I'm a BlackBerry Brother to the bone, and i loved my 9900 like it was a child, but it unfortunately was slightly ********, and the processor was a little SLOW for what i was running, and had to repeatedly take out the battery to reboot.
    I could do every process very fast. e.g.

Copy/Paste or from lock i could make a call in an instant, just 3 simple steps…
    1. press any button to wake.
    2. type in 4 digit unlock code.
    3. hold down "N" to speed dial wife.

Now thats what i call speed dial! This process would take less the 2 seconds, and I could to it without even looking at my phone. (As i know my BB'd qwert key pad like i know the back of my hand.)

I was over joyed to hear about the New Q10, as it looked like a 9900 on steroids.
    I completely ignored the Z10 as I'm not a teenage girl and have no time to be wasting my life on a biatch arse touch screen device.
    I like phones like i like my women, lots of big buttons begging to be smashed around!…And the Q10 buttons are BIG & JUICY, its a dream to type on, and its the best typing experience I've had the pleasure of having on any device.

I've had the Q10 for a week now, and I've nearly thrown it at the wall a few times as its glitchy as fcuk (at the moment), but I've restrained myself as i know it is a baby in its early infancy, and to compare it to the 9900 would not be fair, as the 9900 is the old seasoned veteran of the BB world, having been through thousands of software updates dozens of model modifications to finally have the 9900 doing exactly what it says on the tin.

So i've still got my 9900 and use it along side the Q10, but i feel the only way to be true to the new Q10 would be to put the 9900 in a draw, and just stick with the Q10 only. And grow with it, making sure I appreciate every update to the maximum. I Love my old 9900, but even though it was perfect in many ways, it also drove me mad, not because it was designed wrong, it's just not powerful enough for todays multi media App heavy world, needing 5Gb of music, 3Gb of images, 2000 emails, 500 sms's on one device. I always resorted to deleting all SMS, all email, only having contacts that i really needed, deleting all images/videos, clearing memory log etc in hopes my 9900 could handle the small amount of info on its system, but it would still would freeze and require a reboot (which takes over 10 minutes), this annoying process happens everyday at least 5 times.
    The 9900 works great,and i know it inside and out, I've had at least 10, and they all slowly die, freeze, jam one way or another. The 9900 needs to be injected with steroids!!

On paper the Q10 is the perfect answer…
    processor: Q10-Dual 1500 Mhz 9900-single 1200
    system memory: Q10-2048MB RAM (Dual channel) 9900-768MB RAM
    built in storage: Q10-16Gb 9900-8Gb
    and the list goes on and on….

I'm ready for the next upgrade of the 9900, but unfortunately the Q10 is not quite it. It could be, as you can see from the above stats, on paper looking at numbers the Q10 is far better, but power is nothing without control, and there is no way to 100% control the Q10 to do everything that the 9900 can do, in the same amount of time. And in my life, time is money!

BUT……..If blackBerry listen to its loyal users (like myself), and tweak software, the Q10 could take a steaming sh!t on the underpowered 9900.

If there is anyone out there from BlackBerry reading this, and wants to make me very happy, please incorporate my recommendations, as i believe they are very do-able and would make many people very very happy!!

1. (I'm sure this is the most obvious one but) one bottom speed dial, once unlocked. (like on 9900) the process thats currently in place should be called 'Slow-dial' as I actually forgot who I wanted to call by the time I managed to SWIPE my way to the dial page to access my buttons for "Speed Dial"!!

2. The 'swipe up' the screen to wake is so unnecessary. why not 'any key' to wake, ready to enter enter passpord??
    It will save time and stop me using my left hand which is usually holding the steering wheel! Incorporating this feature will probably save my life…..

3. I like my lock passes to be consecutive sequences like 'zxzx' but for some weird reason this is no longer possible!! The closest password i can now have is 'zzxx' which doesn't seem like a big deal, but i've had the same password for 10 years and its deeply engrained in my soul!! Please allow sequenced password in next update.

4. The 9900 has a 'Convenience key' (on right of BB) and it is best the feature on the whole phone. When i first got the 9900 i nearly cried when i realised it had lost the 'Left Convenience key' which was happily part of all my older BlackBerry's (set for quick one touch access to my contacts), but after many sleepless nights and counselling i managed to get over it and excepted there will only be only ONE 'Convenience Key' from now on…..And now on the NEW and improved Q10 it has NO fcuking 'Convenience Key" what so ever!!!!
    How the hell am i going to lock my phone with one button pressed? its currently impossible. I use this feature overtime i use my 9900 BB or put it down, as its become a necessary deeply rooted habit, as I don't want cheeky colleagues of mine picking up my BB unlocked and looking at my sick photo albums of me abusing my wife and pets… so i always lock after every job i do on it. This stops pocket calls also.

