I bought a playbook over a year ago and a recurring issue is that once I unlock it, it tells me that the password of one of my email accounts has changed and prompts me to enter the new password. The password has not actually changed though, so when I type in the password again, the password is accepted and everything is fine again until the next time this happens.

Now I got the Q10 and the very same thing just happened this morning. Does this happen for any of you as well and is there a way to fix it?
    05-21-13 12:20 AM
    You should call your carrier about this. One month ago I started receiving a message from my Z10 that my yahoo email password needs to be updated or was not saved. It kept asking me for the password when trying to connect so I called my carrier (Rogers). They said that Yahoo made some changes to the backend to their mail which affected their mail service. They asked me to replace certain settings with the Rogers incoming and outgoing mail settings and I no longer have this issue.
    05-21-13 01:35 AM
    According to a Blackberry knowledgebase article on BB10 devices, at least one reason this occurs is because some other client is simultaneously trying to retrieve from the same POP mailbox.

However people's experience suggests that it also occurs when that situation is not true.

To me, it seems like it started happening after I configured more than 4 or 5 email accounts on the device. I have no idea if that applies to anyone else.
    05-21-13 01:45 AM
    Re: Yahoo and various webmail systems, sometimes they want some sort of additional authentication, but the authentication has to be done via web browser, ie to answer a captcha challenge. So with Yahoo in particular, sometimes all you need to do is login on the website and answer any authentication challenges they present, then it will start working on the mobile device again.
    05-21-13 01:46 AM
    I've the same issue on my playbook.
    I think it's because of disconnections from wifi during the authentication process.
    On my BB10 I've never had this issue but maybe it's for the same situation?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-13 04:36 AM
    Re: Yahoo and various webmail systems, sometimes they want some sort of additional authentication, but the authentication has to be done via web browser, ie to answer a captcha challenge. So with Yahoo in particular, sometimes all you need to do is login on the website and answer any authentication challenges they present, then it will start working on the mobile device again.
    When I first had this issue with the playbook, this advice was the one I read when I googled it. Didn't apply then, but when I had this issue with the playbook again today, interestingly it did.
    Q10 forgot the icloud password though, so that one remains a mystery. It might have to do with the daily DSL disconnect, though no other mail account was affected. It will be interesting to see if it happens again tonight.
    In any case, thanks for all the helpful comments!
    05-21-13 05:48 PM
    When I first had this issue with the playbook, this advice was the one I read when I googled it. Didn't apply then, but when I had this issue with the playbook again today, interestingly it did.
    Q10 forgot the icloud password though, so that one remains a mystery. It might have to do with the daily DSL disconnect, though no other mail account was affected. It will be interesting to see if it happens again tonight.
    In any case, thanks for all the helpful comments!

I never suggested it is a universal fix, but it's one of the issues that can come up.

Another one is specific to Google, they sometimes force you to create an "application specific password" in order to use a mobile device, because they consider them "untrustworthy" if they don't like the way they are authenticating or something. (Or perhaps they like to make it difficult sometimes for any access method that doesn't support advertising delivery. )

I also happen to think the "forgetting password" thing in BB10 is a flaw or bug. Even if it's not the fault of the Blackberry device, like for example, let's say they have a collision with another host that has the POP3 mailbox locked when the BB tries to poll it for new messages. It should never silently fail and silently stop picking up emails in a way that you can't even know it's doing unless you dig into the settings and see red text telling you the account has been disabled. It should give you a useful warning or error message, along the lines of "Sorry, last poll of account X failed because the mailbox was locked by another host. Will retry at next poll interval."

Or SOMEthing. Blackberry 10 in my opinion is very poor at logging and user notifications. I think those things are casualties at the altar of "ease of use". (At least the "ease of use" reminiscent of Apple products where many options are taken away and one is expected to assume that the device will magically take care of everything for you and not bother you with "complicated and stressful technical details"...)
    05-22-13 07:12 AM
    According to a Blackberry knowledgebase article on BB10 devices, at least one reason this occurs is because some other client is simultaneously trying to retrieve from the same POP mailbox.

However people's experience suggests that it also occurs when that situation is not true.

To me, it seems like it started happening after I configured more than 4 or 5 email accounts on the device. I have no idea if that applies to anyone else.
    I'm one of those people. The only email acting up and constantly asking em to reenter my password is my Comcast email. I only access my Comcast email from two places. Through the browser via their website and through my phone. No other client is trying to access my Comcast account.

I only have 4 email accounts on my phone (Gmail, SNHU, Comcast, and my work email). My SNHU and work email connect via activesync and I have not had any issues. Nor have I had issues with Gmail.

According to this person, it is an issue with the OS and Blackberry is aware of it.

