It seems to me that tethering requires BB-link for some obscure reason. I have Windows but run Linux 95% of the time is there anyway to use tethering without BB-link
    06-04-13 10:16 AM
    Why tether when you can set up a WiFi hotspot?

Anyway. It has alwys been this way, you needed Desktop Software/Manager for legacy devices and now you need BB Link for BB10 devices.
    06-04-13 11:04 AM
    Well if you have no wifi. P8z68 deluxe doesn't the point of Thething is to use you phone for internet not internet for phone. It's no problem with my old android (Razr from late 2011) so just assumed...
    06-04-13 11:39 AM
    Well if you have no wifi. P8z68 deluxe doesn't the point of Thething is to use you phone for internet not internet for phone. It's no problem with my old android (Razr from late 2011) so just assumed...
    A WiFi hotspot means turning your phone into a wireless access point. You can't have "no wifi" because your phone IS the WiFi.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    06-04-13 01:14 PM
    A WiFi hotspot means turning your phone into a wireless access point. You can't have "no wifi" because your phone IS the WiFi.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Agreed, but maybe he means his PC/laptop doesn't have WiFi...

Well OP, I can't help. BB Link doesn't support Linux. If you still have the android phone, consider moving the SIM card into it...
    06-05-13 02:42 PM
    I used Easytether back in the days when I had an android, it is now available on Blackberry world, I just got it the other day and you can use it for USB access with a windoze computer. I also prefer Linux, but that require Bluetooth PAN for now, I did not feel like setting it up, as I really just want to use it on the road now and then with an old Think Pad. It works great and your cell provider does not even know you are using it. Only $10 for easy access.

BlackBerry World - EasyTether Pro
    06-10-13 01:18 PM
    I used Easytether back in the days when I had an android, it is now available on Blackberry world, I just got it the other day and you can use it for USB access with a windoze computer. I also prefer Linux, but that require Bluetooth PAN for now, I did not feel like setting it up, as I really just want to use it on the road now and then with an old Think Pad. It works great and your cell provider does not even know you are using it. Only $10 for easy access.

BlackBerry World - EasyTether Pro
    That's for legacy devices only. There is no tethering app for bb10 yet. I mean, 3rd party app

PIN 333AE4B3
    06-10-13 07:43 PM
    No app (per se) is required for tethering a BB10 device to Linux. I tether to my minimal Arch + scrotwm box all the time. Neither barry, nor berry4all are required. BlackBerry Link? VM environment? Not necessary. Connect as Mac (not Autodetect or Windows), bring up usb0 and have dhcpcd do it's magic. modprobe usbnet if required. There is no need to drop the device into Development Mode either. Just make sure that dhcpcd is not first bound to an existing network interface such as eth0. For those interested in building the required driver modules into the kernel (currently at 3.10.10):

Code:
    # USB Network Adapters
    #
    CONFIG_USB_USBNET=y
    CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER=y
    Two modules are all that is required. Happy tethering!
    Last edited by adamlau; 08-31-13 at 03:35 PM.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-31-13 03:44 AM
    I think I need to tether my Z10 - I am trying to make a wireless hotspot BUT without wireless N. This is because I have a remote client/repeater router and if the Master wifi has wireless N enabled the whole network becomes unstable. Unfortunately there does not seem to be an option on the Z10 for disabling wireless N. So my next thought was to USB tether the Z10 to my OpenWrt (master) router - according to Openwrt this should be supported, however I can't get it working. The examples given on the OpenWrt forum (here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=29967) are all based on Android. Anyone linux wizards got any idea why I can't get it working with my Z10?
    Thanks
    10-16-13 11:14 PM
    No app (per se) is required for tethering a BB10 device to Linux. I tether to my minimal Arch + scrotwm box all the time. Neither barry, nor berry4all are required. BlackBerry Link? VM environment? Not necessary. Connect as Mac (not Autodetect or Windows), bring up usb0 and have dhcpcd do it's magic. modprobe usbnet if required. There is no need to drop the device into Development Mode either. Just make sure that dhcpcd is not first bound to an existing network interface such as eth0. For those interested in building the required driver modules into the kernel (currently at 3.10.10):

Code:
    # USB Network Adapters
    #
    CONFIG_USB_USBNET=y
    CONFIG_USB_NET_CDCETHER=y
    Two modules are all that is required. Happy tethering!
    I'm running multiple versions, all debian variants (mint, ubuntu lts 12.04, 12.10 and 13.10).
    I have intermittent issues when using connect to mac. I used to use connect to mac exclusively, but realized connect to windows seems to work better. Never tried usb tethering before, but just tried and It worked without any extra steps on all my distros. Just enabled tethering then connected to computer via usb, opened Web browser and went Google.
    10-16-13 11:38 PM
    The key to usb tethering is setting your usb type to "Mac" under storage options...seems auto-detect does not recognize linux. Then under tethering, select usb and enable. Voila!
    Your network manager should pick up a dhcp address over usb.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 08:20 AM
    I have Debian testing and I want to transfer a video from my computer to my BlackBerry z10 or SD card on my z10. Helpppppppp!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 12:30 AM
    I have Debian testing and I want to transfer a video from my computer to my BlackBerry z10 or SD card on my z10. Helpppppppp!

