side loaded. Everything else works green for me.

Agree with your overall assessment of the device.

Keith. Posted by CB10.
    06-16-13 04:30 AM
    Finally. A well written review from a former non blackberry user. Thanks a lot. U made my day
    06-16-13 04:44 AM
    Hmm after reading your post I thought I would try out Jetpack Joyride (been meaning to for a while anyway) but the install fails. It downloads and starts to install but halfway through the installation it just stops and gives me an error. This is the first time I encounter such issue with an app.

Out of curiosity... is the new iOS7 design one of the directions that you do not like?
    06-16-13 05:06 AM
    Type something in browser, you will be showed the drop down menu with search machine, and change bing to Google, that's it

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 05:30 AM
    I actually experience the same thing during Jet pack Joyride. It's almost like a little stutter while playing. It's sad cause I play it on my PlayBook but it is smooth as butter. While on the Z10 it gives me that little stutter. Sigh. I like that game too. So I'm stuck playing other games to pass the time.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 05:38 AM
    I haven't had any functional issues with apps, even when I was on 10.0. Perhaps a security wipe would help.
    06-16-13 05:45 AM
    Co sign. I get about 20 seconds of play from jetpack joyride and then it crashes (n)

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 05:52 AM
    Something doesnt sound right to me with this "review". Let me get this right, you say the app ecosystem "sucks" but according to the replies, the problems you're having with the handful of apps you mentioned, are either a software issue or you have a bad phone, they shouldn't be happening. Now, assume that you get that sorted out, and those apps are working okay, you would then have nothing to complain about with the Z10 right? The app ecosystem would no longer "suck"? For you, it would be just as good as the Apple app ecosystem? Yeah right! TO ME, this "review" sounds like something a BB fanboy would write to try and minimize the weakness of the app ecosystem, no way it sounds like somebody honestly comparing the iPhone app ecosystem with BB10 apps. I also don't think this will be "useful for someone thinking similarly about jumping ship". Just my opinion!
    06-16-13 06:11 AM
    I cant take you seriously with your photo....i dont know whether to tilt my head to and stare and that beautiful pup(in a non creepy way of course) or continue in the forums
    Well I'll take that as a compliment on Tucker then.. thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-16-13 10:34 AM
    Very nice review. Im getting more and more informed about my new z10
    Last edited by DanDany; 06-17-13 at 03:46 PM.
    06-16-13 10:45 AM
    Wait for the update it should fix your issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-16-13 11:04 AM