10-11-08 08:39 AM
    In that RIM doesn't command the attention that Jobs does, he has a point. I wonder if he's underestimating the truly viral coverage the Storm is getting though.
    10-11-08 08:49 AM
    In that RIM doesn't command the attention that Jobs does, he has a point. I wonder if he's underestimating the truly viral coverage the Storm is getting though.
    I agree. Although many more people don't follow viral coverage like we in the forums so hopefully there will be MANY commercials.
    10-11-08 08:58 AM
    i don't see what the fuss is about, hes completely right. like he stated theres nothing wrong with the Blackberry Storm, but it won't be as ground breaking as the iPhone, because A) blackberry although well known doesn't exactly have the youth as a target market. B) Apple is mainly riding off the success of its iPod and is doing it well by providing the market with great devices that are ground breaking 1) touch screen phone 2) standard webcam in all there computers. things of that sort. So basically, i do think that this phone will be amazing, and will succeed in nearly everything that rim has set out for it to do, but it will not kill the iphone at all, nor do i think it will bring as many customers to verizon as the iphone stole from other carriers. All in all, i don't really look at the iphone as a huge competition, i look at it as a phone that gave the phone manufacturers and the wireless carriers a big kick in the *** and basically told them to start offering awesome phones with more choices and such. just my 2cents
    10-11-08 09:00 AM
    I was all set to disagree with CNET, based on the headline. But, I can't. Nothing can beat the Apple hype machine. It's a shame, too.
    10-11-08 09:05 AM
    I can't stand the fact that he assumed that the average user won't know the coming "Storm." We have no idea what other marketing/advertising plans VZ or RIM has in store.

TV advertizing just began this week with (hopefully) a month to go before release. The companies may intensify marketing/advertising sooner rather than later.
    10-11-08 09:06 AM
    Go ahead and ask the person next to you at the office about the BlackBerry Storm. Chances are, if they aren't in to technology like you and I, they wouldn't have the slightest clue about it even though it's making headlines all over the tech world today.
    Not around my office. Three of us will be buying this thing the day it comes out and almost everyone around the office knows about it. Another guy is interested in it as his first smart phone. My two nephews who own iphones know all about it also.

Everyone knows the iphone is only available on ATT, and almost everyone I know who is on Verizon will not switch for the iphone.
    10-11-08 09:09 AM
    I can't stand the fact that he assumed that the average user won't know the coming "Storm." We have no idea what other marketing/advertising plans VZ or RIM has in store.

TV advertizing just began this week with (hopefully) a month to go before release. The companies may intensify marketing/advertising sooner rather than later.
    the thing where your comparison is off, is that the iphone, was anticipated for nearly a year, although weve all been waiting for a long *** time for this, everything he said in the review was correct. im sure verizon will do a good job advertising this phone, but any one of my friends or family that ive mentioned to this phone really had no idea about it, a year before the iphone came out almost every tech and gadget website was following it religiously.
    10-11-08 09:11 AM
    I think verizon is going to sell tons of bb storms.
    I have owned both the iphone and iphone 3G, but prefer verizon over att

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 09:17 AM
    I think verizon is going to sell tons of bb storms.
    I have owned both the iphone and iphone 3G, but prefer verizon over att

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    exactly why i feel like some people will see this as a substitute. Not all, but some.
    10-11-08 09:21 AM
    Well no kiddin?!?!?!?! Is this the same as a Chevy not being a Ford? Or day not being night?

Sorry just had to throw some humor in there..................
    10-11-08 09:22 AM
    exactly, to me it isn't Storm vs Iphone, it is Verizon vs ATT. I was with Verizon for 8 years, left for 3 months to get and original iphone which i loved, but couldnt stand the ATT coverage and issues. I am in a High 3g area also according to ATT's website. If the Iphone were to ever come to Verizon, then yes I would definetly own one. But ATT simply cant compare with Verizon, atleast were I live.
    10-11-08 09:23 AM
    Gotcha, NFLBlitze1. My pet peeve (jumping to conclusions) was misdirected.

