With BlackBerry being the first to have a RTOS do you feel it should be considered a smartphone???? If not what do you think it should be called??? With BlackBerry being a whole new mobile computing platform should it be within the smartphone competition????

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:05 AM
    With BlackBerry being the first to have a RTOS do you feel it should be considered a smartphone???? If not what do you think it should be called??? With BlackBerry being a whole new mobile computing platform should it be within the smartphone competition????

Posted via CB10
    Sorry but what is a RTOS?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by beamolite; 06-08-13 at 10:26 AM.
    06-08-13 10:07 AM
    RTOS = real time operating system

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:09 AM
    Sorry but what us a RTOS?

Posted via CB10
    Real Time Operating System (RTOS)

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:11 AM
    I always considered BlackBerry to be The Smartphone

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:12 AM
    In what ways does having that real time goodness help the end user? At this point, I'm not seeing it. BlackBerry 10 can't even run headless applications yet. It is also limited to only having 8 applications running at once, only one of which can be ran in the foreground. Kind of strange that the non real time Android OS can run headless applications, can have 30+ applications running in the background and with the proper modifications, can run several apps all in the foreground. So yeah, still wondering where the RTOS goodness is helping me, the user.

But to answer your question, a lot of people stopped considering BlackBerry as a smartphone awhile ago.
    06-08-13 10:26 AM
    Smartphone. Dumb users.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:36 AM
    BlackBerry is a brand, a company, with many different devices, SmartPhones being one of them,

The PlayBook is Not a smartphone,
    the Bluetooth speakerphone is Not a smartphone,

But the Z10 and Q10, Q5 are all smartphones, - Not the OS itself that makes them "smart"
    web99 and brout like this.
    06-08-13 10:37 AM
    In what ways does having that real time goodness help the end user? At this point, I'm not seeing it. BlackBerry 10 can't even run headless applications yet. It is also limited to only having 8 applications running at once, only one of which can be ran in the foreground. Kind of strange that the non real time Android OS can run headless applications, can have 30+ applications running in the background and with the proper modifications, can run several apps all in the foreground. So yeah, still wondering where the RTOS goodness is helping me, the user.

But to answer your question, a lot of people stopped considering BlackBerry as a smartphone awhile ago.
    I always use one full screen in the foreground whether I'm on my computer or phone. I view the ability to run two or more in the foreground on a phone to be "Neat" but not practical for my use. I have no need or desire to run 30 apps in the background. I usually have no more than four or five running. I agree that headless apps will be a major hole fixed when 10.2 is released. The rest of your post is snark that we've grown to expect from you.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wow. Not sure how to answer this, since you apparently don't really understand the terms and words you're using.

To put it in another way: RTOS doesn't mean what you think it means.

Neither is BB10 the first smartphone with a RTOS. There is one running inside iPhones for example.

And there are hundreds of millions of feature phones on the market that is running a RTOS.
    bekkay, Drew808, Saiga and 1 others like this.
    06-08-13 10:58 AM

BB10 still doesn't have background services for apps ("headless apps")? I am pretty sure when this issue was raised with the Playbook a while ago, there was a comment from some BBRY manager saying headless apps will be part of BB10. And that was almost 1.5 years ago. Go figure.
    Saiga and richardat like this.
    06-08-13 11:00 AM
    It's a phone with data connectivity. It runs apps, plays media, has a browser, and does various forms of messaging. The OS used to accomplish these tasks may be different from others but it achieves the same things. It is a smartphone for all intents and purposes.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 11:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    Just like Windows Mobile super-smartphones?
    06-08-13 11:03 AM
    I always use one full screen in the foreground whether I'm on my computer or phone. I view the ability to run two or more in the foreground on a phone to be "Neat" but not practical for my use. I have no need or desire to run 30 apps in the background. I usually have no more than four or five running. I agree that headless apps will be a major hole fixed when 10.2 is released. The rest of your post is snark that we've grown to expect from you.

