I have an orange UK pre pay sim in my Z10, it's really EE now and this is what I just found in location settings, traffic data collection and location based adverts are forced on, can carriers really do this? Unbelievable for a BlackBerry. I find this very scary.

PS diagnostic is turned off.

BB10 UI Inconsistencies-img_00001063.png

Posted via CB10
    okkytee and GP158 like this.
    05-04-13 03:51 AM
    -__-'

It's grayed out because you have location services toggled off.
    Turn it back on, then you'll be able to have the other two switched to what you prefer.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 04:00 AM
    -__-'

Turn it back on, then you'll be able to have the other two switched to what you prefer.

Posted via CB10
    Jon4400 is right. No need to panic.
    05-04-13 04:03 AM
    Can turn mine on and off as I need to, so no worries.

BB10 UI Inconsistencies-img_00000066.png

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    05-04-13 04:05 AM
    Can turn mine on and off as I need to, so no worries.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000066.png 
Views:	6909 
Size:	154.8 KB 
ID:	157866

Posted via CB10 using my awesome BB Z10
    Yup......the choice is available. I have it turned off but I'll turn it on when I travel. Will be useful then.

No drama.

Posted from my gorgeous Z10, which got me into being a BlackBerry fangirl again!!!!!!!!!!
    web99 and bigbikeguy like this.
    05-04-13 04:33 AM
    Can anyone elaborate on those two bottom settings? What happens with the traffic data that is collected? How are the location based adverts delivered?

Posted via CB10 on my Commodore 64
    05-04-13 05:39 AM
    I have an orange UK pre pay sim in my Z10, it's really EE now and this is what I just found in location settings, traffic data collection and location based adverts are forced on, can carriers really do this? Unbelievable for a BlackBerry. I find this very scary.

PS diagnostic is turned off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001063.png 
Views:	6405 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	157858

Posted via CB10
    Could this thread be deleted, please?

The OP apparently doesn't understand how his device should be operated and just uses fear to scare people away from the Z10.
    The premise of the post and the title of the thread are just BS...

If deleting is too hard, then please rename it. Because:

-__-'

Posted via CB10
    Should have made everything clear.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:12 AM
    I have mine all turned on, and I'm not "scared" why would the government or anyone wanna spy on me, heck I have nothing to hide lol
    If it makes apps faster, maybe used for apps like poynt or gas buddy then heck yes I'll leave it one

Why live your life in fear all the time?

Posted via CB10
    shaleem, Mecca EL and just_luc like this.
    05-04-13 06:38 AM
    This thread should be deleted.
    web99, MarsupilamiX, Rello and 2 others like this.
    05-04-13 06:46 AM

The OP apparently doesn't understand how his device should be operated and just uses fear to scare people away from the Z10.

Posted via CB10
    Well all can say is one day I **** dialed 911. The cops showed up at my door. I asked them how they knew where is was since it was a cell phone.

He said the phone gave them the location. He was impressed that the location was right on the money.

Odd thing is, all those options where off.

Seems the cops can get that information even when those items are off.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-04-13 06:56 AM
    Well all can say is one day I **** dialed 911. The cops showed up at my door. I asked them how they knew where is was since it was a cell phone.

He said the phone gave them the location. He was impressed that the location was right on the money.

Tim

911 pulls info even if your location is off, it's for safety! I'm glad it does

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 06:59 AM
    lol Belfast this is getting embarrassing now you going too far your reaching out here.We get you having a hard time transitioning to bb10 OS but you going too far just accept the change and get on with it.If you ain't happy with BB10 just go back to legacy device and use it peacefully looking like some old man whinging about the ''new stuff''.
    05-04-13 07:26 AM
    lol Belfast this is getting embarrassing now you going too far your reaching out here.We get you having a hard time transitioning to bb10 OS but you going too far just accept the change and get on with it.If you ain't happy with BB10 just go back to legacy device and use it peacefully looking like some old man whinging about the ''new stuff''.
    I agree completely.

Please just report his post/thread because it is just disgraceful for a user like BelfastD, to show this kind of attitude and lack of knowledge/understanding.

This is yet another thread on his personal crusade against the new BBRY with QNX.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:40 AM
    Belfast,
    When your location is toggled off, the other two options are by default off. Hence it is greed out.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-04-13 07:43 AM

Tim

I have no verifiable informations right now, on how GPS is used by 911, if you call them, but what I know, is that authorities are able to do the following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_localization

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 07:43 AM
    Can anyone elaborate on those two bottom settings? What happens with the traffic data that is collected? How are the location based adverts delivered?

