Audible just sent me an email stating they no longer support audible app for blackberry and as an inconvenience they issued 1 credit on my account. Well since I moved to Z10 from my 9900 a month ago, I have no problem getting a free book. Unfortunately they never said in the email that they are working on a new app for BB10. It actually sounded they are not doing it ever. At least Amazon is being honest about it and free book is by no means small thing compering with other companies that would rather ignore BB platform.
    What's your opinion about this?
    05-18-13 10:03 AM
    They have stated this a couple of weeks ago, so it's not really a surprise to me anymore. Still I think they should try to atleast port over their Android app or something

I've just received an email from Audible that, sadly, says it all:

" As you may be aware, the Audible App for Blackberry has been decommissioned, and will no longer function on your device. We value you as an Audible member and are extremely sorry for the inconvenience this has caused.
    As a token of our appreciation for your continued membership, we've placed a credit in your account, useable towards a next book purchase of your choice. This complimentary credit will expire on July 18th, 2013.

You can continue to enjoy your audiobooks on other platforms like Audible Download Manager on your PC, or through our other apps on Kindle, iPhone, Android, and Windows devices. If you have questions about how to use our apps on other devices, or about which alternative device might be best for you, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us at (888) 283-5051.

You can also visit our software page to learn more about our Audible Apps.

Once again, we deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused.

The Audible Team"

Well, imagine an oil company saying they decided not to sell diesel on their gas stations, and they were sorry, and graciously offering one tank of benzine for free to all diesel car owners.
    Edit: Interestingly I just went and googled "Audible blackberry 10" and I found this. It does seem that they were working on one at some point
    Last edited by eldricho; 05-18-13 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Appworld
    05-18-13 10:41 AM
    They're out of the Blackberry business. (the app I am using is for the 9000, tho I'm noW on a 9900)

I tweeted them and Alec Saunders, and he replied "that's a shame. Thanks for letting me know."

I've written them too.
    Last edited by WrightWords; 05-22-13 at 02:17 AM. Reason: changed to Now on 9900 from not
    05-22-13 01:36 AM
    There's been a number of threads on this over the last few weeks and a lot of spilled anger. I received and have used the crumb/bone credit thrown by Audible. I am on the Z10, too, but I still use my 9900 just as an Audible playback device. You have to use Audible Download Manager to get the book and transfer it manually to the 9900 which was running the 9000 version of Audible anyway since they have been phasing out BlackBerry for years now. A credit is better for nothing I guess and nothing is better than the misleading and conflicting statements Audible had been hiding behind. The credit indicates to me that all over squabbling has at least gotten Audible's attention and that they're still interested in selling to us, although they continue to stonewall on why they continue to block the porting of an Android version. So I haven't entirely given up and cancelled my subscription and plan to keep squawking.
    05-22-13 01:57 AM
    Got this e-mail from audible yesterday. My question was simple "are you planing to support BB10 platform in a near future, here is what they said:

Dear Stepien,

Thank you for contacting Audible.com.

I understand you are wondering when the Blackberry 10 will be supported.

Audible is currently working on making all existing devices compatible. While the brand is not new to our service, there is a general interest in consumers like you to convert the entire Blackberry model brand into an Audible supported device. As of right now however, the Blackberry 10 is not Audible ready.

Even though we currently do not have a time frame on its availability, you are always welcome to visit Audible Device Center | Learn About Compatible Devices | iPod, MP3 Players, PDA's, Mobile Phones, GPS Systems | Audible Audiobooks | Audible.com and check our updated models. When a device is made compatible, the manufacturer of the device changes the firmware so that the device can read and play back the .aa file format we use on our website. These .AA files are special encrypted files to insure the copy right law protection we have with our publishers. We are more than willing to support yours and every device; however, the manufacturer of Blackberry 10 has not expressed an interest to make it compatible with our service. Our company actually has aspirations to be compatible with every device on the market and that continues to remain one of our goals.

If we can do anything else for you, please do not hesitate to contact us, we will be happy to help you.

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
    Giovanni

Audible Customer Support
    As to transferring audible files to BB10 the cheapest and easiest way is to burn it to a CD and rip it back in whatever format you want. I've done that many times with iTunes files long time ago when the files were still protected.

Mariusz
    05-31-13 01:37 PM
    Got this e-mail from audible yesterday. My question was simple "are you planing to support BB10 platform in a near future, here is what they said:
    Dear Stepien,

Thank you for contacting Audible.com.

I understand you are wondering when the Blackberry 10 will be supported.

Audible is currently working on making all existing devices compatible. While the brand is not new to our service, there is a general interest in consumers like you to convert the entire Blackberry model brand into an Audible supported device. As of right now however, the Blackberry 10 is not Audible ready. . . . . When a device is made compatible, the manufacturer of the device changes the firmware so that the device can read and play back the .aa file format we use on our website. These .AA files are special encrypted files to insure the copy right law protection we have with our publishers. We are more than willing to support yours and every device; however, the manufacturer of Blackberry 10 has not expressed an interest to make it compatible with our service. Our company actually has aspirations to be compatible with every device on the market and that continues to remain one of our goals.
    Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
    Giovanni

Audible Customer Support
    Close but no cigar Giovanni! Blackberries for years have been able to play Audible .AA files. I still play them on my old 9900, even after audible pulled the online library plug on me and every other BB audible user. It had nothing to do with some change in Audible's file format. I hate these DRM catfights! Audible users pay for their books, so why do they have to make a DRM issue out of it? I've never heard of some black market trade in audible format files. We don't fit the profile! Its nice that Audible aspires to make all devices compatible. The problem is they insist on unconditional surrender before they will assimilate.
    05-31-13 02:02 PM
    I'm starting to think Audible are telling the truth, sure their app has been on Legacy but the app itself plays the audiobooks, I think they want the native media player to play them.
    06-01-13 04:05 AM