Is it me or has anyone noticed that z10 has virtually no useful apps? There are no apps for this platform. I mean literally no apps that have any utility. I'm not talking about useless games but real useful apps like:

https://guardianproject.info/apps/

1) Orbot
    2) Orweb
    3) Gibberbot (in fact there isn't a single chat app for blackberry that uses OTR (off the record messaging)
    4) Ostel/CSipSimple IOSTN (encrypted voice)
    5) Redphone (encrypted voice)
    6) Mycelial OSTN (encrypted voice)
    7) Textsecure (encrypted sms/text messaging)
    8) Firefox mobile (addons.mozilla.org/en-US/mobile/addon/proxy-mobile)

Not a single useful app! The apk-to-bar convertors for all of the above do not work on z10 (at least not for me). If you have been able to get any of the above applications to work on z10 I would be very grateful if you could provide me with details. If you have any further insights, I would be grateful for that too because so far I am left scratching my head thinking what a useless device.
    06-09-13 11:49 PM
    Interesting screen name. Anyways have you tried Secure Browser?

Also I put encrypted in to an App World search and found 33 programs that can encrypt messages, texts, passwords etc.

For Torrents I found Torrent Time.
    grover5 and KermEd like this.
    06-10-13 10:45 AM
    Give bbry time. They will have all the apps

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    06-10-13 10:47 AM
    Sell it! Get a device that works for you..... but do your research first
    06-10-13 10:49 AM
    ...no useful apps?
    ...no apps for this platform
    ...literally no apps
    .. not ... real useful apps...
    Not a single useful app!
    useless device.
    First post and full of wisdom. I think you made your point.

Yes, Z10 is lacking in apps but they are getting better and better as time goes on. Did you not do the required research before purchasing this phone? That would have informed you that there is a more limited app selection vs. iOS or Android.
    ESCON and Dave Bourque like this.
    06-10-13 10:56 AM
    Guys, close this baby up. They're not coming back.
    brout likes this.
    06-10-13 10:58 AM
    Jellybean 4.2 in a couple months just wait as anything android has we will have and on a better device.

Posted via CB10
    hbelkin likes this.
    06-10-13 11:00 AM
    Your fault for not doing adequate research. Please don't blame your incompetence and lack of judgment on BlackBerry.

Besides OS 10 is a completely new ecosystem. BlackBerry will have apps flowing in due time. All you need to do is exercise some patience. If you lack patience then feel free to go for Android devices or the iPhone (you won't be missed * Hint hint*).

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK : OS 10.0)
    Thunderbuck and curvezzz like this.
    06-10-13 11:00 AM
    Jellybean 4.2 in a couple months just wait as anything android has we will have and on a better device.

Posted via CB10

Really?
    06-10-13 11:05 AM
    The research line doesn't work because the ceo who is brutally honest promised "all the popular apps" and people bought based on that. We all knew bb1 had no apps but we were told they were all going to be here. And the connotation was soon. Not years.

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    06-10-13 11:07 AM
    Blame the app builders

Posted via CB10
    mcmolineux and DetlevCM like this.
    06-10-13 11:07 AM
    I guess doing research means research that bbry has a chronic ailment of misleading its customers so never believe what they say. The PlayBook was killed by bbry not app makers.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:10 AM
    Why would you buy a device that did not do what you needed? Sorry but Z10 has many apps that I need and a few that I did not know I needed. Why would you buy a motorcycle if you need a mini van? These posts baffle me. The lack of the apps you listed could be determined with a 5 minute search; try google.
    06-10-13 11:16 AM
    Is it me or has anyone noticed that z10 has virtually no useful apps? There are no apps for this platform. I mean literally no apps that have any utility. I'm not talking about useless games but real useful apps like:

1) Orbot
    2) Orweb
    3) Gibberbot (in fact there isn't a single chat app for blackberry that uses OTR (off the record messaging)

Not a single useful app! The apk-to-bar convertors for all of the above do not work on z10 (at least not for me). If you have been able to get any of the above applications to work on z10 I would be very grateful if you could provide me with details. If you have any further insights, I would be grateful for that too because so far I am left scratching my head thinking what a useless device.
    Why do people troll like this. They blame the devise or manufacturer when they dont do their research. To be honest they most likely dont even use a BB device especially not a Z10 or else the op would not be calling it weak.
    bungaboy likes this.
    06-10-13 11:18 AM
    Really?
    Yeah really that's the target anyways

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:21 AM
    I guess doing research means research that bbry has a chronic ailment of misleading its customers so never believe what they say. The PlayBook was killed by bbry not app makers.

Posted via CB10
    How so?

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    06-10-13 11:22 AM
    A smartphone without apps is weak.

