Hi folks,

I was wondering what people's experiences have been switching off LTE, and running the Z10 on HSPA. From a performance perspective, it seems like HSPA meets my performance needs (twitter, streaming audio, and messaging), so I'm curious if the battery improvement one could expect from turning off LTE would be substantial or not. A 10-15% improvement is irrelevant to me; my battery already lasts more than a day, if however we're talking about a 30-50% improvement, I'm interested, since that's fewer charge cycles on the battery.

So anyone that has switched LTE off, how substantially did it improve battery life on your Z10? What were you getting before/after?

Thanks!
    Scott
    05-11-13 11:23 AM
    it all depends on how strong your LTE coverage is, and how much you are using the device.

I personally keep my phone on H+ because my LTE coverage at work is spotty.
    05-11-13 02:00 PM
    Same here. I am on the road a lot so my LTE coverage varies drastically. I leave it on H+ as well and don't worry about the drain.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 03:00 PM
    I bought the spare battery bundle. LTE all the time, everytime.

Black Tie Z10
    05-11-13 03:08 PM
    I bought the spare battery bundle. LTE all the time, everytime.

Black Tie Z10
    As of now, there are certain areas I travel to that do not have a strong LTE signal. Which means my reception quality is compromised. I do not have this issue anywhere with H+.

For me the lack of reception with LTE is not worth the trade off. Once LTE becomes more established, it might be a different story.

In addition I do not see a substantial increase in browsing speeds with LTE.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 04:30 PM
    I live in Nova Scotia and LTE isn't all that great here yet with Rogers. I've turned it off and see a huge difference in battery life. I've almost doubled my battery life.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 05:59 PM
    H+ here. I do see a difference in battery drain, although I can't quantify it. For most purposes, even streaming Pandora, H+ is all I need.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 06:56 PM
    So far it's about 20-30% better on 4G vs LTE. I usually keep the LTE off now.

Hoping the 10.1 upgrade will make the LTE less of a power hog but who knows.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 07:12 PM
    If you live in Manhattan NYC then you get LTE 24/7.

Posted via CB10 (BB Z10 : BLK)
    05-11-13 07:15 PM
    I live in a large city in the US with excellent LTE coverage and my battery life is really good - no drain.
    05-11-13 07:31 PM
    Hi folks,

I was wondering what people's experiences have been switching off LTE, and running the Z10 on HSPA. From a performance perspective, it seems like HSPA meets my performance needs (twitter, streaming audio, and messaging), so I'm curious if the battery improvement one could expect from turning off LTE would be substantial or not. A 10-15% improvement is irrelevant to me; my battery already lasts more than a day, if however we're talking about a 30-50% improvement, I'm interested, since that's fewer charge cycles on the battery.

So anyone that has switched LTE off, how substantially did it improve battery life on your Z10? What were you getting before/after?

Thanks!
    Scott
    As with any radio usage, the stronger and more consistent the signal, the less drain on the battery. Think of it like asking your friend to get you a pop from the fridge.

If you ask him once and there is soda in the fridge....it's all good.

If you ask him multiple times, and the fridge doesn't have cola in it, he will just be wasting energy.

So, all you can do is try it out yourself for a week......keep LTE off then on, and see which you prefer.
    05-11-13 07:35 PM
    I don't know about LTE vs H+ but I'll say one thing about H+ vs GSM battery consumption. The difference is like day and night.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 08:20 PM
    I am on HSPA+ (shows as 4G) and the battery lasts a day with regular usage. The standby and calling alone lasts over 48 hours. However heavy browsing makes me recharge by around 3 PM. I.e. After fully charging it at 8am.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 10:51 PM
    My battery life sucks so bad I've resorted to turning off Data. If I do that my battery goes all day. If I don't, 4 hrs max.

I just got a new battery too. Thought the old one was a bad one. Turns out it wasn't.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 10:54 PM
    My battery life sucks so bad I've resorted to turning off Data. If I do that my battery goes all day. If I don't, 4 hrs max.

I just got a new battery too. Thought the old one was a bad one. Turns out it wasn't.

Posted via CB10
    If you are interested in solving your battery life issue just give this guide a read.

Http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=8362859

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 12:41 AM
    I did some non scientific testing. Search for average 24 hour use to read my results. I'll be keeping lte on as well as wifi.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 01:10 AM