I've owned my fair share of smartphones over the years. And I hear a lot of moaning on here about updates. Personally I've owned the phone for just under 3 months and received 3 updates. That is 10 times more than you would on android. And equal or maybe more than the iPhone. And not to mention windows phone. So I know we want things done yesterday lol. But C'mon peeps I'm so impressed. Just wanted to share the positives. What you guys think of how on the button they've been.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG, beamolite, redk and 9 others like this.
    05-15-13 02:56 PM
    I've owned my fair share of smartphones over the years. And I hear a lot of moaning on here about updates. Personally I've owned the phone for just under 3 months and received 3 updates. That is 10 times more than you would on android. And equal or maybe more than the iPhone. And not to mention windows phone. So I know we want things done yesterday lol. But C'mon peeps I'm so impressed. Just wanted to share the positives. What you guys think of how on the button they've been.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 03:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Depends on how much progress is made with each update and not really the number of updates.

Getting the dang things past the carrier to the end user also affects things greatly.

An update is not worth a dam unless the customer has official access to install it.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-15-13 03:13 PM
    So far I have been happy with the updates. Not every update has to be front end stuff and I have noticed with the updates there has been better battery and system performance. So yes I am happy with them. I know others haven't had a good time and I hope stuff gets resolved. But for me they have been what I have expected.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 03:18 PM
    Depends on how much progress is made with each update and not really the number of updates.

Getting the dang things past the carrier to the end user also affects things greatly.

An update is not worth a dam unless the customer has official access to install it.

Tim

I'm talking about BlackBerry not the carriers though. And also things have been improved. Better battery life smoother os hdr camera better low light pictures. Some pretty impressive improvements if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 03:20 PM
    I still think it's a big mistake letting the carriers determine the update timing. Here we sit on T Mobile USA and we here folks overseas getting 10.1 and I am wondering when we are going to get ours???

I feel this should be a global update from the BlackBerry server just like Apple IOS and leave the carriers have there specific updates for their network stuff but at least let us get the major OS10 update instead of sitting here waiting?

I have been very patient so far and have put up with exchanging bad devices because of restart issues, but my patience is wearing thin. BlackBerry should be hammering these carriers to get off their *** and get us the update.

Posted via CB10
    stealthfox likes this.
    05-15-13 03:27 PM
    EE haven't been great with the update schedule.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:07 PM
    EE haven't been great with the update schedule.

Posted via CB10
    I know there slow of the mark. But like I said it's not BlackBerry fault.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 04:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    It wasn't a negative against BlackBerry. I was just pointing out that other providers haven't been as on the ball with the update schedule. BlackBerry have obviously pushed this out to carriers and it's certain carriers letting everything down. For what ever reason we don't know but I personally know EE have been terrible with their BB10 support.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 05:16 PM
    I'm talking about BlackBerry not the carriers though. And also things have been improved. Better battery life smoother os hdr camera better low light pictures. Some pretty impressive improvements if you ask me.

Posted via CB10
    Not here on Verizon. No HDR, no improved low light pictures. It doesn't matter what BlackBerry does if they don't get the thing into the phones.

Tim

SunnyFL likes this.
    05-15-13 05:20 PM
    I agree, they launched an update to improve battery life within a very short time of release and within a few months launched 10.1 which is def not a small update. My hat goes off the blackberry team working their asses off to provide us with a good experience on our phones.
    05-15-13 05:22 PM
    I've been happy with the improvements provided by the updates. Although I am not happy with the carriers hanging on to updates until they see fit to push them. BB has pushed updates to carriers in a timely manner and they have sat on them for 'testing'. OS 10.1 is a perfect example; OPs have posted for about two weeks that places like the Phillipines had the update, tested it and were just waiting to pull the trigger with the rest of the world. Not US carriers. Phones got it; you need to have enough product in place to meet demand. But software O_o
    05-15-13 05:38 PM
    I'm pretty happy as well. Vodafone UK seem very quick at issuing the updates as well. Not as good as ios but better than any other platform I've used. Let's keep it up.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 05:47 PM
    I expect a lot of updates on a new OS, I remember lots of them just after IOS Major updates (3.0, 4.0, 5.0) on my iPod touch .

Posted via CB10 v1.4.2 on my Zed10 10.1.0.273 on Rogers
    05-15-13 05:53 PM
    ..... Personally I've owned the phone for just under 3 months and received 3 updates. That is 10 times more than you would on android....

