Fellow PlayBook users,

Out of need for finding a decent browser on PlayBook, I ended up making one myself.

The browser is aimed to be lightweight, yet flexible to meet varying users' needs as its name suggests.

It will be released on BlackBerry World once I have a stable version.
    The browser has been released on BlackBerry World on 7/19.

It features:
    • True tab browsing experience (Chrome like UI)
    • Orientation support
    • Ad-blocking (host filtering + element hiding)
    • Gesture support
    • Loading progress indicator
    • Integrated download manager
    • Bookmarks manager
    • Password manager
    • Custom bookmarklets
    • Quick Dial
    • Tab specific features on/off (Toggle: Ad-block, Desktop mode, Private browsing, Booster mode, etc. on the fly)
    • Fullscreen support
    • Keep screen on (useful when using on kitchen countertop)
    • Virtual Touchpad
      and many more

Take a look at a short review created by slick1two to see the browser in-action.

Access to shared folders
    The permission to access shared folder is necessary for file downloading. It should run just fine without it but beware that the browser will not be able to download files properly if the permission is not granted.

Click the link below to download the latest version of OrigamiBrowser to try out.

>>>> Click here to see the app on BBWorld <<<<

OrigamiBrowser - Experimental Release-logo.png
    Click here to make a PayPal donation to support the project
    Last edited by pcshun; 07-22-13 at 08:43 PM.
    Mecca EL, dmlis, osbook and 84 others like this.
    05-19-13 01:00 PM
    that looks good, I'm looking forward to loading this when I'm home.

from the screens I will say well done!
    05-19-13 01:13 PM
    Loaded. Looks interesting. It will NOT let me enter the file system using

file:///

while your tutorial loads using that type of statement. I have my own homepage on the pb that is a table of my favorite sites.

I keep getting google and it may be dropping the colon : character from what google is showing.
    05-19-13 02:30 PM
    Downloaded, installed and gave it a quick try...

GREAT!

It is already very functional, but please please please keep working on this. It has the potential to be the best alternative browser for the PB, and I have tried them all.
    05-19-13 02:42 PM
    Wow dude, you did an awesome job! You really did!
    05-19-13 02:43 PM
    that looks good, I'm looking forward to loading this when I'm home.

from the screens I will say well done!
    Thanks. Let me know how it works out for you.

Loaded. Looks interesting. It will NOT let me enter the file system using

file:///

while your tutorial loads using that type of statement. I have my own homepage on the pb that is a table of my favorite sites.

I keep getting google and it may be dropping the colon : character from what google is showing.
    In my code, direct entry into the URL box is validated against a regext that allows only prefixes "http" or "https". I can change that easily if you want to use your local html file as a homepage. I was planning on implementing a robust bookmarks manager (rearrange-able) integrated into the browser. But I can add a custom homepage feature rather quickly, if you would like to have it.

I very much welcome suggestions / bug reports

I forgot to mention but the toggle switches in the menu list (Desktop mode, Private browsing, etc.) resets everytime you switch between tabs. If you try it out, you'll know what I mean. I don't use these features too often so I haven't implemented it yet..
    05-19-13 02:54 PM
    Downloaded, installed and gave it a quick try...

GREAT!

It is already very functional, but please please please keep working on this. It has the potential to be the best alternative browser for the PB, and I have tried them all.
    Wow dude, you did an awesome job! You really did!
    Thanks for giving it a try. My favorites feature is Instant jump [Shift + Enter]. Try [crackberry] + [Shift] + [Enter].

Voice search and bookmarks would probably take a little while to develop, but I have written up most other features. Stay tuned
    Rezwrld likes this.
    05-19-13 03:01 PM
    This is an amazing browser - am really impressed!
    If you're going to keep updating it, then I definitely recommend putting on BB World - more people need to see this!
    05-19-13 03:26 PM
    Can you also make it with cascades and release it for bb10? I think this app really has potential

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 03:40 PM
    Can you also make it with cascades and release it for bb10? I think this app really has potential

Posted via CB10
    Then it wouldn't be the same app. This is marvelous as it it! Better to me than the cascades look.
    05-19-13 03:42 PM
    I would like the file:/// access if it is not too hard to implement.

The current native browser can also display certain formats using that access method besides htm and html files. It can open txt and jpg files, too.
    Herve5 likes this.
    05-19-13 04:25 PM
    I pretty like that browser.

I don't see a possibility to close a tab (is it missing?)

I wonder why by default it's "mobile" browser, not a "desktop" one (many of websites are showing then mobile version instead of full one).

Keep working on it. Seems very promising.
    05-19-13 05:00 PM
    this is awesome, just one question how do you close tabs I can't seem to find a way. like the way I looks.

and if you plan to implemt a way to download files through this browser instead of the native( haven't really tried to download anything so I don't know how it works yet) can I recomend using the notification area to be able to check fast and easy also making it more flexible. no other browser seems to do this or if it does it doesn't display the progress I believe tubemate show the progress of the download so it migth be possible.

also its just an idea as I don't know if its too hard to implement.
    Herve5 likes this.
    05-19-13 05:02 PM
    Dude it clearly says double tap to close
    Herve5 and osbook like this.
    05-19-13 05:16 PM
    Fine, no cascade version but can you please make it able to run on bb10? I just love the ui. Better than chrome

Posted via CB10
    05-19-13 05:17 PM
    Thanks. Let me know how it works out for you.

