Hi I think this should be posted on the front news or crackberry can do a better write up. But it's very important because people are comparing blackberry z10 and Q10 screens at full brightness setting to other phones and seeing that the phones aren't as bright then blaming the phones. But it's not the phones it's the brightness slider setting, let me explain.

I was in a discussion earlier in the Q10 section where a user complained about how his Q10 isn't as bright as other phone screens when pictures are taken in comparable environments.

I tried to explain to him several times that the Q10 and Z10 use the GLO algorithm which was mentioned before on here by crackberry but very basic info was given.

We spent a lot of time developing the "GLO" algorithm ("Garber Light Optimization", after the engineer who developed it) to automatically adjust the display backlight setting to provide the user with the same perceived brightness regardless of the ambient illumination level. The slider moves that auto-dimming curve up and down to match a user's preference.

So what does this mean?

It means that the slider isn't really an auto brightness controller for your screen it's a setting that let's you decide how your phone adjusts your screens display based on the type of environment you are in. Here is an example.

Slider Max - Tries to simulate the environment you are in. If you are in a bright room the screen will be bright if you are in a dark room it will dim.

Slider Low - Will dim when you are in a light room and be bright in a dark room you will see this in the pictures the user posted.

A user was posting these pictures showing how the Q10 at full brightness in a dark room isn't as bright as a iPhone 5 in a dark room.
    IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-crackberry-image-2.jpg

You can see the Q10 is dimmer but that's because the Q10 slider is set to max and the phone is in the dark room so it will dim the screen. Here you can see the iPhone doesn't have the Algorithm so it's working like if the Q10 was set to low.

IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-crackberry-image1.jpg

In this picture you can see when it's set to low the phone will increase brightness in a dark room and decrease it in a light room.

The point is, people are confused about the brightness slider on the Q10 and z10. They set it to high expecting a very bright screen in a dark room but it does the opposite because it's simulating your environment.

Also people are comparing the brightness on the Q10 when it's slider is set to max because they don't know what it does. At Max it will imitate the light provided by the environment in which the phone is in. So these comparisons aren't being done correctly.

The biggest point is that you can't take the Q10 on max settings into a room with an bold 9900 and an iPhone 5 in max brightness and then wonder why the Q10 is a lot Dimmer. I think the tests that were done probably made this error, the q10 would have dimmed the screen in the dark room because it's set to max GLO and as a result will imitate the dark room environment to the Max producing a dim screen.

Thanks.

Hope I explained it well.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by zten; 06-16-13 at 11:05 AM.
    06-15-13 08:03 PM
    Well said well said

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    06-15-13 08:18 PM
    I always keep mine on low to save battery, should I be setting it at high instead?
    06-15-13 08:34 PM
    I always keep mine on low to save battery, should I be setting it at high instead?
    If you keep it low you will waste more battery when you are in dark room because the screen will be much brighter
    But it will be dimmer when you are outside or in bright rooms.

Or set it to middle.

Posted via CB10
    sklotz2000 likes this.
    06-15-13 08:42 PM
    Great write up but if people are getting confused, including myself, then I think BlackBerry should include a video on the phone explaining how this works. Thanks for the info.

posted via CB10
    06-15-13 08:43 PM
    Great write up but if people are getting confused, including myself, then I think BlackBerry should include a video on the phone explaining how this works. Thanks for the info.

posted via CB10
    I agree with you!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 08:51 PM
    Wow I had no idea about this! It's awesome and BlackBerry really needs to have this in a commercial or something.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 08:54 PM
    To everyone reading this thread, the OP is incorrect. The brightness slider will brighten and darken as you expect it to. I am speaking from experience as it behaves on the Q10.

It's sad that the OP is spreading bad information like this. The reason why the Q10 seems brighter than the iPhone in the second picture at the lowest settings is simply because the iPhone's brightness range is much larger than that of the Q10. The iPhone's lowest brightness setting is very, very low. This has been proven scientifically in a magazine article released in Germany. BlackBerry Q10 im Test (Seite 3) - ComputerBase

See the following photographs. Every single photo was taken at the exact same exposure setting with a Nikon D5100 (ISO 1600, F5.3, 1/100). No adjustments other than resizing, from 5000 pixels wide to 1920 pixels wide, have been made.

