Was in am Optus store with a friend (who was getting an iphone, to each his own) then an older guy came in asking for a new blackberry. The sales person directed him to the z10 to which he said "I was looking for a keyboard BlackBerry?" the sales assistant then did the typical "well this is the only BlackBerry we have atm, maybe you should try our Nokia E something (the one with a keyboard). Now after hearing this I'd had enough of the sales persons complete lack of essential knowledge regarding BlackBerry and mobile phones in general so i butted in am told him about the q10 arriving in Australia next month. I then proceeded to show him the hub and email features as that was what he was most concerned about. He said it looked amazing and would definitely wait for the q10. He asked the sales person when it was coming however the sales person didn't even know the q10 existed until I filled him in about it
    . The customer then left the store with his name on a waiting list reminder for the q10 (which the sales person had just created) and said he wouldn't come back and upgrade until he gets a call from.optus notifying him that the q10 is available.
    If anything I saved Optus a customer aswell as he may have gone to Telstra or Vodafone etc to find more information

But yeah. There's my story for today and I SUPPORT BLACKBERRY!

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by nickthebold; 06-01-13 at 10:13 AM.
    05-30-13 10:33 PM
    There's a lesson here for BlackBerry corporate. They need to step up the pressure on carriers and the training of their staff.

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    05-30-13 10:46 PM
    I just can't believe how little carrier sales people.know about BlackBerry let alone phones in general. I'm a generally tech savvy person and although I am a BlackBerry user I could tell you everything there is to know about androids and iphones. Aren't these people.trained before they begin working?

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    05-30-13 11:17 PM
    wait... so you went and interfered with a sale losing the guy a possible sales commision therefore lowering his wages and belittling him infront of a customer by contradicting what he said because they dont have the Q10 in stock and wont have it avaliable for a month?

was the guy supposed to materialise one from thin air? if they dont have one in stock and he already pointed the customer to the next best thing (z10) then offered an already avaliable alternative to consider, what more do you want him to do?
    05-30-13 11:22 PM
    Australia is a country which the telecom company is less quality services. The staffs in the shop, especially the O's shop, are **** heads and always giving the worse suggestions or worse choices to the client. And the strange thing is these kinds of staff are all over the shops. I really don't understand why this kind of company can exist and becoming so large.

On the other hands, Blackberry should give enough supports, training programs and promoting ideas and get feedback and keep good services to public.

Good Luck.
    05-30-13 11:36 PM
    There's a lesson here for BlackBerry corporate. They need to step up the pressure on carriers and the training of their staff.

Posted via CB10
    I am not sure this type of thing is really possible for BlackBerry to fix other than if BlackBerry starts selling a ton of phones. Then it fixes itself.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    aniym, kbz1960 and FastLane228 like this.
    05-31-13 12:35 AM
    This is an example of why BlackBerry is relying on the current user base to help spread the word about its products. The company simply does not have the resources, financially and in terms of personnel, to do the marketing and sales on its own. It is up to each of us individually to decide whether or not we want to involve ourselves in the process.

To the OP who said you cost an employee a commission, I would say that it sounds like it is more delayed than lost. And the employee is now better informed about the product line. Being better informed means providing better customer service which can lead to better sales and commissions. So let's hope this works out for all concerned.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 12:45 AM
    I am also from Sydney Aust.and can agree the service in any store here is to be desired.Will also be switching from my Iphone to either Z10 or Q10.Waiting to see the Q10 before decision time.
    05-31-13 12:48 AM
    whats the chance of that customer purchasing from the very same sales rep who the OP belittled and had the customer saying that the OP should be hired instead though? so yeah he did practically cost him a commision
    05-31-13 12:52 AM
    Yeah it's more important that the salesman gets his commission than the customer getting what he asked for (sarcasm). I find it hard to believe that the salesman knew nothing of the Q10 and the Z10 is in the store. Why not ask his manager for the info, if he truly didn't know? Then he could give the customer the information on the Q, then offer other phones if the customer didn't want to wait.

Posted via CB10
    web99, Mike1117, imcurved and 2 others like this.
    05-31-13 09:05 AM
    wait... so you went and interfered with a sale losing the guy a possible sales commision therefore lowering his wages and belittling him infront of a customer by contradicting what he said because they dont have the Q10 in stock and wont have it avaliable for a month?

was the guy supposed to materialise one from thin air? if they dont have one in stock and he already pointed the customer to the next best thing (z10) then offered an already avaliable alternative to consider, what more do you want him to do?
    So commission comes before the needs of the customer? Is that all they're for? He wanted a BlackBerry and if he went with what the salesman told him, he'd be stuck with a Nokia for however long the contracts are over there (up to three years in Canada) , just so the salesperson can make a couple bucks.

