View Poll Results: Reinstatement of BB features on OS10

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should BB reinstate buttons?

2 25.00%
  • Should BB reisnstate option to delete from just the handheld?

8 100.00%
  • Should BB reinstate Multiple message delete

4 50.00%
  • Should BB make selecting any text always possible?

5 62.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    It seems to me that there should be a department at Blackberry whose job it is to accept suggestions for enhancements to their products.
    I have a Z10. I hated it for the first couple of weeks but I'm getting to like it a lot more - and generally find new features on a daily basis. Nonetheless, there appear to be some glaring negative issues. We see many people making (good and bad) suggestions on various forums (about the Z10) but I suspect that this is just wasted effort, since Blackberry's product development team probably don't monitor these places.
    If BB don't have a way of determining people's thoughts, wishes and suggestions, then they're never going to be able to supply the right product. Do BB come up with ideas from their development term, then select people for beta testing? - If so, this isn't the real world.

Things I like about the Z 10 are:-
    1) Fast browsing.
    2) Very good camera and video
    3) Nice design.
    4) Largely a very well thought out operating system, that has the makings of being a class leader.
    Things I don't like about the Z10 are:-
    1) Inability to multiple select and delete e-mails. (In my Torch 9810, I could just touch the screen and Hey Presto, twenty messages were deleted. Now, to multiple delete, I have to do a mass of finger prodding. - Why?
    2) Biggest gripe... "Delete on Handheld or Server?". For some strange reason they have taken away one of the major benefits of Blackberry over iPhone and Android devices. Why would anyone want to remove a feature that has been working so well for a decade? They could have left it as an option. If people didn't want it, they could have selected "OFF" but to arbitrarily remove a good feature is just plain nonsense.
    3) Removal of the tracking mouse. I thought this was a really handy item for cursor placement. Why didn't they leave it? I find the cursor placement on the Z10 too fiddly.
    4) Dedicated buttons for going back and ending calls are gone. The back button and the "Blackberry" button were ideal. So silly to take away the very things that sets a cellphone apart from the rest.....
    5) Selecting text is sometimes (literally) impossible. The user should be able to select and copy any text he/she wishes.
    6) Some text can't be magnified. This is crazy. If a person wants a magnified view - let them have it. Where is the sense in BB arbitrarily deciding that certain text can't be enlarged.

I wish I could get my thoughts across to Blackberry. They probably wouldn't listen to me but if enough people gave the same request, they'd take notice.....
    Come on Blackberry - have a Suggestions Box and take note of your customer base - it might be the best thing you ever did.
    Last edited by irivlin; 06-11-13 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Last draft has spelling mistakes
    radar_1969 and Wandering_Sumo like this.
    06-11-13 09:17 PM
    BlackBerry monitor these forums. So I'm sure common or frequent gripes are looked at.

Your point #1: go to the overflow (3dots) and choose select more to delete as many emails as you like...

Posted with my zed10
    06-11-13 09:45 PM
    The problem with the overflow (Point #1) is that I have to manually tick individual emails/messages for each one that isn't wanted. With the Torch I could put one finger at the top, one finger at the bottom and all messages between were selected. It hardly made any difference if I accidentally wiped an important email accidentally, because I'd only ever opt to "Delete from Handheld" It's just a case of Blackberry doing this for no benefit to either themselves or the user. A case of BB saying "It ain't broke, but we're going to fix it anyway....".
    Blackberry have had to live down the time that their chairman declared that the public would never accept a touch screen. They were proved so wrong that it seems like they've gone overboard. - like they've developed a hatred for buttons. Buttons have their place. Sometimes a thing that goes "Click" is both ergonomic and appealing. For Blackberry to turn its back on a technology that is old fashioned but works better than a modern solution is blinkered and narrow minded.
    06-11-13 10:08 PM
    It's time to move out of the past.... it's 2013...no more buttons or track pads. live with it,learn it, love it or move along

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 08:51 AM
    Losing the "Delete from Handheld" option was a huge disappointment to me. That was a key to the way I used my BB to manage my email and I can't see any good reason to take that away from users.
    06-12-13 09:00 AM
    Ya I kinda miss the shift/multiple select too. And the next "n" and previous "p" shortcuts to go between messages.

Posted with my zed10
    06-13-13 06:40 PM
    There are places where you can make suggestions to BlackBerry. They have their own forums, they maintain a Beta Zone for users, and they have the developer pages for devs.

[rant]

I am so happy not to have to deal with all the anomolous behaviors of the legacy blackberry. Like only being able to delete on the device. It wasn't a feature, they had to add delete on server. Now we have a modern synchronized client and people want to roll it back to the dark ages. If you really want the features of a legacy BB, you can still use legacy devices. (My company is just now upgrading from 9000 to 9900 and isn't planning on BB10 for another two years when life cycle management calls for server replacement.) If you don't want to roll back to a legacy device consider that one of the reasons BB10 is better than legacy is that they didn't have to work around all the edge case quirks, that is is a modern OS with a modern UI that has speed, fluidity and carm. We can make it work just like a legacy device, and watch people dump it for iOS7.

