BlackBerry has unveiled a new solution for automakers that lets them manage and deliver "Over-the-air" (OTA) software updates to vehicles. Leveraging BlackBerry's existing global and secure infrastructure, which today delivers software updates to millions of BlackBerry devices around the world, the Software Update Management for Automotive service facilitates machine-to-machine (M2M) communication directly between the automaker and the vehicle, allowing the automaker to easily provide software updates to vehicles in the field....

.....Through BlackBerry's OTA service, which provides secure global distribution and is highly scalable to support millions of vehicles, automakers can deliver a number of new capabilities to customers, including software updates, new applications, and the ability to get the status of functional systems in a vehicle.

The development of OTA services is part of BlackBerry's broader mobile computing strategy. BlackBerry is providing the foundation for a new era of mobile computing by connecting mobile end points securely and creating opportunities for community building, connecting and sharing.

Biztech2.com India - BlackBerry Demonstrates Mobile Computing Service For Automakers - News on Mobility Enterprise Solutions
    06-05-13 04:53 AM
    https://t.co/n7F8FL7gWC

Related BlackBerry Web site.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-13 05:00 AM
    Maybe they can incorporate OTA updates to their existing customers too? ( I know, facitious of me).
    06-05-13 05:02 AM
    Maybe they can incorporate OTA updates to their existing customers too? ( I know, facitious of me).
    You should not be chastised for this....I admit, I had to bite my virtual tongue when posting. ;-)
    06-05-13 06:25 AM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    can't wait to see Blackberry begin to monetize and generate a new and profitable revenue stream for its business .. leveraging the power of QNX and Blackberry infrastructure .... do it!!!
    06-05-13 07:25 AM
    And so it begins M2M. Go BB and the brand recognition push kicks off.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    06-05-13 08:23 AM
    The other beauty of this is that is helps to put a dent in the argument of BlackBerry losing service revenue. For the automakers and other industries it's a win-win situation since the delivery service is carrier independent, or at least agnostic, and all but transparent. This is just the beginning of new methods of monetising the BIS infrastructure.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    06-05-13 08:43 AM
    Global OTA roll-out works great on Wifi playbooks, when they issue them. If they can send OTA's to QNX car systems on that same network, I think it will work great. Now, I bet carriers in North America will want a piece of the pie similar to the Canadian mobile payments but I think auto manufacturers won't bend so easily.
    06-05-13 09:10 AM
    I think it's a good play, and I really, really hope it gains traction. That said, it's going to be a tough haul.
    richardat likes this.
    06-05-13 10:22 AM