Posted via CB10
    Savior4Life likes this.
    06-10-13 11:23 AM

1) Orbot
    2) Orweb

Not a single useful app? You and i have different definitions of useful and utility sir. I've never heard of and don't think i'd ever use a single app you mentioned. I hope the app catalogue expands to include some of the obscure apps you mentioned. Cheers.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:24 AM

1) Orbot
    2) Orweb

So, I have not heard of any of these - should I care about them?
    Which applications are important is a very subjective assessment.
    If you want or need these applications, complain to the developers, their lazyness is at fault, not BlackBerry nor the Z10.

Lastly, I doubt we will see Firefox as that would possibly create a security risk and unless I am mistaken the engine of the included browser must ne used on any web service.
    Though I am not sure what the point of Firefox would be on the a Z10 - on a PC yes, a Z10 no.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:25 AM
    Why would you buy a device that did not do what you needed? Sorry but Z10 has many apps that I need and a few that I did not know I needed. Why would you buy a motorcycle if you need a mini van? These posts baffle me. The lack of the apps you listed could be determined with a 5 minute search; try google.
    Umm , In my case Blackberry came into our work and promised us that the Z10 was an upgrade from BB07. On launch day our whole office traded up and 'well' we soon figured out that BB10 was missing just as much as what they were claiming was new. Im still trying to find a "business app" on this "business phone" that cant keep up with a small business let alone a big one at this point!

Billing, vendor control, stock control, credit card payment, banking, scheduling, payroll apps, order systems, help desk, support links, remote desktop that works 100%,

Remember/tasks that includes reminders and times
    A proper calender that does not let facebook take precedence of birthdays over meetings
    A contact app that can be organized and doesn't double up every contact.
    Pictures from for work cannot be sent out through text/bbm anymore. They all get formatted to a few pixels.

Blackberry did end up paying developers for fart apps instead of going after the real developers with money!

Not to sound harsh but its true .. no longer a business phone, its a toy ;p
    Last edited by Bdot-1; 06-10-13 at 11:41 AM.
    06-10-13 11:26 AM
    EDIT: Ostel is working, Gibberbot is working and the rest is currently not working.

All that needs to happen is to message the developers and it will be made available on the Website the OP has posted. This is a fairly new group to the game.

If you want to use tor: use a vpn connection to a server from which you can run TOR. This can be your own PC at home and you are sorted with that problem.... Therefore not a biggie. the built in VPN is awesome.

What difference does it make anyway?

In the end the solution which encompasses everything you wish to do is the following:

http://us.blackberry.com/content/dam...-Datasheet.pdf

Simple as that.

All the issues you posted are therefore not existent. If you require that kind of security, you should be able to afford it. Otherwise it is just moot.

Right now I am too lazy, however will update the post with alternatives in the next few hours, unless someone else is willing to Google for 10 minutes and provide a clear answer as to what is truly lacking.....

Watch this space!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Warlack; 06-10-13 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Added research
    06-10-13 11:26 AM
    Saying the Z10 is weak based on the app ecosystem alone is hilarious to me.

Sent from my BB10 smartphone.
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    06-10-13 11:30 AM
    Far be it from me to do a blanket excuse for the Z (or BB10). But OPs words are a bit over-reactive. Complain about the battery, freezing, or reboots. Still, I am empathetic to the occasional use of exaggeration to me a point. But to those that insist, "Let's just give them time: I say what others have said before...." Do you have a job?!? that you are reqd to use your phone as a tool?!? Or do you just collect phones and play most the day?!?

To each his own but I think that it is inarguable that the BB of today will never compete seriously for the teenagers, general gamers, nor the college crowd. Nevertheless, basic functions and apps. that should have been found upon release (3 yrs behind IOS and Droid) are missing. If this phone/BB is to carve any viable niche in the cell mktplace (other than as a conversation topic or backup relic)....and to keep my loyalty as a businessman, BB10 must show some very, very fast improvements. .. .. 10.1 and some newly released native apps is a good start. .... I'm not sure that many of the sideloads are ever going to be efficient on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:30 AM
    Administration please engage in some censorship. Tell the trolls to send it to the writers that like to troll BlackBerry. There is no place for it here and there is plenty room elsewhere for it. Geeez!

Posted via CB10
    vespajet likes this.
    06-10-13 11:42 AM
    Wow, no useful apps?
    Qpdf is a great app that I used to edit a pdfs with. I can open file attachments and my basic PIM functions are all great.

I actually upgraded because our exchange server no longer supported BES. Now I can use active sync and this does everything I need, plus it has a proper mlb at bat app.

The only thing missing for me is decent audioboom support but I still have an iPid so thag is not a problem.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:49 AM
60 123