I was exploring folders of my Z10 from my PC and noticed a "magic" file in one of the folders. It's an empty file named .nomedia (note the dot at the beginning). The folder contained cached pictures which don't show up in the Pictures app. This immediately struck me, so I created a folder inside music folder, copied few MP3 files there and checked the Music app - my MP3s were there. Now I went to that folder and created .nomedia file inside it - MP3s immediately disappeared from the player.

So, it looks like if you create an empty .nomedia file (dot at the beginning is important!) in any folder, all media files inside this folder and all of its subfolders won't show up in Music, Pictures and Videos apps. Now you can place your ringtones anywhere you like

The blackberry file manager doesn't allow to create arbitrary files, so you can only create .nomedia file from your PC/Mac (alternative file managers from BlackBerry World might also work, but I didn't check this). This file is hidden so be sure to enable showing of hidden files in your file manager.

One downside of this is that music files hidden from the player will also not show up when you want to set a custom ringtone for a contact. But there is a workaround for this: first, set custom ringtones for the contacts you want and then create .nomedia file. If you want to set ringtone for a contact after creating this file: first remove it, then set a ringtone and finally create it again. I tried it and it works!

Note: This was tested on OS version 10.1.0.2342, so your results may vary.
    06-05-13 04:45 PM
    Thanks for this! I have been wanting to play my music without my ringtones being played in the process.
    06-05-13 04:53 PM
    Thank you for this!!
    06-05-13 05:02 PM
    Or put them in the voice folder

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 05:03 PM
    For a folder with JPGs, it didn't work. The pictures showed up in Pictures app. I used a shell app to verify the .nomedia folder was there. Oh well.
    .nomedia should be a file, not a folder.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by leppa; 06-05-13 at 05:54 PM.
    06-05-13 05:32 PM
    I created a folder called BlackBerry on my media card and put another folder called Ringtones inside it. With all my ringtones in there they don't show up in my music and I have access to them all to use with my contacts.

Posted via CB10
    BB10QNX likes this.
    06-05-13 05:56 PM
    Great find!

EDIT: The funniest thing... It worked for the Parrot folder... but not for the ringtones folder. Go figure!
    Last edited by diegonei; 06-05-13 at 06:08 PM.
    06-05-13 05:57 PM
    I created a folder called BlackBerry on my media card and put another folder called Ringtones inside it. With all my ringtones in there they don't show up in my music and I have access to them all to use with my contacts.
    Unfortunately, this didn't work for me. Was trying both with media card and internal memory, with both Ringtones and "Ring tones" names. Also, not everyone has/uses a media card.

Seems like everybody finds his own hack, while BlackBerry should have made a well defined, documented way since the very beginning.

Posted via CB10
    BB10QNX likes this.
    06-05-13 06:23 PM
    please tell me hoe to make a blank file named .nomedia when I create it I get themessage the file must have a name. do I make a blank text doc and change the ext to .nomedia?
    06-10-13 03:56 PM
    cool, thanks op
    06-10-13 04:26 PM

please tell me hoe to make a blank file named .nomedia when I create it I get themessage the file must have a name. do I make a blank text doc and change the ext to .nomedia?
    i can't do it either
    06-10-13 04:26 PM
    Aha! It was getting really annoying when the ring tones were getting played! Everytime my cars Bluetooth detected my BlackBerry, it defaults to play all.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 05:46 PM
    Oh, sorry. I completely forgot that Windows Explorer can't create dotfiles. Been using FAR for as long as I can remember.

Try opening Notepad, selecting Save As..., selecting All Files as a file type, putting .nomedia as a file name and saving.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 03:54 AM
    Oh, sorry. I completely forgot that Windows Explorer can't create dotfiles. Been using FAR for as long as I can remember.

Try opening Notepad, selecting Save As..., selecting All Files as a file type, putting .nomedia as a file name and saving.

Posted via CB10
    The workaround you suggested is working fine.

I tried to share the file as attachment here, but it woudl not get accepted by CB
    06-11-13 05:22 AM
    I posted long ago on how to address this...and you don't need to do anything more than create a folder JUST for ringtones where you MOVE all of your ringtones to. This .nomedia thing the OP refers to - is not needed.