Posted via CB10
    In defence of Android, it's more to do with the manufacturer + carrier. My HTC Incredible S was updated several times on gingerbread & ICS. That phone was rock solid, but after two years I, like most people, wanted something new.

My Z10 is my first bbry. And it's great.
    Will I rush to update?
    No.
    Let others find fault first.
    I've posted quirks that I've seen with the phone, but nothing that stops me using it all hours of the day.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 06:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Who gave the responsibility of getting the updates into the hands of the users to the carriers?

Do I give a toddler a knife and blame him if he cuts himself when all I wanted him to do was pare his own apple?

We want BlackBerry to succeed. And coming up with excuses for them is not really going to help them move forward.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 06:42 PM
    BlackBerry should be releasing updates on a monthly basis for BlackBerry OS 10.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    05-15-13 08:03 PM
    Who gave the responsibility of getting the updates into the hands of the users to the carriers?

Do I give a toddler a knife and blame him if he cuts himself when all I wanted him to do was pare his own apple?

We want BlackBerry to succeed. And coming up with excuses for them is not really going to help them move forward.

Posted via CB10
    This is common practice... who else pushes updates themselves other than Apple??

Yeah.. from the ZED on CB10
    05-15-13 09:14 PM
    This is common practice... who else pushes updates themselves other than Apple??

Besides apple, we have androids and windows phone (excluding BlackBerry). As far as I know windows phone can be updated independent of carrier if it's unlocked. Can't say so for android cos my wife has not had problems receiving new updates.

In any case, just because everyone else is doing it does not mean that's the right thing to do. It's little surprise many android users are complaining about the same things then (at least with regards to updates). And if BlackBerry wants to be a leader, why should they be following what others are doing when they should be setting a trend?

Like I said I'm FOR BlackBerry, I want them to regain market share. And I think we should be offering them suggestions as to how some problems can be avoided.

Since I'm not a technical person, perhaps someone could chip in and explain why it is more viable/beneficial for our phones to be dependent on carriers?
    05-16-13 12:39 AM
    Android only pushes updates directly to the Nexus phones, and lets the phone manufacturers (Samsung, HTC, LG, etc.) deal with their own updates. And THOSE updates get delayed by carriers all the time.

Less than 25% of all Android users are even using Jellybean 4.1. The number of people using 4.2.2 is even smaller, and there's a lot of phones out there that could run it just fine, but don't, because they're still waiting.
    05-16-13 09:36 AM
    I'll be happy with Blackberry and their updates when they fix the rebooting problem. 10.1 and it still exists, and battery life is worse for me.
    05-16-13 09:54 AM
    Personally I've owned the phone for just under 3 months and received 3 updates.
    Is that necessarily a good thing, constant updates? I remember the time when games were rushed out to meet deadlines and patches/updates followed soon after.

Having said this, some of the updates to the OS is significant. I like remote access

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:49 AM
    Besides apple, we have androids and windows phone (excluding BlackBerry). As far as I know windows phone can be updated independent of carrier if it's unlocked. Can't say so for android cos my wife has not had problems receiving new updates.

In any case, just because everyone else is doing it does not mean that's the right thing to do. It's little surprise many android users are complaining about the same things then (at least with regards to updates). And if BlackBerry wants to be a leader, why should they be following what others are doing when they should be setting a trend?

Like I said I'm FOR BlackBerry, I want them to regain market share. And I think we should be offering them suggestions as to how some problems can be avoided.

Since I'm not a technical person, perhaps someone could chip in and explain why it is more viable/beneficial for our phones to be dependent on carriers?
    What you don't understand is that most manufacturers don't have the power to be able to tell the carrier's 'no' when they demand to test the updates before release. So you wont see BlackBerry have that kind of power for quite some time. As far as I know Apple is one of the only ones that had the power to say no to the carrier's on a large scale relating to bypassing carrier testing.

Sounds like some android products have started to be able to get that allowed as well.. BlackBerry needs more market share because they had the power to make it happen...

05-16-13 01:28 PM
    What you don't understand is that most manufacturers don't have the power to be able to tell the carrier's 'no' when they demand to test the updates before release.
    Ok now I get it. Thanks
    05-17-13 01:04 AM