So obviously, as crackberry addicts, we LOVE BBM... but lets be honest.. its dying off.. I have two contacts who I speak to on a regular basis on it..

So Ive been sitting on this idea since before BB10 launch about how BBRY could help breathe new life into BBM.. effectively pulling a bait and switch to get users back onto the service, and then back onto BBOS

1) Make it cross platform.

2) Offer a free, ad supported, limited featured version (such as no group function)
    *ad support means revenues

2) Offer a paid, ad-free version which operates like the full version of BBM (groups, BBM Voice, BBM Video(?) )
    * this is where they could get creative, they could leave out video and screen share for non-BB users, as an added incentive to use a BB10 device and not settle for the cross platform solution while also making revenue on the app on iOS and Android.

3) Leave the app in iOS and Play stores for a good amount of time.. Maybe 2 years.. to givesa chance to old BB users (and lets be honest, weren't all smartphone users a BlackBerry user at one point?) to get it and get RE-addicted to BBM...

4) Cut service to non-BB users, remove the app from their respective stores and restore BBM as a BlackBerry only feature.. hopefully enticing non-BB users to switch back to BB at their next upgrade cycle to get back in the action and have a FULL featured BBM.

Am I dreaming or would this be a smart, cut throat move that would make the BlackBerry name relevant again in the mind of millions of iSheep and Samsun/Android *****?
    05-13-13 04:47 PM
    Well if microsoft is willing to do it with skype, why not share BBM. Personally I think it would be a good move.
    05-13-13 04:55 PM
    Microsoft can aford to take the gamble with skype but bbry cant with bbm and what is to say the other platforms will even agree to allow bbm on there os's
    05-13-13 05:06 PM
    Microsoft can aford to take the gamble with skype but bbry cant with bbm and what is to say the other platforms will even agree to allow bbm on there os's
    Well no other platform has a feasible cross platform messaging service and they might see it as a good thing to take away some share from whatsapp in an attempt to dilute their market presence.
    05-13-13 05:24 PM
    Agreed. Bbm will lose its importance in near future.

The big reason why it's so popular is cheap bis subscription.

Push mail no longer is. Apps never is.

Learn from palm. Don't step into the wrong direction and fades away.

Thank you and Welcome
    05-13-13 07:19 PM
    BBM is dying at warp speed.
    BBRY do something cause I have 4 contacts (but they send me messages through out Whatsapp) and the rest is just "red X" (means they had BB but they moved away)
    I am fan of BBRY phones but BBRY keeps disappointing in software.
    Move faster!!!!
    Z10 User
    05-13-13 07:32 PM
    The only choice really is to make BBM cross platform. As it is, most new BB users coming on to BB10 can't even use it because none of their friends have a BB, or likely don't know anybody who owns a BB. Providing an integrated cross-platform messenger is a good way to provide value to BBM, giving it an unmatched integration with BB handsets. If the platform took off and was widely used like whatsapp it would definitely give way for BB to exploit the advantages of such a tight integration while at the same time getting revenue from non-BB subscriptions to the service. NOBODY buys a BB for BBM, and NOBODY would get rid of their BB if it didn't have BBM. People need to look at it for what it is. It's a tool. and a tool is only as useful the task it's trying to do. If you're trying to message people with a messaging app, but can't because you don't have any contacts, it kind of makes it useless. And NO if Blackberry holds off and keeps it just for BB handsets there will not be a resurgence of people coming back to BB or BBM.

The ship has sailed, time to open it up and really make into something. Make it into a social network, similar to Facebook or twitter. Make it cross-platform, somewhere where people can have groups, share photos, collaborate on work projects through groups, sharing files, etc. There is a bunch of potential for Blackberry to capitalize on this aspect. An aspect that doesn't necessarily take the advantage away from BB's own handsets.
    grevan88 likes this.
    05-13-13 09:47 PM
    No free ad supported version, just charge a $5 subscription or something. Leave a feature or two as BB only, screenshare for example. But it is definitely time it went crossplatform. BlackBerry has a solid offering here and can compete with devices, BBM is a strong messaging service but I do not ever use it for the sole fact that I do not know anyone with a BlackBerry yet. Make it a showcase app, throw lots at it and make it shine, show off what BlackBerry can do and it will draw users back.

And no DO NOT remove it once there, thats just...... wrong.
    05-14-13 12:36 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ng-bbm-805543/

This is a thread in the main section, that covers this one perfectly.
    It also came to the same conclusions, as this one, except for the last part.

I do not think that it is useful to cut the service in 3-5 years. BlackBerry's Marketshare will probably not be big enough, when they make this turnaround story with QNX true.

Also, 5$ is way too much. Comparisons to Line and WhatsApp do not justify that move.

The Ad supported version should have some features left out.

