So BlackBerry 10 is set to get an updated 4.2.2 Jelly Bean Android Runtime next month. Remarkably that will mean BLACKBERRY will be running the latest version of Android before over nearly 70% of the market. In the BBM Channel group I said 80% but the metrics are really a lot different. Android is so fragmented. 26% of Android is spread across Jelly Bean 4.1.x but under 3% have distributed Jelly Bean 4.2.x [as of May 1st]. What this means is that BlackBerry is working on something very impressive. To be one of the first OEMS not only to support the latest JB but have it as a runtime within another operating system.

Blah blah blah so why is this impressive? It shows BlackBerry is innovating in the software domain. A marked enhancement in tooling�allowing Android emulation, be it built in house, by an outside entity or by close partnership with Google, is happening in a big way as has been happening since the BlackBerry tablet the PlayBook. Making a jump from Gingerbread the 2.3.3 to 4.2.2 on the BB10 platform. And rumors of an outside company porting over the entire Android catalog into BlackBerry World, not only will destroy market perception but has the very real ability to decimate the app gap between BlackBerry and competing platforms. Tooling. Multiple SoftwareDevelopmentKits running seamlessly on a RealTimeOS not a GeneralPurposeOS. 4 SDKS vs the competitions 1.

Android running on Linux has around 13 million lines of code. BlackBerry�s QNX based BlackBerry 10 *which can run Android in emulation* has around 100,000 lines of code. Built on a true, nonbastardized microkernel architecture.
    Full article here:

BerryFlow | Silent Partners
    cjcampbell likes this.
    05-24-13 02:27 PM
    Android has taken over.

Best of the best.
    Admorris likes this.
    05-24-13 02:39 PM
    Sorry but that last line made me cringe. Android runs on a Linux kernel/Linux-based OS, not Linux. Android runs on Android OS. BerryFlow should get it together.

On topic:
    Having 4.2.2 isn't something fascinating as Key Lime is just around the corner. If it took BB to update from Froyo to JB, how long will it take for them to update to Key Lime?
    kevinnugent and ddlax22 like this.
    05-24-13 02:41 PM
    I see a huge problem with a "third-party" porting over the entire Android app catalog. Definitely going to need dev permission before they try anything as ambitious as that. Plus, I REALLY hope they actually screen what they port over (if it's actually going to happen) so that we get useful Android apps.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-24-13 02:48 PM
    Multiple SoftwareDevelopmentKits running seamlessly on a RealTimeOS not a GeneralPurposeOS.
    At some point, repeating these age old QNX buzzwords just gets pathetic, especially in an article that's claiming BB10's support of another OS' runtime is some sort of victory. Because the existing stable of ported Android apps has really been a gamechanger, hasn't it?
    05-24-13 02:52 PM
    Sorry but that last line made me cringe. Android runs on a Linux kernel/Linux-based OS, not Linux. Android runs on Android OS. BerryFlow should get it together.

On topic:
    Having 4.2.2 isn't something fascinating as Key Lime is just around the corner. If it took BB to update from Froyo to JB, how long will it take for them to update to Key Lime?
    Keylime apparently isn't going to be released soon, only Android 4.3, and apparently, Google cancelled announcing that (last minute) due to it not being ready yet.
    This is all rumor/speculation though...
    05-24-13 03:31 PM
    Jelly Bean will not be running on blackberry in one month, it will be in the sdk beta in one month

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 04:03 PM

On topic:
    About as long as it takes Google to get their latest on new in-market devices lol. 'Jelly Bean' isn't even on the majority of Android devices and it was released almost a year ago. I dunno what's worse, Verizons update schedule for the Z10 or the slow pace in which Android gets updated. In order to have the latest OS, you always need to be buying the latest device. And of course, if you're buying anything but a Nexus -- Good luck!

