Interesting story in the National Post (Canada) about HTC suckin' it since the debut of HTC One and HTC First. May be an interesting/positive effect for BBRY:

HTC Corp in ‘freefall,’ bleeding high-level talent: report | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    05-22-13 08:12 PM
    Wow, this is quite bad for HTC. This is what their ex product strategy manager had to say after he quit:

HTC in "Freefall"-htc.jpg

Also important to note that Verizon may pass on the HTC One. They didn't even mention it today at CTIA.
    05-22-13 08:24 PM
    It's got a good packaging but once you start using the phone its a garbage...the sound beats that keep advertising is not that great...i could hardly see any bass in the speaker.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 08:26 PM
    HTC's in a pretty unfortunate position, which is a shame because I rather like the One. If I were shopping for an Android phone it'd most likely end up being a One.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 08:46 PM
    It's sad to see.

I knew once they partnered with Facebook to create the Facebook phone they would be done. It shows a lack of focus and a lack of trust in their HTC One. At this point they don't need to diversify their product portfolio. Building another phone costs marketing dollars, something they don't have.

Both their CEO and CMO should be fired immediately. They definitely lack focus.

They build a phone that takes 200 minutes to machine just the aluminium shell for the phone! On top of that, they still have to assemble the device. In the time it takes to build 1 HTC One, Samsung has probably built at least 100 S4s. They decided to go position the HTC One head on with the giant Samsung instead of carving out their own niche market (ex. positioning the phone at a premium price, higher than Samsung. Think Porsche Design P'9981 just not as expensive).

They are now paying the price. When even employees are disgruntled that badly, something with management is wrong.

I really hope they pull through because they really do build quality devices. But, it's starting to seem quite bleak for them.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by bluetroll; 05-22-13 at 08:56 PM.
    05-22-13 08:46 PM
    It is sad to see a company that put out a really beautiful device just earlier this year be in such a dire predicament.

I know The Verge isn't really a very popular site here, but today's Mobile Show podcast shed quite a lot of light into just what went wrong and why HTC is in the situation it's in. Here's the video link:

The Verge Mobile Show 047 - May 22nd 2013 | The Verge. The discussion on HTC begins at around 03:30 mark.
    Last edited by FlashFlare11; 05-22-13 at 09:08 PM.
    bluetroll and avatsaev like this.
    05-22-13 08:54 PM
    It is sad to see a company that put out a really beautiful device just earlier this year be in such a dire predicament.

I know The Verge isn't really a very popular site today, but today's Mobile Show podcast shed quite a lot of light into just what went wrong and why HTC is in the situation it's in. Here's the video link:

The Verge Mobile Show 047 - May 22nd 2013 | The Verge. The discussion on HTC begins at around 03:30 mark.
    I'm listening to this clip. They are saying the exact same things as what I posted earlier. lol.
    05-22-13 09:05 PM
    I think a lot of the problem is, every device can run android, whether a Huawei or HTC or Samsung - There's nothing great or innovative about the devices themselves. If one device has a feature another doesn't, rest assured you'll find it in application form somewhere.
    05-22-13 09:12 PM
    do you know what htc stands for? Hard To Connect!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-22-13 11:35 PM
    And they said BlackBerry 10 was going to tank. Its really sad, you can't help but feel for them. I remember my stepbrother was a die-hard HTC fan when they were the go to company for quality devices on Windows Mobile, they built great hardware as well as great software, Android included. Now it seems its all going to be just a memory. Sad indeed.
    05-23-13 12:31 AM
    Dont know how much of this is true.But yeah... I don't feel sad for them.Less competition down the line the better need more of these cyborgs dying.I dont know where this over hype of beauty comes from its a Z10 with grill holes ,bigger screen and metal back. Metal on a phone does'nt make it premium or better considering the phone is facing the front 95% of the time no point.I'll take a back with good grip over anything.The nonsense about boom sound who was that marketed to?? When 95% of people dock media devices to bigger speakers and use Aux cable.

Anyway bluetroll said some good things.The spamming of cyborg is too much bound to be casualties your all selling cyborg whats the difference between x,y,z too many me too devices. Eventually will start selling preimium specs with low prices?? In long run bad sales was bound to happen to someone. I wonder how long carriers will stop pushing out all these droids in their store and add quality control.

Once the next gen consoles get release dates and release in shops.Mobile market is dropping hard phones have essentially been filler tech.Home entertainment will be hot products for next few years.On the hone front if you dont have a user base ,a niche, a market space,or create new markets, expect losses.

