I have owned an iphone for four years now and I am very comfortable with using a touchscreen phone. For practical business reasons I want to switch to BB10. From what I have gathered doing internet research and speaking to sales reps in stores they all tell me to get the Z10. Moreover, blackberry seems to have spent their marketing resources on promoting the Z10 to new costumers and promoting the Q10 to the existing loyalists. I am wondering if there are any compelling arguments for a new customer (comfortable with a touchscreen) to get a Q10?
    Snazy likes this.
    05-05-13 05:22 PM
    From what I have heard the Q10 has longer battery life.
    05-05-13 06:16 PM
    If you are into a lot of emailing and messaging, then the Q10's physical keyboard will be a lot of help. But if you are into web browsing and prefers a larger screen, then the Z10 may be appropriate. This is not to say that its virtual keyboard of the Z10 is not great, but nothing beats a BlackBerry's physical keyboard like the Q10's.
    05-05-13 06:19 PM
    Am never a fan of touchscreen blackberry. Used all of the touchscreen blackberry models before, and always changed back to the keyboard models after a mth of usage. The best so far is the 9900. Perfect and fastest for typing and business use.

HOWEVER,

After a mth usage of Z10, while waiting impatiently for the legendary Q10 to arrive, I start to doubt myself. Should I go to Q10 for the keyboard? Why did I think this way? Simply because I'm using 2 blackberry currently, one Z10 for personal and bold 9000 for work, and my typing speed is twice as fast on my Z10 than on my bold9000. It's ridiculous how good the Z10 keyboard is. I tried typing on an iphone the other day, and I feel like tossing the phone towards the wall. Even when I'm typing on my BlackBerry Bold 9000, I get frustrated at how slow I'm typing.

Should I still go back to my original plan on getting a Q10?
    Javid Gozalov likes this.
    05-06-13 10:24 AM
    Well technically speaking the z10 keyboard is actually bigger than all previous BB physical keyboards. That could account for why it's faster than your 9000 or maybe even the 9900, but the Q10 is also bigger than all previous physical keyboards, but I think still a tad smaller than the on-screen keyboard of the Z10. But there's far more to a physical keyboard than simply typing speed...
    05-06-13 11:56 AM
    Only argument against a Q10 is if you do a lot of mobile media consumption or gaming.

Arguments for the Q10, physical keyboard, bigger battery, longer battery life due to less screen to light. Everything else about the devices is identical.
    05-06-13 12:09 PM
    Am never a fan of touchscreen blackberry. Used all of the touchscreen blackberry models before, and always changed back to the keyboard models after a mth of usage. The best so far is the 9900. Perfect and fastest for typing and business use.

HOWEVER,

After a mth usage of Z10, while waiting impatiently for the legendary Q10 to arrive, I start to doubt myself. Should I go to Q10 for the keyboard? Why did I think this way? Simply because I'm using 2 blackberry currently, one Z10 for personal and bold 9000 for work, and my typing speed is twice as fast on my Z10 than on my bold9000. It's ridiculous how good the Z10 keyboard is. I tried typing on an iphone the other day, and I feel like tossing the phone towards the wall. Even when I'm typing on my BlackBerry Bold 9000, I get frustrated at how slow I'm typing.

Should I still go back to my original plan on getting a Q10?
    I felt exactly the same way today once I actually tried one. I was not disappointed but I left without buying it and I told myself that I will be sticking with my Z10 because the damn keyboard is sooooooo fast its actually unreal. I tried typing on the Q10 and I just could not go back anymore. I was actually sad because the form factor was just awesome on the Q10 man
    05-06-13 05:52 PM
    @slagman
    No, u don't get it, it's not abt the size. 90% of the time what I pressing and typing are all wrong words, but when I press the space all of them gets auto corrected to what I want. And I barely lift up my thumbs when typing on the screen.

On the physical keyboard, I need to click each button. In addition, each time I press the wrong key I need to backspace. What's even more frustrating is when u want to delete the whole word or sentence, u can't do a thumb swipe from right left.