A desktop client should be made. BBM could be a great tool for corporate use, as a messenger for internal communications.
    Include it, if the enterprise uses BES, and sell it as a standalone client to the rest of the business world.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 12:50 AM
    Premium app premium price. BBM still has a lot of positive connotations associated with it. I don't see it being beneficial without a price. Desktop client should happen and should be free but the mobile offerings, people will pay.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:35 AM
    Personally I think BB10 is mediocre at best. Some of the most basic features are missing (ie being able to dial a number direct from the browser, i mean C'mon, how the he'll could they miss that). My device has only reboot 3-4 times since I got it in Feb, but my iPhone never rebooted in 3 years!! BlackBerry support is atrocious.

I don't care if most of the bugs are ironed out with 10.1. The fact is that they took soooo long to release an OS to compete with iOS and Android and these issues never should have been released in any version of BB10. Did they not have any beta testers experience these issues prior to releasing the product?
    I dunno, in my opinion they have not released anything special to displace the iOS and Android market.
    When ppl ask me how I like the Z10, i tell them to get an iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 03:52 AM
    Oops, posted on the wrong thread... my bad.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 04:00 AM
    You cant give bbm to other platforms.. example herebin the asia pacific alot of people carry 2 phones because they cant afford to lose their bbm contacts. If you give bbm to the other devices thats like handing over your crown on a silver platter.

Posted via CB10
    Mohsen Pejgaleh likes this.
    05-14-13 04:06 AM
    On the contrary..
    If you got a great phone. And your BlackBerry Messenger can port to other platform or even computer. You will rather choose BlackBerry cause its not only a better business platform as well as convenience.

BlackBerry 10 is way better than android and I phone in terms for work. It's a smartphone that score high points in terms of mobility and business usability . Flow and multitasking is superb. Messages rearrange them self. So you can scroll down without ride. Scroll left and right etc. Very well thought.

The value of real BlackBerry phone should not rely with bbm or push mail or applications. Rather a full business solution. A great and the best mobile business companion.

Any thing bbm can do. Alot of other program can And people have no choice but to download their cross platform. Kaokao. Line WhatsApp. Viber, skype. But what if. BlackBerry Messenger offer land line call like skype. Offer their own Facebook or tweeter type service instead of the silly broadcast or group which hogs the bandwidth. That would create a strong community like we chat. Kaokao. What if BlackBerry map have a bbm and foursquare type integration? And it will be successful simply because BlackBerry have a strong subscription base.

With this unified codes. Superior battery life. Better codes.

Another idea is to be able to port other platform to bbm. Would be pretty cool.

What if people are forced to download BlackBerry? Or buy BlackBerry 10 phone because BlackBerry can?

Thank you and Welcome
    Last edited by nuke99; 05-14-13 at 06:31 AM.
    05-14-13 05:02 AM
    On the contrary..
    BlackBerry 10 is way better than android and I phone in terms for work. It's a smartphone that score high points in terms of mobility and business usability . Flow and multitasking is superb. Messages rearrange them self. So you can scroll down without ride. Scroll left and right etc. Very well thought.
    Thank you for your great sense of humor.
    05-14-13 10:09 AM
    Booya

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:13 AM
    Looks like we got what we hoped for...

My only concern is that they plan to make the cross platform app fully featured and free...

I'm curious as to why they chose that route..

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 10:17 AM
    But who will buy a blackberry when BBM is available on iOS and Android ?
    05-14-13 10:33 AM
    But who will buy a blackberry when BBM is available on iOS and Android ?
    Anyone with a brain?

I didn't buy a BlackBerry for BBM. BBM is wasted in Australia.

I bought a BlackBerry because of the plethora of elite features that have over the other platforms.

BB10 makes your phone a Mobile-Computer. It is not a Smart-Phone, but the step above it.

Blackberry Faithful - #TeamBlackBerry
    HotFix and Davidro1 like this.
    05-14-13 11:08 AM
    It's smart because it'll allow corporate users more incentive to use their BlackBerry as their primary device since they can BBM everyone on it. Just sweetens the pot for existing BlackBerry users.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:16 AM
    Imagine how many people will stay on BlackBerry because they have a new, re populated contact list on BBM. Rather than them getting a new phone, they will stay with BB.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 02:43 PM
    The fact that BlackBerry are confident that their new at form can stand aside from BBM and still be on its feet is a massive vote of confidence.

A vote of confidence that I applaud so very much.

05-14-13 03:10 PM
    Exactly

They now have to be forced to download BlackBerry Messenger if they want to reach out

Though this move is a bit too late. Should have done before Whatsapp got very popular

Thank you and Welcome
    05-14-13 08:10 PM
    Anyone with a brain?

I bought a BlackBerry because of the plethora of elite features that have over the other platforms.

BB10 makes your phone a Mobile-Computer. It is not a Smart-Phone, but the step above it.

Thanks again for stating the obvious to the terminally clueless. It's pretty clear that a gaggle of paid trolls have been told to post whatever garbage they can in a attempt to minimize today's announcements. Way to go BB, your back and leading global again. Now don't lose it this time.
    Brutal Efficiency likes this.
    05-14-13 08:24 PM
    Anyone with a brain?

Double post
    05-14-13 08:24 PM
26 12