I am not sure whether this is the right forum to post this in, if not please move it to the appropriate forums.

I have been a Blackberry User ever since the 8320 Curve and upgraded 4 times to be at the Bold 9900 and hoping to afford the Z10 in the very near future. I am upset and disgusted with U.S. companies that offer apps for mobile devices and keep Blackberry and in the background forcing Blackberry users to switch, which in turn hurts Blackberry all the way around. A good friend of mine in another state actually a few states away from me I turned onto Blackberry when I had the 8320. He did all the upgrades as well to get to the Bold 9900. I hadn't spoken to him in quite some time so I gave him a call and we talked a bit and then asked him if he was going to get the Z10, as this was before the release. I was told no that he bought a droid phone by another vendor, and he went on to tell me all the features and things that he can do with it that he couldn't do with the blackberry. His biggest concern of them all were the apps that he can use now that he couldn't before, so I thought about it and he is exactly right.

Everywhere you go anymore, you see ads, qr codes etc that say download our mobile app, followed by the same (on average) 3 icons.

1. IPHONE
    2. IPAD
    3. DROID
    4. WINDOWS (every now and then)
    5. Blackberry (Hardly Ever)

Now I am not talking about games, but actual apps and am just tired of the Companies in the U.S. forgetting about, leaving out, or just straight up snubbing the Blackberry. A few good examples of this are the following:

1. I get my hair cut at a local place in columbus ohio call GREAT CLIPS. They have an app that you can use to make your reservations and it will let you know when it is your turn etc. This is great, but the problem is that the support is only for Droid, Iphone, Ipad and Windows. You would think they would have a Blackberry app for busy businessmen that have Blackberry's.

2. I would love to file a Law suit against another company (because this still might happen I will not mention names) but their web based service worked fine on all blackberry devices. After the Playbook was released they refuse to allow any Blackberry device to use the service, but ads all over the place say any device, anywhere without any fine print stating Blackberry was not allowed. If the service worked before the playbook release why stop allowing access afterwords? It was like they were paid off to not allow Blackberry devices.

3. This was I thought a good thing til I tried it. One of our local radio stations mentioned on air to download our app and you can listen to our feed, and other things with their app. They also mentioned that the app was available for Iphone, Ipad, Droid and Blackberry. Guess what I got excited and went to Blackberry App world and did a search and come to my dismay there was no app. Now this was done with my Bold 9900. Now I said hmm maybe it never made to Blackberry App World and did a search and there it was, the link for the app in Blackberry App World, but when I click on the link and Blackberry App World Opened up it said the app was not compatible with my device. So I grabbed my old 8900, inserted my sim card and waited for it to start up, went to Blackberry App World and wham mo, it worked like a charm. So I put my sim card back into my 9900 and went to the link that said the device was not supported and clicked on support and asked them when were they coming out with an OS7 and possibly the OS 10 (switching to Z10) version of the app. The response I got was something to the effect of their clients no longer want to pursue further development and the app may still work on some devices, it is no longer supported. So I got on the phone with the radio station to find out if it was their call or someone above them to see what we need to do to get further development done. I was even willing to write the simple app for them, but was turned down.

I don't believe that the financial issues that RIM (Now Blackberry) has are due to their own fault. I think that there is really no other phone that can compare to the OVERALL standards of a Blackberry (Hardware), what is hurting Blackberry financially are all these companies just out casting them. Whether it is a conspiracy, companies being paid off not to develop apps, etc, that is what is hurting Blackberry. It doesn't take that much more effort to make a Blackberry App than to make a Droid App. Actually depending on the app, it would be best to write it for Blackberry and then easily convert it to Droid.

This is my 2 cents worth and think that if these companies did or would add Blackberry to their supported devices, I don't think Blackberry would have any financial issues. I don't know much about politics, but if someone could sniff out the truth and find out if these companies are being paid by Apple or any other affected parties not to make a Blackberry app, that would be awesome. It is everywhere you go and turn, Iphone, Ipad, Droid. Where the hell is Blackberry in their equations?

Shawn Mulligan
    05-10-13 09:57 PM
    i know that feel bro, right there with you
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    05-10-13 10:38 PM
    Soon enough the app problem will get better until then...Keep telling your self you have no need for 800 000 apps.

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-10-13 10:43 PM
    I think once you upgrade you'll find more app options.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 11:01 PM

I don't believe that the financial issues that RIM (Now Blackberry) has are due to their own fault.
    Wow, do you really feel that way? I mean really?