In my code, direct entry into the URL box is validated against a regext that allows only prefixes "http" or "https". I can change that easily if you want to use your local html file as a homepage. I was planning on implementing a robust bookmarks manager (rearrange-able) integrated into the browser. But I can add a custom homepage feature rather quickly, if you would like to have it.

I very much welcome suggestions / bug reports

I forgot to mention but the toggle switches in the menu list (Desktop mode, Private browsing, etc.) resets everytime you switch between tabs. If you try it out, you'll know what I mean. I don't use these features too often so I haven't implemented it yet..
    well done!!! this is extremely promising, I have only played with it for 15 mins or so and I'm impressed so far.

keep up the good work!
    05-19-13 05:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    Then it wouldn't be the same app. This is marvelous as it it! Better to me than the cascades look.
    Fine, no cascade version but can you please make it able to run on bb10? I just love the ui. Better than chrome

Posted via CB10
    Grad you liked the UI. I would love to develop one for BB10. However, I do not have any BB10 device (dev alpha, Z10, Q10, etc.) at this moment. Wish BB was generous enough to give me one, but unfortunately not the case. I could try to port it over using an emulator but I do not feel comfortable doing that just yet.

This is an amazing browser - am really impressed!
    If you're going to keep updating it, then I definitely recommend putting on BB World - more people need to see this!
    The only thing is this browser is not stable yet. People do not want to use a browser that randomly crashes do they?

I pretty like that browser.

I don't see a possibility to close a tab (is it missing?)

I wonder why by default it's "mobile" browser, not a "desktop" one (many of websites are showing then mobile version instead of full one).

Keep working on it. Seems very promising.
    this is awesome, just one question how do you close tabs I can't seem to find a way. like the way I looks.

and if you plan to implemt a way to download files through this browser instead of the native( haven't really tried to download anything so I don't know how it works yet) can I recomend using the notification area to be able to check fast and easy also making it more flexible. no other browser seems to do this or if it does it doesn't display the progress I believe tubemate show the progress of the download so it migth be possible.

also its just an idea as I don't know if its too hard to implement.
    Dude it clearly says double tap to close
    I don't usually read a tutorial myself so not gonna blame you And yes, you double click a tab to close it. Single tap to switch.
    xanderten50, deezy87 and Herve5 like this.
    05-19-13 05:47 PM
    keep up the great work! can you post/pm your updated versions as they are available?

Sent from an ATM
    05-19-13 05:59 PM
    I would like the file:/// access if it is not too hard to implement.

The current native browser can also display certain formats using that access method besides htm and html files. It can open txt and jpg files, too.
    Just updated the bar file to v0.0.2 in the OP. Now you can access file:/// from the navigation. Also I would suggest to set it as a homepage using the long-hold popup.
    nappp and Herve5 like this.
    05-19-13 05:59 PM
    OrigamiBrowser - Experimental Release-img_20120355.jpg
    Just updated the bar file to v0.0.2 in the OP. Now you can access file:/// from the navigation. Also I would suggest to set it as a homepage using the long-hold popup.
    Thanks - conveniently I had not closed Chrome down so can load quickly. File:/// does not seem to work, nor using the entire path as show in the attached.

But this is what beta's are about - new discoveries.
    Last edited by F2; 05-19-13 at 06:39 PM.
    05-19-13 06:25 PM
    Just curious as I haven't downloaded your masterpiece yet to try it out, but does it support Adobe Flash? Regardless, thank you for developing this. If we don't get BB10, we're all going to need this...
    05-19-13 06:26 PM
    Just curious as I haven't downloaded your masterpiece yet to try it out, but does it support Adobe Flash? Regardless, thank you for developing this. If we don't get BB10, we're all going to need this...
    Yes. By default, both Flash and JavaScript are enabled. Selecting Booster mode from the menu will disable both of these. In the future release, you will have an option to choose the behavior of Booster mode (e.g. Only disable Flash, only disable JavaScript, or disable both).

Most browse options are tab-specific. So you can have one tab running Flash, while all the other tabs are running without it.

I personally believe the biggest weakness of PlayBook browser is JavaScript execution speed. You will be amazed by how quickly pages load when JavaScript is turned off. Hope this gets fixed in BB10 update!
    nappp and chaosdivine like this.
    05-19-13 06:45 PM
    Oh, I must add - the TRACKPAD is a thing of genius!
    05-19-13 06:56 PM
    OrigamiBrowser - Experimental Release-img_20120356.jpgOh, I must add - the TRACKPAD is a thing of genius!
    05-19-13 07:17 PM
    One (not so) small problem. I can't navigate to accounts/1000/shared/. Anyhow, I got my bookmarks set as my home page by copying the html file to the clipboard folder- which I could navigate to.
    Attached Thumbnails OrigamiBrowser - Experimental Release-img_20130419.jpg  
    openheart44 likes this.
    05-19-13 10:21 PM
936 123 ...