My Z10 had taken a swim in a pint of water. o.O

After 12 hours switched off and left it now works. However there is slight water damage to the screen. Nothing major and something that I will eventually get used to, looks cool actually.

I am surprised at how resilient the phone has been. If this had happened to any other device I am sure it would have died.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:01 PM
    Take a picture of the screen. Curious to how it looks now.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:03 PM
    i would probably cry a little....
    critanime, b_hansen and creowano like this.
    05-27-13 11:07 PM
    Take a picture of the screen. Curious to how it looks now.

Posted via CB10
    Will do when it is dark in the light you can't tell it's there.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:10 PM
    My Z10 had taken a swim in a pint of water. o.O

I am surprised at how resilient the phone has been. If this had happened to any other device I am sure it would have died.

Posted via CB10
    Your right had it been an iphone it most definitely would have stopped working
    05-27-13 11:14 PM
    I hope you dumped it in a bucket of rice right after.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-27-13 11:21 PM
    I hope you dumped it in a bucket of rice right after.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    I was wondering the same... Glad to hear OP's device is still functional!
    05-27-13 11:53 PM
    1. Take out battery
    2. Wash with distilled water
    3. Bury in rice, close with lid.

Posted via CB10
    lynkedmagic likes this.
    05-28-13 12:04 AM
    It happened at work so didn't have access to rice. I just ripped the back off, yanked the battery and sat it in a towel after drying what I could. Gonna bury it in rice when I get home because there is still moisture in the rear camera. Also the screen appears to be getting better. So hopefully the rice trick will work to get the remaining moisture out of it.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 12:47 AM
    Wtfzis yall talking rice as in tastic? Anyway mine got some water drips, it switched off, I removed battery n put it in the sun rays, 2 hours later it switched on like nothing happend

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 01:47 AM
    Putting it in the sun with the screen facing down works wonders too

Take off the battery and take it out of the sun once the phone is warm

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 04:57 AM
    Rice has done the trick.... mostly

Still a tiny bit of water damage on the screen. Nothing major. Camera is fog free. Lucky escape I think lol. Gonna stick it in rice again over night just to see if I can clear that bit.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 09:28 AM
    The trick is to seal it in a zip lock with rice so the rice only absorbs the moisture in the phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 10:08 AM
    I did and wow it's worked. Another half an hour and all signs of moisture on the screen gone. One thing I did have to do was reinstall the firmware as it had severely bugged. Major lag, messages wouldn't compose, it completely spazzed out when it received a text message. If this happens to anyone the redo the firmware after. Now it's back to normal and the only lasting scar is from the red water indicators.
    lynkedmagic likes this.
    05-28-13 11:01 AM
    Just a update. Since the incident my Z10 is still working like it did out of the box. If it wasnt for the water indicators on the phone and battery you wouldn't think it had been for a swim.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-13 03:24 PM
    My father has stl3 on att and claims his water damage came from talking on the phone in the rain. It was irreparable and I had to shell out $200 for the insurance deductible.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 12:33 AM
    My father has stl3 on att and claims his water damage came from talking on the phone in the rain. It was irreparable and I had to shell out $200 for the insurance deductible.

Posted via CB10
    How do they prove how it was damaged?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 12:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    The insurance replaced it due to water damage for any reason. I am still unsure how it really happened though as I wasn't there.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 12:55 AM
    Just a update. Since the incident my Z10 is still working like it did out of the box. If it wasnt for the water indicators on the phone and battery you wouldn't think it had been for a swim.

Posted via CB10
    Water indicators?

Posted via Z10
    07-08-13 03:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Water indicators?

Posted via Z10
    The water indicators are the while small strips you can notice when take the battery out. Upon contact with water / moisture they change their color.
    07-08-13 06:50 AM
    My lady sent hers swimming as well. Did the rice trick. Her screen had some interesting patterns which eventually cleared up. Everything works except the bottom microphone. I ordered a replacement mic and will put it in soon.

In the meantime she is using a BlackBerry Bluetooth ear phone and really likes it. She can press the button on the BT for a second then compose and send texts without touching the phone. She could always do that with voice command but had to dig the phone out of her purse to press the voice control button.
    07-08-13 07:33 AM
    The water indicators are the while small strips you can notice when take the battery out. Upon contact with water / moisture they change their color.
    That's both interesting and nifty! Thanks for the explanation.

Posted via Z10
    07-08-13 05:31 PM
    That's both interesting and nifty! Thanks for the explanation.

Posted via Z10
    There's one on the phone and one on the battery. Some manufacturers put one inside the headphone jack too. Any moisture will cause the white to turn bright pink.

I've heard you can revert it to white with a bit of bleach, but they can usually tell that's been done too.

Problem is, something as simple as having the phone in the room while you're showering (if you take really hot showers) or using it out in the rain could cause the dot to change colour. Newer phones are much better about this, but the one in the headphone jack is really easy to change.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    07-08-13 09:21 PM
    There are several inside if you take it apart on the back of the lcd and near warrant screw stickers.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 09:30 PM
    Ya that's why it's a blackberry, my friend put his bold in the hot tub for fun and never received any damages

Posted via CB10
    07-08-13 11:22 PM
29 12