The same sentence "What are you doing tonight?" requires me to take around 6 seconds on the 9000 (physical keyboard), but it takes around 4 seconds on my Z10. Yes two seconds difference is stupidly insignificant. Now imagine the difference in the amount of time I used to type this post.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Q10 so bad. But GODDAMN this keyboard is just so addictive. Ok I need to stop.
    Snazy and geekaren like this.
    05-06-13 08:35 PM
    I had a Z10 for about a month as a loaner while a friend was on vacation. In that period of time I was able to get used to the virtual keyboard and the flick typing.

After I got my hands on a Q10 I really liked the keyboard but there wasn't much to make me want to switch so I went and bought the Z10.

Don't regret the choice. Plus my hands are less sore typing on the Z10 than with my old torch.

I do a lot of typing with 60 emails per day and with social media I'm constantly typing. And the Z10 is perfect for me.

Can't go wrong either way.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 08:45 PM
    I tried the z10 and thought just want to share why I would prefer the q10. Rather embarrassing to say this and hope I don't disgust anyone too much. But I do suffer from pretty excessive sweaty palms. It's so bad thst sweat can literally drip from my fingers. Thst caused me a lot of frustration swiping on the z10. My swiping will either go off or not be registered by the phone. The z10 keyboard is really sweet but without being able to swipe properly, to me it renders the z10 to have lost a significant function and major plus compared to other phones. Just to share in case others have same problem as me
    05-06-13 08:51 PM
    @slagman
    No, u don't get it, it's not abt the size. 90% of the time what I pressing and typing are all wrong words, but when I press the space all of them gets auto corrected to what I want. And I barely lift up my thumbs when typing on the screen.

On the physical keyboard, I need to click each button. In addition, each time I press the wrong key I need to backspace. What's even more frustrating is when u want to delete the whole word or sentence, u can't do a thumb swipe from right left.

The same sentence "What are you doing tonight?" requires me to take around 6 seconds on the 9000 (physical keyboard), but it takes around 4 seconds on my Z10. Yes two seconds difference is stupidly insignificant. Now imagine the difference in the amount of time I used to type this post.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Q10 so bad. But GODDAMN this keyboard is just so addictive. Ok I need to stop.
    Well, good thing 99% of the time what I type on my keyboard is accurate and correct so I wouldn't need that... I don't even need to look at my phone while I type and I still don't make mistakes 99% of the time...

Edit: And just to further elaborate on that, I never use any of these "text speak" things like typing "u" for "you" like you do for example, but still type fast and accurate. I'm glad you like your virtual keyboard. I'll stick with the physical one. :-)
    05-06-13 11:47 PM
    I tried a demo Q10 today and I noticed that there is no auto-correct as there is with the Z10. Does the Q10 not have the same auto-correct as the Z10 or was it just not set up on the demo?
    05-07-13 01:19 AM
    I'm on the newest leak of 10.1 and am typing better than ever. The carriers should get this out to Z10s ASAP, because the keyboard is even further off-the-charts impressive. If this were a race, the Z10's 10.0 keyboard laps the competition, and in 10.1 they lap them once again. Android and Apple should be concerned about forcing BlackBerry's hand in putting out a "real smartphone" like they did in the Z10. The keyboard in OS10.1 furthers BlackBerry's redefinition of what people should find acceptable for a touch screen keyboard.

Having said that, I look at the Q10 everyday on here and just want it so badly. It's probably borderline unhealthy, but whatever.

Steve Jobs once said, "A lot of times, people don't know what they want until you show it to them." Some people have never given BlackBerry a chance because of their old OS. But BlackBerry10 combined with the undisputed best keyboard on a phone? People have never experienced this. Sh1t, I haven't even experienced it yet (hurry up, T-Mobile USA)! The keyboard is the most important part of a phone, when you think about it. Well, when I think about it anyways. Texting, tweeting, emailing, facebook commenting/posts, Instagram captioning/commenting. These are things people continue to do on a daily basis. These things aren't outdated, and aren't going anywhere anytime soon. The physical qwerty gives everyone the opportunity to be precise when they're typing, and autocorrect leaves no one with an excuse to use the wrong word. This combination on the Q10 (where you pick the word that's suggested if you misspell) is so important to people who type/comment/caption a lot.

