05-16-13 07:51 AM
    This isn't a surprise. The Z10 and Q10 haven't been out long enough to show an impact in market share.
    05-16-13 08:02 AM
    Not really too sure what people expect to happen, instant #3 status on the day of release?? Of course Windows is going to win this battle for a few more months yet, it's available on more devices and through more Manufacturers than BB10 right now, it's also been available for a longer period of time. WIndows' issue is not so much retaining the #3 position but the financial position its major vendor, Nokia, is in. Nokia is still losing substantial amounts of money and the immediate future doesn't look much brighter. Part of their problem is that when they launched their first WPs they went cheap and despite now making some nice phones at the upper end that's not what their customers want to buy, they've been groomed to a certain price point. I can't remember the last time Nokia made money but BlackBerry has only lost money in one or two quarters. BlackBerry makes 3 times the amount of average profit on their devices than Nokia does (this includes legacy handsets and the Z10 but not theQ10) because BlackBerry has marketed to the mid to high end and are moving away from the unprofitable low end, at least in "developed" markets. So, Microsoft can crow all they want but as far as I can see, with the trouble that Nokia's in, I doubt they'll be sitting at #3 too much longer.
    05-16-13 08:04 AM
    Not really too sure what people expect to happen, instant #3 status on the day of release?? Of course Windows is going to win this battle for a few more months yet, it's available on more devices and through more Manufacturers than BB10 right now, it's also been available for a longer period of time. WIndows' issue is not so much retaining the #3 position but the financial position its major vendor, Nokia, is in. Nokia is still losing substantial amounts of money and the immediate future doesn't look much brighter. Part of their problem is that when they launched their first WPs they went cheap and despite now making some nice phones at the upper end that's not what their customers want to buy, they've been groomed to a certain price point. I can't remember the last time Nokia made money but BlackBerry has only lost money in one or two quarters. BlackBerry makes 3 times the amount of average profit on their devices than Nokia does (this includes legacy handsets and the Z10 but not theQ10) because BlackBerry has marketed to the mid to high end and are moving away from the unprofitable low end, at least in "developed" markets. So, Microsoft can crow all they want but as far as I can see, with the trouble that Nokia's in, I doubt they'll be sitting at #3 too much longer.
    +1 Complety agree.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    seacan2 and LordOfFreedom like this.
    05-16-13 08:07 AM
    +100000000000000000000000000000 ......... as many zeroes some body can think of
    05-16-13 08:15 AM
    they'll eat their words once q1 results gets published during the summer Q4 2012 lasted till feb but by then the Z10 hadn't even hit the american market and The results of BB Q� 2012 proved more positive than expected. I for one didn't get my phone untill april So it will show up in q1. Don't know wether to laugh or cry Monday it was some analyst saying that since BB live was now over they didn't see much positve happening to BB. It's a reverse dot.com buble, where there's absolutely no solids
    05-16-13 08:24 AM
    It's one quarter which WP shipped more phones. That's it.

BB still has a larger marketshare and a greater user base ATM. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it develops into a sustained trend. BB10 should stem the tide as it rolls out over more devices in more countries.
    southlander and seacan2 like this.
    05-16-13 08:28 AM
    I thought BBRY was number 3 before? So wp8 had to sell a ton to over take them.
    Residing and Donvald like this.
    05-16-13 08:31 AM
    The most remarkable fact is that Microsoft managed to get only 3.2% of the market, after pushing Windows Phone for 2.5 years.

That says something about how much the Windows Phone experience is loved by the users (despite Nokia's excellent hardware).
    Of course, it doesn't mean that BB10 has a very strong chance to succeed (after all, the Apple - Google duopoly's 92.3% of the market is formidable and almost impossible to beat ), but I believe that, thank God, the pressure from Microsoft is not that great.

I also believe that if Windows Phone would have been made like BB10 (aka BB10 with a Windows label), Microsoft's share of the mobile OS market would have been far larger.
    Last edited by maxdaniels; 05-16-13 at 09:39 AM.
    mankato likes this.
    05-16-13 08:38 AM
    those cheaper Nokia phones are selling quite well it appears. The Q5 will be going up against those and the low cost android phones. Going to be tough.
    05-16-13 08:39 AM
    Maybe they shipped more but BB sold more.

