AM I the only one to mention this? The screen of the Q10 has worked quite well for me generally, I have no complaints about the size. What I hated as soon as I saw it and still have a hard time getting used to is the limited area for viewing messages
    Message area not tall enough in SMS, BBM, etc.-img_00000009.png

We are using up nearly 2/3 of the screen with title bars etc. I don't think there's any way of turning these off or getting them to autohide or anything but maybe I'm wrong. This leaves us with just over 1/3 of the screen height to try and scroll through messages. I would like to see this fixed somehow.

I'm not trying to be only negative, even with this issue you'd have remove my Q10 be sheer force for me to get rid of it!

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 03:47 PM
    I am able to view the whole text in the sms bubble. Have you increased your default font size in the settings? If so, I believe that when you do it makes it so only two lines are viewable. If you use the default font, you should be able to see the whole text message.
    05-21-13 03:57 PM
    That depends on how long your SMS is. My point is, they need to make more room somehow to view messages. The screen is too small to have all those bars on top and bottom. They should auto hide or something, like the email does.

Posted via CB10
    dollface likes this.
    05-21-13 04:04 PM
    Agreed there is not much screen space in the sms app, I imagine you have a lot more with the Z10. I'd be happy if the smiley button was moved below and grouped in the bottom bar, so I could stop hitting it when trying to click on text/ place a cursor. lol The email auto-hides the reply bar? Don't have that option on mine, auto-hide would be a nice option for the bottom bars though.
    peacebelfast likes this.
    05-21-13 04:12 PM
    After I said that about the auto hide I went and tried to find where I had seen that in the email and I'm not sure where I got that from, must have been on another app or something.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 04:28 PM
    Well, dang, that was a teaser. lol But you're right, an auto-hide bar would be an appealing option to have with sms, text and email.
    dollface likes this.
    05-21-13 04:40 PM
    The Q10 is a great phone, but there are some questionable issues. One is the UI for the messaging.

Compared to whatsapp, the look of BBM and text messages is heavy with lots of intrusive lines. This is compounded by the lack of space on the Q10 because of the clutter top and bottom.

It is very poor design visually for a phone that is aimed primarily as a communications tool. BBM on the 9900 is so much cleaner with more room despite the smaller screen. BBM is a core feature of the BlackBerry experience, but I feel they've messed it up visually, so have asked colleagues to load whatsapp for messaging - it works just as well and is much cleaner.
    05-21-13 04:51 PM
    I agree WhatsApp has SOME visual advantages. However, it has been laggy and unreliable in the past and I would still rather use BBM. WA is also not as feature rich. I haven't used much WhatsApp on the Q10 though maybe I need to give it some time, but for some reason all my Android buddies just use SMS and barely use WhatsApp unless one of their contacts has a limited texting plan.

In my opinion the SMS screen in BB10 is a little worse than the BBM screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 05:37 PM
    When I first bought the Q10 I found it all a little unintuitive. As I got used to it I started to really enjoy the experience. However, now that things have settled down and the novelty has worn off I'm starting to get frustrated with the whole messaging/email thing. The keyboard is fantastic, but the screen space on the Q10 for messaging is very poorly utalised. The editing experience is trash too. The only apps I actually enjoy writing in is CrackBerry and whatsapp.

