I don't get it how can RIM release such a high end phone and not care about the basics.

Today my boss told me to copy her data from her old 9900 to her new Q10 so I said SURE that's easy

I backed up her stuff on her 9900 using BB Protect just incase, downloaded and installed BB Link's latest version, then I went through the steps of the Transfer Device wizard. the summary showed that it copied contacts, BBM, etc...

But only her contacts were there, here BBM list was emplty.

I launched BB Protect on her Q10 and signed in, then I hit restore, nothing happens, the screen just stays there.

I then tried to find the options in BBM to restore the contacts from the manually backed up filed on the SD card but there are on options that I could find.

I tried doing the transfer device wizard through BB Link again but no luck

then I tried to do a software upgrade maybe it will help, went to options, software update, then it says the update is too large and must be downloaded over WiFi but I WAS on WiFi!!

I then went to every electronics store at the mall to see if they can help me somehow transfer the BBM contacts but all of them said they don't know how to do it for BB 10

I finally had to enter the 61 contacts one by one!

Thank god I didn't buy this piece of crap
    06-13-13 12:56 PM
    If I had to guess, the BBM on the 9900 wasn't the most up to date. Seems like people only run into this issue if they haven't updated their BBM on the phone they are transferring from.
    pallox likes this.
    06-13-13 01:00 PM
    If I had to guess, the BBM on the 9900 wasn't the most up to date. Seems like people only run into this issue if they haven't updated their BBM on the phone they are transferring from.
    spot on, she had the ancient stock OS 7.0.0.296

she is one of those people who buys a device and uses it till it's dead and never updates anything

nonetheless, the process was a big headache and if sone was not tech savvy, he would be returning this phone tohte store ASAP
    pallox and iusebb like this.
    06-13-13 01:29 PM
    That's tough... That wouldn't have happened if BlackBerry released an how-to for upgrading from os7 to 10
    06-13-13 01:39 PM
    spot on, she had the ancient stock OS 7.0.0.296

she is one of those people who buys a device and uses it till it's dead and never updates anything

nonetheless, the process was a big headache and if sone was not tech savvy, he would be returning this phone tohte store ASAP
    Yea that sounds like a huge pain. I feel like BB could have done a better job in helping users upgrade to BB10, the only reason I knew to make sure bbm was upgraded was from reading on the forums here.
    06-13-13 01:39 PM
    There is no excuse for Blackberry not having a easy move from the 9900 to the new BB10 devices. They seem to almost enjoy p|ssing off their customers.

At LEAST a way to sync with OutLook.

No excuse.
    BullGuard8 and iusebb like this.
    06-13-13 01:48 PM
    I must have been really lucky, I had 0 issues going from a 9300 to the Q10, contacts and BBM synced right over, emails were a breeze to set up, music and pictures just dragged and dropped in the windows explorer window, and then I was done.
    06-13-13 01:51 PM
    I must have been really lucky, I had 0 issues going from a 9300 to the Q10, contacts and BBM synced right over, emails were a breeze to set up, music and pictures just dragged and dropped in the windows explorer window, and then I was done.
    yeah probably because you had your Curve up to date

but take for example my manager, believe me, if I wasn't there, that Q10 was going back to the store, loss for BlackBerry on 1 sale, and the store guys had no clue how to transfer stuff to the new BB OS 10

what a shame
    06-13-13 02:43 PM
    I don't quite understand how the complicated process makes the actual device a "piece of crap."

I agree that transferring data could be hugely improved, but the device itself isn't to blame. It's the Link application.

I've had three experiences migrating data to BB10. First, from my 9900 to my Z10. I tried to use Link on my Mac, and only SOME of my address book entries successfully moved to my Z10. I found that the PC version of BlackBerry Link is MUCH better. I had to use my mom's PC. When you plug in the older, non BB10 BlackBerry, it basically tells you that all you can do is Transfer Data to a BB10 device. I did this, and everything came over to my Z10.