Windows phone oevertakes Blackberry for #3 spot-mobilplattformar-statistik-q1-2013.png
    05-16-13 08:43 AM
    Another one here:

Windows phone oevertakes Blackberry for #3 spot-idc-q1-smartphones.jpg
    05-16-13 08:53 AM
    It's a very close call between WP and BB. I wouldn't judge market share from shipments though. I personally think market share should be based on sales =D
    ardiri, sk8er_tor and seacan2 like this.
    05-16-13 08:59 AM
    Of course, it doesn't mean that BB10 has a very strong chance to succeed (after all, the Apple - Google duopoly's 92.3% of the market is formidable and almost impossible to beat )
    I agree. After a while it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Not enough traction to win developers, not enough developers to win clients.
    05-16-13 09:00 AM
    +1
    Took the words out of my mouth.
    05-16-13 09:04 AM
    BB fans tend to overlook the fact that as BB10 sales ramp up, BB07 sales drop off. The real story here is the Android growth in emerging markets and Apple stalling world wide. To be anything more than a small phone platform BB needs to license it's software .
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    05-16-13 09:11 AM
    The Verge is hipster garbage. Dont go to that site for metrics.....go to it for a bunch of dweeb hipsters finding bizarre criticisms about everything that isnt Apple and Google. While at the same time all trying desperately to be witty....

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 09:12 AM
    The Verge is hipster garbage. Dont go to that site for metrics.....go to it for a bunch of dweeb hipsters finding bizarre criticisms about everything that isnt Apple and Google. While at the same time all trying desperately to be witty....

Posted via CB10
    The verge didn't provide those numbers... they just reported the finding of another firm...

Relax
    aniym, Etios, gsdc and 3 others like this.
    05-16-13 09:15 AM
    The sky is falling!

No need to panic BB is in the position that should be expected with new devices and BB10 recently released and in user hands, and is very very early. The marketshare will probably change a little in the years to come. I believe BB and WP need to battle android to gain more traction and not each other for 'scraps'. Especially since android has such a huge percentage of the world's marketshare.

That says something about how much the Windows Phone experience is loved by the users (despite Nokia's excellent hardware).
    Of course, it doesn't mean that BB10 has a very strong chance to succeed (after all, the Apple - Google duopoly's 92.3% of the market is formidable and almost impossible to beat ), but I believe that, thank God, the pressure from Microsoft is not that great.

I also believe that if Windows Phone would have been made like BB10 (aka BB10 with a Windows label), Microsoft's share of the mobile OS market would have been far larger.
    I disagree that the current marketshare has much to do with the "how much the Windows Phone experience is loved by the users". BB and WP both provide a wonderful and fluid experience. I heart them both, but I also enjoy all the OS's and the experience they all bring. The WP experience, like BB, is wonderful and the experience is usually a positive. We can discuss the lack of traction for WP and BB, and some of the mistakes but in all honesty most people have not really used WP or BB10, and WP7 was never really pushed, and in many cases misinformation was spewed out the mouths of babes. Both OS's are fresh and fluid.
    The marketshare had been set years ago after android became successfull, and especially in the US when Verizon made a HUGE push to compete with AT&T and the iphone. Android devices flooded the gates and when very few people could 'afford' an iphone or AT&T was not an option in the US, android stepped in with very affordable devices and plans. The battle for first was an easy one for android with the push and the direction of pay as you go devices. WP and BB made continue have some hiccups, and to gain marketshare will be tedious for both as the stage had been set. It is silly for anyone to think either of the two OS's will gain HUGE jumps in marketshare. This will be a slow and steady process for both.
    Jacco Paauw likes this.
    05-16-13 09:15 AM
    Wow so in Q1 when the Z10 and Q10 weren't available to a large portion of the world Windows Phone finally beat BlackBerry...... Shocking! Let's see what happens in Q2 and Q3. Enjoy being number 3 for a quarter Windows Phone fans, because it will be very short lived!

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and seacan2 like this.
    05-16-13 09:41 AM
    This isn't a surprise. The Z10 and Q10 haven't been out long enough to show an impact in market share.
    maybe, but they WERE 3rd & now they're not,,, ruh roh...
    gsdc likes this.
    05-16-13 09:48 AM
    EXCUSE ME?

Thats' FIRST QUARTER chart...

Man... Wake up!

- personal opinion.
    05-16-13 09:49 AM
    Another one here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idc-q1-smartphones.jpg 
Views:	2843 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	162208
    interesting,,, i don't usually put much stock in sales/shipment figures,,, i feel they spin 'em depending whoever releasing them, wants to have percieved,,, what i see here tho is: droid up 75%, windows up 133%, BB down 35%,,, on top of that, either 3rd or 4th place is really last, or next to it, considering who's underneath those spots...
    Drew808 and Etios like this.
    05-16-13 09:56 AM
    It's one quarter which WP shipped more phones. That's it.

BB still has a larger marketshare and a greater user base ATM. I wouldn't be too concerned unless it develops into a sustained trend. BB10 should stem the tide as it rolls out over more devices in more countries.
    That's almost always what everyone talking about 'market share' is talking about -- most recent reported quarter. That's how the press does it too.
    05-16-13 09:57 AM
    oh my what to do now.

I hate MS windows 8 on the laptop its a crap OS and why would anyone what that crap on PHONE.

BB all the way
    seacan2 likes this.
    05-16-13 09:58 AM
127 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD