Hi guys,

I am just about upgrading from a 9900 to a Q10. So, I read quite a few threads here ranging from �why I love my Q10� to �why I hate the Q10�. Also I browsed the Z10 section of this forum for similar topics.

I don�t want to dig into this discussion on pros and cons of the Q10, but I got the impression that OS10 is targeted more to a touchscreen device and that there are less overall skeptical reviews on the Z10, but, on the other side, there exist a lot of hardware keyboard enthusiasts � like me � for which is the only way to go the Q10.

Don�t get me wrong, I am not asking just to marry both worlds. My point is, that the OS with its gesture based operations is suited for a full touch screen device, but if you want to be able type also on real keyboard keys, a slider would be the only way to get the real deal of the OS. I might be wrong here, since I had only half an hour of play time with the Q10 and then some more with the Z10.

What do you think?
    hf199 and Brandon Tobias like this.
    06-13-13 04:58 AM
    I got the Q10 ~5 weeks ago and like it, despite some issues & flaws that need to get fixed urgently.

However, I fully agree, a slider with keyboard AND bigger, non-square screen would be the perfect BB10 experience, IMHO.

I really hope that BBRY will keep this form factor alive and releases a slider later this year. I would buy one immediately.

Posted via CB10
    Brandon Tobias likes this.
    06-13-13 05:11 AM
    I haven't used the Z10 for much longer than 5 minutes, so I can't really compare, but after using the Q for a few days I already feel like the OS is smooth and effective. I don't feel I'm missing anything and for my use, a larger screen wouldn't benefit me much...

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 05:13 AM
    I got the Q10 ~5 weeks ago and like it, despite some issues & flaws that need to get fixed urgently.

However, I fully agree, a slider with keyboard AND bigger, non-square screen would be the perfect BB10 experience, IMHO.

I really hope that BBRY will keep this form factor alive and releases a slider later this year. I would buy one immediately.

Posted via CB10
    Me too, just somehow keep the Q10 keyboard; wider than the torch (same as Q) but bigger screen. A slider for a phone just makes sense to me, and although I was warned about 'moving parts" when I bought the torch, and I work in trying environments from time to time, I never had a problem. Still don't.
    I love the length and compactness of a slider design. The torch definitely had some "heft" to get used to, but now I actually like it when I pick it up again in comparison, though the Q10 is very well balanced and ergonomic.
    06-13-13 05:21 AM
    I just ordered a Q10, but as an owner of practically every qwerty Blackberry since the curve 8300, I must say my Torch 9800 and ultimately my 9810 were phones after my own heart. When they announced the slider phone (9800) my first thought was "for what???"
    I boldly gave up my bold and bought the first one the 9800. It wasnt until I went on an international vacation that I fell in LOVE with the Torch. It did everything I needed it to do, and, I took some pretty memorable pictures too. Mainly becuase it was the best of all worlds as opposed to the best of both worlds. Larger screen, touch screen but still a qwerty keyboard. The flatness of the key boards took some getting used to.
    I purchased the first iphone as a second line along side my bold at the time and I sold it.
    Loved the screen but i need a keyboard.
    If I'm honest even though the Q10 has a larger screen due to the deletion of the clitoris, the call, BB, and back buttons. I still am waiting for blackberry to come out with a slider phone.
    They can call it whatever they want. But i still feel a Q10 like device belongs in the Blackberry line up. This franchise is making a comeback. The Z10 is to steal the touch screen crowd. While i can fully appreciate the real estate a touch screen has to offer. I NEED a qwerty keyboard. The slider with flagship components is what im truly after.
    06-13-13 05:27 AM
    due to the deletion of the clitoris, the call, BB, and back buttons.

bahahahahaha
    MrRJ, bigdogweigand and Alphax45 like this.
    06-13-13 06:38 AM
    I agree - would LOVE a BlackBerry slider. I don't care if it's thicker: jam a large battery into it! Big screen, excellent OS, I'd love that!