There needs to be a way of using this 'top button' as the "Convenience Key", if the user requires.
    At the moment the 'top button'- it gives you 3 option
    Cancel
    Lock
    or Restart
    I would like the option to use this top button to "lock" with one quick touch, (not the long hold down, that is currently implemented) I have no need for the current other 2 options, I only want that top button to lock my BB.
    I'd even be happy to trade one of the 'volume up and down' bottoms for this, or even better the 'voice,play/pause' button in the middle of them. If it was possible. I'm sure this may be more difficult, as how could one pause music etc, but thats for the geniuses at BB to work out, they were smart enough to take away my beloved "Convenience Keys" so they can be smart enough to find me another one!!

i'm sure there could be a way to get these software issues sorted, and make me over joyed in the process…..

Live in hope, and will stand by my new (slightly ********) Q10, in hopes it will grow wiser and make me proud just like its predecessor.

RIP 9900 (But don't worry Mr 9900, i will get a pay-as-you-go SIM and keep your soul alive and make a few calls a year in memory of the good old days.)

OR….. Lets make life real easy for everyone and make a combination of the best of both the 9900 and Q10!
    Hardware/shell of the Q10, and software, trackball and operating system of the 9900!!! Plus TWO Convenience keys.
    I'd die a happy man, if I never swipe another screen!!!
    05-22-13 07:41 PM
    That was an awesome post BlackBerryMaker! Lots of good ideas!Your first post,welcome to the Crackberry Forums. I also have a 9900 . How big is your memory card? Will hold a lot of videos and photos . Will take a look at the Q 10 when I'm up for an upgrade/contract renewal. As with the 9900 and many other devices, futuure software fixes will hopefully correct your q 10 issues.
    05-22-13 08:07 PM
    So I'm guessing he likes fat chicks?

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    eldricho and bendiep1991 like this.
    05-22-13 08:10 PM
    I was over joyed to hear about the New Q10, as it looked like a 9900 on steroids.
    I completely ignored the Z10 as I'm not a teenage girl and have no time to be wasting my life on a biatch arse touch screen device.
    I like phones like i like my women, lots of big buttons begging to be smashed around!…And the Q10 buttons are BIG & JUICY, its a dream to type on, and its the best typing experience I've had the pleasure of having on any device.
    [/B]
    Bravo... bravo.
    romen95 likes this.
    05-22-13 08:16 PM
    os 7.1 is severely outdated... and sadly many people on this site dont see that, but thats because most people on here have only used blackberries. yea, to a blackberry fan, a person whose been using bbos for years, 7.1 "much" more functional than bb10. But for everyone else out there who has used an android or ios device will know 7.1 was just not nearly enough. Its not fluid and its def outdated! they need to add more features from 7.1 which will eventually make it.
    05-22-13 08:28 PM
    Q10 and Q5 to optionally run an updated version of os7 may not be such a bad idea to please the hard core BlackBerry fans.
    Personally I wouldn't even go close to that as everyday the BB10 os grows on me and I do love it but some people are either too nostalgic or just too used to os7. Why not give them a treat? We're talking about a couple dozens of millions here....
    Just a wild card that could be played by BlackBerry I guess at some point...

Posted via CB10
    jegs2 likes this.
    05-22-13 11:10 PM
    Now that's a true BlackBerry addict right there.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 11:20 PM
    omg this guy is just too damn rightttttttttt ..in evry word he said blackberry should listen to this guy i completely feel the same way ...bravo bravoo ( i respect you and i thank you for this amazing post
    05-22-13 11:35 PM
    I agree with OP. As a convert from a long time iPhone user, I am still using a 9900 with the iPhone 5 on the side. I jumped on the Q10 as soon as it was lunched, but returned it just as fast. It was not up to my expectation, but I will wait.
    There was nothing wrong with the 9900/OS7. It is a tried and tested, and matured software. What the 9900 needed was a hardware upgrade, or at least the hardware acceleration to run internet (and maps) decently. Otherwise, the PIM function is just what I need.
    OS10 is fine, but RIM should not have wasted so much precious time just to get where they are now. They could have continued to update and develop 9900 further, while working on the new OS.