Z10 POP Email Account Constantly Disconnecting - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    05-22-13 09:49 AM
    I had this problem on my Q10 with my own domain based email POP account.
    I fixed it by disabling WiFi and resetting the login details over my mobile network (Vodafone).
    Its now been good for over a week on mobile data or WiFi.
    Hope this helps someone.
    07-18-13 11:47 AM
    The "forgetting password" issue is a known issue with BB10 software, the device has a tendency to erase the password on an account if it encounters multiple authentication errors, sometimes just because the internet link is unreliable. In some cases, the email provider (ie Gmail, Yahoo) contribute to this by locking down accounts when they see attempts from a mobile device to access them that seem "suspicious" to them.

Very recent versions of BB10 OS version 10.1 have significant bugfixes and architectural changes to address some of these issues, ie with Gmail they have implemented a completely new credential system that uses Gmail's proprietary "application specific password" feature, which should fix the "forgot password" issue permanently.
    07-18-13 02:42 PM
    i have still been experiencing this problem with 10.2.0.429 on rogers

it has forgot my password twice in the past 3 weeks
    11-25-13 01:07 AM
    i have still been experiencing this problem with 10.2.0.429 on rogers

it has forgot my password twice in the past 3 weeks

Yes, the problem has not gone away, though it has gotten better I think in many cases.

What provider are you having trouble with and what protocol (POP3, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync) are you using to connect?

Does your WiFi switch back to wireless carrier internet a lot? Do you have weak/intermittent signal issues there?
    11-25-13 03:00 AM
    Yes, the problem has not gone away, though it has gotten better I think in many cases.

What provider are you having trouble with and what protocol (POP3, IMAP, Exchange ActiveSync) are you using to connect?

Does your WiFi switch back to wireless carrier internet a lot? Do you have weak/intermittent signal issues there?

I am using the default settings that the account automatically setup when I entered my email address. IMAP.

Yes it does switch from WiFi to rogers often. I keep wifi enabled usually so if im wondering around it will connect to my access points if im at work, friends family etc. However i have noticed that it doesn't complain about a forgotten password with any type of pattern, it seems to occur at odd times.
    11-25-13 09:05 AM
    Yes it does switch from WiFi to rogers often. I keep wifi enabled usually so if im wondering around it will connect to my access points if im at work, friends family etc.

I would suggest turning off wifi for a while and see whether the problem improves. Frequent switching between wifi and carrier internet can be a catalyst, and most people are not aware of all the times when when that switching occurs, in some signal conditions it might happen quite frequently.

I don't recall you answering which email service provider you are using.
    11-26-13 02:34 AM
    Happens here across multiple devices. More that all we have to do is go into account setup and save. We never have to re-enter account info.

Posted by Dr. Emmett Brown from my Google iBerry Cranial Implant
    11-26-13 10:40 AM
    Happens here across multiple devices. More that all we have to do is go into account setup and save. We never have to re-enter account info.

For some reason that doesn't work for me. It always clears the credentials and I have to re-enter them.
    11-26-13 11:37 PM
    Same here

The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    11-27-13 12:23 AM
    Just to clarify, when we open the account configuration, those cred fields are blank. Nonetheless, we still just save it and it goes live again.

11-27-13 08:47 PM
    Pathetic they didn't fix this widely know problem in 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 08:58 PM
    In years of legacy usage, I don't ever recall something like that happening. Regrettably, I've actually gotten use to this so I jump into the account and resave in a few seconds. Well in time we can even get used to a tooth ache.

11-27-13 09:05 PM
    In years of legacy usage, I don't ever recall something like that happening. Regrettably, I've actually gotten use to this so I jump into the account and resave in a few seconds. Well in time we can even get used to a tooth ache.

Right. And no other smart phone platform has this problem. As I said, pathetic. And I actually can't believe it wasn't fixed in 10.2.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 09:19 PM
    Just to clarify, when we open the account configuration, those cred fields are blank. Nonetheless, we still just save it and it goes live again.

I can't even test that, because the save button is unavailable (greyed out) while the password field is blank.
    11-28-13 05:20 AM
    And no other smart phone platform has this problem. As I said, pathetic. And I actually can't believe it wasn't fixed in 10.2.

It seems you have an extremely long list of things about the platform that you think are "pathetic" and "can't believe isn't fixed".

If I were that unhappy I would have jumped-ship a long time ago instead of just constantly griping about it.
    11-28-13 05:21 AM
    I can't even test that, because the save button is unavailable (greyed out) while the password field is blank.
    Just change something insignificant like the display name by simply adding and removing a letter. Then save will be live.

11-28-13 09:12 AM
    It seems you have an extremely long list of things about the platform that you think are "pathetic" and "can't believe isn't fixed".

If I were that unhappy I would have jumped-ship a long time ago instead of just constantly griping about it.
    I think people have a right to voice their concerns. Not all posts are balanced but everyone is different. Bb10 in its release state was a disappointment to me. It's getting better and to be fair, they've done a lot of good work with this new OS. That doesn't mean anyone should guard there negative feelings. This is not really directed at your post. More generally, let's be tolerant of both the good and the bad posts.

11-28-13 09:17 AM
30 12