The Q10 and Bold 9930 in a brightly-lit room (overhead lamp), with the highest brightness settings on both devices:

IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-bright_env_bright_setting.jpg

Both with the lowest brightness setting (dimming can be seen on both devices):

IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-bright_env_lowlow.jpg

Now for a darker environment. Both on the highest brightness setting:

IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-dark_env_high.jpg

Both on the lowest brightness setting:

IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-dark_env_low.jpg

The results are clear. No matter what environment you're in, the Q10 will brighten as you specify on the slider. It's unfortunate that the Q10's brightness settings don't go low enough in dark environments and high enough in bright environments.
    Last edited by paxtonbt; 06-15-13 at 09:16 PM.
    avatsaev likes this.
    06-15-13 09:05 PM
    To everyone reading this thread, the OP is incorrect. The brightness slider will brighten and darken as you expect it to. I am speaking from experience as it behaves on the Q10.

See the following photographs. Every single photo was taken at the exact same exposure setting with a Nikon D5100 (ISO 1600, F5.3, 1/100). No adjustments other than resizing, from 5000 pixels wide to 1920 pixels wide, have been made.

The Q10 and Bold 9930 in a brightly-lit room (overhead lamp), with the highest brightness settings on both devices:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bright_env_bright_setting.jpg 
Views:	2198 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	172647

Both with the lowest brightness setting (dimming can be seen on both devices):

Name:	bright_env_lowlow.jpg 
Views:	2195 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	172648

Now for a darker environment. Both on the highest brightness setting:

Name:	dark_env_high.jpg 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	172650

Both on the lowest brightness setting:

Name:	dark_env_low.jpg 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	172651

The results are clear. No matter what environment you're in, the Q10 will brighten as you specify on the slider. It's unfortunate that the Q10's brightness settings don't go low enough in dark environments and high enough in bright environments.
    The q10 has os10 which uses the GLO algorithm the bold 9900 has os 7 which doesn't.

Posted via CB10
    Djlatino likes this.
    06-15-13 09:10 PM
    Zten thanks for the explanation. He just doesn't get it and is going on a rampage everywhere demanding proof and pictures without understanding what you are saying.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:17 PM
    zten, these photos were shot with the SAME exposure settings. You can compare the brightness of the Q10 in the last 2 images to see that even in the dark environment, the Q10 is dimming when you lower the slider.
    06-15-13 09:18 PM
    Zten thanks for the explanation. He just doesn't get it and is going on a rampage everywhere demanding proof and pictures without understanding what you are saying.

Posted via CB10
    No problem it's an unique technology to blackberry very smart and intuitive.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    REALLY? Haha, I'll shoot yet another photo as he specified if that will help you understand that you're wrong. Tell me, do you both own Q10 devices? Are you both in a dark room right now? Mess with your brightness slider and see what happens. There is no "hidden" trick to a weird algorithm that was engineered for the phone. The phone with brighten and darken as you raise and lower the brightness slider, respectively.
    06-15-13 09:21 PM
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Btw, I have zero brightness issues. Couldn't be happier with the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    mediadavid likes this.
    06-15-13 09:21 PM
    REALLY? Haha, I'll shoot yet another photo as he specified if that will help you understand that you're wrong. Tell me, do you both own Q10 devices? Are you both in a dark room right now? Mess with your brightness slider and see what happens. There is no "hidden" trick to a weird algorithm that was engineered for the phone. The phone with brighten and darken as you raise and lower the brightness slider, respectively.
    The slider moves the dimming curve up and down to match your preference. You can immediately notice a small change but There is still a lot going on behind the scenes that you can't see. The light sensor calculates the amoun of light and compares it to your dimming curve setting and adjusts your display. Anyway it works really well. You are just confused but that's ok the feature actually works opposite of what people are expecting. This is why I think some attention should be brought to the feature so people like you aren't setting it to max, then wondering why its dim in a dark room.

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    06-15-13 09:24 PM
    The slider moves the dimming curve up and down to match your preference. You can immediately notice a small change but There is still a lot going on behind the scenes that you can't see. The light sensor calculates the amoun of light and compares it to your dimming curve setting and adjusts your display. Anyway it works really well. You are just confused but that's ok the feature actually works opposite of what people are expecting.

Posted via CB10
    No, you are confused. Here is your photo, as requested. Note: I did not change the exposure of the photo from the last shots I posted. I'm a professional photographer and these all have the same exposure settings. You can right-click, download, and check the EXIF data if you think I'm lying.

Voila, the Q10 at lowest brightness setting and the 9930 at the highest brightness setting.

IMPORTANT Brightness issues and GLO algorithm-q10dim_9930bright.jpg

They couldn't be further from each other, as I expected. Perhaps you should pick up a Q10 before commenting about how its brightness settings work, zten. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about and understand little about photography.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    06-15-13 09:29 PM
    I'm sitting here with my z10 and my brother in laws q10 actually. Either you have a defective devise, or you just don't get it and don't like it. And no I'm not going to post photos to prove anything to you. You have clearly made yourself out to be irrational and will not listen to what many have told you here and on your own thread. Please do everyone a favor and replace your phone with something else. If you are past your return period, I'm sure someone will be happy to buy your q10.