RIM/BBRY were too obsessed to catch up iOS and Android, ended up competing in a sea of touch screen giants.
    It is wrong to simply slap the Z10 functionality on Q10. Q10 should be a totally different product that inherits the true functionality of legacy BBs.
    I hope BBRY will just upgrade the 9900 guts so that it can run internet/maps decently, while pushing for OS10.
    05-23-13 12:07 AM
    I agree with OP. As a convert from a long time iPhone user, I am still using a 9900 with the iPhone 5 on the side. I jumped on the Q10 as soon as it was lunched, but returned it just as fast. It was not up to my expectation, but I will wait.
    There was nothing wrong with the 9900/OS7. It is a tried and tested, and matured software. What the 9900 needed was a hardware upgrade, or at least the hardware acceleration to run internet (and maps) decently. Otherwise, the PIM function is just what I need.
    OS10 is fine, but RIM should not have wasted so much precious time just to get where they are now. They could have continued to update and develop 9900 further, while working on the new OS.

RIM/BBRY were too obsessed to catch up iOS and Android, ended up competing in a sea of touch screen giants.
    It is wrong to simply slap the Z10 functionality on Q10. Q10 should be a totally different product that inherits the true functionality of legacy BBs.
    I hope BBRY will just upgrade the 9900 guts so that it can run internet/maps decently, while pushing for OS10.
    there was actually a lot wrong with 7.1...so much wrong that blackberry almost kicked themselves out of existence because of it. If blackberry had continued developing bbOS, there is no way they would still have the market share they do now..
    austriker likes this.
    05-23-13 12:33 AM
    there was actually a lot wrong with 7.1...so much wrong that blackberry almost kicked themselves out of existence because of it. If blackberry had continued developing bbOS, there is no way they would still have the market share they do now..
    Don't be so niave. Thousands if not millions of organisations are using OS7 devices with BESX.

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-23-13 01:48 AM
    Above is a bit of exaggeration, but if you read my post carefully, you should notice that I was only talking about a "transitional" measure.
    For now, I am perfectly happy with the 9900 with the iPhone supplementing weak points of the 9900. There are many people around me, who returned Q10s and decided to hang onto the 9900 at least for now.
    I will give the Q10 another 6 months when I will revisit it. I am not in a hurry. But in the end, if the Q10 is good enough as a single device solution, I will be happy. If not, there are many other choices, including the iPhone.
    mkmilan likes this.
    05-23-13 02:03 AM
    I feel the same way the OP does. I didn't wait to get the Q10 and this is why. I knew I'd be struggling just like him. And if I'm going to struggle.. I may as well be struggling with a 5 inch screen with a mature Os.
    I still keep my 9900 on me at all times. I use it along side my new device, but it's not my daily driver. I hope one day bbry puts out a device that is exactly what this guy describes.
    It has been a very difficult decision to give up on bbry for me. I've tried it 3 times in the past 3 years and went to droid but boomerangs right back within 14/30 days. The few die hard friends (there's two of them) of mine who remainon bbry were not happy to see me switch. Neither of them follow these blogs, but they've heard from me that the Q10 has no track pad or convenience keys. They aren't too happy about that and I guarantee when they hold the new Q10,they're going to feel the same ****in way the OP does. It's sad and if shouldn't have happened this way. I feel very let down by the hardware decisions and software as well, that RIM has made. What can I do though? This sukcs
    barbarianthemadserb and jegs2 like this.
    05-23-13 02:25 AM
    I get your points but let's be real here there was a lot more problems to bbos then just hardware, even if you fix the hardware developing modern games and apps for that os would be a nightmare developers would look less at that os then bb10 now (which is doing good), therefore less consumers.

Sadly bbos users don't understand that the smartphone game has changed and so did BlackBerrys os, it had nothing to do with chasing, or to belike android or ios, 70+ million users can't be wrong so they kept the keyboard, but the 250 million+ they have lost can't be either, it's what the consumers have decided and with android passing 900 million activations, a modern Os is like bb10 is the only way to go.

A user up above said he carriers a iphone and 9900, I too did this and dropped the ip5 and 9900 for a z10 and I have been happy ever since, I run my business everyday day with no problems and deal with 100+ emails, comments, mentions, messages etc. BlackBerry was, is, and will remain the best communication device. Bbos is mature and close to a decade old it, android and ios all matured over time as bb10 will and has with each update. If the bbos is better for you use it, but I for one am glad for the change, I now have one phone bill and phone that basically does what I needed 2 to do in the past.

Posted via CB10 - FinalD_WPG - C00016D82
    rotorwrench likes this.
    05-23-13 03:04 AM
    BBOS and the last batch of phones that carrier it nearly drove BlackBerry into extinction. Consumers left in droves for modern devices.

I have no love left for the 99xx series, although I do have a soft spot still for the 9810. Between the 9900 and the Q10, it is no contest for me. Working in IT and knowing plenty about the software development cycle, I know that features will come in subsequent iterations.