So whose fault is it that the Storm 9530 was RIM's answer to the iPhone? Who is to blame for the PlayBook? I mean that launched as RIM's answer to the iPad and it couldn't even do Email for many months after its release. Please enlighten me, who caused the years of delays for BlackBerry 10?

BTW, "Droid" is the name of a Verizon Wireless exclusive line of Android-based smartphones. It is nothing more than a stupid marketing term that Verizon actually paid Lucas for the rights to use. Hopefully Disney will take the word "Droid" away from Verizon, just so people like you will stop using it incorrectly.

Refering to Android as "Droid" is as incorrect as refering to all BlackBerry devices as "Curve" or "Bold" would be.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    05-10-13 11:10 PM
    Is this a joke? Making apps costs money. Lots of money. It's not s conspiracy. It's the fact that over the past few years BlackBerry has dropped in popularity so these businesses didn't want to spend money to support a phone that fewer and fewer people were using. BlackBerry's problems are nobody's fault but their own. Hopefully with the new direction they are going it will improve along with the apps but to think apple called your local radio station and paid them off to not create an app for BlackBerry is ludicrous.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    05-10-13 11:15 PM
    There is a colour chart about halfway down the linked page:

Android and iOS Combine for 91.1% of the Worldwide Smartphone OS Market in 4Q12 and 87.6% for the Year, According to IDC

Just stare at it for a minute.

Blackberry is the black band. No conspiracy is necessary to explain your observations.
    05-10-13 11:30 PM
    Is this a joke? Making apps costs money. Lots of money. It's not s conspiracy. It's the fact that over the past few years BlackBerry has dropped in popularity so these businesses didn't want to spend money to support a phone that fewer and fewer people were using. BlackBerry's problems are nobody's fault but their own. Hopefully with the new direction they are going it will improve along with the apps but to think apple called your local radio station and paid them off to not create an app for BlackBerry is ludicrous.

I don't know why this fact eludes people.

OP, go back, and give them a written quote and notarized documents letting them know that not only will you write the app, you'll cover maintenance, server fees, publishing fees, updates, developer registration fees and more. The entire cost of the app... conservative time frame... 3 years. Shouldn't be more than the low six figures.

I promise they'll take you up on it.
    05-10-13 11:37 PM
    Ok where to start. Java based os systems are a pain to develop for. Let alone the 10 different screen ratios all the different devices come with.
    App world started launching for ios and android and blackberrys response was seriously "it's not a threat"

The app ecosystems were getting larger by the day a d mike and Jim were ignoring the outside world. It wasn't until Thor got into office and really put the blinders on with all focus on bb10 to get it out.

Rim was never great to developers so that alone pushed them away but also the legacy os couldn't run the apps the way they were meant to ran.

Now because of the app ecosystem being minimal and users rapidly depleting they are not the focus of major mobile market share anymore. So if they are losing people left and right why spend time and effort in an app that will possibly die with the brand.

I understand your frustration and it is a catch 22 that apps make a phone great but a phone needs to be great to get apps but it's not the devs. Remember blackberry did this to themselves for trying to swim against the tide while everyone else was laying on the sandy shore.

It sucks but it is a product of their own doings

Sent using Tapatalk
    05-10-13 11:42 PM
    I think there is a conspiracy to create a conspiracy.

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    Attached Thumbnails Conspiracy To Keep Blackberry Out Of The U.S. Market-uploadfromtaptalk1368247720877.jpg  
    05-10-13 11:48 PM
    I can't believe people actually liked the op's conspiracy. It's a shame that we live on a planet where it's cool to blame everyone except those responsible...

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    05-10-13 11:53 PM
    verizon rushed Blackberry into rushing the Storm to market, as they needed a touch device to attempt to combat the iphone at another carrier.
    05-10-13 11:56 PM
    I love tin foil suits.
    I think that they are way more practical than tin foil hats.

Like that, the Apple Reality Distortion Field, and their iPhone brainwave override stimulation microwave, cannot reach you.

I do not go outside without it anymore.

Posted via CB10
    Chris Marsch and JeepBB like this.
    05-10-13 11:56 PM
    verizon rushed Blackberry into rushing the Storm to market, as they needed a touch device to attempt to combat the iphone at another carrier.
    Blackberry should have grew a pair, and told vzw "we'll release the Storm when it's ready".

