Hello everybody,

Sorry for the long story

I know that this has been discussed quite a few times, but since this morning i made 1 settings change, that resulted in a significant boost in battery life.
    I have all the usual battery saving tips applied -
    disabled:
    Bluetooth
    NFC
    WiFi when not in use(although it's on at least 16 hours a day in my case, but whenever i don't have WiFi around me i turn it off)
    I don't have 4G so that's disabled,
    push disabled on all of my e-mail accounts - i set the important ones to 30min-1h intervals, the rest are 2 hour intervals
    cell broadcast is off - not sure what this does, but i've never used it
    brightness around 50%, timeout 20sec

And now the biggest energy saver so far: Allow screen gestures when locked - since this morning it's disabled.
    Now this comes with a few warnings/notes.
    At first you will be annoyed because you are trying to turn the screen on by swiping up, but after a day you will overcome this.
    Second this will not really save you that much battery if you are using your phone 24/7. This works only when your screen is off.
    But for today only - i unplugged from the charger at 8A.M. and at 6 p.m. i had 70% battery, when usually i would have had around 40%.
    I'm not a particularly heavy user, more to moderate - 10-15 emails, 15 minutes of calls, 1h browsing, 1h social networks, 2h instant messaging, 2-3 hours of music - so roughly lets say 6-7 hours of usage per my 16 hour day(ofc excluding sleeping).
    I've never given it much thought but it makes sense - when you have the option on it means that the touch detection( capacititive functionality) is always on waiting for input to detect you swiping up to unlock. With the allow gestures when locked set to off however it is not working, hence saving energy.
    Again it will only be useful to you if you have a considerable amount of time an idling phone.
    Whoever wants to try, make a note for charge percentage for a couple of points of YOUR NORMAL day, and then do the same with the feature off, and report back

Hope this helps somebody out.
    05-08-13 11:44 AM
    I get 12 Hours with gestures on, I have gotten used to them its going to be hard to let go.
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-08-13 12:33 PM
    I would love to try this just to see how significant the difference is, although I love the swipe gesture to wake up and peek at the notifications feature. This is what makes the BlackBerry Z10 so unique to me. Therefore, I don't think the battery savings would be worth it for me. Reminds me too much of an iPhone if I were forced to press the sleep button and then swipe in order to wake up the phone. Just my 2cents.

Regards,
    05-08-13 12:34 PM
    I did some tests with battery guru about a week ago. I let it idle overnight with gestures on. It drained about 1,5% per hour with it on. Then I turned it off and let it idle and it drained about 1% per hour. So the difference was hot that huge at all for me. So I leave it on.
    yvpan1 and Fatz_z like this.
    05-08-13 12:41 PM
    It's going to be hard getting use to not swipping

Sent via my Z10 support your local paramedics run with scissors.
    05-08-13 12:46 PM
    I understand you guys, i also prefer the swipe to unlock to be enabled, but it is worth trying if you are not getting the battery life that you need.

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-09-13 12:27 AM
    I'm using the 10.1 leak on a Verizon Z10. I leave everything on (wifi, NFC. BT, swipe to wake). Unplug at 7:00 am and it is now 11:30 PM. There is now 25% battery left. I only talk on it once or twice a day, but other than that I am always checking email and browsing it. It connects to my Ford Sync when in my car an I sometimes play music, bit not much. I couldn't be happier.
    Z10 quite impressive battery saving-img_00000172.png

Posted via CB10
    tcee- and 2001bmw330xi like this.
    05-09-13 01:40 AM
    8 hours max for me with essentially the same settings, however BT is on all day, as Im in my vehicle a lot. Can anyone confirm if Gmail supports PUSH? I have mine on, perhaps I shouldn't ?
    05-09-13 01:45 AM
    I changed sync for all my accounts from 15 minutes to 24 hours, and that alone made a huge difference.
    05-09-13 01:52 AM
    I'm using the 10.1 leak on a Verizon Z10. I leave everything on (wifi, NFC. BT, swipe to wake). Unplug at 7:00 am and it is now 11:30 PM. There is now 25% battery left. I only talk on it once or twice a day, but other than that I am always checking email and browsing it. It connects to my Ford Sync when in my car an I sometimes play music, bit not much. I couldn't be happier.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000172.png 
Views:	4913 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	159763

Posted via CB10
    That is awesome battery life on a Verizon phone. I think I actually have slightly poorer battery life on the leak, but it's whatever. I'm patient enough to wait for the official 10.1 release before I judge the battery life.

Posted via CB10 & loving it!
    05-09-13 01:57 AM
    Instead of turning off screen gestures when locked. You can get a case/holster with magnetic on/off feature. The Z10 is on as soon as you withdraw it from the case, save you the extra step of swiping.
    05-09-13 02:01 AM
    I'm gonna test this tmrw, see what happens...

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 02:39 AM
    Testing today, just for the heck of it. Unplugged charger at 7am, bit of light wifi surfing. Now at work with NFC on, bridged to my PB.

