.. is that I accept the screen is small but if I do want to watch a video on Youtube, it would be nice if the entire 3.1" is used.. if it's always going to be a letterbox.. that makes it quite tiny?

Opinions?
    05-08-13 10:02 AM
    The entire screen is used when playing a video through the browser or through the media player.
    05-08-13 10:05 AM
    Get a Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 10:07 AM
    .. is that I accept the screen is small but if I do want to watch a video on Youtube, it would be nice if the entire 3.1" is used.. if it's always going to be a letterbox.. that makes it quite tiny?

Opinions?
    generally it will show the video in the aspect ratio is was shot in. If its a 16:9 or 4:3 then it will indeed be in letterbox view.

As per this thread, there are lots of pros and cons to the screen sizes. Some examples of YouTube are shown here too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...debate-802693/
    05-08-13 10:19 AM
    The entire screen is used when playing a video through the browser or through the media player.
    By media player, do you mean the built in player on the Q10?
    In which case, it still depends on the aspect ratio of the video being watched.

You can of course expand the view, but this obviously cuts off some of the picture.

My main concern before I get a Q10-img_00000304.png
    My main concern before I get a Q10-img_00000305.png

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 10:24 AM
    If video is very imporetant I would suggest the Z10 if you got to have a Blackberry.
    05-08-13 11:27 AM
    I personally have no complaints about Video on the Q10. Huge leap forward my my 9900. In all ways. And Snazy is correct. Allot of the times, depends how the video was shot.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 11:43 AM
    Video isn't a priority but sometimes I might like to watch something on youtube and it seems these days most stuff is 16:9 so it will be quite small shrunk down to a letter box size?

I guess I need to go a store and try it but I haven't seen this mentioned in many reviews, only one or two.
    05-08-13 12:24 PM
    Video isn't a priority but sometimes I might like to watch something on youtube and it seems these days most stuff is 16:9 so it will be quite small shrunk down to a letter box size?

I guess I need to go a store and try it but I haven't seen this mentioned in many reviews, only one or two.
    If video is very imporetant I would suggest the Z10 if you got to have a Blackberry.
    Get a tablet and tether to your phone. That's my plan.
    05-08-13 12:35 PM
    Indeed, Q10 + Playbook is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    DatMisterB likes this.
    05-08-13 12:37 PM
    Indeed, Q10 + Playbook is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    Uhhh not yet. I'm missing all my Bridge options coming from 9900. But I know it's in the works. Just hope sooner than later.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 12:50 PM
    I meant if I am at the gym on a treadmill, I like to walk fast and watch a vid or something with headphones on. Don't really fancy a tablet as I have a 15.4" powerhouse laptop for everything else.
    05-08-13 01:00 PM
    I meant if I am at the gym on a treadmill, I like to walk fast and watch a vid or something with headphones on. Don't really fancy a tablet as I have a 15.4" powerhouse laptop for everything else.
    Guess in that case you would still be able to watch things, just shot in the right ratio. 4:3 should be bearable in full screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 01:09 PM
    The Z10 is the right one for you... I know, it's hard to admit, but you are just being drawn to Q10's form factor. I swear I am too,but I was able to control the urge. Would you rather be at ease using your smart phone than squinting and zooming in just trying to view texts or videos from your BB? Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt...Peace out
    guinnkevinr likes this.
    05-08-13 03:11 PM
    The Z10 is the right one for you... I know, it's hard to admit, but you are just being drawn to Q10's form factor. I swear I am too,but I was able to control the urge. Would you rather be at ease using your smart phone than squinting and zooming in just trying to view texts or videos from your BB? Just my two cents. Take it with a grain of salt...Peace out
    Why would you be zooming in to read a message? They display in exactly the same way. The biggest difference is things which display in a different aspect ratio.

So flip that thought, would you rather be fumbling with a touchscreen for hours a day writing messages, or have a less pleasurable video watching experience once in a while.

They both have their pros and cons, but I don't think it's right to make someone believe that a shorter screen is in some way going to affect the messaging sections of the OS.

Posted via CB10
    Jake Storm likes this.
    05-08-13 04:37 PM
    Also if you are texting, you probably have the keyboard up (not sure if it forces it up) so the viewable screen on the Zed is Ed Zachary the same as on the Q
    05-08-13 04:44 PM
    Which all goes back to that funky little screen real estate Z vs Q thread, which I think gives some honest, experienced views and comparisons, rather than pretending that the text on the Q is somehow tiny.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 05:21 PM
    I gave in to my temptation and happy that I did. Loving the Q man!!!! I swear the form factor is just awesome for everyday use and not too big so it fits perfectly anywhere in your pocket! Try it and you might change your mind.
    05-08-13 05:23 PM
    I gave in to my temptation and happy that I did. Loving the Q man!!!! I swear the form factor is just awesome for everyday use and not too big so it fits perfectly anywhere in your pocket! Try it and you might change your mind.
    Well said!
    I love how the Q feels in the pocket. A great combination of a sensible sized screen, which is pleasing to the eye and fingers, and a beautifully crafted physical keyboard.
    Glad you are liking it

On the flip side, the Z is a great device, and again very capable. As a media powerhouse, with a forgiving keyboard for those with wide thumbs.

It's a tough call, and for the first time ever, some might actually need to give careful consideration to which device they get.

Two great devices, one great OS, one tough decision, but no reason to be creative with the truths of either device.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 05:33 PM
    You were one of those people who bought movies in "full screen" back when tv's were 4:3 huh?? lol ;-)
    05-08-13 05:33 PM
    You were one of those people who bought movies in "full screen" back when tv's were 4:3 huh?? lol ;-)
    Haha guilty! 20 years later its all starting to make sense lol

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 05:38 PM
    Haha guilty! 20 years later its all starting to make sense lol

Posted via CB10
    LOL! Well said man!
    05-08-13 05:41 PM
    HAHA I worked in a video store when DVD first started coming out, to 8 years later (almost 6 years ago). I spend so much time trying to educate people on why they had black bars on their TV and to just deal with it basically.
    05-08-13 06:15 PM
    Just get a Z10 if one of your main things is watching video...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-08-13 06:46 PM
    I have a Curve for work so love the form factor, I used to have a HTC Desire for myself and watched the occasional vid at the gym which it was good for.. productivity, not as great as the BB. Now I need a new personal phone and I have 4G EE 20gb SIM.. I only want one new phone.. decision, decisions.. it'd be a no brainer if the Q10 could play 16:9 vids decently (assuming a lot on youtube are 16:9).
    05-08-13 07:11 PM
45 12