Posted via CB10 on my Commodore 64
    The traffic data is collected anonymously and is used in providing traffic flow data to the Maps app. The data that is collected is not your phone but the signal from your phone, and everyone else's phone, and tracking the rate that the signals are flowing at any given point. That way the Maps app can calculate the travel time and approximate the arrival time. Please keep the Traffic Data Collection turned on for the sake of all of us.

Some apps make their money through advertising, and the location based adverts are how they are financed. Your choice.
    just_luc likes this.
    05-04-13 08:03 AM
    I agree completely.

Please just report his post/thread because it is just disgraceful for a user like BelfastD, to show this kind of attitude and lack of knowledge/understanding.

This is yet another thread on his personal crusade against the new BBRY with QNX.

Posted via CB10
    I dont know about all that reporting stuff I dont even know where the button is.I have never used it in forums people gonna say what they gonna say.Im raised in a place where we call that snitching so thats not for me.But you do what you think is best and what works for you.

This aint deep its not offensive.For me Belfast our guy he be in the community posting and all that.You know every now and then people you see just act a little different.We just got to intervine and say you trippin out a little lets calm it sort it out let them vent ,air it out.In this case he's saying stuff thats a bit off and you and others have provide some very good answers now he and many who view the thread have the facts the truths.We can keep it moving now.

Belfast will come around eventually he's just not where some of us are at.So give him time he been a good CB folk for a while.
    05-04-13 08:23 AM
    The fact that the police can track the location of any cell phone that's turned on is not news. If you really don't want to be trackable, you have to take the battery out of the phone. Or better yet, don't use a cell phone.

The traffic data monitoring is a crowdsourcing feature, as has already been pointed out. Waze does the same thing, for the same reason. I believe, but I'm not sure, that this is only operative when BB Maps is active. It doesn't make much sense for the phone to be collecting traffic data when you're at the gym or watching TV. But maybe somebody at BlackBerry can confirm this.

As for location-based adverts... Well, adware is not new to the BB platform. Like it or not, one of the ways developers get paid is by selling ad space in their apps. Personally, I strongly prefer to pay for ad-free apps, but not everybody feels the same way. So I guess the question is: If I'm going to use adware, would I prefer ads that are relevant to my location? I can see why many might answer yes. Since I try not to use adware (among other things, ads waste battery power), I keep this turned off.

Some apps, such as Waze, have to use location services and will present location-based ads anyway. I have no problem with that.
    05-04-13 08:30 AM
    troll removed for good, enjoy the rest of your normally scheduled broadcast.
    05-04-13 09:14 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yeah...all I'm gonna say is:

..........REALLY?!??!?!?

Posted via CB10
    DisturbedRocks31 likes this.
    05-04-13 09:15 AM
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from my gorgeous Z10, which got me into being a BlackBerry fangirl again!!!!!!!!!!
    habs_fan likes this.
    05-04-13 09:18 AM
    Thank you! Mods like you make CB a better place

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 likes this.
    05-04-13 09:27 AM
    I dont know about all that reporting stuff I dont even know where the button is.I have never used it in forums people gonna say what they gonna say.Im raised in a place where we call that snitching so thats not for me.But you do what you think is best and what works for you.

This aint deep its not offensive.For me Belfast our guy he be in the community posting and all that.You know every now and then people you see just act a little different.We just got to intervine and say you trippin out a little lets calm it sort it out let them vent ,air it out.In this case he's saying stuff thats a bit off and you and others have provide some very good answers now he and many who view the thread have the facts the truths.We can keep it moving now.

Belfast will come around eventually he's just not where some of us are at.So give him time he been a good CB folk for a while.
    Your positivism is great!

I also did not want to hijack your post, I just agreed on a personal level.

But I have no idea what the purpose of this thread should be...
    It should be renamed, or deleted/closed.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 09:29 AM
    I'm not paranoid! Why are they all watching me? LOL!
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-04-13 09:32 AM
    I'm not paranoid! Why are they all watching me? LOL!
    Because you're yummy?????

shaleem and MarsupilamiX like this.
    05-04-13 09:37 AM
426 123 ...