Posted via CB10
    Maybe try filezilla or dropbox?
    01-21-15 02:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Learn to mount the SD as a partition?

I'd tell you how, but it's been almost 10 years since I used Linux.
    01-21-15 04:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    In case you are still looking, here's the command:

smb://<your device's ipv4 address>

 Q5
    diegonei likes this.
    01-21-15 05:47 PM
    I have been able to get my Z10 to work with SMB, but thus far no luck using the tethering option. (Tethering does work in windows. )

Note the Mac / PC option no longer exists in 10.3.1.

Running opensuse, I can easily get the computer to see the phone. The DHCP doesn't work, but if I assign an address it does show up when running ifconfig. However I can't get the internet.

Posted via CB10
    gvs1341 likes this.
    03-03-15 02:08 PM
    I have been able to get my Z10 to work with SMB, but thus far no luck using the tethering option. (Tethering does work in windows. )

Note the Mac / PC option no longer exists in 10.3.1.

Running opensuse, I can easily get the computer to see the phone. The DHCP doesn't work, but if I assign an address it does show up when running ifconfig. However I can't get the internet.

Posted via CB10
    Funny same issue
    This is funny too
    Tethering BB-link?, Linux-img_20150303_153214.png

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-03-15 02:39 PM
    Funny same issue
    This is funny too
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150303_153214.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	338503

No, I get past that point. I have the phone showing up when I ifconfig on the linux box. I need to assign an address, that is it won't dhcp. What I can't get is internet access.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 06:03 PM
    No, I get past that point. I have the phone showing up when I ifconfig on the linux box. I need to assign an address, that is it won't dhcp. What I can't get is internet access.

Posted via CB10
    Yaya, I can get it connected. But I noticed if you try to toggle USB tethering without a USB cord plugged in, it gives a bs error. As you said earlier, the setting you are directed to in the prompt I posted screenshot of, doesn't exist anymore.

Previously I could plug in and it worked. It connects now but as you said, won't reach the internet.

03-03-15 08:55 PM
    Yaya, I can get it connected. But I noticed if you try to toggle USB tethering without a USB cord plugged in, it gives a bs error. As you said earlier, the setting you are directed to in the prompt I posted screenshot of, doesn't exist anymore.

Previously I could plug in and it worked. It connects now but as you said, won't reach the internet.

Oh now I get what you meant. Yes, it tells you to do something you can't do.

I have a gut feeling we need to mess with udev to force the linux box to do networking over usb rather than just storage.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-15 11:40 PM
    Can't pin point your issue but I dual boot Windows and Ubuntu 14.04 on both my desktop and laptop.

When I connect my devices to Ubuntu, it identifies the device as being online as an ethernet network connection with a popup notification.

When I switch on tethering via the device I get two notifications:
    1. The ethernet network is disconnected,
    And after about 15 seconds:
    2. The device is online and there is internet/ network coverage available.

I didn't do any initial setup etc except changing the network names via the network manager. The devices were automatically recognised and listed in the network manager.

EDIT: I'm using 10.2.1 on both devices.

 Q5 / Z30
    03-04-15 03:08 AM
    I described here way to share files between almost any OS and BlackBerry via Wifi.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=992101

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 12:21 PM
    I described here way to share files between almost any OS and BlackBerry via Wifi.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=992101

Posted via CB10
    OK, but note that is not an internet tether.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 02:55 PM
    There is a linux program called usb_modeswitch. This program makes the phone appear as a new device. I suspect this is the key to tethering.

From reading the page linked below, the phone tries to install a driver for Windows. This is a "feature" for Windows users since they won't need a cdrom to install the driver. Now maybe when the windows/mac feature was working on the BlackBerry, selecting Mac killed the driver feature.

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

I have it installed, but it is not "automatic" as indicated on the link above.

What does the "hive" think?

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 12:53 AM
    I need the USB product ID for a Z10 in "mac" mode when tethered. Not owning a Mac let alone not knowing the commands, I'm hoping the usb product ID can be found with the lsusb command.

For a Z10, the vendor ID is 0xfca. That should be true for all BlackBerry devices. For a Z10 in smb mode, the product ID is 0x8014. For a Z10 in windows tethered mode, the product ID is 0x8017.
    http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
    Unfortunately the list has nothing newer than a Playbook.

I think the idea is to mode switch to a Mac, which should get around the driver loading problem

Posted via CB10
    03-06-15 07:27 PM
27 12