Htc can sort themselves out but really need restructures.Sell where you are hot ,less spamming of phones,less fragmentation,see what price plan you sell the most.Trying to go after samsung/premium space was stupid do what your good at.
    05-23-13 06:17 AM
    HTC's in a pretty unfortunate position, which is a shame because I rather like the One. If I were shopping for an Android phone it'd most likely end up being a One.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:54 AM
    Blackberry should buy HTC so we can have aluminum phones!! I love what they did on one's design. Really unfortunate, and Google slapped HTC with vanilla Android s4.

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2
    morales0416 likes this.
    05-23-13 07:02 AM
    Dont know how much of this is true.But yeah... I don't feel sad for them.Less competition down the line the better need more of these cyborgs dying.I dont know where this over hype of beauty comes from its a Z10 with grill holes ,bigger screen and metal back. Metal on a phone does'nt make it premium or better considering the phone is facing the front 95% of the time no point.I'll take a back with good grip over anything.The nonsense about boom sound who was that marketed to?? When 95% of people dock media devices to bigger speakers and use Aux cable.

Anyway bluetroll said some good things.The spamming of cyborg is too much bound to be casualties your all selling cyborg whats the difference between x,y,z too many me too devices. Eventually will start selling preimium specs with low prices?? In long run bad sales was bound to happen to someone. I wonder how long carriers will stop pushing out all these droids in their store and add quality control.

Once the next gen consoles get release dates and release in shops.Mobile market is dropping hard phones have essentially been filler tech.Home entertainment will be hot products for next few years.On the hone front if you dont have a user base ,a niche, a market space,or create new markets, expect losses.

Htc can sort themselves out but really need restructures.Sell where you are hot ,less spamming of phones,less fragmentation,see what price plan you sell the most.Trying to go after samsung/premium space was stupid do what your good at.

Good thing nobody at HTC is listening to you. Asking them to leave the high-end space and head over to making low end device...that's just plain daft.

Dont know how much of this is true.But yeah... I don't feel sad for them.Less competition down the line the better need more of these cyborgs dying.I dont know where this over hype of beauty comes from its a Z10 with grill holes ,bigger screen and metal back. Metal on a phone does'nt make it premium or better considering the phone is facing the front 95% of the time no point.I'll take a back with good grip over anything.The nonsense about boom sound who was that marketed to?? When 95% of people dock media devices to bigger speakers and use Aux cable..
    HTC's sales issues come from a head on competition with the juggernaut Samsung, not from any design or software issues with their flagship phone. On average, the One has better reviews in a LOT of prominent review sites, even scoring one of the highest ever ratings on Anandtech.
    Anandtech even noted that design work on the HTC One (and loads of other premium phones) likely started 18 months ago, so comments insinuating it took design cues from the Z10 are just really brainless.
    I dunno where you got that 95% stat from, I'd be shocked if the number of folks who dock their phone are more than 15%...and the boomsound feature works exactly as advertised, with crystal clear and loud stereo sound. I guess stereo sound is excellent on the PlayBook but a 'gimmick' on the One, right?

I like HTC. They've been making excellent phones since the Windows Mobile days. The One is a design marvel and it doesn't deserve to fail. In fact, many articles indicates sales for the One have been picking up lately.
    It is very hard competing against the Samsung Galaxy series, as I'm sure many of you will find out when Blackberry reports US Z10 sales next quarter.
    I'd even say the One is doing ok...at least much better than Sony's flagship Xperia One which seems to have dropped off the radar.
    pantlesspenguin and Rello like this.
    05-23-13 07:15 AM
    It's sad to see.

I knew once they partnered with Facebook to create the Facebook phone they would be done. It shows a lack of focus and a lack of trust in their HTC One. At this point they don't need to diversify their product portfolio. Building another phone costs marketing dollars, something they don't have.
    HTC First would have been a decent seller...then Facebook stabbed them in the back by releasing the same experience for other phones as an app download. over 3 million downloads for Facebook Home off Google play in a few days. There was thus no reasonable reason for anyone to spring for the First anymore.

They decided to go position the HTC One head on with the giant Samsung instead of carving out their own niche market (ex. positioning the phone at a premium price, higher than Samsung. Think Porsche Design P'9981 just not as expensive).
    Pricing the HTC One higher than Samsung would have ensured their speedy demise. Who would buy it?
    Not sure how you want HTC to streamline their portfolio and focus on selling just the One...and then you want them to price their sole offering at a price that would guarantee less than 200,000 units sold per quarter?

