Hello friends,

Loving the Q10 still. No real problems with it except sometimes when I shut it down at night when I go to get it in the morning the device would have magically turned on by itself. Only happened 3 times though. Cutting and pasting is a pain in the *** also but it's a small price to pay.
    Anyways, My question is LTE vs 4G. I'm obsessed with battery life and thus have turned off LTE (and WiFi when not needed). Is having LTE off saving me a lot more battery as I think it might be? Also, is LTE that much better for speed and phone call reception that even if it is draining my battery, the positives outweigh the negatives? Curious as to your thoughts if I should be on LTE or just 4G.
    Cheers,
    Yorke

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 03:53 PM
    I have exact data to prove I turned off my LTE because I was poor signal in my workplace and the phone seemed to always be searching and would default to H for most of the day any ways. I can say it really did seem to give me a few more hours
    05-25-13 04:01 PM
    Hello friends,

Loving the Q10 still. No real problems with it except sometimes when I shut it down at night when I go to get it in the morning the device would have magically turned on by itself. Only happened 3 times though. Cutting and pasting is a pain in the *** also but it's a small price to pay.
    Anyways, My question is LTE vs 4G. I'm obsessed with battery life and thus have turned off LTE (and WiFi when not needed). Is having LTE off saving me a lot more battery as I think it might be? Also, is LTE that much better for speed and phone call reception that even if it is draining my battery, the positives outweigh the negatives? Curious as to your thoughts if I should be on LTE or just 4G.
    Cheers,
    Yorke

Posted via CB10
    LTE is overkill really unless you're downloading a large file or streaming. I shut mine off when not in use and yes, it will have an impact on battery life. Especially if you're in a low LTE coverage area.
    STV0726 likes this.
    05-25-13 04:05 PM
    I never turn off LTE and it lasts me a full day and more.. absolutely loving the battery life! No need to worry about switching which network mode need to be on

Posted via CB10
    Iggy City likes this.
    05-25-13 04:06 PM
    Thanks guys. Does LTE improve phonecall reception and less annoying dropped calls and "hello? Hello? You there? One sec, hello? Can you hear me?" etc etc...or is just purely for Internet and downloads?

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 04:12 PM
    I think the battery life depends on how frequent your phone needs to search for a better signal.. I've noticed that if I am sitting in one place with full LTE coverage, I can work on the Q10 for a whole day, and still have about half charge left at the end of the day.. But when I'm sitting in an area with poor coverage where it keeps on jumping between LTE and H+, the battery drains itself in a like 4 or 5 hours...
    05-26-13 12:11 AM
    [QUOTE=Bla1ze;8544458Especially if you're in a low LTE coverage area.[/QUOTE]

Imagine having a just barely strong enough LTE signal so it keeps handing off to another non-LTE tower over and over, stuck in a battery-butchering loop.

Solution? A simple setting change...unless your service provider is AT&T or Verizon. Seriously...why do they restrict those settings? I can't stand them.

~STV
    05-26-13 12:20 AM
    I thought 4G and LTE where the same thing what is the difference. If there is a difference on my q10 I only get an option for 4g no LTE. Could someone explain please.
    05-26-13 01:07 AM
    They are the same thing

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    05-26-13 01:16 AM
    They are the same thing

Thanks
    05-26-13 01:21 AM
    They are the same thing

While technically correct, in this case you are not.

If you see "4G" without any qualifiers (like 4G LTE) beside it, you are actually running on HSPA+, not LTE.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    05-26-13 03:08 AM
    I'm currently on AT&T and by default I can only be on LTE and I notice that when it falls to 4G it becomes ridiculously slow. I'm not sure if it's because there's so many iPhones and Androids on 4G and LTE has just rolled out here in good ol' Tucson Arizona. But i have noticed that it makes a huge difference in my data speeds here where i live.
    05-26-13 03:17 AM
    4G in the States is really 3.5G to the rest of the world. But LTE is LTE everywhere regardless.

Basically the yanks felt that they would just start advertising 3.5G phones as 4G because it sounds better and it's not an official name of technology. It just means 4th generation. But when you do get technical the so called 4G in the states is very similar technology as 3G but it's just faster. The rest of the world refers to it as 3.5G. In the true sense of a new generation of technology there's LTE. LTE technology is truely the 4th generation.

To reduce confusion and continue their marketing scheme the phones sold by the carriers in the states are even programmed to show "4G" connection on the phones when they pick up a 3.5G connection signal.

So there's really just 3rd generation(3G), an improved 3rd generation(labled as 4G in the states but 3.5G everywhere else), and 4th generation(LTE, but disappointingly confusing labled as 4G on most phones)
    Last edited by SpencerNSO; 05-26-13 at 04:27 AM.
    05-26-13 04:03 AM
    To get even more specific, LTE isn't "technically" 4G either, that's where LTE Advanced comes in. To provide true "4G", you need at least 1Gbit transfer speeds.. something thats not possible at the minute.

No carrier globally supports VoLTE for 4G voice. Verizon I believe will be the first to implement it in the coming year. The reason it takes a while to make calls when connected to LTE is because it has to do something called circuit switched fall back... essentially make your call on GSM/3G, then your phone will idle for a few minutes before returning to LTE.
    05-26-13 04:36 AM
    To get even more specific, LTE isn't "technically" 4G either, that's where LTE Advanced comes in. To provide true "4G", you need at least 1Gbit transfer speeds.. something thats not possible at the minute.

No carrier globally supports VoLTE for 4G voice. Verizon I believe will be the first to implement it in the coming year. The reason it takes a while to make calls when connected to LTE is because it has to do something called circuit switched fall back... essentially make your call on GSM/3G, then your phone will idle for a few minutes before returning to LTE.

For Verizon to support VoLTE, they would have to totally revamp there now LTE network. The equipment they use now would all have to be replaced because it doesn't support it. I think VZW's people spoke to soon when saying what they did. The only Carrier with TDD-LTE is Sprint/Clearwire. Which also has roaming agreements with the Asia/Pac carriers who support it.
    BerryManUK85 likes this.
    05-26-13 07:29 AM
    You are able to turn off LTE on Verizon Z10.

http://crackberry.com/how-access-eng...-blackberry-10

General Radio>Enabled Rats
    05-30-13 11:07 AM
    I have the Q10 for 2 days now. When I bought it at launch I was surprised how fast the battery was dropping. I am on Tmobile and changed from LTE 4G 3G 2G to just 4G 3G 2G. I live in South Carolina and travel far distances for many things, so LTE drops frequently. 4G signal is available almost everywhere. I also have the 500mb high speed basic Internet and don't download a lot so I don't care for lte so much right now. Battery life is most important for me.
    06-07-13 10:28 PM