Posted via CB10
    Cool. A typical "If BlackBerry can't do it, than I don't need it!" reply. Gotcha

You didn't answer my question. See I was able to list a few examples of things that boring, old Android can do, that BlackBerry 10 can't do. BlackBerry 10 is a "RTOS", so again, I ask - In what ways does having that real time goodness help the end user? What does having a RTOS allow BlackBerry 10 to do that its competitors cannot do?
    06-08-13 11:10 AM
    BB10 still doesn't have background services for apps ("headless apps")? I am pretty sure when this issue was raised with the Playbook a while ago, there was a comment from some BBRY manager saying headless apps will be part of BB10. And that was almost 1.5 years ago. Go figure.
    Nope, not yet. No headless apps. If you want to use BeBuzz, you have to leave it open in the active panel screen. Which only holds 8 panels. If you close it, it stops working. So if you use a LED app, a Wallpaper changer app, a Battery monitor, and a Data monitor app, you have to have 4 open panels at all times.

I'm a little surprised that they actually launched the devices like that. Headless apps should have been a higher priority for them, in my opinion any way.
    06-08-13 11:13 AM
    Go ahead and run 30 apps in the background and run a few in the foreground but you better have a long charging cable, because you are going to need it. That ability has to have an effect on battery life.

Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you should do it. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Headless app ability is coming with an update. I like the idea of limiting the number of apps I have open. Keeps me from destroying my battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-08-13 11:14 AM
    Go ahead and run 30 apps in the background and run a few in the foreground but you better have a long charging cable, because you are going to need it. That ability has to have an effect on battery life.

Just because you have the ability to do something doesn't mean you should do it. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. Headless app ability is coming with an update. I like the idea of limiting the number of apps I have open. Keeps me from destroying my battery life.

Posted via CB10
    Holy Batman.

I haven't seen this kind of rationalizing before.

BBRY, please, limit me as much as you can, because I am unable to control myself. And of course, I hate options and choice in general.
    Saiga, Drew808, Donvald and 8 others like this.
    06-08-13 11:16 AM
    Wow. Not sure how to answer this, since you apparently don't really understand the terms and words you're using.

Neither is BB10 the first smartphone with a RTOS. There is one running inside iPhones for example.

And there are hundreds of millions of feature phones on the market that is running a RTOS.
    Shhhh. Let them think BB10 is the same thing as the International Space Station, or a nuclear power plant. It is funnier that way
    aniym and h20work like this.
    06-08-13 11:19 AM

Posted via CB10
    That's sad. After more than a year since the issue was acknowledged and a fix promised, it's still "coming soon".
    06-08-13 11:20 AM
    Blackberry 10 will have headless apps. Coming in 10.2 update.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 11:22 AM
    To put everything in a simpler perspective, if you can consider 'i" and "A" smart phones, then we can assume that BlackBerry's phones are also smart... they are basically doing the same things using different OS environment... with the help of third party applications, we can say that one becomes smarter than others...
    privateeyes likes this.
    06-08-13 11:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's funny that you mention battery life. Here is a screenshot from my Nexus 4. Taken right after your post.

Should BlackBerry still be considered a smartphone?-2013-06-08-00.16.39.jpg[

I'm not looking for a longer charging cable.
    Shhhh. Let them think BB10 is the same thing as the International Space Station, or a nuclear power plant. It is funnier that way
    That always annoys me! You know what that oh-so advanced RTOS QNX actually DOES in a nuclear power plant? Mind-numbingly simple and boring tasks like making sure that a valve stays open. Or closes under particular conditions. Now is that important work, where you want a reliable RTOS?

Yes. Yes it sure is.

But from a computer science point of view, it's also an immensely SIMPLE task compared to a modern smartphone, which is (and this is without exaggeration) hundreds of times more complex.
    Saiga likes this.

I've done my research to know what I'm talking about. I didn't see OS X or iOS in the list of RTOSs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rating_systems). Infineon RTOS only runs in the chip in the iPhone which isn't part of its software.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 11:51 AM
    I think the term "smartphone" is inadequate for today's devices. They're so much more than phones with extra features. They're mobile computing devices with phone functionality being one of their many capabilities.
    06-08-13 11:53 AM
224 123 ...