Sure you don't work for Samsung? /jk
    05-23-13 07:23 AM
    Well at least their sales of the one are fine.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/23/43...artphone-sales

That's likely more than all z10 sales to date.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
    05-23-13 07:44 AM
    How can you listen to Deiter without wanting to slit your wrists. I couldn't get much further than him knocking on his head.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 08:51 AM
    HTC First would have been a decent seller...then Facebook stabbed them in the back by releasing the same experience for other phones as an app download. over 3 million downloads for Facebook Home off Google play in a few days. There was thus no reasonable reason for anyone to spring for the First anymore.
    That is HTC and Facebook's fault. The reason Facebook released it to all was because the First didn't sell. Facebook isn't going to have the image of their product tarnished with a failed Facebook phone launch. For HTC, when you have no control over your software that is what happens. They got PWND.

Pricing the HTC One higher than Samsung would have ensured their speedy demise. Who would buy it?
    Not sure how you want HTC to streamline their portfolio and focus on selling just the One...and then you want them to price their sole offering at a price that would guarantee less than 200,000 units sold per quarter?

Sure you don't work for Samsung? /jk
    LOL. I wish I worked for Samsung, but I would rather a marketing job with BlackBerry

The main problem is the COST to manufacture the HTC One. It's a beautiful device, multiple friends of mine own it so I've spent some time with the phone. However, when HTC is spending so much extra time to manufacture a phone that sells the same price as it's direct competitor which can pump out devices quicker and at lower cost, they are screwed. If the HTC One and Samsung GS4 is sold to carriers at the same price, HTC has already lost. You can't make money off tiny margins.

HTC made profit $1 million last quarter. They really don't have the resources to throw around to market another phone, let alone a phone that is considered low end. I'm quite sure that by releasing this Facebook phone they have wasted even more money and time.

Head to head with Samsung the Android giant is a stupid move. Hypothetically (I haven't done any market research on this), if they marketed the product as a more prestigious phone (like Apple products) they could charge more for the product. Some customers find value in great design and will have no problem buying it. Having a higher selling price would at least give them a better margin, but then again carriers might just tell them to f themselves we can just buy GS4s instead.
    05-23-13 09:55 AM
    Wow, this is quite bad for HTC. This is what their ex product strategy manager had to say after he quit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTC.JPG 
Views:	2325 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	164257

Also important to note that Verizon may pass on the HTC One. They didn't even mention it today at CTIA.
    I'm surprised HTC's lawyers haven't sent him a nasty-gram. Usually companies have a 'you will not disparage after you leave' policy in their contracts. Hard to enforce I guess, but he is doing it on a public stage.
    05-23-13 09:57 AM
    This all sounds eerily similar to what many people said about BlackBerry about a year ago, and they didn't have any flagship phone released.

Let's not write HTC off too prematurely. It's in the consumers' best interest to have as many competitors in this market as possible.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 10:01 AM
    Unless you think "Google Trends" is a hoax there is many more searches for the HTC One than either the Z10 or the Q10. If the Z10 is selling as well as or better than the HTC , I think it must be that HTC doesn't have a loyal fan base to draw from. I suppose the same might hold true for the Q10 vs the Z10. Similar number of searches but the Q10 probably has a more dedicated fan base with in the BB community and former users.
    05-23-13 10:09 AM
    This all sounds eerily similar to what many people said about BlackBerry about a year ago, and they didn't have any flagship phone released.

Let's not write HTC off too prematurely. It's in the consumers' best interest to have as many competitors in this market as possible.

Posted via CB10
    It appears that there are plenty of Android consumer options. I would love to see hardware divorced from software so that you could run different OS systems on the phone of your choice. Maybe having HTML 5 apps is a welcome step in that direction.
    05-23-13 10:13 AM
    Unless you think "Google Trends" is a hoax there is many more searches for the HTC One than either the Z10 or the Q10. If the Z10 is selling as well as or better than the HTC , I think it must be that HTC doesn't have a loyal fan base to draw from. I suppose the same might hold true for the Q10 vs the Z10. Similar number of searches but the Q10 probably has a more dedicated fan base with in the BB community and former users.
    Not surprising. Every single website out there has more or less said that the One is the best Android phone available. The praise for it has been unanimous, which is basically unheard of in tech circles. They've also announced 5 million units shipped which is incredible for a high-priced flagship phone that's not a Galaxy S. That said, the timing of the announcement is a little suspect given the bad news that's been coming out recently.
    05-23-13 10:40 AM
    If you go ask the general public this.

"Have you seen the HTC One?"

Their response will be, "What is a HTC?"
    05-23-13 10:44 AM
    Just read HTC says they sold 5 million HTC ones since it came out a month ago. Can't be that bad of a phone. The HTC touch I had before my storm2 was a far better build, rubberized back , solid phone, no bugs. Worked with fingers and stylis.

Posted via Z10
    05-23-13 10:49 AM
98 123 ...