BlackBerry gave Skype the APIS but doesn't integrate headless-ness in the music app. It's a native part of the OS? Android is able to do this by ending the process in the Notification tray.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    05-07-13 07:32 PM
    Could it be headless, yes.

Does it NEED to be headless? I don't think so. I really don't.

What do you need a headless music player for? What is the issue with having the active frame there if you get full control of the app by using the volume rockers and the pop-up?

Music app needs to be headless-img_00000008.jpg
    Music app needs to be headless-img_00000009.jpg
    05-07-13 09:01 PM
    BlackBerry gave Skype the APIS but doesn't integrate headless-ness in the music app. It's a native part of the OS? Android is able to do this by ending the process in the Notification tray.

Skype is an Android port, and all Android Player apps are capable of running headless, so it's not as if Skype has some sort of exclusive API access. It's the native API that needs to be worked out. Having said that, BlackBerry does definitely have that API available if necessary, even though it's not finalized, and I suppose having the Music app go headless could be useful.
    05-07-13 09:08 PM

What do you need a headless music player for? What is the issue with having the active frame there if you get full control of the app by using the volume rockers and the pop-up?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000008.jpg 
Views:	1810 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	159297

Name:	IMG_00000009.jpg 
Views:	1811 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	159300
    The music app uses A LOT of battery on 10.0 (not sure if improved upon on 10.1) and it kinda annoys me that a basic OS function wastes over 20% of my battery in a half hour.

05-08-13 07:33 AM
    Making it headless wouldn't have that much of an impact on how the app works, it would just do away with the actve frame. All other processes would still be in place thus still using power.

I don't use it that much, only at the gym or on long comutes, so I guess it is better on 10.1.
    05-08-13 09:52 AM
    The music app uses A LOT of battery on 10.0 (not sure if improved upon on 10.1) and it kinda annoys me that a basic OS function wastes over 20% of my battery in a half hour.

20%? That's more than double what it uses for one hour for me.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 11:45 AM

Name:	IMG_00000008.jpg 
Views:	1810 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	159297

Name:	IMG_00000009.jpg 
Views:	1811 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	159300
    That's exactly the point. WHY do we need an active frame if all of the options pop up when you hit a volume rocker. It;s pointlessly redundant. I can access the music app from anywhere in the OS by turning the volume up or down. The active frame gives NO additional information. In addition to the clock app, it is one of the only core apps that should definitely be headless.
    12-08-13 03:08 PM
    That's exactly the point. WHY do we need an active frame if all of the options pop up when you hit a volume rocker. It;s pointlessly redundant. I can access the music app from anywhere in the OS by turning the volume up or down. The active frame gives NO additional information. In addition to the clock app, it is one of the only core apps that should definitely be headless.
    Here is another thing to consider: Headless apps use resources for as long as they are running (which can be very well forever).

Why do you need music running forever in the background, even if it isn't playing anything?
    12-08-13 06:04 PM
    I think that music player to be headless would be good idea because of the 8 active apps limitation. When you have opened for ex. Music player, Browser, CB app, FB, bbm, Remember app, pga tour app, like I have at the moment, and after that you will call someone (8th app, so we are still ok) but when I decide to go to phone settings to adjust something ( 9th app), my app before music app will close, is this something we want?
    12-08-13 08:17 PM
    On most user case scenarios, one start listening to music and stops using the device for everything else.

I just can't see the need for it to be headless. Sure, if I could have it my way we would be able to run apps till the device run out of memory. I'm not unaware of the 8 apps limitation.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    12-08-13 08:31 PM
    Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 02:26 AM
    Why do you have BBM open as active frame? I always close it and use it straight from the hub

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:33 AM
    Here is another thing to consider: Headless apps use resources for as long as they are running (which can be very well forever).

Why do you need music running forever in the background, even if it isn't playing anything?
    I understand that it would. But there has to be some sort of task manager that is easily accessible from the homescreen in order to know what is running headless and terminate when u want.

I don't need it to run forever. But I don't want it to waste my active frame space. Since only 4 will show at one time, the apps in active frame should actually show additional information or serve some other purpose

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 03:50 AM
    Sorry, this is beyond specific for it to be implemented.

BlackBerry 10 Help Channel
    12-09-13 04:20 AM
    No ******* thankyou. I don't want to accidentally hit my side button at a funeral and have music begin to blare.