Usually my battery lasts plenty through the day to ~20% at 2200 bedtime, and this is the first day that I've had the NFC on (tags arrived yesterday so I'm excited!), so I'll see what happens
    05-09-13 02:44 AM
    8 hours max for me with essentially the same settings, however BT is on all day, as Im in my vehicle a lot. Can anyone confirm if Gmail supports PUSH? I have mine on, perhaps I shouldn't ?
    Yes Gmail supports PUSH. I have 2 Gmail accounts on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 05:14 AM
    Yes Gmail supports PUSH. I have 2 Gmail accounts on my Z10

Posted via CB10
    Gmail doesn't support push for free accounts any more. It only works when using Google Apps paid accounts.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-13 05:45 AM
    Turning off screen gestures isn't something anyone should have to do. I realize its battery saving potential but doing that is turning off one if the coolest features of the phone.
    trynacu2 likes this.
    05-09-13 05:53 AM
    others may not feel the same way that i do but you shouldnt have to go through all of this drama to get through the day on this phone i remember when i first heard that the battery on the phone was 1800 i made a negative comment about it and a lot of people had my head to chew off. The fact of the matter is Blackberry should NEVER have released a phone of that caliber with such a small battery would like to think they would have learnt something from the 9900.Their is absolutely no excuse on Blackberry part and we need to stop making excuse for blackberry.It shows that they really do not learn... The battery is to small end of story ..........
    05-09-13 05:57 AM
    Gmail doesn't support push for free accounts any more. It only works when using Google Apps paid accounts.

Posted via CB10
    (see RAUB's following answer - I think that I may just have got lucky in my logon!)

One question... I have never directly given Google a penny (save for them selling my data!). I receive my Gmail with no "check" action, and well within the "sync" timeframe I have set on my account setup on Z10. I was in email conversation just yesterday and it was definitely faster than a minute.

Please could you back up your claim of 'no push for free accounts' and I'll happily strike through everything I've just written...
    Last edited by Barljo; 05-09-13 at 08:11 AM. Reason: answer and clarification received with thanks
    05-09-13 06:56 AM
    One question... I have never directly given Google a penny (save for them selling my data!). I receive my Gmail with no "check" action, and well within the "sync" timeframe I have set on my account setup on Z10. I was in email conversation just yesterday and it was definitely faster than a minute.

Please could you back up your claim of 'no push for free accounts' and I'll happily strike through everything I've just written...
    Some time ago Google has stopped EAS support for free Gmail accounts. It was a real time push email. For now we have "push if available" option but it only means that we can get a new email in case google will push it and unfortunately it is not guaranteed - sometimes it works, sometimes not.

So to get our email permanently we should use both options: "push if available" and "sync interval". In this case, even if push is not available at the moment, we'll able to get it.
    Barljo likes this.
    05-09-13 07:58 AM
    Ah, maybe I hit lucky and nipped in before the EAS cutoff then, apologies.

Thanks very much for coming back - I'll strike through but leave there so that it doesn't confuse everyone with missing quotes!
    RAUB likes this.
    05-09-13 08:10 AM
    Ah, maybe I hit lucky and nipped in before the EAS cutoff then, apologies.

Thanks very much for coming back - I'll strike through but leave there so that it doesn't confuse everyone with missing quotes!
    You're welcome!

Btw outlook.com also supports EAS and it's free.
    05-09-13 08:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Incorrect. If you are using IMAP, push is supported.

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    Bartleby001 and goku_vegeta like this.
    05-09-13 08:41 AM

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    There is only way to get email in real time at the moment - EAS. Everything else is not real time push as we had on BIS.
    05-09-13 08:59 AM
    That's right. Gmail IMAP supports push.

There's some confusion between push and sync. The two are not the same. Push refers to email being pushed to the phone more or less instantly. Gmail does this, even with the free IMAP accounts.

Sync is about what happens when you delete or file an email. This is not instantaneous; it depends upon the sync interval you've set. So if an email is sent to your Gmail (IMAP) address, you get it within seconds; that's push. Then you delete it or file it on your phone. You check your Gmail on the web and it's still sitting there in your Inbox, apparently unread. That's because your phone hasn't yet synced with Gmail. If you have it set to 30 minutes and your next sync isn't due for 20 minutes, that's how long it will take for the change to be mirrored on the web. You can also hit the "refresh" button in the Z10 email app to force a sync earlier than scheduled.

Getting back to battery saving, making your sync interval longer is indeed a way to conserve battery power. Whether it's a good idea depends on your email usage habits. If you mostly deal with email on your phone, there's little need to have it syncing frequently, especially when you can refresh/sync manually when needed. If you are going back and forth between the web and the phone and need things tightly synced, then obviously you want the shortest possible sync interval--which would be 5 minutes in the most recent 10.1 release. But you'd naturally expect to use more battery power for that.

I think it would be useful to have a setting like what I had for IMAP on my Android phone. I could set a short sync interval during peak hours, and a longer interval for the rest of the time.

Gmail is my personal account, and I have it set to one hour sync, and I've had no problems with that. I still get my email instantly, and I seldom need to check it on the web. I may go to two hours.

As for turning off lock screen gestures, I did that some time back. It does save power. With 10.1 we can skip the lock screen when using the power button, so it's just one action to be ready to go.
    05-09-13 09:04 AM
    There is only way to get email in real time at the moment - EAS. Everything else is not real time push as we had on BIS.
    Push-imap is still push, and it would still be used by BIS if BIS was still in use. Instead google yells at your phone directly instead of yelling at a BIS server. Let BIS go.
    05-09-13 09:04 AM
98 123 ...