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-11-13 12:08 AM
    No but the company that created the app, creates app for nothing but radio stations(their niche), could have some incentive for dropping the blame on the radio station. Was it Apple prolly not. I am a developer myself, it is almost a 5 minute process to convert a Blackberry app over to the android market, with little to no code changes(depending on app). So it's not a cost issue unless you are creating it from scratch. The app is already there, why out of no where not support it? I also just found out that the radio station is not in charge of the decision that it is the network that supposedly made the changes to not support it. A radio station network that has 100's of stations and loyal listners across the U.S., why would you support all the others and not Blackberry? I could see if you decided not to support any that would be one thing, but to single out only Blackberry??

05-11-13 12:57 AM
    That is part of my point. Why is it that way? If the corporations would of made their apps for blackberry as well then people would have a reason to keep them and not switch to another phone. I would love to write an app for Great Clips, but I would need access to their backend / apis. Are they going to give that up? what if I found away around some of these companies and started writing apps, could I be sued by them because they didn't give me permission? This is what I am saying and it is from the getgo, this is something that has happened over time,I understand it wasn't all at once but when you see ads for downloading mobile apps and everyone is mentioned but Blackberry why?
    05-11-13 01:01 AM
    That is crazy talk. First off I am not talking about an enterprise app. I am talking about an app that use the built in media player with a link to their freely available .pls file and putting a skin on it. It is a 10 minute app without bells and whistles. You set it and forget. The only maintenance for it would be when a major os comes out that affects the skin or the way the media player works.
    05-11-13 01:05 AM
    That is part of my point. Why is it that way? If the corporations would of made their apps for blackberry as well then people would have a reason to keep them and not switch to another phone. I would love to write an app for Great Clips, but I would need access to their backend / apis. Are they going to give that up? what if I found away around some of these companies and started writing apps, could I be sued by them because they didn't give me permission? This is what I am saying and it is from the getgo, this is something that has happened over time,I understand it wasn't all at once but when you see ads for downloading mobile apps and everyone is mentioned but Blackberry why?
    Companies are not obligated to support BlackBerry.

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    05-11-13 01:06 AM
    So the conspiracy involves developers refusing to make apps for a 4 month old platform, of which no sales figures have been announced, and only making apps for the other 91% marketshare that's existed for almost 6 years. There's also a conspiracy that game developers are only making ps3 and xbox 360 games and not neo geo.
    05-11-13 03:18 AM
    You know why dude. The real question is why everyone else can figure it out but you?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Drew808 likes this.
    05-11-13 05:46 AM
    I am not sure whether this is the right forum to post this in, if not please move it to the appropriate forums.

I have been a Blackberry User ever since the 8320 Curve and upgraded 4 times to be at the Bold 9900 and hoping to afford the Z10 in the very near future. I am upset and disgusted with U.S. companies that offer apps for mobile devices and keep Blackberry and in the background forcing Blackberry users to switch, which in turn hurts Blackberry all the way around. A good friend of mine in another state actually a few states away from me I turned onto Blackberry when I had the 8320. He did all the upgrades as well to get to the Bold 9900. I hadn't spoken to him in quite some time so I gave him a call and we talked a bit and then asked him if he was going to get the Z10, as this was before the release. I was told no that he bought a droid phone by another vendor, and he went on to tell me all the features and things that he can do with it that he couldn't do with the blackberry. His biggest concern of them all were the apps that he can use now that he couldn't before, so I thought about it and he is exactly right.

Everywhere you go anymore, you see ads, qr codes etc that say download our mobile app, followed by the same (on average) 3 icons.

1. IPHONE
    2. IPAD
    3. DROID
    4. WINDOWS (every now and then)
    5. Blackberry (Hardly Ever)

Now I am not talking about games, but actual apps and am just tired of the Companies in the U.S. forgetting about, leaving out, or just straight up snubbing the Blackberry. A few good examples of this are the following:

1. I get my hair cut at a local place in columbus ohio call GREAT CLIPS. They have an app that you can use to make your reservations and it will let you know when it is your turn etc. This is great, but the problem is that the support is only for Droid, Iphone, Ipad and Windows. You would think they would have a Blackberry app for busy businessmen that have Blackberry's.