When my mom and I got Q10s, I did the same process on her PC to copy her Bold 9780 data onto the Q10. I messed up though, by jumping the gun and wiping her 9780 before her Q10 had all her stuff. BlackBerry Link wasn't able to read her new Q10 yet, and I had to do the Device Switch/Data Transfer all over again, but by this time my mom's 9780 was WIPED. LUCKILY, I restored using BB Protect, and all her address book entries came though.

On my Z10, when I first moved my data over, all my BBM contacts came through just fine, and I was pleasantly surprised since it's moving contacts from BBM on OS7.1 to BB10.

If you ever have to move someone's stuff from an old BlackBerry to a new BB10 device, I'd use BlackBerry Link on a PC for sure.
    06-13-13 02:54 PM
    This is what I suspect!

I did a device tranfer via the wizard and EVERYTHING transferred fine without a hitch! I was using the BlackBerry 9900 transferred using the most current version of BlackBerry linl!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:39 PM
    I don't get it how can RIM release such a high end phone and not care about the basics.

Today my boss told me to copy her data from her old 9900 to her new Q10 so I said SURE that's easy

I backed up her stuff on her 9900 using BB Protect just incase, downloaded and installed BB Link's latest version, then I went through the steps of the Transfer Device wizard. the summary showed that it copied contacts, BBM, etc...

But only her contacts were there, here BBM list was emplty.

I launched BB Protect on her Q10 and signed in, then I hit restore, nothing happens, the screen just stays there.

I then tried to find the options in BBM to restore the contacts from the manually backed up filed on the SD card but there are on options that I could find.

I tried doing the transfer device wizard through BB Link again but no luck

then I tried to do a software upgrade maybe it will help, went to options, software update, then it says the update is too large and must be downloaded over WiFi but I WAS on WiFi!!

I then went to every electronics store at the mall to see if they can help me somehow transfer the BBM contacts but all of them said they don't know how to do it for BB 10

I finally had to enter the 61 contacts one by one!

Thank god I didn't buy this piece of crap
    Hate to say it but you made a novice mistake! In the information to use link to do an wizard transfer it does say to make sure the device is up to dat before using the wizard!

Posted via CB10
    pallox likes this.
    06-13-13 10:42 PM
    This is what I suspect!

I did a device tranfer via the wizard and EVERYTHING transferred fine without a hitch! I was using the BlackBerry 9900 transferred using the most current version of BlackBerry linl!

Posted via CB10
    Did your calendar and memos transfer as well? I understand the memos go into "Remember" now. Do you use Outlook?
    06-14-13 07:11 AM
    Just in case you need to do it again in the future, get them to upgrade to the latest BBM and then the BBM will transfer.

My first switch was from a 9810 to a Z10 when the Z10 first came out. The easiest way with an OS7 phone is to use the device switch option on the OS7 phone where you save to the SD card. When you put this card in the OS10 phone, it will prompt you to do the device switch using the data on the SD card.

Posted via CB10
    06-14-13 07:52 AM
    My BBM was up to date so all I did was sign in with my BBID and all my BBM contacts were there. What caused me to be annoyed was the multiple duplicated calendar appointments - I literally had SIX duplicate entries for each day through the end of the year (I have my work days on there since my days off rotate). I'm seriously not thrilled with Link - I'm one of those people who just want to back up my phone's data and settings - I don't need to access files remotely, sync my music, etc. Those are nice options, but shouldn't be the main feature at the expense of the basic stuff.
    06-14-13 08:12 AM
    i transffered my data from my 9900 to the Q10 using dvice switch and it was the smooth transition, no hassles whatsoever.
    06-14-13 09:16 AM
    I had problems with Blackberry Links too. I did as well read many threads about it before actually buying my Q10. so i was prepared and here's what i did:

- Tried blackberry links twice, didn't worked so i didn't waiste too much time trying to make it work.
    instead
    I backed up my old blackberry (numbers, bbms, wifi options and a few other things) using the old blackberry desktop software..
    THEN
    connnected my Q10 using Blackberry Links and transfered all my backed up data like this

worked perfectly fine and took me literally 10min

good luck
    BullGuard8 likes this.
    06-14-13 09:23 AM