Posted via CB10
    Spawn12 likes this.
    06-15-13 09:30 PM
    Yes I told you as many others have that something might be wrong with your Q10, but you refuse to take it in and instead are claiming they are all like this and you have been proven wrong. We can see your photo and I can see its not as bright as it should be but you won't solve arguing here.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:33 PM
    I'm sitting here with my z10 and my brother in laws q10 actually. Either you have a defective devise, or you just don't get it and don't like it. And no I'm not going to post photos to prove anything to you. You have clearly made yourself out to be irrational and will not listen to what many have told you here and on your own thread. Please do everyone a favor and replace your phone with something else. If you are past your return period, I'm sure someone will be happy to buy your q10.

Posted via CB10
    Please see the attached shot. Everything you have stated so far has been simply incorrect.
    06-15-13 09:34 PM
    Refer to what z10 said above you...same thing you have been told by pretty much everyone else on your own thread. You can post a million pics, not gonna fix your problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:36 PM
    Please see the attached shot. Everything you have stated so far has been simply incorrect.
    And please tell me what I have stated that is incorrect. I stated that you may have a defective device or that you may not like the q10 meaning it may not be for you.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 09:37 PM
    This has been proven scientifically in a magazine article released in Germany. BlackBerry Q10 im Test (Seite 3) - ComputerBase
    "Scientific" test and Computerbase? They even struggle lately with their core competence - computer hardware reviews, let alone commenting their whole Q10 review. Example? First they noted a couple of times the Q10 has an 1:1 screen ratio, shortly after they complain about lack of landscape mode. Genius! That review is full of such examples. Another one would be complaining about HDR mode, which would basicly do nothing to the picture output or the decent battery performance, which is also achieved by the fact this is not a multimedia phone and you simply use it less than other phones.
    Computerbase has almost some kind of reputation for questionable brightness numbers. Just look at their Nokia E6 review, they stated this phone had one of the dimmest displays they've ever tested. Strange multiple reviews and user opinions stated otherwise...
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 06-15-13 at 09:49 PM.
    06-15-13 09:38 PM
    I was confused until I actually did a bit of research.
    Why there is no Automatically Dim Backlight setting on the BlackBerry Z10 | CrackBerry.com

You are partially right in the sense that if you slide the slider to low, you'll get a low brightness whether you're in a dark or light environment.
    But where you're getting a little off is the fact that there isn't an algorithm in the phone. Actually there is LOL

OP is right, though the brightness will change when you change it ON THE SPOT, it will keep itself that way till you begin to change environments.
    But where he was a tad off was the fact that the silder works, almost as if it's backwards.

If you have your brightness low, it will stay that low, and go even lower if you're in the dark.

If you have your brightness in the mid range, it will stay that bright till you get to somewhere dark, then when you're back to the light, it gets as bright as you let it (in this case the mid range)

Same goes for high brightness.

Now for the dude who was testing his Q10, Get out the dark and look at your Q10 again. BB07 does not have the same algorithm of autodimming that BB10 has hence why it's bright as **** when you go to the movies.
    agp101 likes this.
    06-15-13 09:42 PM
    Oh I love the Q10. Doesn't mean the brightness is up to par. Myself and countless others have come forward complaining about dim Q10 devices. BlackBerry has released its premium device and has locked its consumers out of raising the brightness past whatever they determined to be the maximum. It's a sad state of affairs because the Q10 is made with Super AMOLED technology, the brightest of the AMOLED, yet we can't unlock that brightness potential.

There have been multiple threads posted about this issue in the Q10 forums, on the BlackBerry forums, and it's even been posted in news articles in Africa. I have personally used 4 different Q10 devices and they all have the same exact brightness output, they are dim, dim, dim.
    06-15-13 09:44 PM
    Oh I love the Q10. Doesn't mean the brightness is up to par. Myself and countless others have come forward complaining about dim Q10 devices. BlackBerry has released its premium device and has locked its consumers out of raising the brightness past whatever they determined to be the maximum. It's a sad state of affairs because the Q10 is made with Super AMOLED technology, the brightest of the AMOLED, yet we can't unlock that brightness potential.

There have been multiple threads posted about this issue in the Q10 forums, on the BlackBerry forums, and it's even been posted in news articles in Africa. I have personally used 4 different Q10 devices and they all have the same exact brightness output, they are dim, dim, dim.
    Are you really gonna argue in this thread as well ...
    06-15-13 09:49 PM
163 123 ...