I was curious as to what my data "burn rate" was so I purchased a data tracking app and started monitoring. I closed all of my active frames and in 15mins I had about 870 Kb of download traffic.

Unfortunately I had 3 BBM group msgs come in so it's not exactly a perfect test but that turns out to be about 3.5mb/hr downloading from just sitting there idle.

I'm going to try this test again during the night over a longer uninterrupted time frame but just curious what others are getting?

What's your burn rate?

Z10 data burn rate. What's yours?-img_00000466.png
    Z10 data burn rate. What's yours?-img_00000467.png

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 07:24 PM
    This can't be right. This translates to 2.5 gb/month just being idle. I can see why people who are using their BlackBerry normally can burn thru huge amounts of data.

Going on LTE for 5mins or so burned 150k.

What the heck is going on here?!

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 09:29 PM
    I asked why data is so expensive. Is it because the world is running out of data resources like oil is depleting?

Data plans are more expensive than my gas bill at home.

Carriers are crooks.

Posted via CB10
    shivaji likes this.
    05-16-13 09:41 PM
    From the first of this month until now I've used 281 mb data, that is with out 4G, it's actually less data then I used with my S3 so I'm happy with it

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 09:55 PM
    I'm at 1.143 GB with two days left on my monthly usage cycle, and that's with using cellular data during periods where I could have been on wifi. I also used the hotspot for a bit on the last OS leak (locked again for Verizon on .1756). I'm quite pleased with data use so far. If I was paying more attention to my data use I could easily get by with less than 1 GB/month even though I'm on a 2 GB plan right now.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-16-13 10:01 PM
    I use about 2-3 GB a month, sometimes slightly more. But that's because I hotspot a lot in the car. If I don't hotspot, I barely break 1 GB.
    05-16-13 10:08 PM
    I have use 653mb in 16 days of my 3gb plan... I use all time Bbm, fb, twitter, cb and foursquare.

Posted via CB10 on my rocking Zee10
    05-16-13 10:09 PM
    This month I was away for some days without wifi. Tomorrow my plan resets. I have been using my data greatly by talking via Skype, connecting to work (video conferencing) , downloading email from 5 accounts and yet I have consumed just 52% of my data. That is approximately 310 MB. I guess Vodafone Greece is not chewing any data for no reason like other carriers seem to do.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:21 PM
    Man I guess my Z was doing something at the time on WiFi cuz that rate is high to me. I'll test it overnight and I should get a better average.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:07 PM
    Man I guess my Z was doing something at the time on WiFi cuz that rate is high to me. I'll test it overnight and I should get a better average.

Posted via CB10
    When you are on WiFi, the Z10 would do stuff that it won't do on network such as syncing Box, wireless media sync... and who knows maybe sending out diagnostic reports if you consented.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 11:13 PM
    Yeah I realized that as well but driving for 5 mins on LTE ate up 150k doing nothing, what the heck was that about?!

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 12:52 AM
    To put it lightly mine HIGH!

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 01:04 AM
    OP, I haven't viewed your pictures, but the way you are scaling 800KB up is wrong. You can't just assume traffic will be equal 24/7. Your phone has things called background services that use data. The only thing that isn't right is your lack of understanding of what data is. Every email, every picture, every contact that is synced, every BBM, EVERYTHING that involves the Internet in some way no matter how trivial uses data. It has absolutely nothing to do with the phone. If you want to use less data, use less data.
    05-17-13 01:09 AM
    For each of the first 2 months I have used 900 mb of data. On my torch I used about 500mb per month. I use my Z10 WAY more for browsing so it explains the added data usage.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 02:14 AM
    UPDATE: 7hr overnight test uses 2.5mb/hr in my sleep

Z10 data burn rate. What's yours?-img_00000468.png
    Z10 data burn rate. What's yours?-img_00000469.png