What's the issue? No need for headless.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 07:22 AM
    Why do you have BBM open as active frame? I always close it and use it straight from the hub

Posted via CB10
    Sometimes I forget to close it. Sometimes there is so much activity in the groups it is better not to close it.

But mostly o forget to close it.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 07:30 AM
    No ******* thankyou. I don't want to accidentally hit my side button at a funeral and have music begin to blare.

Posted via CB10
    Easy tiger, let's keep it civil.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 07:30 AM
    Sorry, this is beyond specific for it to be implemented.

BlackBerry 10 Help Channel
    Its beyond specific to have the music app run headless?? Lol are u serious? Theres a multitude of apps that should be able to run in the background. If you're too dumb to realize when u have apps open in the background, and close them when you're not using them, well maybe its best to stick with a 90's flip phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 05:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    Whoaa rageeee. Don't worry, there should be some articles on CB at that time to help special people like you learn how to close background apps.

And for the other 364.5 days of the year when you're not at a funeral, you might find it useful. Whats wrong with having that option to run it headless? You work at BlackBerry and want to avoid some programming? More options is always better

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 05:48 PM
    Whoaa rageeee. Don't worry, there should be some articles on CB at that time to help special people like you learn how to close background apps.

And for the other 364.5 days of the year when you're not at a funeral, you might find it useful. Whats wrong with having that option to run it headless? You work at BlackBerry and want to avoid some programming? More options is always better

Posted via CB10
    I wasn't raging, don't worry. How do you close a headless app?

And besides funerals, what if someone in a business meeting accidentally hits their side button? People have meetings every day. What if it happens more than once? Toss the Blackberry for something less prone to causing an accidental interruption.

I can just see it being very frustrating very easily. And I've yet to read any real argument for a headless music app.
    12-09-13 07:19 PM
    Active frame is a cheap cop out of blackberry been lazy to provide developers what they need. Now that they have headless apps, they make it difficult to incorporate/implement.
    12-09-13 07:36 PM
    I wasn't raging, don't worry. How do you close a headless app?

And besides funerals, what if someone in a business meeting accidentally hits their side button? People have meetings every day. What if it happens more than once? Toss the Blackberry for something less prone to causing an accidental interruption.

I can just see it being very frustrating very easily. And I've yet to read any real argument for a headless music app.
    There would have to be an application switcher/closer. Kind of like how webOS had implemented which is now copied by iOS7 (double clicking the home button). There has to be alot of thought put into how that will function because it is such a core aspect of the OS. That may be another reason why BlackBerry has delayed true headless apps for this long.

If you are in a meeting or at some event where it needs to be quiet, you should obviously have your music app closed in the background. Just like how you would otherwise ensure the music active frame is closed right now.

The key is that access to your currently running background apps should be easy. A 1 or 2 tap/gesture/hold operation so u can always be checking whats running in the background and keep it clean. Just like BBOS had by holding down the BB menu key. Imo active frames really only serves a purpose when there is pertinent constantly/periodically updating information, like widgets on android.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 09:31 PM
    Active frame is a cheap cop out of blackberry been lazy to provide developers what they need. Now that they have headless apps, they make it difficult to incorporate/implement.
    Idk. A Lot of very useful apps got headless signing keys quite easily, and they implented it just fine

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    12-09-13 09:48 PM
    There would have to be an application switcher/closer. Kind of like how webOS had implemented which is now copied by iOS7 (double clicking the home button). There has to be alot of thought put into how that will function because it is such a core aspect of the OS. That may be another reason why BlackBerry has delayed true headless apps for this long.

If you are in a meeting or at some event where it needs to be quiet, you should obviously have your music app closed in the background. Just like how you would otherwise ensure the music active frame is closed right now.

The key is that access to your currently running background apps should be easy. A 1 or 2 tap/gesture/hold operation so u can always be checking whats running in the background and keep it clean. Just like BBOS had by holding down the BB menu key. Imo active frames really only serves a purpose when there is pertinent constantly/periodically updating information, like widgets on android.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, now I understand. To be honest, the music player still doesn't stand out as an app that really needs to be headless still. Same with the internet browser. Sometimes you just need to kill bugging audio as soon as possible. That said, I'd love browser tabs to save after being closed.

Imo, I vastly prefer active frames to iOS7's webos style cards. Give me an anureism trying to keep that mess organized.

But I can definitely see the general need.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 01:14 AM