The Q is blackBerry's jewel in the crown, and yet they have handicapped it with a UI optimised for a touch screen phone with a virtual keyboard. I hope there are plans to tune the core messaging UI in order to get the best out of what could be a fantastic phone.
    SharonRD likes this.
    05-21-13 05:58 PM
    When you start typing in the screen, doesn't it expand with a long text message like the 9810 does? Just curious as I am picking one up as soon as they hit the US. I send and receive a ton of emails and messages every day so it is important to me. I have no problems with the 9810 screen or text box at all. It expands as I type longer text messages. Same with the email screen and BBM. Just curious and thanks!
    05-21-13 06:14 PM
    Agreed there is not much screen space in the sms app, I imagine you have a lot more with the Z10. I'd be happy if the smiley button was moved below and grouped in the bottom bar, so I could stop hitting it when trying to click on text/ place a cursor. lol The email auto-hides the reply bar? Don't have that option on mine, auto-hide would be a nice option for the bottom bars though.
    Actually if you are doing anything that requires text entry the screen sizes are the same, check this thread below for side by side examples. Z with keyboard up has the same viewable screen size as the Q.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...debate-802693/
    05-21-13 06:21 PM
    That's a great thread, OldSkool.
    05-21-13 06:50 PM
    When you start typing in the screen, doesn't it expand with a long text message like the 9810 does? Just curious as I am picking one up as soon as they hit the US. I send and receive a ton of emails and messages every day so it is important to me. I have no problems with the 9810 screen or text box at all. It expands as I type longer text messages. Same with the email screen and BBM. Just curious and thanks!
    No it doesn't. If you have a text longer than a few lines you'll find yourself scrolling up and down which is ridiculous - particularly if it is important to get the details right and you want to check it before sending. It's these little things that really irritate me. From a business users point of view it is poorly implemented.

If you (like me) rely on the ability to efficiently respond to emails and texts which demand a quick check before sending, then the Q10 is not great. Everything else is mostly good - very frustrating.
    Last edited by marcusperkins; 05-21-13 at 07:53 PM.
    05-21-13 07:42 PM
    This seems to be a common theme I'm reading about - that the general UI is just too big and does not allow for customization. Not sure how I will feel about it when I get mine on Verizon. I like to see a such information on the screen as possible. My 9930 was great about that.
    Mack Gans likes this.
    05-21-13 08:17 PM
    Just need to complain about it enough and make it happen. It's gotta be super easy to fix if they wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 08:35 PM
    Everyone tweet to Vivek Bhardwaj @vik_1on1. He is usually responsive on twitter and likes to get feedback about BB10. I just sent him a message.
    https://twitter.com/vik_1on1
    galleon likes this.
    05-21-13 11:19 PM
    I for one like the messaging app, the colors and the bars. Font size plays a lot in this case as I can see a lot and I have the font size on the lowest setting.

Posted via CB10
    05-22-13 03:16 AM
    Totally agree. As a business user I changed from Z10 to Q10 for better messaging efficiency. The small screen for text/email, and having to scroll to check message before sending is irritating. Many people now use text for business, sending quite long messages. I do hope this can be improved. Also as someone else remarked, the smiley button gets in the way. Other than than that I love the Q10.
    05-22-13 04:04 AM
    One thing I found irritating on the Z10 (& it seems still is the case on the Q10) is the "bubble" chat style -- takes up too much screen space! Would love the option to change the chat style to "stripes" or "no border" like on the legacy devices.
    05-22-13 09:58 AM
    Agree with all comments. One tip: I reset my font size from 10 to 9 in settings and it fixed the scrolling issue in text messages - namely, with 10 font size, I would only be able to see the first two lines of any text I was writing, having to scroll down manually to see what else I had written. With font size 9, the scrolling happens automatically as you write.
    09-07-13 02:00 AM
    Font size 6 is my option but sometimes I do change. Option 10 is way to big IMO

Posted via CB10
    09-07-13 11:12 AM
    I had this problem. I've since updated the software yesterday with Verizon and it seemed to help.
    09-07-13 12:35 PM
    Me to, I find having to scroll to see what I typed very frustrating.
    I need to get my messages out quick because I'm always on the go.
    Hope this is fixed soon.
    10-08-13 08:11 PM
    Particularly in BBM, once you choose your contact and open the chat with them, I think the top contact bar and bottom option bars should auto-hide with a swipe up to show the option bar if needed. Have a full screen viewing area available.
    10-09-13 06:28 AM
    Does anyone know of an app with an expanding text box, one that expands as you type more text? I am desperately looking for app for this irritating problem of only seeing limited number of lines of your text.
    03-09-14 07:00 PM