This is pretty much the sole reason I gave up on buying Android devices, by the time you get the latest OS on your device, Google is already rolling out a new version that you know OEMS won't update to for mooooonths. Yes, you can root and ROM to get ahead of the game but then you end up 'fixing' your device more than you actually end up using it. Pretty sure my SGS3 spent more time rebooting than in actual use.
    05-24-13 04:10 PM
    This would be great news if BB10 devices could access Google Play and download apps from there or be able to just download Android apps without them being converted or whatnot.

But unfortunately that's not the case.
    pantlesspenguin and john_v like this.
    05-24-13 04:11 PM
    I need jelly bean support on my z10...

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 05:18 PM
    Does porting apps decrease BBRY security and reduce integrity? Just wondering....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-24-13 06:08 PM
    Android has taken over.

Best of the best.
    So can you run BB10 on your duhroid?

Posted via CB10
    thatplaybookguy and bungaboy like this.
    05-24-13 06:12 PM

On topic:
    What should BlackBerry do? Wait another 3-6 months till Key Lime is out?
    I suspect Android runtime updates will happen a lot faster now that BlackBerry 10 is officially out. Not to mention Jelly Bean to Key Lime transition should be a lot quicker.

And doesn't BlackBerry run the Gingerbread runtime (not Froyo)?
    05-24-13 07:23 PM
    So can you run BB10 on your duhroid?

Posted via CB10
    I don't want it on my Android powered device.

However, it seems evident many BB10 users want Android.

Statement explained

& to the guy saying Android is slow to update. That's false. The carriers are slow to update. Almost every android user has access to the latest version of android. All they have to do is flash the rom.
    JeepBB likes this.
    05-24-13 08:02 PM
    I feel that there should be an approach like this:

BlackBerry could still have the porting system they have for Gingerbread. Then they could also have a separate app store, or 'BlackBerry World option' and have a separate store where BlackBerry has scanned and tested apps and deemed them suitable for download on BlackBerry. I know this would probably be costly, but, you gotta do what you gotta do. The apps that Google makes (mostly Google Now... I want I want I want) will never be ported.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 08:54 PM
    BlackBerry will probably running the latest version of Android before my GS3, what was Samsung's flagship phone until recently.

I'm still on 4.1.1...
    05-24-13 09:01 PM
    I see a huge problem with a "third-party" porting over the entire Android app catalog. Definitely going to need dev permission before they try anything as ambitious as that. Plus, I REALLY hope they actually screen what they port over (if it's actually going to happen) so that we get useful Android apps.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    One way around this is if BlackBerry partners with Google and cuts a deal. Since Google controls the Play Store, the terms and conditions can be changed at any time which will allow Google to sell the apps to users of "virtualized Android runtime", AKA, BlackBerry 10 devices.

It really would be a win win since BlackBerry gets more apps, and Google gets more more from selling apps or selling ad space.

Google on the other hand might see this as hostile since someone buying a BB10 means they wouldn't buy an Android, which is lost revenue to them in the form of lost data collection/analytics they collect from users who use Android.

I am pretty sure the whole Play store isn't going to end up on BB10 any time soon, but who knows, anything is possible. Especially since BlackBerry really seems to be taking the push to get the most up to date Android runtime onto BlackBerry 10.
    05-24-13 09:44 PM
    I see a huge problem with a "third-party" porting over the entire Android app catalog. Definitely going to need dev permission before they try anything as ambitious as that.
    I object to calling Android apps ports.

Android apps run on the dalvik VM. BlackBerry implements this VM on BB10. The Android apps on BB10 are just as native as those implemented in webworks or cascades - slightly different look and feel but native nonetheless.

As far as dev permission needed I doubt that ... I suspect Google permission would be needed, not much else, but could be wrong. I'm quite sure Google has agreement to push apps to any device they want, BlackBerry, Droids, Windows or anything that comes along.