In File Manager, simply create a folder called "Ringtones" dump all your ringtones into it and you're done. if that doesn't work for you, you don't know what you're doing.
    06-11-13 06:30 AM
    I posted long ago on how to address this...and you don't need to do anything more than create a folder JUST for ringtones where you MOVE all of your ringtones to. This .nomedia thing the OP refers to - is not needed.

In File Manager, simply create a folder called "Ringtones" dump all your ringtones into it and you're done. if that doesn't work for you, you don't know what you're doing.
    I think that's a harsh statement.
    Perhaps it is a OS version dependent thing?

I have my ringtones in a separate folder, and they do show up in the music library.
    In few minutes I will edit the post, and attach few screens directly from my Z10...

Attachment 170700

Attachment 170701

Attachment 170702

Attachment 170703
    Last edited by PiotrJot; 06-11-13 at 07:18 AM.
    06-11-13 07:03 AM
    Apparently sticking them in the voice directory resolves this, I was informed by Michael Clewley. But this is useful information as well! Thanks

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 07:08 AM
    I stated from day one in Feb what can be done, but I guess ppl never search. Your option is ok for those who do not have a sd card installed.

For those who do:

All you need to do is if you have a sd card make sure to format it with the phone and then put all the ringtones you want into the ringtone folder that's on the sd card.

Then simply delete the ringtones in the ringtone folder on the device and then when choosing a ringtone just point to the ringtone folder onto the sd card.

Any future ringtones you download just put them into the ringtone folder on the sd card.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 07:17 AM
    I stated from day one in Feb what can be done, but I guess ppl never search. Your option is ok for those who do not have a sd card installed.

For those who do:

All you need to do is if you have a sd card make sure to format it with the phone and then put all the ringtones you want into the ringtone folder that's on the sd card.

Then simply delete the ringtones in the ringtone folder on the device and then when choosing a ringtone just point to the ringtone folder onto the sd card.

Any future ringtones you download just put them into the ringtone folder on the sd card.
    Posted via CB10
    Have a look below, they are in a separate folder on the SD card...
    06-11-13 07:22 AM
    Maybe I'm in the wrong forum but nothing in this thread (except perhaps the .nomedia workaround) is useable on our two z10s. With the ideas presented either the ringtone plays by the music app or they can't be found by the individual contacts ringtone selector.

What will work is allowing owners to add to the default ringtones that come with the device.
    06-11-13 07:59 AM
    So, I did this on a folder with various picture formats and it worked like a charm.The .nomedia file is hidden and can not be seen in file manager. The next questions is how do you reverse this tip? In Windows 7, you can delete the .nomedia hidden file by using the control panels to view hidden files and then navigate to the proper folder and delete the file.

I added this comment because it took me a while to figure that out. I know I "don't know what I'm doing." and thought others may be wondering as well.
    CMcRob likes this.
    06-11-13 09:50 AM
    None of these options seems to work for me. I have two folders on my SD card called Ringtones and wallpapers and i have added a file called .nomedia in each, but the ringtones still show in my media player and the wallpapers still show in my pictures app.
    06-13-13 11:08 AM
    I have been trying to find something that is easy and works. This should work for you. Save your Ringtones in a voice folder - the voice folder ether on your device or on your media card. When you want to select the ring tone for a contact just "browse music" find the folder and your tone. Saving it in a voice file won't include it in the music library.
    websterny likes this.
    06-19-13 02:26 AM
    I have been trying to find something that is easy and works. This should work for you. Save your Ringtones in a voice folder - the voice folder ether on your device or on your media card. When you want to select the ring tone for a contact just "browse music" find the folder and your tone. Saving it in a voice file won't include it in the music library.

Ok so this only works if you don't want to have custom ringtones for specific contacts. You can find your Ringtones for profiles but not contacts. Sorry for the false fix
    06-19-13 11:48 PM
    Thanks!

Posted with mah Z10!
    06-20-13 12:45 AM
34 12