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 11:09 AM
    OP, I haven't viewed your pictures, but the way you are scaling 800KB up is wrong. You can't just assume traffic will be equal 24/7. Your phone has things called background services that use data. The only thing that isn't right is your lack of understanding of what data is. Every email, every picture, every contact that is synced, every BBM, EVERYTHING that involves the Internet in some way no matter how trivial uses data. It has absolutely nothing to do with the phone. If you want to use less data, use less data.
    Thanks for your feedback and so I did a more conclusive test last night, 7hrs of zero app usage and all active frames off. I didn't even get an IM or email last night. So averaging the MB usage over 7hr I think is a pretty good approximation, gives us (74.51MB-56.73MB)/7hrs = 2.54MB/hr. Still that gives me a burn rate of 1.83GB/Month (idle)!
    05-17-13 11:16 AM
    VR6,

I am using the same app. The developer has stated that the app is more sensitive than the carrier. I have noticed that after several days the amount of data reported used from the app is higher than the amount reported used from the carrier.
    05-17-13 11:42 AM
    Well you're on wifi, so maybe the device is more liberal with data use. I don't know. Are you sure you aren't syncing anything with Dropbox or Box? Maybe the app is giving incorrect readings. But I can guarantee this is not typical or something you need to worry about based on your tests. I use plenty of data knowingly and have never gone over 800MB in a month.
    05-17-13 11:44 AM
    I am over 2 gb month to date. I had to change my plan from 1 Gb to 3 GB a month, and oddly enough it was cheaper.
    I've had this explained to me as the old blackberry used compressed data, and the BlackBerry 10 is not compressed. So just us using your old average data usage will still come in at a higher rate. Call your carriers and update your plan. I am with rogers small business and I was quite happy with the new plan I got.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 11:49 AM
    I just checked my usage on AT&T ..... 1.282 Gigs with 7 days remaining (so that's about 23 days).

Estimate for 30 days is about 1.7 G per month. (I'm still on grandfathered unlimited plan so I'm really not concerned).

My wife was recently eating up well over 3 G/month on her Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. I downloaded a data monitoring app that also showed usage for each app, etc. We found her email app was eating most of the data. We changed some settings, etc. This month she will be at about 0.3 G/month.

Check your sync levels on accounts (email, contacts, calendar). Mine are set on 30 min. You can adjust this from 5 min up to 24 hours and even manual. I would imagine a sync interval at 5 min would possibly use more data than using a reduced setting (i.e. - 1 hour). This may or may not help ....... not sure.
    05-17-13 12:20 PM
    VR6,

I am using the same app. The developer has stated that the app is more sensitive than the carrier. I have noticed that after several days the amount of data reported used from the app is higher than the amount reported used from the carrier.
    I actually check my provider's stats and they're higher than for Data Check Pros! But thanks I'll keep monitoring this
    05-17-13 01:33 PM
    Well you're on wifi, so maybe the device is more liberal with data use. I don't know. Are you sure you aren't syncing anything with Dropbox or Box? Maybe the app is giving incorrect readings. But I can guarantee this is not typical or something you need to worry about based on your tests. I use plenty of data knowingly and have never gone over 800MB in a month.
    What could I be syncing on Dropbox when I'm sleeping and all active frames are closed and there's no activity on my phone (no overnight IMs, emails)? Thanks for your feedback though I appreciate it. I'm mostly on WiFi at work and home so I'm not worried about going over my data limit. This is more out of curiosity now. What's causing this excess data download rate?
    05-17-13 01:36 PM
    Dropbox files download without the app being open if you scheduled it to and Box automatically uploads pics/videos if you want, no active frame either. And like the other poster said, calendar and email sync times also play a role. I still think it's a little excessive, but there's some explanation. I know I'm not getting data usage anywhere near what you have. Maybe the data monitoring app itself uses data (unlikely though). Whatsapp also uses data behind the scenes and so does BBM. Even if you don't get a message it has to poll for them.
    05-17-13 01:41 PM
    I'm at 2.5/3 GB so far this month. Mine doesn't "burn."
    05-17-13 02:14 PM
    Yep, all good stuff and valid possibilities.

I was also thinking some of my Android sideloaded app may also be using data behind the scenes so I'm going to do a fresh reboot and not load up any Android apps before I test again tonight.
    05-17-13 02:14 PM
44 12