For me, no contest. I prefer growing with a new OS than dying with an ancient one.
    05-23-13 04:05 AM
    The key to anyone upgrading - especially power users - to the Q10 is to fully "let go" of the legacy BBOS devices along with expectations that the new one will behave exactly like it.

There are specific features missing and some very different. Critical features like Level 1 messaging or Notification Customizations will return in a major future update (some specifics of those features just may die a hard death).

The first week for anyone upgrading - is to be patient, habitually browse and search the crackberry boards, blackberryhelp on twitter and blog site, and finally inside BlackBerry blog with blackberry.com/btsc support knowledge base

Within 7 days you will be enjoying you BB10 device,

Posted via CB10
    edyts likes this.
    05-23-13 12:54 PM
    Don't be so niave. Thousands if not millions of organisations are using OS7 devices with BESX.

Posted via CB10
    right, that is true...but even more millions switched to other platforms and havent looked back
    05-23-13 02:07 PM
    Great review and observations. It is the small ticks that make a berry a crackberry. Hopefully most of these nuances can be fixed via software updates, and I love that the volume rocker can rock the volume without being in the application for playing music.

Hmmm, yeah in a year or two things will be gravy!
    jegs2 likes this.
    05-23-13 03:36 PM
    Haha ur def high writing this post. My advice is stick with what works for you. Bb10 is still growing and will have missing features filled in over time. No phone will be perfect ever

Posted with my Q10
    05-23-13 03:42 PM
    The Q10 is just like when the playbook came out...and completely half baked product. Where are the top tier apps? Where are the killer features that BB is known for? Just like the pb we are gonna have to wait and go step by step with blackberry as they improve the device. But thats the cost of playing with the cutting edge
    05-23-13 04:31 PM
    lol
    05-23-13 04:46 PM
    Very well said you've crystalized my exact thoughts.

At BB Live it was said that all the higher ups onstage and BB employees had BB10 devices and were testing them prior to release. But I find that hard to understand because not one of them saw a need to encorporate elements of BBOS into BB10.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-23-13 07:04 PM
    I get your points but let's be real here there was a lot more problems to bbos then just hardware, even if you fix the hardware developing modern games and apps for that os would be a nightmare developers would look less at that os then bb10 now (which is doing good), therefore less consumers.

Sadly bbos users don't understand that the smartphone game has changed and so did BlackBerrys os, it had nothing to do with chasing, or to belike android or ios, 70+ million users can't be wrong so they kept the keyboard, but the 250 million+ they have lost can't be either, it's what the consumers have decided and with android passing 900 million activations, a modern Os is like bb10 is the only way to go.

A user up above said he carriers a iphone and 9900, I too did this and dropped the ip5 and 9900 for a z10 and I have been happy ever since, I run my business everyday day with no problems and deal with 100+ emails, comments, mentions, messages etc. BlackBerry was, is, and will remain the best communication device. Bbos is mature and close to a decade old it, android and ios all matured over time as bb10 will and has with each update. If the bbos is better for you use it, but I for one am glad for the change, I now have one phone bill and phone that basically does what I needed 2 to do in the past.

Posted via CB10 - FinalD_WPG - C00016D82
    Blackberry IS chasing iPhone and Android and they will ALWAYS be chasing them! The q10 was released a year later than promised, and it is STILL missing almost everything which makes a BLACKBERRY a BLACKBERRY. The blackberry is an email/text super machine. (And a great phone.) That is first and foremost. Anything and everything else is commentary. They are trying to be a droid or iPhone, and they fail miserably.

There is no excuse or justification why they couldn't transfer all the great stuff, bb loyalists have loved for years, into the Q. It's not ONLY the keyboard. It's all the shortcuts and tricks that go along with it! How hard was it for them to get that? This new phone is a sad effort to mimic the other brands. If I were a long-time iPhone or droid user, I would literally be LMAO at this phone. Still crappy upgrades, still has reboots, and still released half done.

WHAT PLANET ARE THESE PEOPLE FROM?!
    FF22 and jegs2 like this.
    05-23-13 09:39 PM
    Blackberry IS chasing iPhone and Android and they will ALWAYS be chasing them! The q10 was released a year later than promised, and it is STILL missing almost everything which makes a BLACKBERRY a BLACKBERRY. The blackberry is an email/text super machine. (And a great phone.) That is first and foremost. Anything and everything else is commentary. They are trying to be a droid or iPhone, and they fail miserably.

There is no excuse or justification why they couldn't transfer all the great stuff, bb loyalists have loved for years, into the Q. It's not ONLY the keyboard. It's all the shortcuts and tricks that go along with it! How hard was it for them to get that? This new phone is a sad effort to mimic the other brands. If I were a long-time iPhone or droid user, I would literally be LMAO at this phone. Still crappy upgrades, still has reboots, and still released half done.

