Sorry, rant post. Here we go.

Anyone tired of this oligopoly that is our mobile phone industry? I have been a Verizon customer since the first day I bought a cellphone many many years ago. But now it's just getting ridiculously expensive, and it's not only Verizon, Sprint and AT&T aren't much different. Anyone remember the good old days when you didn't have to buy a $30/month data plan? Thank God I got grandfathered in the $15/month for 150MB plan from my old Blackberry so I don't have to pay $30/month for 2GB of data. 2GB data is more data than I need in 2 years. I'm someone who uses his phone as a phone - for calls, a few texts, and occasionally responding to important emails - not someone who uses his phone as a big toy/small computer - for music, videos, web browsing etc.

So last night I did some research, looking for a cheaper carrier and fell in love with TMobile. I then called Verizon hoping to cancel my contract only to find out that I will be charged a $180 early termination fee if I cancel before my contract is over. So I went to a TMobile store today and asked the manager if they have any promotion/incentive for me to ditch Verizon. Since they're on the bottom of the big mobile service providers, maybe they'll take on more risk for a loyal customer. TMobile people said that they have had customers before switching before contract's end, and TMobile paid half of the customer's early termination fee. So I thought, great, let me call TMobile and see if I can get that. Called 3 times, got 3 different CSR, all said no.

Then I did some research online to see if there's any way to get out of contract without having to pay a hefty ETF. The things people come up with now days... Fake my own death? Tell them I'm deployed? The most reasonable one is to check the billing policy from the past few months and see if any changed. So I tried to do that online, couldn't find it, chatted up CSR for about 20 minutes to ask for Verizon's billing policy. This was extremely difficult for her to understand. After some more time, she came back and said that the only thing that changed was my data plan (it hasn't changed for years). At which point I gave up.

Any idea for me to get out of this contract without having to pay the ETF?
    06-04-13 01:35 PM
    Well, I'm assuming that you'd just be going for the flat $50 plan on T-Mo that includes unlimited calls and texts and 500mb data, is that correct? If so, how much are you paying on Verizon and how long do you have left on your contract? You have the $15 data plan on top of which plan for talk and text? If it comes out to be, say, $30 less on T-Mo, that's $30 less than you'd be paying than on Verizon. Let's assume you still have 6 months left in your contract. $30 over the span of 6 months is $180, the exact price of your ETF. So basically, switching to T-Mo would pay for the ETF itself in the savings that you'd be getting. Would that type of scenario play out if you switched?
    06-04-13 01:46 PM
    Move to an area of poor service, so you constantly roam?
    06-04-13 01:46 PM
    Well, I'm assuming that you'd just be going for the flat $50 plan on T-Mo that includes unlimited calls and texts and 500mb data, is that correct? If so, how much are you paying on Verizon and how long do you have left on your contract? You have the $15 data plan on top of which plan for talk and text? If it comes out to be, say, $30 less on T-Mo, that's $30 less than you'd be paying than on Verizon. Let's assume you still have 6 months left in your contract. $30 over the span of 6 months is $180, the exact price of your ETF. So basically, switching to T-Mo would pay for the ETF itself in the savings that you'd be getting. Would that type of scenario play out if you switched?
    I would break even, approximately, that is if I don't buy a new phone on TMobile, but I do plan to get a new phone.

Not willing to find somewhere to relocate for my phone haha, not that serious about it.
    06-04-13 02:19 PM
    So why exactly are you using a smartphone? If you use your phone as just a phone, you can save a lot more money by switching to a feature phone. You'll also skip out on the data plan.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-13 05:45 PM
    ...Any idea for me to get out of this contract without having to pay the ETF?
    How about honoring the contract that you voluntarily entered into? Like responsible adults are expected to do.
    jamesharmeling and tk-093 like this.
    06-04-13 05:52 PM
    So why exactly are you using a smartphone? If you use your phone as just a phone, you can save a lot more money by switching to a feature phone. You'll also skip out on the data plan.

Posted via CB10
    I need a smartphone for responding to emails mainly. And the very very rare web browsing.
    06-04-13 06:41 PM
    Don't forget you can get the 300 MB data plan as well, which if in the future you had to switch within VZW is cheaper than the 2GB... It seems they sort of hide it, back when we switched to the newer plans I had to ask about it, I'm not sure if they advertise it much.
    06-05-13 09:36 AM
    I can't help with the VZW part of the problem, but be sure TMO provides coverage where you live, work, play, and travel. I use TMO and I'm happy, but network and roaming coverage can be a problem for some.
    raino likes this.
    06-05-13 10:31 AM
    I can't help with the VZW part of the problem, but be sure TMO provides coverage where you live, work, play, and travel. I use TMO and I'm happy, but network and roaming coverage can be a problem for some.
    Definitely check to make sure T-Mobile covers you first. I thought about making the switch until I saw the 2G only service for pretty much the entire area around me while VZW and Sprint both offer LTE.