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    06-13-13 06:42 AM
    agree with the original post but want to underscore one point - the key to a winning slider phone (imo) would be to keep the width of the Q10 or 9900 with the slider, rather than use the old Torch design. That size made the keyboard - the whole point of the thing - suboptimal and ruined the experience, making me get rid of the old Torch after one week and reverting back to the qwerty bb.
    theclipart and kbz1960 like this.
    06-13-13 06:47 AM
    Agree - I think one could fit the Z10 screen into the Q10 silhouette. I have to admit, the thought of a 5" 1080p screen, with a majestic keyboard sliding down from the back - I'd pay for that! Though I agree with you, the weighting needs to be considered.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    06-13-13 06:51 AM
    I'd buy it too, even if it was heavy. My "laptop" is 10 pounds, so a wee bit heavier Q10 with more screen real estate would be fine by me.
    And CJMajesty, the clitoris is still there, it is just much, much harder to find.
    06-13-13 06:58 AM
    i would say no to a slider. was one of the few who hated the torch. loved the touch screen, just the keyboard was weird and flimsy for me. the bold was the best.
    carullo likes this.
    06-13-13 07:09 AM
    i would say no to a slider. was one of the few who hated the torch. loved the touch screen, just the keyboard was weird and flimsy for me. the bold was the best.
    i agree 100 percent........i had no use for that design
    06-13-13 07:25 AM
    I agree also! I would trade in my Z10 for a slider any day of the week.
    06-13-13 07:48 AM
    Oh yes, one comment on the subject of this thread. I don't think that "the Q10 should be a slider", but there should be both a Q10 and a slider (preferrably with a Z10 screen and a Q10 keyboard). And, a Z10 of course.

I think there is a market for each of the 3 form factors.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4268859) and Alphax45 like this.
    06-13-13 08:06 AM
    Would be great if not a carrier exclusive item. In short, not just for ATT.

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    06-13-13 08:09 AM
    Well, "YOU TWO" might not like it or want one, BUT I for one would walk barefoot on hot pavement to get mine.

PERFECT fusion of Full-size all-touch screen for those "check out my photos" or "watch this video I made" AND full-size physical keyboard for typing those 1000 eMails a day the dumb b*tc# from the "old bb campaign" was talking about. OK, so, fine: not a 1000 ... but you can EASILY type MANY LONG messages without relying on auto-suggest and fall victim to auto-correct (i.e. the "clitoris" in comment #5 above).

And, for the record:
    1) the keyboard size of the 9800/10 was a concern to me at first as well (I have bigger fingers than your average bear), but I got used to it REAL fast and it hasn't been an issue after "day 1" of owning it well over 2 years ago. Still, I would support the fullsize Q10 keyboard.
    2) in terms of "moving parts" (another earlier criticism), the sliding function takes 2 rails&channels and a PCB-ribbon - BOTH are proven standard technical/mechanical solutions used in 1000s of applications, including all ink-jet printers; what "else" needs to move? It AIN'T rocket science!

I've been flogging this dead horse for a while, but I am personally good for 2 devices if a Torch-style slider is released AS LONG AS it's basically a Z10 with the Q10's keyboard in slide-out. Of course, "after" my device upgrade restriction expires on Jan. 4, 2014.
    Weight and size are not an issue for me; in fact, they give a heightened sense of build quality and durability (mine's been dropped or has slipped/fallen - EASILY - 3 to 4 dozen times: STILL works perfectly AND only a few minor scratches), AND I notice IMMEDIATELY when I don't have it on me.

So, ... BBRY: PLEASE make the A10 a SLIDER with the Z10 screen and Q10 keyboard - and TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

Cheers & Keep Moving!!

i agree 100 percent........i had no use for that design
    06-13-13 08:51 AM
    Oh yes, one comment on the subject of this thread. I don't think that "the Q10 should be a slider", but there should be both a Q10 and a slider (preferrably with a Z10 screen and a Q10 keyboard). And, a Z10 of course.

I think there is a market for each of the 3 form factors.