Funny about people not knowing: Yesterday, I stumbled on coworkers (a few) talking about the Storm in the break room. I knew about it way before hand (thanks Crackberry).

I guess if VZ did a public "Minute with Mike" infomercial at this time a year ago, then MANY more people would be following developments.
    10-11-08 09:23 AM
    It will all work out in the end. If RIM's goal was to crush Apple, I personally think that they could make much better headway. But I don't think that is their goal.

But I do think they have a much stronger hold on the business market, and as these Gen X & Yer's grow up and become a stronger force in the biz community - they will be handed a BB from their employer. Long term thinkers on track with their goals Waterloo is.
    10-11-08 09:28 AM
    It will all work out in the end. If RIM's goal was to crush Apple, I personally think that they could make much better headway. But I don't think that is their goal.

But I do think they have a much stronger hold on the business market, and as these Gen X & Yer's grow up and become a stronger force in the biz community - they will be handed a BB from their employer. Long term thinkers on track with their goals Waterloo is.
    i like to think of it a great step in the direction, because basically, the bold and the storm are the same phone nearly, looks wise and operational wise, the only difference really is the touch screen and few other things, but for the most part the bold is for people who want the physical keyboard, the storm is for people (younger and gadget freaks), who really want something a little more "hip" and ahead of the curve.
    10-11-08 09:37 AM
    One other item I wanted to mention, I read somewhere that the top selling phone in the world is still the Motorola RAZR (believe it or not), I went to NPD's web-site, and checked their research about the iPhone, and other smartphones. Of the top four, RIM has two of the spots (Curve and Pearl).

THE NPD GROUP: ONE IN THREE IPHONE 3G BUYERS SWITCHED FROM OTHER CARRIERS TO JOIN AT&T

What I found interesting is that 1 in 3 say they switched carriers to get the iPhone. Does anyone want to wager what the ratio might be for the Storm (assuming attempts to unlock it are unsuccessful)? ....and, could it get RIM a third spot on the list?
    10-11-08 09:38 AM
    i agree with this - the iphone is not only a product / brand .. but its a CULTURE in its own right.

Blackberry is a household word in itself so perhaps overtime The Storm will be more in the limelight, but for now if your not INTO the whole tech scene, the everage person will not know it exists. . . . but u can bet your **** that EVERYONE knows the word .. iphone!
    10-11-08 09:40 AM
    lol, just like everyone know iPod, i feel like the blackberry storm will turn out like the Zune, it will take 2nd place in the touch phone market but be way behind the iphone in sales, but sells enough to keep a following
    10-11-08 09:42 AM
    lol, just like everyone know iPod, i feel like the blackberry storm will turn out like the Zune, it will take 2nd place in the touch phone market but be way behind the iphone in sales, but sells enough to keep a following
    I just hope it doesn't wind up being the BetaMax.
    10-11-08 10:14 AM
    but it will not kill the iphone at all, nor do i think it will bring as many customers to verizon as the iphone stole from other carriers.
    While I agree with you it will not "kill the i-phone" because nothing could get everyone off that idea. I do disagree about the stealing customers.

The same months the iphone came out, Verizons Churn didn't rise, and actually went lower **which is good, means less losses** for the same quarters and following quarters.

Also word around the LNP team is people are porting back constantly regretting the network or bugs

**NOT SAYING AT&T IS WORSE I'M JUST SAYING THERE ARE ALOT OF PEOPLE THAT HAVE FELT THAT WAY, DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A CARRIER DEBATE FOR COVERAGE ETC**

I think the appeal of verizon is underwhelmed here. Lot's of people have a positive brand recognition with VZW, not all, but it is all in all a well known, and respected company. So that will pull people away from carriers.

Also RIM is a bigger name to alot of people than Apple, the primary market is a middle ground of 24 - 45ish, which rim has been around for a long time. Apple may take the teens, tweens, and younger adults, but RIM has a spot in all of those, especially as of late, and also probably alot more with the 25 - 30 + crowd.

I'm not basing this on any facts, just speculation, and what I hear/see on a daily basis. I do believe RIM stands a chance to be a solid competition to the iphone in many ways, get rid of it? No. Stand the potential to steal as many customers or more? absolutely!

