Z10 fell on the floor at the height of about a foot onto marble floor screen down. Superficial spider crack at the very bottom of the LCD. I thought to myself "sure, not a problem, doesn't really effect viewing of the screen"

WRONG.

The touchscreen is completely unresponsive so now I have a $700 brick. I cracked an HTC 100x worse and the thing still worked perfectly. Way to go BlackBerry, create a POS that is rendered useless if you damage it the slightest. What happened to BlackBerry being durable and can cop abuse which is what the brand is well known for? WELL NOT ANYMORE.
    05-06-13 09:24 AM
    Sorry to hear that. Do you have any carrier insurance or anything? That would limit your out of pocket...
    05-06-13 09:26 AM
    Of course BlackBerry doesn't offer any sort of fee-paying repair service AFAIK. Just looked at eBay... $200 for a new screen and that's before costs of having someone replace it for you ($60? $80? $100? $120?)

For the same price Apple will replace your damaged iPhone with a whole new refurbished phone.............
    05-06-13 09:29 AM
    Not blackberry's fault you dropped it! Unfortunately the way they have constructed the screen, all in one, means any crack requires whole new screen/digitiser replacement! Expensive and hard to come by. By all accounts eat enough to replace. I do feel for you, and I'd would be angry, but not at blackberry, but at my self for not using a case and screen protector!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:30 AM
    Screen repairs are expensive but you can replace the screen for $200. iphones aren't durable either. My brother had a small crack which turned into cracking the entire screen. Sorry to hear it dropped on its face though that sucks. I've dropped mine several times without it breaking. Next time see if you can get insurance on your phone in case of damage. Rogers up here offers it not sure what carrier you are with however.

Z10 becomes USELESS if you even crack a small section of screen-img_00000149.jpg

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    sclift likes this.
    05-06-13 09:32 AM
    See if there are some guides on the net that can help you replace it yourself. Just a thought. Sorry for your loss.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:33 AM
    Not blackberry's fault you dropped it! Unfortunately the way they have constructed the screen, all in one, means any crack requires whole new screen/digitiser replacement! Expensive and hard to come by. By all accounts eat enough to replace. I do feel for you, and I'd would be angry, but not at blackberry, but at my self for not using a case and screen protector!

Posted via CB10
    It's BlackBerry's fault for the shocking build construction and the lack of after sales support and repair services. And lets be realistic, a flimsy little screen protector isn't gonna stop an impact crack. Get real.
    Like mentioned the screen and digitizer are all one i think so if you crack the screen it breaks the phone pretty much. I really am not sure why they did it that way but it is what it is. Good luck to you whatever option you decide to take for replacement
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    Try clearplex its able to be impact resistant and it will also stop a 9mm bullet without damaging the phone.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    Shadowyugi and CrackBerry.-xo like this.
    05-06-13 09:35 AM
    Screen repairs are expensive but you can replace the screen for $200. iphones aren't durable either. My brother had a small crack which turned into cracking the entire screen. Sorry to hear it dropped on its face though that sucks. I've dropped mine several times without it breaking. Next time see if you can get insurance on your phone in case of damage. Rogers up here offers it not sure what carrier you are with however.
    How do I know which screen to buy? Theres different models. My phone is STL002 so would it be screen 002?
    jhimmel likes this.
    05-06-13 09:36 AM

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-06-13 09:37 AM
    It has to do with the way the display is made. The digitizer is fused right to the glass which lets them put the display right under the glass, making the device a little thinner and giving the appearance of the display being right under the glass (as opposed to having the space between the glass and display).

IMO any device with glass making up most of its front is going to be somewhat fragile. One of the first things I did after licking up the Z10 was pickup a case and get coverage from Asurion for it.
    jtonkin3 and CDM76 like this.
    05-06-13 09:38 AM
    Etradesupply carries the z10 lcd screens. I'm not sure if there is any difference between screens in the model numbers but someone else may be able to clear that up for you.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    05-06-13 09:38 AM
    Etradesupply carries the z10 lcd screens. I'm not sure if there is any difference between screens in the model numbers but someone else may be able to clear that up for you.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    On 9900, if you put the wrong model in your phone, the LCD wouldn't work. You had to tear the phone apart (which is very easy on 9900 as I have done it) and look at the back of the LCD to figure out what model you need.
    05-06-13 09:40 AM
    Is there a way to transfer my data BACK to my 9900 from Z10 ? So I can read my unread text messages LOL
    05-06-13 09:40 AM
    Clear plex looks freaking sweet, definitely gonna grab one next week.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:42 AM
    Not Blackberry's fault you dropped it face first onto a marble floor.

End of discussion

Posted via my Z10 WITH A Working Screen
    05-06-13 09:43 AM
    Not Blackberry's fault you dropped it face first onto a marble floor.

End of discussion

Posted via my Z10 WITH A Working Screen
    Don't worry, I think I'll get a iPhone for the first time in my life because you know their screens are cheap to replace, a crack wont render the phone a brick and they offer reasonable repair services.
    ihys, Etios and PhuFighter like this.
    05-06-13 09:45 AM
    Is there a way to transfer my data BACK to my 9900 from Z10 ? So I can read my unread text messages LOL
    You get one restore from a legacy device via BlackBerry Protect. Might be a good idea to use it.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:46 AM
    Know issue, which is why Z10 is not a childs phone, but sad to hear we all need a gorilla once in a while i guess
    CDM76 likes this.
    05-06-13 09:46 AM
    Lots of tear down videos on YouTube, take the back off the phone and check if any serial numbers match the screens advertised.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 09:47 AM
    The more high end the device, the more delicate the parts. BB chose this design for the screen because they wanted the screen to be thinner. You can't blame them for you breaking your phone.
    Sure, it's not the most durable of screens, but with normal wear and tear, it shouldn't be a problem. They've tried drop tests on the phone, and the screen is still working.
    We don't need people in this community to bash BlackBerry because they themselves don't know how to protect their phones. Honestly, you posting this here isn't doing you any good, so don't bother
    05-06-13 09:48 AM
    Lots of tear down videos on YouTube, take the back off the phone and check if any serial numbers match the screens advertised.

Posted via CB10
    Might as well. I got nothing to lose. It's already an expensive paperweight.
    05-06-13 09:49 AM
    Know issue, which is why Z10 is not a childs phone, but sad to hear we all need a gorilla once in a while i guess
    I love the thoughtful design of the Z10 but wondered why they didn't go the gorilla glass route, seemed like a no brainer.
    ihys, SlickCity and lsf222 like this.
    05-06-13 09:53 AM
    Picture please and video if you don't mind. Would like to see how much damage and location causes the phone to be rendered useless
    05-06-13 09:55 AM
379 123 ...