Help Guys!
    I don't ask often but this one is befuddling to me! (Now that's a word)!
    Ok--problem: a couple of weeks ago my wife had her 9810 stolen and thankfully it was encrypted and password locked so whoever got it can only use it for parts but can't get to our information. That incident got me thinking that I should do the same as I have a lot of business and banking info on my phone that I use daily.

The first thing I did was move all the info to the device from the SD card and then proceeded to encrypt it and password protect it. No problems and it works like its supposed to.

But due to a family emergency where I needed to have the phone on all night in case of a text message coming in, and not wanting to try and type in a password at 3am when half asleep, I decided to disable it for the evening.

Now comes the problem!
    I went to options>security>password and the check box Would NOT let me uncheck it. I tried to maybe change the password but that wouldn't work either so I escaped from that effort. The check box is kind of grayed out and will not allow it to be disabled. I look on other threads but they are so long ago that the options are not the same for the 8xxx series phones where you could go to "Password" and supposidly change it. I also looked in the user guide (yes I downloaded the pdf when I got the phone) but it simply says to disable, UNCHECK THE BOX! LOL

So I hope that one of you gurus out there will have an idea, or I am stuck with it like it is until the Q10 comes around-LOL. I'm sure its something minor but I have no idea what--I know OS's but not password protections-so any help is so, so appreciated! Thank you! Go1ndr

UPDATE: Figured it out. You must disable the encryption first (including the media card which I hadn't done) before you can disable the password on that option. Makes sense now and I'll leave this thread on here in case some one else has this issue.
    Mods: if you want to remove it and feel its not needed, no problem and thanks!
    Last edited by go1ndr; 05-07-13 at 07:37 PM. Reason: UPDATE
    05-07-13 07:30 PM
    go1ndr, that encryption is the key. Glad you figured it out.
    05-07-13 08:22 PM
    go1ndr, that encryption is the key. Glad you figured it out.

Thx! Me too! Figured I'd leave the thread on here in case someone else needs it.
    05-08-13 12:30 PM
    This is a PS: For anyone that doesn't know, when you enable encryption, Blackberry Protect will be disabled. You can still have a password but nothing will be encrypted. So you have to determine if its more important or necessary to have your phone (and media card if you wanted) to be encrypted or just password protected. If just password protected and lost or stolen, the person finding the phone won't be able to open your phone, but if its encrypted, then nothing can be pulled from the memory without the password and wiping probably won't be necessary anyway. I'm going with the encryption as I think it's more important to block everything than have it backed up from BB daily. I do that on my PC anyway so its a double effort.
    05-14-13 05:57 PM
    i do not have my data encrypted, i didn't turn on my encryption. Only set the device password and i'v seen the same situation that turning password off option is grayed out can't set it off. Any idea ?
    05-17-13 10:27 AM
    i do not have my data encrypted, i didn't turn on my encryption. Only set the device password and i'v seen the same situation that turning password off option is grayed out can't set it off. Any idea ?
    Unlock, open the home page, click on options, click on security, go directly to encryption and make sure that it is not checked and that the media card box isn't checked--in fact--nothing should be checked. SAVE it! and then open up the password and it should be set to disable. If it doen't work, do a quick battery pull to make sure that its rebooted and then try again if it still is grayed out. Let us know what happens. Good luck!
    05-17-13 02:03 PM
    Same as previous thread.....i did not have my data encrypted, i didn't turn on my encryption. Only set the device password and i'v seen the same situation that turning password off option is grayed out can't set it off. So I tried changing encryption to on and then taking battery out and media card and rebooting...still have password off option grayed out. Any more ideas?? Thanks
    08-01-13 01:29 PM
    I have the same problem with mine. Password enabled gray. Encrypt not checked but include contacts is. Tried to remove it by checking the encrypt box and then unchecking both. Saving it and then looking to see it it cleared. But it keeps showing me the same thing and password is still grayed.
    01-01-15 08:56 PM
    I realized that when i set up an email account, the device password required prompt, after the email account deleted, device password could be disabled, now i do not use that email account in BB.
    06-28-15 06:24 PM
    HELP!! I just purchased a used Bold 9930 from Amazon and I guess it belonged to DHL (the delivery people) and it will not allow me to disable the password required. Can someone help?? Thank you
    02-25-16 06:12 PM