I was thinking about this after RIM introduced the q5 yesterday. Historically RIM has done very well in emerging markets and built up a ton of users and Marketshare from it. My question was why didn't Blackberry build a low cost playbook similar to the q5 for emerging markets. non ipad Tablets didn't start to take off until the Kindle Fire/Nexus 7 going at cheaper prices. It seems that RIM could have had gotten a big chunck of Martketshare with a cheaper version of he playbook similar to the q5.
    05-15-13 09:15 PM
    Because The tablet market is highly saturated especially in budget tablets rim would have barely broken even.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-15-13 10:26 PM
    I was thinking about this after RIM introduced the q5 yesterday. Historically RIM has done very well in emerging markets and built up a ton of users and Marketshare from it. My question was why didn't Blackberry build a low cost playbook similar to the q5 for emerging markets. non ipad Tablets didn't start to take off until the Kindle Fire/Nexus 7 going at cheaper prices. It seems that RIM could have had gotten a big chunck of Martketshare with a cheaper version of he playbook similar to the q5.

They did, its called the playbook.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-15-13 10:33 PM
    Because The tablet market is highly saturated especially in budget tablets rim would have barely broken even.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    But at the time the market wasn't saturated at all. The o lay tablets of note were the iPad, the Xoom, and the playbook, with the touchpad shortly afterward.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    05-15-13 10:39 PM
    The Tablet market is far away from being saturated....
    Who ever believes the contrary should make some research and retract the statement.
    Oh, And that rather quickly before other people see that incredible misunderstanding of sale numbers.

The funny thing is, that the WebOs tablet, and the PlayBook were both aimed to be sold as a low to mid-range device after they flopped salewise
    So in a way it is/was the playbook.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 11:28 PM
    in some emerging market the cheap tablet device are being filled with android based tablet in indonesia etc you can get cheap android tablet china made from 50 - 100 usd ,on the 100 - 200 usd range you can get Acer iconia B1 (140usd) , asus memopad (150usd) , and samsung galaxy tab wifi (199usd). its very hard for BB to give full BB10 experience if they have to sell it below 200usd
    05-15-13 11:36 PM
    Because the original playbook barely sold, and emerging markets don't want tablets. They want phones that can do what they need.
    The reason it's called an emerging market is because they are poorer countries. Most can't afford two devices.
    05-16-13 08:22 AM
    u have to understand nexus 7 and kindle is cheap because they're breaking even on each tablet sold, but they are hoping ppl will buy other product, like books, apps and music after getting the tablet.

i doubt BBRY can afford doing that.
    05-16-13 01:09 PM
    The Playbook was $97 (Costco) at it's lowest point. How much more "emerging markets" can you get?
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-16-13 01:52 PM