So I finally decided to return to BlackBerry phones a few days ago after moving over to Android and Windows Phone last year. I love the phone apart from the constant reboots (which I assume will eventually get fixed over software updates) and the insane (for my usage) data drain. I'm on a plan with 1gb a month and normally it lasts me fine because I turn off mobile data nearly all the time and use wifi instead (only using it for email/going on different forums/light web browsing). Usually I end up only using 600mb a month. Over the course of 2 or 3 days of owning the phone, probably only 14 or 15 hours on mobile data, I burned through 150mb.

I'm probably not going to be able to make it through the month at this rate despite similar usage on other phones. Does this have to do with how often BB10 syncs with emails/social networks/BBM? It's really worrying. Are there any ways to conserve or track data on BB10?
    05-05-13 07:49 PM
    So I finally decided to return to BlackBerry phones a few days ago after moving over to Android and Windows Phone last year. I love the phone apart from the constant reboots (which I assume will eventually get fixed over software updates) and the insane (for my usage) data drain. I'm on a plan with 1gb a month and normally it lasts me fine because I turn off mobile data nearly all the time and use wifi instead (only using it for email/going on different forums/light web browsing). Usually I end up only using 600mb a month. Over the course of 2 or 3 days of owning the phone, probably only 14 or 15 hours on mobile data, I burned through 150mb.

I'm probably not going to be able to make it through the month at this rate despite similar usage on other phones. Does this have to do with how often BB10 syncs with emails/social networks/BBM? It's really worrying. Are there any ways to conserve or track data on BB10?
    What apps do you have open or downloaded?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-13 07:52 PM
    What apps do you have open or downloaded?

Posted via CB10
    I always make sure to close active frames when I'm using mobile data. In terms of apps downloaded, I have CB10, Podcasts (only use it with wifi), Cineplex, Slacker Radio (only use it with wifi), TimmyME, and some games (Run in Crowd, Angry Birds SW, Jetpack Joyride, Radiant, Eufloria, Plants vs Zombies). None of them ever run in the background so it makes me wonder if it's just BB10 trying to constantly sync my emails and other stuff. I don't know why it's using up so much data on idle though.
    05-05-13 08:03 PM
    Anyone?
    05-06-13 07:10 AM
    Try checking your email, is it keep on re sending same email over and over? That burns out a lot of data from me.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:14 AM
    I think you need to start isolating possible causes. If all active frames are closed, then check your email, calendar and contact sync settings. If they're constantly polling, then selectively disable them to root out the culprit. If the polling interval is too frequent, just back it off.

HTH

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:16 AM
    I had the same problem. The Facebook app ate data like there was no tomorrow. I have also disabled all magazine and streaming apps from downloading automatically. This has helped a bit but I still have to be cautious about my usage.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:26 AM
    Im still trying to find out how I am using so much data. With my bb7 phone on wifi at work and at home, i was hitting 200mb/month. I received my first txt from ATT yesterday that I am about to hit the 5gb soft cap of my unlimited and that my data is going to be throttled. I am still using wifi at home and work, so most of what I download is done over wifi. I occasionally stream music, use maps and voice controls, but I cant see that adding up to 5gb. Im not worried about throttled data, since it only means slower internet. It would be nice to see what is using most of my data. Does Data Pro track data usage per app or just overall?
    05-06-13 07:32 AM
    Overall. Ask the developer if he can support that in a new version.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 07:46 AM
    What Iv'e found that has helped is turning off Data Services when connected to wifi. Settings/Network Connections/Mobile network. You will still be able to receive and make calls, and emails. Just remember to turn it back on when not using wifi! I have 1gb data per month. Last month I used around 400mb. This cycle I have used 105mb, with 4 days to go till my next cycle. With my 9900 I would use around 20mb per month
    mnc76 likes this.
    05-06-13 07:58 AM
    Hi everyone, I have had my Q10 for almost a week now and the data usage has been through the roof. Somewhere between 100 & 150 megabytes a day. If it wasn't for a warning email from Vodafone I would not have known.

I have gradually deleted all Apps to find the culprit to no avail - and it was by chance I went into Reminder and chugging away was Evernote! It seemed to be trying to download the contents of all my Folders plus contents. After switching Evernote off all seems a bit more realistic now in terms of download megabytes.

Not sure if this is a bug, but I won't be linking back to Evernote. I much preferred the OS 6 Legacy app.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 01:42 AM
    You can now keep track of your daily, weekly, monthly and unlimited data usage with Data Usage Counter for BlackBerry 10

New features added every week...
    Last edited by tonyblaze; 05-21-13 at 01:57 AM.
    05-08-13 10:27 AM
    I don't keep any active frames open if I can help it. And after signing out of Evernote all is now good. Won't be doing that again.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 02:39 PM