BlackBerry needs to show people that typing isn't going anywhere. That sentence sounds so obvious, but with people saying stuff like, "the physical keyboard is obsolete," to me it's clear that BlackBerry needs to bring it to people's attention that they type more than they think, and they need to show why a physical keyboard plus BlackBerry10 is really a communicator's dream phone. I have a laptop and PlayBook, and continue to use those as my primary devices for browsing the web. I am almost always somewhere where I can sit down and use wifi, so for me it makes sense to use the bigger screen of my Mac Book Pro or PlayBook to read stuff. But when I'm out, I'm like, "Oh..I forgot how awesome the browser is on my BlackBerry now," and really have a desktop or tablet web browsing experience in my hand.

But when it comes to typing something fast and accurately, the qwerty keyboard is must for me. Most of my friends have Androids or iPhones, so when I had my 9900 and even my 9810 and I'd be crazily typing something (really going nuts, it's like speeding) and my friends would see, they'd be like, "Woaahhh you type so fast on that thing...."

I know the "tools not toys" thing is dead, but I still get that feeling when I'm playing games on my iPod touch and then have to text someone. Sure I could iMessage them, but when I need to do something quickly, it's my instinct to put the iPod down and reach for my Z10. Showing people the power of BlackBerry10 with the power of being able to have a real keyboard... BlackBerry has to wake people up.
    05-07-13 01:53 AM
    God I love the keyboard of the Z10, what I don`t care for is the screen real estate I prefer the smaller form factor but cannot give up the Z10 keyboard However holding the Q was pure bliss in my hands......I just cannot seem to go back to the physical....maybe I would need to adapt. There is no autocorrect?? What if I need to type in French being in Qu�bec, Canada my Z10 automatically corrects my typos, does the Q10 do this?? If so I may sacrifice my of my speed just so I can have that awsome form factor that I find so desperately needed......
    05-07-13 05:58 AM
    I tried a demo Q10 today and I noticed that there is no auto-correct as there is with the Z10. Does the Q10 not have the same auto-correct as the Z10 or was it just not set up on the demo?
    The Q10 has both auto-correct and predictive text options. The flicking is a little different on the Q10 than on the Z10 but it's all there.

Hubby loves his Z10 and I'm loving my Q10 ...
    geekaren likes this.
    05-07-13 06:20 AM
    I like the discussion on this issue very much, and a compelling argument is made for both devices, so I thought I would add my own bit.

I used the Z from launch and have to say for someone who doesn't like touchscreen phones, I found it very nice to use. The keyboard is very forgiving, and the auto correct and word suggestions are leaps and bounds above the competition.
    Writing brief emails and messages is fun, status updates and other such short input stuff. The word suggestions for common phrases is very good, and it's ability to learn the phrases you use is brilliant.

BUT..

I write a LOT, I blog a lot, and have extensive BBM conversations etc. So when the Q was launched I wondered how I would feel. I hadn't used a physical keyboard for 3 months almost, would I find it hard?
    Hell no, like a duck to water, as soon as the buttons started clicking under my fingers I felt like I was home again, and the speed of my typing increased. My comfort in writing long emails and replies increased, and I haven't looked back.

I still use the Z during the day, but would not have drempt of making a reply this long while using it.

The Q has good spelling correction as did the older BlackBerry's, and also has the option of word suggestion too, which I prefer not to use.

At the end of the day, the choice is that of the user, and people choosing should buy what suits them, and not what others TELL them is the best.

As has been said, media consumers, gamers and touch screen lovers will have a great relationship with the Z. Or for a different experience, if you email or type a lot and media is not as important as a longer battery... the Q would be the right choice.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 08:57 AM
    There is also this discussion if you fancy a read.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=802693

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 08:58 AM
    I havent played with the q10 yet, i might when i go to toronto on monday(or mabye when i go friday, but i doubt ill have the time), but what it comes down to, least from what I've read, comes down to this:

Do you like using a physical or touchscreen better?
    What is the media consumption you use?

