Take this with a pinch of salt as not everything I was ever told turned out to be true but I got word that the rumored S Model BBOS device is still ON.

As a huge Legacy fan I find that very exciting and I would buy it simply because it could be the very last Legacy BlackBerry device, the end of an era but secretly I hope it would turn out so successful that BB would have no choice but to keep making them.

Who else would be excited to see the BBOS platform live on and be developed further?
    05-20-13 02:48 AM
    What's an S look like? Specs?
    05-20-13 03:13 AM
    I would not. The potential for BB10 is huge. BBOS is at the practical limit of what it can do.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 03:14 AM
    What's an S look like? Specs?
    No idea, all I know is it will have Legacy BBOS. This has been reported a while ago in road maps.
    05-20-13 03:18 AM
    I would not. The potential for BB10 is huge. BBOS is at the practical limit of what it can do.

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure that's the case? I can hold my 7230 in one hand and my 9900 in the other and I can see how far BBOS has come, huge leap, I can't think why it can't be developed further. It has proven security, solid integration between apps(something BB10 still hasn't caught up with yet) flexibility etc etc
    ruhban likes this.
    05-20-13 03:25 AM
    Hasn't BlackBerry fired most of its Java developers. I don't think they have the resources to develop BBOS anymore.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 04:29 AM
    BlackBerry 10 Lineup and Codenames Get Detailed in Extensive Leak

S series seems to be a BB10 model. Where's the rumour coming from, BD?
    05-20-13 04:38 AM
    Hasn't BlackBerry fired most of its Java developers. I don't think they have the resources to develop BBOS anymore.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think they ever said they fired the java developers, it was staff from all corners of the company.
    05-20-13 04:38 AM
    BlackBerry 10 Lineup and Codenames Get Detailed in Extensive Leak

S series seems to be a BB10 model. Where's the rumour coming from, BD?
    Maybe I'm blind but that link doesn't mention the S, the rumour came from last year roadmap leaks, before the Z10 and Q10 was announced I think. I'll try to find it.

Edit: found this:

http://berrygeeks.wordpress.com/tag/...-release-date/

"The R-Series may be BlackBerry 10 Curve which is the next generation Smartphones, while the BlackBerry S Series is rumored to be the exact same as R-Series, except it will be running on BlackBerry OS 8 possibly!!!!"
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 05-20-13 at 05:11 AM.
    ruhban and flyingsolid like this.
    05-20-13 04:50 AM
    Are you sure that's the case? I can hold my 7230 in one hand and my 9900 in the other and I can see how far BBOS has come, huge leap, I can't think why it can't be developed further. It has proven security, solid integration between apps(something BB10 still hasn't caught up with yet) flexibility etc etc
    Yes, I'm sure. There is the concept of "point of diminishing return". BBOS has reached that point.
    05-20-13 05:26 AM
    The S stands for "Scrapped" lol.

Posted via CB10
    05-20-13 05:32 AM
    Perhaps they should concentrate on completing software for current hardware

Runs for cover
    vzw8830 and JeepBB like this.
    05-20-13 05:34 AM
    The S stands for "Scrapped" lol.

Posted via CB10
    I asked the question last night and it's still on, I hope you're wrong lol, but as I said, I was told wrong things before.
    05-20-13 05:35 AM
    Yes, I'm sure. There is the concept of "point of diminishing return". BBOS has reached that point.
    If it's the exact same hardware why not have both OSs? Note the R10/Q5 doesn't have hdmi out port and I'm pretty sure BBOS can support Video Calling. Plus I don't think it would take much coding?

BB should play it safe and put both out there, see which one sticks like Samsung does.
    05-20-13 05:37 AM
    If it's the exact same hardware why not have both OSs? Note the R10/Q5 doesn't have hdmi out port and I'm pretty sure BBOS can support Video Calling. Plus I don't think it would take much coding?

BB should play it safe and put both out there, see which one sticks like Samsung does.
    From another thread:

1. That was no compliment
    2. I want to keep Legacy for my own enjoyment, not to "save" Blackberry.
    JR A, Bobcat665 and Acidwire like this.
    05-20-13 08:33 PM
    No idea, all I know is it will have Legacy BBOS. This has been reported a while ago in road maps.
    BBOS, like Android, is Java based so I guess if they just upgraded the hardware, sure, why not. I doubt they'd commit resources to things like the browser and apps so it would be strictly a messaging phone... There's nothing wrong with BBOS if you use it for messaging so perhaps BB will surprise everyone and launch it. Stranger things have happened...
    nextlevel88 likes this.
    05-20-13 08:54 PM
    Not at all. The way forward is with the new OS.

Posted from my Z10
    shaleem, Bobcat665 and jarrodmeyer like this.
    05-20-13 09:11 PM
    BBOS, like Android, is Java based so I guess if they just upgraded the hardware, sure, why not.
    Isn't Android Linux based?
    JR A likes this.
    05-20-13 09:18 PM
    Isn't Android Linux based?
    Java based as far as I'm aware. NOW I'm going to have to Google that, thank you very much! =)

EDIT: Android is Linux based, most apps are written in JAVA. You are correct, sir!
    05-20-13 09:26 PM
    I would not buy it but yes I would be excited. I think there's still a place for it in the world.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-21-13 12:42 AM
    I would've said that it's likely before the Q5 was announced, but now I don't think there will be another BBOS device. I wasn't initially sure whether it was possible to create a BB10-based device for emerging markets without sacrificing the experience, based on what we heard from BlackBerry execs. Since the company was able to do so, I don't think there's really any need for another legacy OS-based device.

I love the old BBOS, but maintaining two OSs seems contrary to the consolidation BlackBerry is doing in regards to its brand and corporate structure. I don't know whether the company can afford to devote resources to the development of two OSs.

Anyway, yeah, I'd be excited to see a new BBOS device! I loved the old OS and I didn't want to see it go. This would be one last hurrah that could complete the collection of BBOS devices!
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-21-13 12:54 AM
    No.

If they did, it would be the prime-time for me to say, "Dafuq?!"

And I've been waiting to use that for a while...
    raino likes this.
    05-21-13 01:01 AM
    Interview with TH:

Instead, he's moving ahead with a BlackBerry product line that will have three tiers: smartphones for high end users, as well as variations that sell at mid- and "entry-level" prices.

The lower-priced models will also use the BlackBerry 10 operating system, but will be designed with markets like India and Indonesia in mind. It's an intricate shift that involves gradually encouraging its loyal users in emerging markets to make the switch to its new operating system, while recognizing it's not going to happen overnight — and in some cases perhaps not for years.

In the meantime, the company will release another round of BlackBerry 7 models in some countries, which continue to use the old operating system.

may have to change name to MumbaiDispatcher ...
    05-21-13 01:01 AM
    A more stable OS and wider adoptance would be nice. New hardware probably won't fix either.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.1.0.1880)
    05-21-13 01:04 AM
    A certain amount of resources will always be allocated to BBOS, apps are still being updated, and for example the new BBM Channels are even supported on OS5 devices, yes OS5.

I think they really have nothing to loose with a new BBOS device.
    05-21-13 01:33 AM
1,319 123 ...