Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 09:59 AM
    Super Thrilled!!! Are you?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:00 AM
    This is great news - but WhatsApp has such a massive cross platform installed user base it won't be the end for it.
    bluetroll likes this.
    05-14-13 10:01 AM
    I think it will be a while before I convince my boyfriend and other friends to jump on it, but I really hope it catches on. But I also hope it won't hurt BlackBerry, since I know many people like the device mainly for BBM.
    05-14-13 10:02 AM
    Don't think it's the end of WhatsApp, but the WhatsApp guys probably just went, "oh **** - serious competition"
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-14-13 10:05 AM
    Where do you get this information from?
    Makes sense. An IM network has strong network effects, and BlackBerry realized that as users left BB for other platforms BBM was becoming less of a draw. Besides, features like Channels (isn't that equivalent to Twitter?) are only useful if anyone can experience it, not just BB users.
    bluetroll likes this.
    It wont take long for people on other platforms to jump on BBM. Many are former BlackBerry users who still remember the good old days of BBM and have wanted it, but didn't want to leave their platform of choice. The user base will grow rapidly
    Berry_Pink and john_v like this.
    Osum news

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:06 AM
    BTW - it's not the end of WhatsApp, but it is additional competition in a space that already has formidable competitors: Facebook Messenger, Live Messenger, GTalk (soon to be Babel) etc.
    notfanboy likes this.
    05-14-13 10:07 AM
    Where do you get this information from?
    TH just announced it in his keynote address.
    05-14-13 10:09 AM
    Good news for those wielding a second phone just for bbm.

Shows their immense confidence for BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk
    05-14-13 10:09 AM
    Just an amazing announcement downloading already bbm channels and can't wait for the new cross platform bbm. BlackBerry its here and it will rock your mind

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:10 AM
    So people keep saying "already downloading BB channels beta, how? I want to try it out. Ive seen no post on directions on how to get it, yet the BB site says its not released until later this summer? Confused, any further knowledge of this would be greatly appreciated.
    05-14-13 10:19 AM
    It won't be the instant end of WhatsApp as it'll take a while to chip away at their established base. However they have the potential to become way more than WhatsApp if they can integrate features like BBM video and screen share quickly and before others do. Make BBM more than just an instant messaging client...make it a communication client.
    05-14-13 10:19 AM
    I think it is very smart move! As Adam said, way overdue! More people using BBM across different platforms, bigger exposure to a Blackberry it would be. At some point, if people like it, they will consider to switch to BB. Think, it is like advertizing, have it on your phone and use it everyday get you think of BB when time will come to get new phone. Over all , once again it is great, BOLD and very programmatic move!
    05-14-13 10:30 AM
    Some ppl and corporates only bought BB for BBM.. kiss goodbye to that now!
    05-14-13 10:30 AM
    So people keep saying "already downloading BB channels beta, how? I want to try it out. Ive seen no post on directions on how to get it, yet the BB site says its not released until later this summer? Confused, any further knowledge of this would be greatly appreciated.
    www.blackberry.com/bbm/channels
    waltervh and Berry_Pink like this.
    05-14-13 10:34 AM
    dumb post. sorry.

They buy BB for security and control.
    Dave Bourque and bloodyrek like this.
    05-14-13 10:34 AM
    This is a pretty big deal...
    05-14-13 10:36 AM
    I look forward to seeing all of the BlackBerry faithful change their tune. We've already seen countless amounts of people nonstop saying BBM should stay exclusive to BlackBerry over the years. Me personally, I'm just excited that I might actually have contacts on BBM again.
    05-14-13 10:37 AM
    Ha, this isn't 2008 anymore. BBM hasn't been a competitive edge in years. If it was, than why are there so many people on this forum reporting that they don't have any BBM contacts anymore?
    devin266 likes this.
    05-14-13 10:40 AM
    This is good news. About time.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    john_v and bobauckland like this.
    05-14-13 10:41 AM
    "This Summer", I suppose they have a deadline to miss now.
    05-14-13 10:47 AM
    Where are all the users who said bbm should remain exclusive and how making bbm cross platform would undermine bb10 mobiles? I'm sure I heard them... Where have they gone? Is this more of a sign that BB has been forced to be less exclusive due to the changing market and shrinking bbm user base? Is this free for other platforms or is there a charge? And what are the advantages of bbm over whatsapp viber and all the rest? Security?
    05-14-13 10:51 AM
50 12