(that said, on a side note, when/if they release a slider, i would most likely be getting that, haha)

(side note 2, i used to like typing with my phone sideways on android, but find it annoying now on bb, because i can do all i need with it the short way.)
    05-07-13 09:04 AM
    from what I've read, comes down to this:

Do you like using a physical or touchscreen better?
    What is the media consumption you use?
    Pretty much how I see it.
    There are a few variables, but user preference is bigger than which device is the 'best'

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 09:22 AM
    I like the discussion on this issue very much, and a compelling argument is made for both devices, so I thought I would add my own bit.

I used the Z from launch and have to say for someone who doesn't like touchscreen phones, I found it very nice to use. The keyboard is very forgiving, and the auto correct and word suggestions are leaps and bounds above the competition.
    Writing brief emails and messages is fun, status updates and other such short input stuff. The word suggestions for common phrases is very good, and it's ability to learn the phrases you use is brilliant.

BUT..

I write a LOT, I blog a lot, and have extensive BBM conversations etc. So when the Q was launched I wondered how I would feel. I hadn't used a physical keyboard for 3 months almost, would I find it hard?
    Hell no, like a duck to water, as soon as the buttons started clicking under my fingers I felt like I was home again, and the speed of my typing increased. My comfort in writing long emails and replies increased, and I haven't looked back.

I still use the Z during the day, but would not have drempt of making a reply this long while using it.

The Q has good spelling correction as did the older BlackBerry's, and also has the option of word suggestion too, which I prefer not to use.

At the end of the day, the choice is that of the user, and people choosing should buy what suits them, and not what others TELL them is the best.

As has been said, media consumers, gamers and touch screen lovers will have a great relationship with the Z. Or for a different experience, if you email or type a lot and media is not as important as a longer battery... the Q would be the right choice.

Posted via CB10
    I really like this resposnce alot!! I still would prefer the form factor of the Q10 beleive it or not! Could care less for big screen....however I just felt really slow typing on the keyboard. Now that you tell me it has autocorrect I may be willing to sacrifice a little speed and eventually become as quick as on the Z10 using the Q10. I dont care about word substitution but autocorrect is key for me no matter how good my spelling is from the getgo!! Now you got me thinking!!! damn you!!!!!!!!
    05-07-13 10:14 AM
    Now you got me thinking!!! damn you!!!!!!!!
    In my short time on these forums, I have noticed Snazy is good at the getting people thinking part. lol
    05-07-13 11:40 AM
    I really like this resposnce alot!! I still would prefer the form factor of the Q10 beleive it or not! Could care less for big screen....however I just felt really slow typing on the keyboard. Now that you tell me it has autocorrect I may be willing to sacrifice a little speed and eventually become as quick as on the Z10 using the Q10. I dont care about word substitution but autocorrect is key for me no matter how good my spelling is from the getgo!! Now you got me thinking!!! damn you!!!!!!!!
    Haha glad to be of service to confuse you. If you are familiar with BlackBerry you will know what the normal spellcheck and word substitutions are like, I have always found them more than enough.

My speed is better on the Q than the Z because I have to concentrate less. But know for others the Z is the faster option.

Good luck deciding.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 12:01 PM
    In my short time on these forums, I have noticed Snazy is good at the getting people thinking part. lol
    I am?
    Don't worry, I will be gone again soon, I only ever pop up when a new phone is out, talk a lot, help a bit then go quiet for another year.

Thinking and rational discussion is nice though eh, instead of blinkered trains of thoughts and stonewall opinions.

I have enjoyed the exchanges on the various threads, might even miss it a bit when I hibernate again.

Posted via CB10
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    05-07-13 12:03 PM
    I don't think it is turned on by default. I had to enable it on my Q10.
    05-07-13 12:28 PM
    ahhhhh!!!!! I was going to save money and now I want the damn Q10 again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!nnnooo!!!!!
    05-07-13 12:32 PM
66 123