Also, if you do make the change you will need to get a new phone since your CDMA device will not play nice on T-Mo's GSM network.
    06-05-13 12:07 PM
    You cannot get the 300 mg plan with a smartphone. They won't do it no matter how much you complain.

For some people like myself, based on where you live, you are stuck with a certain carrier. I would love to switch to t mobile but unless you live in the city, tmobile is lacking in coverage.
    06-06-13 06:51 PM
    Try then phone and service, then take it back after a few weeks if you aren't satisfied with the coverage. I felt exactly like you, which is why I switched.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.2354)
    06-06-13 06:56 PM
    You cannot get the 300 mg plan with a smartphone. They won't do it no matter how much you complain.

For some people like myself, based on where you live, you are stuck with a certain carrier. I would love to switch to t mobile but unless you live in the city, tmobile is lacking in coverage.
    Incorrect, you absolutely can. You just have to call customer service, that's the plan I am on, all you have to do is ask.
    06-06-13 08:38 PM
    Incorrect, you absolutely can. You just have to call customer service, that's the plan I am on, all you have to do is ask.
    If anyone can get the 300 mg plan with a smartphone as of 2013 please pm me. News to me and thousands of Verizon customers
    06-06-13 10:44 PM
    If anyone can get the 300 mg plan with a smartphone as of 2013 please pm me. News to me and thousands of Verizon customers
    PM sent, let me know if ya have any questions, I'll do my best! Anyone else with questions, don't hesitate to hit me up!
    06-06-13 11:11 PM
    I think you can only get the 300MB plan if you are grandfathered in the 150MB plan.
    06-07-13 08:18 PM
    I think you can only get the 300MB plan if you are grandfathered in the 150MB plan.
    Again this is incorrect. See above.
    06-07-13 09:54 PM
    Roam to much and they will pay for your ETF and that is for any carrier

Posted via CB10
    06-09-13 10:00 PM
    I would think twice before you switch! T-Mobile doesn't have nearly the coverage verizon has.
    I have read where several have switched and regretted doing so the very first day. When you are accustom to almost flawless service T-Mobile might disappoint you!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-13 08:28 PM
    PM sent, let me know if ya have any questions, I'll do my best! Anyone else with questions, don't hesitate to hit me up!
    Still haven't figured out how to check PMs. Is it the same as Crackberry email?
    06-17-13 05:51 AM
    Well I never sent one to you if you were wanting from one from me, but to check your PMs click the envelope under your username near the top of the page. Also, thanks to the improvements made by the amazing CrackBerry team, when you sign in you'll receive a dialogue window notifying you of new messages
    06-20-13 10:36 AM
    You 100% can switch to the 300mb Share Everything plan with a smartphone on Verizon. It would give you unlimited talk and text, as well, for about $80/mo (or less if you have some sort of an employee discount). You can even change to this plan online using your My Verizon account, if you want, this is not something they are "hiding" from their customers.

Posted via CB10 on my AWESOME VZW STL100-4 Z10!
    06-21-13 12:37 AM
    Unfortunately I am seriously thinking of switching when my contract is up in August . I've had an outgoing email problem with my Z10 for the last month or so. Every email I send gets cut off or is unreadable. Verizon has acknowledged that this is a known problem with some Z10's, but the only solution they have is wait for an update. Which I understand but they refuse to give me any type of compensation for my problem. I am on the road most of the day and cannot respond to emails until I get home at night. Yes there coverage is good, but this has really left a bad taste in my mouth towards Verizon. Paying over $100 a month and not being able to send emails is unacceptable.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 09:54 AM
    Don't switch tmobile coverage is horrible, you go in your basement you will have no service at all even outside of your basement you still will have very very very bad service. You get what you pay for

Posted via CB10
    06-22-13 04:23 PM
    Don't switch tmobile coverage is horrible, you go in your basement you will have no service at all even outside of your basement you still will have very very very bad service. You get what you pay for

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree with you Deutsche Telekom is actually a good company... in Europe but just to be fair some people like T-Mobile because of some of the Wi-Fi calling features, which is that suits your lifestyle better, maybe its a good thing. I know it's hard to complain with VZW because none of the carriers are perfect...
    angieberry10 likes this.
    06-22-13 05:50 PM
30 12