I'd prefer apps implemented with BB10 look and feel but have nothing against android apps filling the gap. There are many really good android apps that I enjoy on the Z.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 10:24 PM
    Does porting apps decrease BBRY security and reduce integrity? Just wondering....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I'd imagine that android apps will be sandboxes in bb10. That means that apps will run in their own memory space among other things.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 10:24 PM
    And yet... when the first iteration of a QNX based BBOS was released, this very same statement was made (especially on CB)... only to result in no real effective impact. A few months later, it was a moot and obsolete claim. History will repeat itself. Especially given that Android has now changed to a different OS upgrade model, where base OS upgrades now come from Google itself instead of waiting for carrier releases/approval. (Please note that I said "base OS upgrades", this does not include manufacturer specific upgrades for Sense/TouchWiz etc..)

The downside of recent indicators to the speed of development for BB10's Android runtime, is that changes to the Android OS can potentially break ported apps, and the BB10 Android runtime may or may not upgrade quickly enough to ensure apps don't break. And given the track record... I'm seeing serious potential problems.
    richardat likes this.
    05-24-13 11:18 PM
    I'd imagine that android apps will be sandboxes in bb10. That means that apps will run in their own memory space among other things.
    All sandboxing does, is prevent a process from crashing the OS or other processes. If an Android app is ported, and is capable of accessing contact information, reading files, etc...then the app can do whatever it wishes with the data should it be granted permission. One thing many BB users should be aware of... is that side-loading apps is always a risk. Unless you install from BB World for approved apps where you have a "relatively reasonable expectation" of security, then don't be surprised if a side-loaded app does something you really wish it hadn't.
    05-24-13 11:33 PM
    About as long as it takes Google to get their latest on new in-market devices lol. 'Jelly Bean' isn't even on the majority of Android devices and it was released almost a year ago. I dunno what's worse, Verizons update schedule for the Z10 or the slow pace in which Android gets updated. In order to have the latest OS, you always need to be buying the latest device. And of course, if you're buying anything but a Nexus -- Good luck!

This is pretty much the sole reason I gave up on buying Android devices, by the time you get the latest OS on your device, Google is already rolling out a new version that you know OEMS won't update to for mooooonths. Yes, you can root and ROM to get ahead of the game but then you end up 'fixing' your device more than you actually end up using it. Pretty sure my SGS3 spent more time rebooting than in actual use.
    You would think someone like you would have a much more level head which discussing such a topic. You should know very well that the problem associated with updating custom manufactured devices lies with the carrier and the oem, and not necessarily Google themselves. There is no slow pace to which Android gets updated. For the last 3 years android has been getting updated on a regular 6-10 month basis, which is immediately available on the nexus line of devices, Google's flagship series. Android as a platform is absolutely NOT indicative of the customer carrier and OEM devices, and has absolutely No bearing on the platforms updated cycle or release schedule. For you to speak so Ill informed on the matter makes me wonder what the intention of your post actually is.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    05-25-13 12:54 AM
    I'm starting to wonder what will come first: Android 4.2.2 on BB10, or BB10 on PlayBook.
    05-25-13 01:43 AM
    You would think someone like you would have a much more level head which discussing such a topic. You should know very well that the problem associated with updating custom manufactured devices lies with the carrier and the oem, and not necessarily Google themselves. There is no slow pace to which Android gets updated. For the last 3 years android has been getting updated on a regular 6-10 month basis, which is immediately available on the nexus line of devices, Google's flagship series. Android as a platform is absolutely NOT indicative of the customer carrier and OEM devices, and has absolutely No bearing on the platforms updated cycle or release schedule. For you to speak so Ill informed on the matter makes me wonder what the intention of your post actually is.
    I believe he's talking about the (non-Nexus) end user getting updates (or not.) As the end user, I couldn't care less about Google's release cycle versus the OEMs'/carriers'. All I care about is that I'm not getting updates on my phone within a reasonable amount of time.
    05-25-13 01:52 AM

Someone has never of ROMs. Also, what do you people install on your gs3s? I have several friends who have them and never get reboots
    05-25-13 02:33 AM
102 123 ...