Challenging ATT-related issue that I'm hoping the forum might be able to help me with. Here's the backstory:

I have an ATT unlimited international and domestic data only plan (BB_INTL_+_DOM_CV), which I signed in January 2010. The plan does not have a voice component and is actually a plan, not just a data feature as a component of plan. It's a $70/month plan on which I receive a 14% discount given a company discount code. However, it�s a plan that I have under my name and it�s not tied to the company per se.

Recently, I decided to try to upgrade. While I could have upgraded over a year ago, no devices really interested me. I'm trying to upgrade to an S4 or a Q10, basically anything other than the BB9700 that I have now since it's creaking along.

I did a bunch of research on the forum and other sites and found that most people have had success getting grandfathered features onto new plans. However, I have spoken with no less than 4 ATT CS people (including several supervisors) and my upgrade request went to some special CS unit that is meant to resolve particularly tricky account issues.

They have told me that I am unable to upgrade unless I add on a voice feature to my account. They have said that I can keep the unlimited intl and dom data as a feature, but without the voice component added an upgrade is not possible. This would add $40+ per month to my bill and the only reason I have the account is for data given how much I travel.

I am in the process of escalating this issue through the chain, but it seems to be a case of "sorry sir, computer says not possible." I�m hoping that my persistence will pay off and I�ll find the right CS person who can think creatively with me, but as of now I haven�t made progress. I have asked whether they can add voice as a feature and then credit me the $40/month, but it's unclear to me whether they'll budge.

Has anyone out there with a similar account faced this problem and resolved it successfully? If so, any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!
    05-27-13 12:08 PM
    I'm on the same account and I got the same response from AT&T.

Basically what they explained is there is no standalone plan (only data no voice) for the other devices. The other plans all need to be attached to a voice plan. So even if they wanted to there is no plan they can add that works as a standalone.

However you do not need to change your plan to switch phones. The BB international plan works just fine on an S4 or a Q10. Have tried both. Although I am not sure if you will get LTE speeds or not.

If you do want to upgrade it would seem you will have to add a voice plan as well.

If you do resolve this situation differently please share you results.
    05-28-13 08:22 AM
    Thanks a lot for the response. Glad to know I'm not the only out there fighting ATT on this.

So you basically just use unlocked devices and they work fine? Using the different devices doesn't impact the plan (i.e. ATT doesn't auto-detect the IMEI and then adjust the plan in some way)?

I'm continuing to talk to ATT so will keep you posted on anything I learn.
    05-29-13 07:27 AM
    So you basically just use unlocked devices and they work fine? Using the different devices doesn't impact the plan (i.e. ATT doesn't auto-detect the IMEI and then adjust the plan in some way)?
    Yup exactly. Nope ATT have never touched my plan, or indicated they would. In fact I have another line on my account with the same plan that has been using a Nokia phone since day one (never used it in a blackberry) for the past four odd years!
    MTL likes this.
    05-29-13 08:20 AM
    Unfortunately, no resolution yet with ATT.

I did, however, pick up an unlocked Q10 to see if I can get it to work. The phone dials, but I can't get data to work. It looks like the device is being forced onto 4G, which is staying in 4g mode. Did you have to do anything special when getting the Q10 to work with your sim? Thanks!
    06-01-13 05:59 AM
    Yes, you need to access the engineering screen, and change the APN settings for it to work!
    06-01-13 06:03 AM
    Thanks! Will I run into similar issues with the S4 or is Samsung more user-friendly, i.e. doesn't hide network mode selection options?
    06-01-13 09:48 AM
    No most other phones will work just fine as soon as you put the sim card in them.
    Scaevola likes this.
    06-01-13 10:53 AM
    Reading this post I have notice that we can carry the Unlimited International Data to the new BB10 devices, is this true?
    This means I just need to continue paying the flat fee and I won't be charged extra for roaming international?
    Scaevola likes this.
    06-05-13 03:53 PM
    Reading this post I have notice that we can carry the Unlimited International Data to the new BB10 devices, is this true?
    This means I just need to continue paying the flat fee and I won't be charged extra for roaming international?
    Yup and yup
    MTL likes this.
    06-05-13 04:41 PM
    I honestly cannot say I have the answer to your question in regards to international unlimited. Truthfully I have had unlimited plan for longer then that so in reality I should have international plan as well. However, I do have domestic for a fact. I have had battles wuth AT&T though out my times wuth them. I left ATT back in the late 90's when Sony Ericson phones were around. I went to Cingular and was strong armed back to ATT when they bought out Cingular. So back to tour question. It's been my experience that many times you will have to speak to many CS reps before speaking to one like you said is knowledgeable and understand your concerns. I have also come across many that just tell tou what they think is right or they think you may believe if you are not knowledgeable. I would suggest make sure you have all tour Ducks in order when you have a concern do your research write down names of CS reps you speak with and Managers and date and times I know frustrating and tiresome but remember if you have experienced what I have you can speak to 5 different CS reps and Management Official's and get 5 different answers on same topic. Therefore if you have names dates and time of people and hoops and huddles you have gone through they really cannot give you the okie doke when you demand what's righyltfully owed to you. Hope this helps a bit. Good Luck!

Posted via CB10
    Scaevola likes this.
    06-08-13 09:48 PM
    Sorry meant WITH this Z10 can change words around

Posted via CB10
    Scaevola likes this.
    06-08-13 09:53 PM
    Brief update from my side. Unfortunately, nothing useful from continued chats with ATT. At this point, I'm going to park the issue and just get a new unlocked device to use on my account. Sorry not to have more useful news.
    07-02-13 02:32 AM
    Brief update from my side. Unfortunately, nothing useful from continued chats with ATT. At this point, I'm going to park the issue and just get a new unlocked device to use on my account. Sorry not to have more useful news.
    I had the same exact same problem... Can you post what your billing wireless services are? It took 3 Days and 3 different techs. I still have no idea what the last guy did, the only good one. The other two messed up my accounts. I stuck to the online chat. My sim/plan was provisioned for lte. Your plan needs to have the personal blackberry account unlimited with lte. I originally had my bis plan as not a bis plan. You did happen to buy chance do a combo where you got bis&500 txt as a single item? I have heard those plans have mores difficulties. I have the base 450 or 400 and 1500 texts for $15, but there were ways to combine them. I can show you a screen grab of our conversation. One of the earlier techs expired my unlimited data plan and had the gall to tell me the towers weren't lte here..... I went to Philly for work and started a raucous about the provisioning. That was the first thing I said. One disadvantage with going to lte. I think it kills your battery much faster. And there is no way to downgrades to edge/4g/3G on my q10. Unlike on the 9900. Definitely something I miss. I carry the second charger/battery at all times
    07-03-13 04:47 PM
    Buy out right and get magic jack pay 30$ per year for service convert to bar and u have phone service

Posted via CB10 on the Z10 on the rip off network of at&t
    08-01-13 09:18 AM
    Hi i'm looking for the plan what you have would you be able to sale it for me? i just need date
    08-19-13 06:34 PM
    Hi i'm looking for the plan what you have would you be able to sale it for me? i just need date
    Lol I doubt anyone with that plan will want to get rid of it of sell it. Plus u need to take control of the account to get the feature u can't transfer it transfer it to a different number

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 07:51 PM
    its not true that i will have to have control of his account because he can transfer the number in to my name its called transfer of responsibility you can say he might like his plan so he will not want to do it.
    09-04-13 01:16 AM
    By account I meant #. So if it's 1# on the account technically it's the account u taking over not the # and the old account # will b deleted and a new one will generate

Posted via CB10
    09-04-13 08:44 AM