WHAT PLANET ARE THESE PEOPLE FROM?!
    You as a consumer clearly don't know much and are very uninformed, let me put this in perspective for you. The development of iOS began in 2002 when apple made a iPad prototype and Steve jobs figured it'd make a perfect phone, 5 years later iOS v1 was released. Android began in the early 2000's as a os for cameras, when that industry starting going down, they decided to make it a phone OS, which was an exact copy of blackberry at the time. In 2005 google bought android, in 2006 Eric schimedt end up on apples board seen the iPhone, and had google drop and revamp android to be more iOS like.

Blackberry bought QNX in the April of 2010, and released a up to par OS with the iOS and android of today in less then 3 years. If you actually know what goes into coding and creating a OS, you know this is not a easy task. Bbos7 wasn't released with all the features it had, as iOS and android werent so its ignorant to expect bb10 to. It took close to a decade for bbos to have the amount of features it does, this type of thing doesn't happen over night.

So weather you like it or not, blackberry is making all the right moves, and slowing adding functions as they get them to work.

I'm a 3+ year iOS user, typing this on my 4 gen iPad in-fact, I just have the common sense to know Rome wasn't built in a day. Or 3 years either for that matter.

I'm from planet earth were I thought the we as humans had more common sense then I'm seeing in this thread. I mean your not born an adult, you mature and grow with time, as bbos, iOS, and android did and bb10 will.
    Last edited by SDTRMG; 05-24-13 at 12:48 AM.
    edyts, Supa_Fly1 and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-23-13 10:06 PM
    ya know guys and ladies... its a NEW phone and a NEW OS. give it a bit of time

My first computer was an 8086...likely built long before 90% of you were born...compared to what I use now?? as ancient as a typewriter (manual word processor), which I have some experience using as well. in 15 years we have gone pretty much from 8 Meg memory in a PC to 1 Tb memory.

My first Berry was an 8830...I resisted, screaming and yelling that if anyone needed a frickin answer to an e-mail right away, they could damned well wait till tomorrow.

Well by the 2nd night I was TOTALLY infected with the disease now known as crackberry! Wow..what an awesome machine that was....then a 9000 (the great bold beast), then 9870 and finally the 9900 which was the pinnacle and best pure BLACKBERRYof them all...but it did suck as far as browser was concerned. It sucked as far as video rendering was concerned...I never did see pictures on Facebook (not that I use it much..but still eh.?). So for all intents and purposes it was terribly underpowered and under app'd.

I was excited as hell to get my new Q10..and I too was ready to slam it into the wall...it PISSED me off.!! So many little annoyances:

Have to touch the typing box on BBM to type. Why??
    No memo pad,
    SPEED Dial..like molasses.
    A lousy music player.
    My main bank apps didn't work TD + PC Financial Are you listening.??

I agree with the swipe up thing though.

I also would like a BLANK Main Screen ...pls and thank you..or at least the option to dissapear my icons.?

Notifications show right up on the main screen so why not have the ability to simply touch said Notification whichever and go directly to it.?? So, how about this. After 5, 10 or 20 secs or what ever setting the user desires, the screen reverts back to the main screen (that would take care of those that want a clean look to their main screen), with the clock (or whatever info you WISH), on it and your notifications come up as they come in and the ability to go directly to said notification be-it bbm, gmail, text, VM or whatever it is.

SPEED IT UP with a minimum of swipes, gestures and typing.

As for contacts. Not sure if I really want to see a persons WHOLE LinkedIn profile...I could care less. All i want is his phone # and e-mail.!! Same with bbm, gmail etc. A bit much and a bit too much like what I would expect from iOS and droid.

But ya know as I sit here DL'ing the latest 10.1.0.273 software update...I have to believe that these things and all the things the OP mentioned will come with time (sooner than later though eh!!!), ...maybe even an updated device that will bring back your beloved convenience key too.

Still..Im die hard BB and to hell with the "head down - gonna walk into parked cars crowd" this will become an awesome machine. Just think, you could leave your laptop at home, put your .ppt on your phone and with a micro HDMI out - do a business presentation with your Q10. I guess it could be done using WiFi or Btooth as well...but still a good idea.

Q10 will do well...lets give it a year k.??

so lets have a look at 10.1.0.273..shall we.??

stk
    Last edited by steakman911; 05-23-13 at 10:44 PM.
    SharonRD, SDTRMG, moosbb and 1 others like this.
    05-23-13 10:19 PM
91 123 ...