Hello everyone,

I just got my Z10 from Rogers and have had it for 3 days. Came from an iPhone 4 and previously the Galaxy S2. Wasn't crazy about the phone the first day but now really like it.

Whenever I speak with people, they say that I sound muffled. I have played with the call audio settings and tried bass boost, default, treble boost and it doesn't make too much of a difference. I still sound muffled or just not as clear as it should be.

Is this a phone or SIM card issue? Based on what I read the call quality should be really good so what is going on?

Thanks!
    05-30-13 03:27 PM
    You're probably holding it wrong.

Just kidding.

Posted via CB10
    Dzyen likes this.
    05-30-13 03:42 PM
    But I thought the BlackBerry symbol was supposed to be touching my ear when speaking no?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 05:59 PM
    Maybe try holding the phone right then

Jk Jk. Try talking directly into the mic?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:05 PM
    Hello everyone,

I just got my Z10 from Rogers and have had it for 3 days. Came from an iPhone 4 and previously the Galaxy S2. Wasn't crazy about the phone the first day but now really like it.

Whenever I speak with people, they say that I sound muffled. I have played with the call audio settings and tried bass boost, default, treble boost and it doesn't make too much of a difference. I still sound muffled or just not as clear as it should be.

Is this a phone or SIM card issue? Based on what I read the call quality should be really good so what is going on?

Thanks!
    You could try changing the SIM.. no idea if it'll make a difference but with that being said, what devices are they using? Maybe the issue isn't really on your end. Maybe it's on theirs, lol. I know that sounds extreme but it was the case with my Mom and her crappy Nokia phone. Called her back on my step dads Z10 and all was good.
    05-30-13 06:14 PM
    Rogers here no issues here, on official 10.1 OS, even on stock OS no issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:17 PM
    Try a bluetooth headset and see if they say it sounds better. You can also call voice mail and leave yourself a recording. You may find it was only a temporary issue cause by poor signal quality, or their phone signal quality.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.2354)
    05-30-13 06:20 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Spoke to someone on a cordless phone, a hard wired land line, iPhone and another on some cell phone but not sure which. All had the same comment. I still have my unlocked iphone4. If that sounds ok with my sim card than that would mean the sim is not the issue right?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:23 PM
    Probably not use to HQ, I had to get use to it myself now I don't notice it

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 06:29 PM
    I'd be curious as to what devices the recipient is using. Can you list them?

Edit. Were the recipients all on a particular network or in a similar place? I'm just trying to think of what they coils have in common

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 07:04 PM
    Really because I've had people say just the opposite and ask what phone im using.

z10 to iphone 5, both on lte, is crystal clear. Probably the best i've ever heard over a any phone network ( wired or wireless)
    Noone else I know has a BB10 device to see what that call quality sounds like ;(
    Last edited by Gotwake424; 05-30-13 at 07:39 PM.
    05-30-13 07:24 PM
    I did a sound test with my Z10 in the car with pretty loud music not super loud but loud enough to hear the beat outside with windows closed. People said they can barely hear the background noise. My gf has a Z10 as well I see the HD call symbol when I talk to her. Maybe it's the network.

Toronto Maple Leafs Fan BBM Channel C0001D318
    05-30-13 07:24 PM
    Not sure what is going on. I spoke to people on Fido, Telus, land lines and all said it sounds muffled. It's not that they can't hear me but they say it's not as clear as it should be and same comment about muffled. Maybe it's the handset...I hope so cause I am now loving this phone and don't want to give it up. They usually sound clear to me.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 07:37 PM
    Out of curiosity, what audio setting are most of you using? Bass boost, default or treble?

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 07:42 PM
    Out of curiosity, what audio setting are most of you using? Bass boost, default or treble?

Posted via CB10
    Mine are all set for treble boost.
    05-30-13 07:45 PM
    You arent blocking the small hole on the top of your phone with your finger when you talk are you? Ive heard others say that will reduce the quality, Ive been meaning to test it but havent got around to it. Maybe lint in th mic?

Ive had my wife tell me that the quality gets poor if I let the phone slide down my face any, seems to be able to hear me better if I hold the BB logo level with my mouth.
    05-30-13 07:53 PM
    You arent blocking the small hole on the top of your phone with your finger when you talk are you? Ive heard others say that will reduce the quality, Ive been meaning to test it but havent got around to it. Maybe lint in th mic?

Ive had my wife tell me that the quality gets poor if I let the phone slide down my face any, seems to be able to hear me better if I hold the BB logo level with my mouth.
    Also make sure the case isn't interfering with the speaker.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.2354)
    05-30-13 08:16 PM
    Download parrot it's a free voice recording app, use that to test your microphone

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 08:30 PM
    I had the opposite experience. A couple people actually asked if I had gotten a new phone since the call quality was so noticeably better.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 08:31 PM
    Dame issue. Everyone says they can barely hear me. Am I holding the phone wrong? I keep the Z slanted towards my mouth.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 08:40 PM
    *same

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 08:41 PM
    I have the same issue.
    Z10 rogers.
    I had issues while roaming in Asia as well as Canada.
    Calls from USA, Canada, mobile, landlines
    This happens just periodically.
    When I use speakerphone or the earphones, no issue. It only appeared to happen when on the handset. At first I thought it was me not speaking to the microphone, however I think I ruled out since I was very cognizant of my hand placement.

It appears that it's just a small group of us that has this issue.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-13 09:54 PM
    Rogers is going to send me a new phone which I will get next week and report back. Thanks everyone.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-13 10:45 AM
    I'm also on Rogers and find the z10 has the best call quality of any phone I have ever used. I came from an iPhone 5 and switched mainly because of dropped calls on the iPhone.
    05-31-13 02:04 PM
    Dame issue. Everyone says they can barely hear me. Am I holding the phone wrong? I keep the Z slanted towards my mouth.
    Not to revive an old thread, but I've been getting the same kind of feedback from the people I've been calling also. Just earlier today, the person on the other end was having a hard time trying to hear me and said that my voice was all "muffled"...

I am using the Z10 (100-3) on T-Mobile US with the 10.2 Rogers update via Sachesi, and I don't have a case on it either.

If anyone was able to figure out what's been going on, or how to improve call quality, I would appreciate it. Thanks
    12-30-13 05:17 PM
27 12