Posted via CB10
    Yes. Of course. But my point was, that the BB10 is with its gesture based UI more suited for a full touch screen device. Why ist that? I think you either bring up your work speed by either getting used to gestures or to keyboard shortcuts, i got the impression combining both is a little bit hard to manage since at least my brain asks for either / or. For instance i can tell by using MS-Excel. I am a shortcut guy, in case I need to use the menu I loose speed by just switching my awareness from keyboard to mouse. A friend of mine is a menu guy, working as fast.

A slider gives you the full touchscreen and you can adjust to work with gestures. In case of longer text input, you then may switch to the menu. In case of just a short text input, you may use the touchscreen keyboard.

But, as I said, I just have little experience with BB10, thats why i am asking you guys for your experience.
    06-13-13 08:58 AM
    Hi guys,

I am just about upgrading from a 9900 to a Q10. So, I read quite a few threads here ranging from “why I love my Q10” to “why I hate the Q10”. Also I browsed the Z10 section of this forum for similar topics.

I don’t want to dig into this discussion on pros and cons of the Q10, but I got the impression that OS10 is targeted more to a touchscreen device and that there are less overall skeptical reviews on the Z10, but, on the other side, there exist a lot of hardware keyboard enthusiasts – like me – for which is the only way to go the Q10.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not asking just to marry both worlds. My point is, that the OS with its gesture based operations is suited for a full touch screen device, but if you want to be able type also on real keyboard keys, a slider would be the only way to get the real deal of the OS. I might be wrong here, since I had only half an hour of play time with the Q10 and then some more with the Z10.

What do you think?
    Depends fully on the kind of slider. For example I have only used landscape sliders like the Nokia Communicators, Nokia E7 or HTCs Touch Pro series before I switched to a Blackberry last year. There of course a pros and cons with both devices:
    The landscape slider offers a (much) larger screen, (much) larger keys and especially more keys, which can be used for stuff like Umlaute or special characters. However it usually is bulkier, heavier and you need to open up the keyboard everytime you write something.
    While the latter point doesn't sound too much of a problem, it can actually be. Especially for short stuff like a text or chat reply, always slide up this thing can be annoying over time.

I especially noticed this after switching to a Blackberry. The convenience of the keyboard being "always there" is very nice indeed. You of course have to live with the cons: Smaller screen and smaller keys being the primary stuff for me. IMO the screen of the Q10 (as well as the Q5) is large enough for BB10. There are only some rare situations where I encounter problems and I am pretty there these problems would still be present on a larger screened full-touch device. One of these situations would be text selection, when you need to move the marker at a point which is right at the edge of the screen.

The portrait slider on the other hand... I am not sure about this one, as it is a hybrid solution:
    You still have a larger screen than your typical, non-sliding candybar QWERTY, yet it is still smaller than the one of a landscape slider. The keyboard on the other hand is even smaller compared to your candybar device. The bulk of a landscape slider usually remains, so does the "hassle" with sliding out the keyboard everytime you need it. The portrait slider usually suffers from lower comfort of holding the device, since it is quite heavy on the top screen section.

I wish Blackberry would (or could) make a device which suites everyones needs, however I don't think they are in the position of "experimenting" with more exotic form factors at the moment. Samsung is in this position, as they are cranking out their Galaxy devices which cover almost every need, I am actually surprised they haven't launched a QWERTY Galaxy yet.
    06-13-13 09:26 AM
    It would be nice, but I'm not sure it would make sense for BlackBerry to produce considering that there isn't a big market for it...Unless it looks exactly like the Blade that is lol
    06-13-13 10:00 AM
    i understand how u slider folks love to have a slider on ur phones , once u try it and use it u will understand it . but as from a bold 9000 background and 9900 and always bold , i believe the phone compactness is the best thing about the q10 , but yes about the screen size u are right , my hopes was high for q10 to release with atleast alittle bit bigger screen , but that doesnt matter , im an eye observer / user , i always set my text size to 10 / 15 or 20% higher , because im not gonna go fondle around the operating system , only to chat in bbm and emailing and reading emails , ( youtube an some news from time to time ) , i still wished the screen size will be around 3.5inches , similar to my design i thought about 4 years ago for the bold http://forums.crackberry.com/rumored...bold-d-315671/
    06-13-13 11:52 AM
    bahahahahaha
    Ok trackball/trackpad
    06-13-13 12:19 PM
    I can definitively say that if it were a slider, I would not buy the device. I bought a torch thinking many of the same things about larger screen size, best of both worlds, yada yada. I felt like what I got was the opposite. I got the worst of all worlds. A keyboard that wasn't practical to operate one handed and ready to go when you pick up the device, plus the thick clunky form factor of a slider. I voted with my money and returned it until the 9930 came out. I also owned a Droid 4 (landscape slider) and while the keyboard was competent and it had all the android apps - it lacked the one thing I want - which is an always there, ready to type keyboard that can be operated one-handed. Even though I had already given my 9930 to a coworker, after a few months I went and bought one unsubsidized on ebay just so I would not have to use the slider any more. To round it up: I would not spend money on another slider in either form factor. Some people like them - that's great. But I vote with my dollars, and the only way Blackberry gets MY business is with a slim portrait QWERTY.
    06-13-13 12:27 PM
    I think a slider would be cool, but I have both the Z10 and Q10, and don't feel like BB10 is being compromised at all on the Q10.

I sort of think the slider would be awkward in certain situations. With it closed, you could use it like a Z10, and while open, you could use the keyboard...but if you wanted to do anything other than type with it open, it would definitely be a 2 handed device, where one hand is doing all the gestures, until it's time to type, in which case you'd have to use two hands again. I had the Torch 9810, and I think the trackpad really added to the experience, because with the phone open, I could still use my thumb to navigate anywhere on the screen. Without the trackpad, one would have to have their hand even higher on the device, to use the gestures that BB10 has.

I'm sure BlackBerry could find a way to perfect the slider, they just have to do it right and also gauge whether or not there's any point in making a slider, or if most people are content with either a full screen OR a qwerty keyboard. They can't just make a slider for a few people who prefer it..
    06-13-13 01:01 PM
    yep a slider would be better
    i would like the same stainless steel band as on the Q10
    4.2" screen maybe of Oled or SLCD 3 variety 720p or 1080p
    stereo speakers (ala HTC one)**
    Q10 keyboard .. keys can be a min of 2% smaller cuz width maybe different as z10 is a mm narrower
    same cpu and ram
    13mp camera**
    2100 mah battery or maybe 2400/2600mah**
    built in Fm radio or use antenna of head set for radio
    NFC with Q10 glass weave cover or maybe Z10 rubberized cover
    the phone should not have as much bezel on the top and bottom as the screen liek the Z10( i mean the matte black plastic parts )
    software should have speed dial from any screen
    in the quick settings menu flashlight should be an option
    on lock screen music/ radio controls
    return the camera side key and fix the on screen camera interface ( touch to focus plz thats the standard now).
    others cann add to this list of features
    but the slider designer should not be thicker than 12 mm
    ** the phone is gonna be thicker any way as a slider make use off the space
    06-13-13 02:09 PM
    A slider BlackBerry 10 would indeed be slick, I'd love to get my hands on one in the near future. Except now not only would I have to swipe I also have to slide. Or they can combine like the old torch? I think being able to maintain the keyboard size to the likes of 9900 is the key. Still having to slide the screen UP to expose the qwerty instead of sideways, cuz that's just uncomfortable to type. Remember the Motorola droid X with side slide keyboard? if you recall that phone didn't sell well.
    In the end, combining the ability to type on screen or on qwerty will yield you one final question to youself. There will be one that is faster and more comfortable than the other, as time goes on you will find youself typing 1 way 90 percent of the time.
    But f*** it, I still love having the option!
    If they rim can make a slider phone with curvature instead of flat then it will truely be a BlackBerry Curve!

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 03:29 PM
27 12