With that said, it seems he tried his best to help the customer, based on what he knew. The problem is awareness.

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    05-31-13 10:36 AM
    Does it ever.... Ever...
    Occur to you nuts that maybe "embarrassing" the sales guy "quote a lot" and "butting" in because you've "had enough", is neithe a nice thing To do, nor good for bb??

"had enough".... LISTEN TO YOURSELVES!!! You don't even work for bb corporation! Salesman spew nonsense all day long in all kinds of fields.... Yes it's annoying when I hear it, do I snap and jump in? No. Neither do you.... I doubt you would if you hear a person giving negative misinformation about apple... And this guy didn't even give misinformation!

If you had wanted to "help" - and this was clearly about you helping yourself, not bb, knowing you were embarrassing the sales guy could you not think of a better way to do it?! I certainly can! But of course you didn't want that, you wanted to "get" the sales guy and show off your own knowledge. Well mission accomplished. You MIGHT have gotten one sale for bb. You also - IF the sales guy is even a tiny bit as juvenile as you - created an embittered person who will resent bb and bb fans. And why wouldn't he? Nobody likes to be publicly embarrased "badly" at work, by a customer who butts in! If he is anything like you guys, he will now cost bb a lot more sales... So enjoy your gloating.

To take joy in embarrassing somebody on purpose who's just trying to do his job, because he doesn't know about a bb product that's still a month or more away. Geez! This place sucks sometimes!

All you freakin had to do was say - in a very pleasant and casual manner - oh hey, I couldn't help bit overhear, I've heard there is supposed to be a keyboard model coming in a few weeks. That's it. If they say "oh really?" you say "yeah you can read about on the web." then sympathetically "supposed to come soon, but it's not out yet, so I don't think many people have heard about it."

A casual tip, not overbearing, not suggesting you know it all, not suggesting the salesman should know... Then let them continue their own conversation. Don't approach don't show off your z10. That's PLENTY. You know, pretend you're actually a nice guy who isn't trying to show up the salesman.

Man, I'm taking the day off. You're all fired!! Fired I say!!!
    05-31-13 11:10 AM
    I hate these threads. It is as though someone is trying to act like some sort of superhero for BlackBerry. JC people it is just a phone, BlackBerry has put themselves in this position by waiting two bloody years for a new product. Word of mouth is great and the best form of advertising; HTC is banking on this form as well; but at the end of the day BlackBerry is still in a hole. I am agreeing with Richardat in that, you have no business butting into a salesperson's job. There is no commission to you, BlackBerry isn't paying you, nor is Thorstein going to invite you to the next party at his corporate suite, so why even bother?
    Acidwire, ErnestoBB and richardat like this.
    05-31-13 12:19 PM
    Yeah it's more important that the salesman gets his commission than the customer getting what he asked for (sarcasm). I find it hard to believe that the salesman knew nothing of the Q10 and the Z10 is in the store. Why not ask his manager for the info, if he truly didn't know? Then he could give the customer the information on the Q, then offer other phones if the customer didn't want to wait.

Posted via CB10
    of course thats not what im saying, typical how its twisted to make the customer some kind of brainless impressionable victim, the customer had already turned the z10 down whos to say they werent about to turn the nokia keyboard phone down too? the sales rep was most likely trying to find the customer a viable alternative INSTORE FIRST, for all we know he could have been planning to take the customer over to the front desk to look up future stock or ask the manager on the chance of ordering that phone in but we will never know because of people like the OP. Do you really think the rep is going to just give up with the sale if the customer isnt interested in the alternatives offered? no theyll go ask the manager, check stock etc

some phone companies only train the staff for phones that will be IN STOCK, if the Q10 comes to Australia that rep would be trained a week or 2 in advance. i guess people will make the arguement now that the rep should memorise every single phone brand models not in stock and possibly not even coming to his store just in case
    richardat likes this.
    05-31-13 12:36 PM
    So this sounds like the friend of the engaged couple who saw one of the pair cheating. Do you let them marry? The guy might be stuck with a phone he didn't ask for through the contract. Is it your business to stop that "marriage"? I had the exact same situation just last week in an AT&T store. In that case the counter-droid had already pushed him away from the Z10 by the time I happened across the conversation. My choice was easy, I minded my own business just as I would want others to do for me. I'm sorry for the guy who is stuck with and iPhone but, he didn't do his own homework. Of course it was obvious to me he was thinking with the little head as the counter-droid was cute, if stupid.

In that same store several weeks prior I struck up a conversation with a man who had not yet been given bad advice by a counter-droid. In that case, I showed him what the Z10 does and suggested he get the phone he feels best suits his need. He bought the Z10.
    05-31-13 12:40 PM
    OP saw an opportunity to inform a person of something they would seem interested in when the sales staff were not up to it. If he embarrassed the salesman, is that really his fault? Is the salesman going to be mad at all BB fans and therefore BB? If he had the brain of a 12 year old perhaps. I appreciate it when someone is knowledgeable of all their current and future products. Future products like a month away is perfectly reasonable. I will never expect all sales staff to be perfect though. Most are young people learning. This was a good opportunity for that sales person to learn something about customer service.
    FastLane228 likes this.
    05-31-13 01:01 PM
    He could have asked the sales person for a private word and reminded him about the impending release of the Q10. Then but out.
    richardat and bp3dots like this.
    05-31-13 01:08 PM
    Sweet way to go fellow Blackberrian.
    05-31-13 01:14 PM
    Did you even read my post? Who said he had to know about every phone that his company may sell. I said I find it hard to believe that he didn't know about the Q. I'm not saying it was impossible that he didn't know, just hard to believe. I also put forth a suggested pattern that I would expect if I were the customer. Give me all the information about what I asked for then offer alternatives. Then give me your contact information if I choose to wait and maybe, just maybe, when the product is available I'll give you the sale. I may even call to make sure you working on the day I'm ready to purchase. Hell I might even buy something else just to give you a bump in your check for being helpful.

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 and ekv like this.
    05-31-13 01:16 PM
    He could have asked the sales person for a private word and reminded him about the impending release of the Q10. Then but out.
    Sounds like something I would have done. But OP probably just saw an opportunity to talk Blackberry and took it. I don't blame him for that.
    05-31-13 01:17 PM
    Has there even been a concrete release date for the Q10 on Optus? A Google search turns up an Optus forum thread where someone asks for the release date and an Optus employee replies "No word at this stage", and that was 2 days ago.

https://community.optus.com.au/t5/Mo...one/td-p/42356

All I see in this thread is an all-too-familiar CB/BB zealot costing a minimum wage employee a sale. All that's missing from your story is a montage of you drop-kicking the sales assistant in slow motion while "Blackberry Will Keep Loving You" plays in the background.
    richardat and kevinnugent like this.
    05-31-13 01:26 PM
    Did you even read my post? Who said he had to know about every phone that his company may sell. I said I find it hard to believe that he didn't know about the Q. I'm not saying it was impossible that he didn't know, just hard to believe. I also put forth a suggested pattern that I would expect if I were the customer. Give me all the information about what I asked for then offer alternatives. Then give me your contact information if I choose to wait and maybe, just maybe, when the product is available I'll give you the sale. I may even call to make sure you working on the day I'm ready to purchase. Hell I might even buy something else just to give you a bump in your check for being helpful.

Posted via CB10
    yes i did, it was a reply for both you and masahiro as i dont know how to double quote and your posts were alone very similar lines. I didnt say YOU implyed he must know everything there is to know about phones, im saying that will probably be a future argument in favour of the OP from other people who support this thread.

the thing is thats YOUR ideal scenario of what YOU would do if YOU were a salesman. its a waste of time if you listen to a customer, offer them the only blackberry in store then go over to the desk to look up an item that isnt even avaliable and possibly wont come to their store to go back out onto the floor and search for an alternative. it SAVES time saying heres our only blackberry, here are our other keyboard phones and then taking them to the desk if they arent interested instead of dragging them back and forth.
    i really doubt every customer is going to personally call that exact rep and buy extra accesories just to bump the reps commision because they did things in a certain order.

honestly how is it so hard to believe he doesnt know about a phone not in stock, wont be avaliable in Australia for a month and mightnt even come to his store?
    05-31-13 01:27 PM
    Horrible. As many people who need jobs, THIS is what they hire?

Unacceptable.
    05-31-13 01:35 PM
    ''I can your hero baby'' I see your action guy good on you mate.
    05-31-13 01:42 PM
    If the salesman showed the customer something else that fit his needs, and the customer purchased it, then there is no injustice. Salesguy happy, customer happy.

If the other product didn't meet the customer's needs, then he wouldn't have purchased it, and would still likely come back later to find something else. Again, Customer happy, salesguy happy.

There is no need to assume that only BB could have been a good phone for the customer. Let the guy do his job. I'm sure we wouldn't like randoms butting into our jobs because they think they know what's best.
    richardat, aniym and ErnestoBB like this.
    05-31-13 01:47 PM
59 123