It's like WoW vs Warhammer **For all you game nerds**

WoW = Long time recognized game, 10 million + subscribers. There is no toppling that giant, even though personally, Warhammer > WoW, IMO, It will never pull the numbers WoW has, I don't think it will get the mainstream appeal, but it will do a "well enough" job.

RIM vs Apple will be a lil different, but same concept. Rim is already the > of the marketshare, Apple is still a minority we forget. So RIM just has to remain king of the hill, and this device will provide that security in the Smartphone market, and push them into a consumer market even more heavily.
    10-11-08 10:56 AM
    Wow what a depressing article. But honestly does anyone here give a damn about the iPhone or how the Storm can take away sales from Apple? I think it's just a bunch of useless non-sense. The guy who wrote that article is too into the whole marketing portion of these devices and he doesn't even bother to compare the two devices. Bad article IMO. Not only is it incredibly obvious AND overdone that Apple is dominating, but he barely talked about the Storm.
    10-11-08 11:24 AM
    Here's what everyone is missing here.

RIM DOESN'T DO THEIR OWN ADVERTISING OF EACH AND EVERY PRODUCT THEY SELL.

They cater to the carriers. Until recently I couldn't remember the last time I actually saw a commercial that RIM put together. They leave the marketing to the carriers because that's all they do... build for the carriers. Until last year when they opened their own stores (how's that going btw, haven't hear any breaking news on that hodgepodge), you never heard of BBs in mainstream commerical marketing unless you had a carrier plastering a wall. The point is, RIM has always made money from selling in mass to carriers and then selling their backend cashcow BES services to the consumers. Not until recently has RIM started to go consumer based... they need to change their marketing to reflect this as well.

Apple on the other hand has always been consumer rather then corporate. It's the same game today that they played years ago, that's why you hear much more about their stuff.

It's like Sony... when you ask people to think of the first thing that Sony makes, they usually mention Playstations, TV... not cellphones and computers. See my point.
    10-11-08 11:35 AM
    Here's what everyone is missing here.

RIM DOESN'T DO THEIR OWN ADVERTISING OF EACH AND EVERY PRODUCT THEY SELL.

They cater to the carriers. Until recently I couldn't remember the last time I actually saw a commercial that RIM put together. They leave the marketing to the carriers because that's all they do... build for the carriers. Until last year when they opened their own stores (how's that going btw, haven't hear any breaking news on that hodgepodge), you never heard of BBs in mainstream commerical marketing unless you had a carrier plastering a wall. The point is, RIM has always made money from selling in mass to carriers and then selling their backend cashcow BES services to the consumers. Not until recently has RIM started to go consumer based... they need to change their marketing to reflect this as well.

Apple on the other hand has always been consumer rather then corporate. It's the same game today that they played years ago, that's why you hear much more about their stuff.

It's like Sony... when you ask people to think of the first thing that Sony makes, they usually mention Playstations, TV... not cellphones and computers. See my point.
    Well I can disagree with you because during EVERY SINGLE MLB playoff game, the announcers repeat "brought to you by BlackBerry" (with a huge logo on the screen). They do this at least 3-4 times a GAME right before and after commercials, so obviously they are trying to build up some hype in order to get people talking.
    10-11-08 11:43 AM
    not to mention, they also market the **** out of things, but they also make one **** of a product that looks nice, and is easy to use, and offers a lot. Apple usually is ahead of the curve, thats why the iphone was such a big hit, because even though iphone wasn't the first touch screen, it was one of the first fully integrated cell phones that didn't run on the typical VERIZON OS or AT&T OS garbage
    10-11-08 11:43 AM
    Just because there wont be a lot of "hype" doesn't mean the Storm is "no iPhone." This article compares the two purely in the form of marketing. To be honest, i'm much more interested in the Storm being a superior device rather than a marketing hype. Anything can be marketed with enough money; doesn't mean it is "better." Remember the Chia Pet?
    Last edited by davemathbn; 10-11-08 at 11:48 AM.
    10-11-08 11:44 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD