i saw this, BlackBerry PlayBook - 4G lte Tablet - US , on BBs' U.S. website today,,, i haven't noticed it before,,, any idea how long it's been up,,, is this an indication of an update "soon"??? not sure why they'd have this up, unless there was a need, since most playbooks are up to date...
    05-10-13 01:28 PM
    I'm guessing it's not BB10 since they still reference BlackBerry OS.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 01:49 PM
    i saw this, BlackBerry PlayBook - 4G lte Tablet - US , on BBs' U.S. website today,,, i haven't noticed it before,,, any idea how long it's been up,,, is this an indication of an update "soon"??? not sure why they'd have this up, unless there was a need, since most playbooks are up to date...
    this has been up on the canadian site for as long as the playbook plus cellular has been available
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-10-13 01:53 PM
    It's out here for a few month (4G Version)? With a 400� price tag the normal Version is out for 180� and lower...
    05-10-13 02:03 PM
    Yea that's been there since the 4g launched. Lol and it still says coming soon when you click "were to buy" just like its been forever and a day ago.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-10-13 05:42 PM
    the thing that got my attention is the part about how to update your software...
    05-10-13 08:27 PM
    Weak, real weak
    05-10-13 10:08 PM
    All I know right now is that BB10 has got to come on May 15th (or whenever Jam/Live 2013 is). All was fine but now all my webpages are using Flash 9 and PB doesn't have it. Also, whether BB likes it or not, May 15th is the unconfirmed date of many users of their products and if they don't even so much to mention the PlayBook and BB10 then it will feel like they missed the "deadline". Yes it is unconfirmed, but consumers are getting inpatient and even though totally assumed, expectations are for that day/week.

Maybe I will have a change of thought tomorrow, but I am a bit annoyed about my webpages.
    05-11-13 01:49 AM
    Some one needs to stick a fork in Thorsten's posterior to get him to pay attention to the BlackBerry PlayBook users, especially those of us whom were early adopters. I am tired of the continuous delays, announcements, rumours, and general disrespect shown to BlackBerry users by BlackBerry management.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    05-11-13 07:09 AM
    Some one needs to stick a fork in Thorsten's posterior to get him to pay attention to the BlackBerry PlayBook users, especially those of us whom were early adopters. I am tired of the continuous delays, announcements, rumours, and general disrespect shown to BlackBerry users by BlackBerry management.

Plus 1

Seems today only I am beginning to see good / right comments. This thing just as a paperweight among my HTC flyer, Samsung Tab and this Playbook. Waiting waiting and waiting.

Most irritating problem for me is the awful browser.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk 2
    Creaulx likes this.
    05-11-13 07:31 AM
    Plus 2.
    It's become a paperweight for me as well.
    05-11-13 09:44 AM
    For me,the fact that BlackBerry has been so quiet on the matter Doesn't look good.

All I know is that they better be ready for the backlash if the promise is not fulfilled.

"Soon" "Later this year" --<<<This is all crap. There should be a beta out at the very least right now.

j21jam6 likes this.
    05-12-13 10:08 AM
    For me,the fact that BlackBerry has been so quiet on the matter Doesn't look good.

All I know is that they better be ready for the backlash if the promise is not fulfilled.

"Soon" "Later this year" --<<<This is all crap. There should be a beta out at the very least right now.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "it doesn't look good", but rather they are oblivious idiots. They should have had the beta by now, they should have said a better time frame of it being released, they should have said it will be released this week, if it is to be released this week.

BB didn't set an acceptable time frame ("this year") and have barely mentioned the PB except for a few interviews and tips on twitter. If they don't set an acceptable time frame, then consumers will and that is horrible for them.

BB isn't in the position to choose which users they need and which can be put on the back burner with the promise of "soon". They also do not have any real PR department (or if separate, a marketing department for that matter) that can quell broken promises to a large portion of the small pool of consumers they have (compared to their competitors).

They are oblivious idiots, or worse they are complete idiots if they didn't make the BB10 future compatible to different screen sizes.... but that seems way too stupid for a company of that size and history.
    FF22 and j21jam6 like this.
    05-12-13 11:43 AM
    Plus 2.
    It's become a paperweight for me as well.
    I'm genuinely curious as to why it's a paperweight for some people and not being enhanced with the acquisition of a few quality apps to make it more enjoyable? I'm not kidding either...

I know that the PlayBook running OS 2.1.x has its shortcomings...trust me, I have one. But now that I've spent a few dollars on high quality apps (and even some great free ones too) such as PDF Reader ($0.99), Advanced Camera ($0.99), PlayEpub ($0.99), Maxthon Web Browser (free - not perfect but not bad when some sites don't/won't render in the PlayBook), Neutron Music Player ($4.99), Magellan Compass ($4.99), Kalemsoft Media Player ($6.99), Sitebook (free and awesome bookmarking tool), and several more that I can't remember without looking at my PlayBook itself, this device just gets better and better...

What I've just listed for you will cost $19.97, what's that? 4-5 beers at a restaurant? A 12 pack of beer at a liquor store? A lunch for two at McDonald's with ice cream cones for dessert? See where I'm going with this? It's all relative...Spend some cash on some quality apps and enjoy your tablet! I do and I love it, most times. YES, the browser desperately needs improving but all in all this thing is pretty amazing.

If you want your paperweight to suddenly be an iPad Mini, it's not going to happen. I'd suggest selling it to someone who wants it and get yourself an iPad Mini and not be bothered frequenting the BlackBerry Forums any longer...not trying to be rude either. Just seriously suggesting that if you can't be bothered to upgrade your current tablets with a few dollars on quality apps, yet come to the BlackBerry Forums to complain then what exactly are your expectations?
    05-12-13 12:22 PM
    I will say that the PlayBook's Conference App by BlackBerry (oddly enough still published as "Research In Motion Limited) makes me look forward to BB10 on the PlayBook even more. It isn't a real BB10 app but it is made to look and function (limited) like BB10. In portrait mode it looks down right sexy.
    05-12-13 03:06 PM
    I'm genuinely curious as to why it's a paperweight for some people and not being enhanced with the acquisition of a few quality apps to make it more enjoyable? I'm not kidding either...

I know that the PlayBook running OS 2.1.x has its shortcomings...trust me, I have one. But now that I've spent a few dollars on high quality apps (and even some great free ones too) such as PDF Reader ($0.99), Advanced Camera ($0.99), PlayEpub ($0.99), Maxthon Web Browser (free - not perfect but not bad when some sites don't/won't render in the PlayBook), Neutron Music Player ($4.99), Magellan Compass ($4.99), Kalemsoft Media Player ($6.99), Sitebook (free and awesome bookmarking tool), and several more that I can't remember without looking at my PlayBook itself, this device just gets better and better...

What I've just listed for you will cost $19.97, what's that? 4-5 beers at a restaurant? A 12 pack of beer at a liquor store? A lunch for two at McDonald's with ice cream cones for dessert? See where I'm going with this? It's all relative...Spend some cash on some quality apps and enjoy your tablet! I do and I love it, most times. YES, the browser desperately needs improving but all in all this thing is pretty amazing.

If you want your paperweight to suddenly be an iPad Mini, it's not going to happen. I'd suggest selling it to someone who wants it and get yourself an iPad Mini and not be bothered frequenting the BlackBerry Forums any longer...not trying to be rude either. Just seriously suggesting that if you can't be bothered to upgrade your current tablets with a few dollars on quality apps, yet come to the BlackBerry Forums to complain then what exactly are your expectations?
    Just curious what sites won't render in the PB's browser that do in Maxthon. I haven't run across any on my end in the 2 years I've had the PB, but then again I don't scurry around the interwebs like crazy...just a few dozen core sites. I fiddled a bit with Dolphin too, and while the 'gestures' are alright it seems a bit sluggish on the pick-up. I do agree that the PB's browser needs some refreshing though.
    05-13-13 09:47 AM
    I wouldn't go so far as to say "it doesn't look good", but rather they are oblivious idiots. They should have had the beta by now, they should have said a better time frame of it being released, they should have said it will be released this week, if it is to be released this week.

BB didn't set an acceptable time frame ("this year") and have barely mentioned the PB except for a few interviews and tips on twitter. If they don't set an acceptable time frame, then consumers will and that is horrible for them.

BB isn't in the position to choose which users they need and which can be put on the back burner with the promise of "soon". They also do not have any real PR department (or if separate, a marketing department for that matter) that can quell broken promises to a large portion of the small pool of consumers they have (compared to their competitors).

They are oblivious idiots, or worse they are complete idiots if they didn't make the BB10 future compatible to different screen sizes.... but that seems way too stupid for a company of that size and history.
    Comments like this make me laugh as they come from someone who doesn't have a clue. Can you please tell us what company you are the CEO of? Thanks
    Barljo likes this.
    05-13-13 10:12 AM
    They are oblivious idiots
    Current "buzz talking" in companies is all around SMART targets. Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Time-based.

Specific: "BB10 will come to all playbooks". Sounds specific to me. Tick.
    Measurable: "BB10 will come to all Playbooks". Sounds like you can measure that by if it's released to LTE and wifi versions or not. Tick.
    Achievable: Given that BB10 runs on the DevAlpha with similar processor and RAM, it should be achievable. Tick.
    Realistic: The specs should run it, we know that there are already PB's running it. Sounds Realistic to me. Tick.
    Time-based: "By the end of the year". Sounds fairly definite to me. Tick.

Maybe we could save the "finger-in-the-air" analysis stuff until something can be measured against the facts we know. Everything else is like my boss at work saying to me today "You've not done well this calendar year, so there's no bonus for you in 2014" and giving me examples based on deliverables with a future date that I haven't yet delivered on.

I'm far from positive it will come out, but I really hope so and the constant negative noise of discussion sometimes gets in the way. My PB does what it does now, and does it more than well enough for me. I appreciate some people may feel differently, but saying that BBRY are not delivering on their statements this time is premature and unfair. Previous form suggests that you're right, but maybe the winds of change have blown enough to make sure that it happens.
    Last edited by Barljo; 05-13-13 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Couple of typos
    05-13-13 10:48 AM
    I see what OP means though, the PlayBook 4G hasn't been on the U.S. site before. I can remember visiting the site on the 8th and it wasn't there. I hope this is a sign of BB10 coming to the PlayBook. Maybe the whole point of updating the PlayBook is to see the publics reaction to BB10 on a tablet, and if it does well, maybe it will convince them to actually invest in a new tablet. That's just me speculating. But, fingers crossed.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-13-13 11:04 AM

It sucks as a PlayBook user, but let's be blunt: shareholders want the PlayBook gone. It was a big money loser, a big distraction and didn't sell well. It sold better when the price was cut but likely in a money losing scenario.

With BB watching cash closely, shareholders would revolt if he sunk a bunch of money into it.

Let's be blunt too: they likely will have shipped more Z10s and Q10s by the end of May than they shipped PlayBooks in two years.
    05-13-13 11:14 AM
    Thank you for taking a break from running your own multi-billion dollar corporation to provide Thor with coaching on how to do his job. The world is a better place for it.

Jokes aside, I honestly believe this is simply a matter of 'opportunity cost'. If you have finite resources, where do you stick it? On Z10, Q10 or PlayBook? Logically, it's where you get the most ROI. Given that it took BlackBerry almost 2 years to ship 2.3 million PlayBooks (majority of those after they took a big write down) and they shipped a million Z10's in the last few weeks of the first quarter, it's obvious to me where the ROI is for them.

Agree, but there aren't many PlayBook customers, unfortunately.

They also do not have any real PR department (or if separate, a marketing department for that matter) that can quell broken promises to a large portion of the small pool of consumers they have (compared to their competitors).
    You could always send your resume to Thorsten and tell him of your great plans to personally lead the PR and marketing teams to greatness.

Feel like sharing your resume, since you've made such bold statements insulting the leaders of the company? Tell us about your great business achievements ...
    05-13-13 11:20 AM
    Thank you for taking a break from running your own multi-billion dollar corporation to provide Thor with coaching on how to do his job. The world is a better place for it.

Jokes aside, I honestly believe this is simply a matter of 'opportunity cost'. If you have finite resources, where do you stick it? On Z10, Q10 or PlayBook? Logically, it's where you get the most ROI. Given that it took BlackBerry almost 2 years to ship 2.3 million PlayBooks (majority of those after they took a big write down) and they shipped a million Z10's in the last few weeks of the first quarter, it's obvious to me where the ROI is for them.

Agree, but there aren't many PlayBook customers, unfortunately.

You could always send your resume to Thorsten and tell him of your great plans to personally lead the PR and marketing teams to greatness.

Feel like sharing your resume, since you've made such bold statements insulting the leaders of the company? Tell us about your great business achievements ...
    First, I would share my resume, but I don't like to brag and make people feel bad comparing themselves to me.

Really what I am saying is, of course, opinion, but there is some things that I believe ]to be common sense.

So to your point that they only shipped 2.3 million units. When then RIM was restructured with Thorsten heading the company, I believe a new marketing director/VP was named. He said that they will be trying for a grass roots/word of mouth campaign and that could have been made easier by having at least 1.5 million users (very conservative estimate, but shipped doesn't mean sold) with BB10 on their devices. On top of that, for developers, having an additional 1.5 million user pool using BB10 and checking out their apps would sweeten the pot. I think they know this, in respect to developers, and that is why PB will be getting BB10. The marketing aspect, even though that is/was the plan, was bypassed completely.

As for resources and opportunity, well this goes with the last part that I said. To future proof an OS then they must be aware that it has to be scalable. To save on time and energy they need to only have 1 base OS and 2 versions. That first version for the phone should have been and was first priority. The second version would be for tablets (right now they are not focus on making new tablets, but things change. Look at Apple's "7in tablets are too small" comment). The tablet version is essentially the same as the phone with tweaks, the base is there, the foundation is there. That is why it should be at least been in beta by the time the phones came out (also would have helped for marketing, as mentioned above).

The PR thing is just good customer relations and good business practice. To not set a timeline that narrows over time means that people are going to get impatient (you know, you see the boards). Rumors will go rampage saying "BB10 won't be on the PB", and "BB10 coming this week" but the week comes and goes with no BB10, both disheartening on consumers. People will set deadlines and say that BB "missed them again" (remember OS2.0?). People will move on to competitors because "BB10 won't be on the PB" or "who knows when, might as well get a different brand" or people will feel like they are getting the run around and are not important to BB. Say 1 million people bought the PB while on the fire sale and never used a BB product before. Say that that is 500,000 potential future supports that feel jaded because they were told it was coming out but then ignored. It is about the information not being released yet, not the product not being released yet.

Please don't think that I am saying that BB10 won't be out, or that BB is horrible. What I am saying is that aspects of the company are weak and need to be straightened out, especially their PR and communication. If in fact BB10 comes out this week (rumors), they should have mentioned that by now. If they don't mention anything about the PB, that will be a million or 2 people upset (some more than others... some will stick around but some may leave). Sure that may not be 50% of their base, but they are far behind Google and Apple, so for them, a million or 2 customers are nothing to sneeze at.

Edit: If there was offense taken by me calling BB "idiots", I was using it playfully. I do think they are oblivious to things in relations to PR and marketing. Though traditional marketing has become better (I see more from BB now, not a lot but more).
    Last edited by BerryClever; 05-13-13 at 01:11 PM.
    shaydor likes this.
    05-13-13 12:41 PM
    First, I would share my resume, but I don't like to brag and make people feel bad comparing themselves to me.
    Best retort I've received all week and it made me laugh out loud! Well done (and well needed by me today!)

He said that they will be trying for a grass roots/word of mouth campaign and that could have been made easier by having at least 1.5 million users (very conservative estimate, but shipped doesn't mean sold) with BB10 on their devices.
    I guess. But I think there would have been a revolt. There was so much concern over BlackBerry losing money that it would have been seen as "why are you wasting any energy on this?". I remember one shareholder call where an analyst flat out sad, "at what point do you just cut the cord and let this thing die?"
    BerryClever likes this.
    05-13-13 05:38 PM
    I see what OP means though, the PlayBook 4G hasn't been on the U.S. site before. I can remember visiting the site on the 8th and it wasn't there. I hope this is a sign of BB10 coming to the PlayBook. Maybe the whole point of updating the PlayBook is to see the publics reaction to BB10 on a tablet, and if it does well, maybe it will convince them to actually invest in a new tablet. That's just me speculating. But, fingers crossed.
    Its been there and coming soon for many months. I am very sure of this.

05-13-13 10:02 PM
    ...nope, but hopefully they'll drop more than just a hint tomorrow at BlackBerry Live.
    05-13-13 10:29 PM
61 123