[/rant]
    06-13-13 07:10 PM
    You make a valid point but why couldn't BB have given the user the option regarding "delete on handheld only"? - It could have been a default setting - so that if people didn't want that feature, it would never have cropped up. If people did want the feature, it could be invoked. Where is the harm in giving the user options? With regard to the buttons... Again, defaults could be set so that the user might wish to freeze the buttons out altogether. Those who prefer this kind of interface could leave them enabled. In Windows Control Panel, I can select "Classic View" or Regular. There's no issue with preferring a certain interface. It's not going back to the dark ages. A restaurant that offers a dish considered outmoded isn't going back to the dark ages, it's giving options.....
    06-13-13 07:27 PM
    It seems to me that there should be a department at Blackberry whose job it is to accept suggestions for enhancements to their products.

...If BB don't have a way of determining people's thoughts, wishes and suggestions, then they're never going to be able to supply the right product.

...I wish I could get my thoughts across to Blackberry. They probably wouldn't listen to me but if enough people gave the same request, they'd take notice.....
    Come on Blackberry - have a Suggestions Box and take note of your customer base - it might be the best thing you ever did.
    They do - as an earlier post suggested they have an official Beta Zone where you can sign up for an account and leave feedback on areas that you wish.

I'd suggest that you join the Global BlackBerry 10 Program - you'd be able to partake in general discussions as well as request new features for consideration. If your suggestion/s gains traction then it will get added to the feature request list where others users can then vote on it. If it receives enough votes then it stands a chance of being implemented in a future update. I'd strongly suggest signing up and leaving your feedback there - the Beta Zone would benefit from your passion and enthusiasm.

You can sign up for a Beta Zone account at https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/

I look forward to seeing your suggestions there. I hope that helps.
    06-13-13 08:21 PM
    Losing the "Delete from Handheld" option was a huge disappointment to me. That was a key to the way I used my BB to manage my email and I can't see any good reason to take that away from users.
    I'd also suggest signing up for a Beta Zone account (if you haven't done so already). The feature you're referring to has recently been added to the feature request page. If you join the Global BlackBerry 10 Program then you'll be able to add your vote to see this feature return.

The URL for the Beta Zone is https://beta.webapps.blackberry.com/

I hope that helps.
    06-13-13 08:33 PM
    Very good suggestion - I signed up for Beta Zone. Do they contact me when they accept testing or do I have to make a specific request to BB?
    06-13-13 10:49 PM
    Join beta zone then make suggestions in the forums there.

Posted via CB10
    06-13-13 10:57 PM
    Very good suggestion - I signed up for Beta Zone. Do they contact me when they accept testing or do I have to make a specific request to BB?
    I'm not too sure what you mean by 'when they accept testing' - but typically a BlackBerry moderator / project manager will leave a message on a thread if they add that particular feature to the request page of that program. It's been quite active the last few days so now is a good time to get involved.

I'd have a look at the request page first - as some of your suggestions may have already been added. Likewise, I'd also suggest reading through some of the existing threads (for similar reasons).

Let me know if there's anything else that you're unsure about. I hope that helps.
    06-14-13 03:07 AM
    You make a valid point but why couldn't BB have given the user the option regarding "delete on handheld only"? - It could have been a default setting - so that if people didn't want that feature, it would never have cropped up. If people did want the feature, it could be invoked. Where is the harm in giving the user options? With regard to the buttons... Again, defaults could be set so that the user might wish to freeze the buttons out altogether. Those who prefer this kind of interface could leave them enabled. In Windows Control Panel, I can select "Classic View" or Regular. There's no issue with preferring a certain interface. It's not going back to the dark ages. A restaurant that offers a dish considered outmoded isn't going back to the dark ages, it's giving options.....
    Because the system that supports "Delete on Device or Delete on Server" works in a completely different way than the current system. The old BIS based system copied messages from the server and sent them to the device. The ability to tell the server to delete messages was added later. There is no way to reliably keep the device synchronized with the server. This was a big issue for users wanting a modern email experience.

In the BB10 system the device maintains synchronization with the mail server without the intervention of a third party (BIS) server. To support delete on device only, the device will have to maintain a list of exemptions to the server state. This has actually been proposed by a number of uses. The problem is that this would be a complex undertaking, probably not be bug free at the beginning, and burden all devices with the code need to support it whether the user wanted the feature or not.

If there is really that big a market for this feature why was RIM in so much difficulty before BB10? Why hasn't a third party developer offered an application for sale that provides this? It may be coming when headless applications and deeper integration is made available in 10.2. That is how this need should be serviced.
    06-14-13 08:09 AM