2. I would love to file a Law suit against another company (because this still might happen I will not mention names) but their web based service worked fine on all blackberry devices. After the Playbook was released they refuse to allow any Blackberry device to use the service, but ads all over the place say any device, anywhere without any fine print stating Blackberry was not allowed. If the service worked before the playbook release why stop allowing access afterwords? It was like they were paid off to not allow Blackberry devices.

3. This was I thought a good thing til I tried it. One of our local radio stations mentioned on air to download our app and you can listen to our feed, and other things with their app. They also mentioned that the app was available for Iphone, Ipad, Droid and Blackberry. Guess what I got excited and went to Blackberry App world and did a search and come to my dismay there was no app. Now this was done with my Bold 9900. Now I said hmm maybe it never made to Blackberry App World and did a search and there it was, the link for the app in Blackberry App World, but when I click on the link and Blackberry App World Opened up it said the app was not compatible with my device. So I grabbed my old 8900, inserted my sim card and waited for it to start up, went to Blackberry App World and wham mo, it worked like a charm. So I put my sim card back into my 9900 and went to the link that said the device was not supported and clicked on support and asked them when were they coming out with an OS7 and possibly the OS 10 (switching to Z10) version of the app. The response I got was something to the effect of their clients no longer want to pursue further development and the app may still work on some devices, it is no longer supported. So I got on the phone with the radio station to find out if it was their call or someone above them to see what we need to do to get further development done. I was even willing to write the simple app for them, but was turned down.

I don't believe that the financial issues that RIM (Now Blackberry) has are due to their own fault. I think that there is really no other phone that can compare to the OVERALL standards of a Blackberry (Hardware), what is hurting Blackberry financially are all these companies just out casting them. Whether it is a conspiracy, companies being paid off not to develop apps, etc, that is what is hurting Blackberry. It doesn't take that much more effort to make a Blackberry App than to make a Droid App. Actually depending on the app, it would be best to write it for Blackberry and then easily convert it to Droid.

This is my 2 cents worth and think that if these companies did or would add Blackberry to their supported devices, I don't think Blackberry would have any financial issues. I don't know much about politics, but if someone could sniff out the truth and find out if these companies are being paid by Apple or any other affected parties not to make a Blackberry app, that would be awesome. It is everywhere you go and turn, Iphone, Ipad, Droid. Where the hell is Blackberry in their equations?

Shawn Mulligan
    Your hypothesis might make a good premise for a Grisham type of legal thriller in Hollywood. In the real world? Not so much. Sometimes you have to look within before assuming it's the outside force that's causing the almost downfall of BlackBerry.
    MarsupilamiX and JeepBB like this.
    05-11-13 06:10 AM
    If you look at the stock market and the number of people shorting the BlackBerry stock you know why they want to bring BlackBerry down. They come out with lies all the time about returns, not selling, production cuts etc. BlackBerry is the front runner in the enterprise world and I mean real enterprise where security, dependability and efficiency matter and if companies are not developing apps there is a reason or hidden agenda behind it. But BlackBerry is smart enough and they are aware of this problem this is the reason why they came out with the Android player to be able to run apps that were developed for DROID. When companies say they don't want to spend money (actually it is not the money) the app can be converted over like Skype. Also since the sales are picking up and with enterprise users now been given a device that you can really use for browsing and running apps, they will start to put pressure on the app developers too. And I think BlackBerry has something planned for the BlackBerry live event next week where they will show machine to machine communication and how you can use your BlackBerry device and work from other peripherals connected to it which could be laptops, desktops, tablets or other smartphones and tv's. BlackBerry has a plan and the delay was the change in the OS to be able to compete and now that it is in place they will not stop innovating.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 06:21 AM
    Hate to break it to you, but the enterprise market isn't big enough or exclusive enough to depend on. Byod grows bigger everyday. It's not a conspiracy its predictable progress. If you were writing an app would you cater to 90% of the population or 4%? In fact that's business 101. Maximize coverage. BlackBerry is miniscule compared to ios and android. It's blackberry's job to change that. Apple and Google grew their brands, so can BlackBerry.
    05-11-13 06:26 AM
    Blackberry should have grew a pair, and told vzw "we'll release the Storm when it's ready".

Sent from my Galaxy 4
    And how many years later would that have been?
    pantlesspenguin and JeepBB like this.
    05-11-13 06:34 AM
    Hate to break it to you that the byod's in enterprise would be managed by BlackBerry exclusively. And BlackBerry is building on the vase that it has in the enterprise world. Lets come back to this discussion in 3 months.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-13 06:35 AM
74 123