So lots of time people talk about how the Z is miles better for screen size and the Q just doesn't cut it.
    But I have a thought on that, and it depends how you used your handset, and what your priorities for use are.

If you spend a lot of time entering data, ie, email, bbm, text, twitter etc, then there is something to consider, as the pics demonstrate.
    If however you game and watch lots of movies etc, the decision is simple.

So here you go, 3 apps side by side, with really no difference once the on screen keyboard is up.
    Of the 2 ,due to my usage, the Q wins this hands down.
    The Q10 vs Z10 screen size debate-20130503_140004.jpg
    The Q10 vs Z10 screen size debate-20130503_140138.jpg
    The Q10 vs Z10 screen size debate-20130503_140222.jpg

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:25 AM
    Z10 still wins hands down for me....
    05-03-13 08:30 AM
    That's the joy, you prefer one for your usage, I prefer another, but then that's why it's great that the user gets the option.

I still rate the Z highly, but know already that the Q will be the daily driver, for me anyway.

I think BlackBerry did a great job bringing two superb options to the market. All bases covered.
    Now to spruce up the OS and sort out the issues people have.

Posted via CB10
    revtech, Snap51, brout and 9 others like this.
    05-03-13 08:34 AM
    Z10 for me. Screen size is one of the reasons I chose full touch over touch/QWERTY combo. Those keys are useless to me when I'm not using them. I can two finger swipe away my Z10s keyboard, the Q10s keys are there to stay.

I spend a lot of time entering text, but I also spend a lot of time reading and viewing other things. For that, the Z10 is far superior. 90wpm on the Z10 as well has me not wanting keys for anything.
    web99 and calicocat2010 like this.
    05-03-13 08:36 AM
    Because, come to think of it...In FB for example, before you go on typing making comments on posts and whatnot,you first have to browse and scroll. And what better way to view all those on full page? On a Z10. The screen only becomes tiny when the keyboard is up...Ofcourses you know already.Most of the time if not, you always view the whole page full screen be it when your browsing the web or using any apps. So the Z10 really wins. I hope I'm making sense...
    05-03-13 08:39 AM
    Love the simplicity of the explanation, thanks for that.
    90wpm!! Holy cow, that's impressive.
    I have got up to a reasonable speed on the Z, but nowhere near that. *gulp

For me as a prolific blogger, and social addict, the combo of the Q works for me best. Not really a gamer or video watcher, and if I do its on the Playbook

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:41 AM
    Making perfect sense Michael, thanks.

I know what you mean, and you are right in that respect for sure.

Guess I'm just happy sacrificing the lines of info, and having to scroll, for the sake of using a physical keyboard.
    Having not used one for months, I'm back to it like a duck to water, and my typing speed is SO much better.

Me and touch screens will never be a great relationship, even with a superb keyboard like the Z

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:44 AM
    Love the simplicity of the explanation, thanks for that.
    90wpm!! Holy cow, that's impressive.
    I have got up to a reasonable speed on the Z, but nowhere near that. *gulp

For me as a prolific blogger, and social addict, the combo of the Q works for me best. Not really a gamer or video watcher, and if I do its on the Playbook

Posted via CB10
    Hehe. I have been using touch only devices since I left the 9000 4 years ago. Typing on keys on a smartphone now feels awkward to me.

I'm sure the Q10 keyboard is amazing. I have never been disappointed by a Bold line of keyboards, and the Q10 seems to expand upon that.
    05-03-13 08:48 AM
    I think us BlackBerry users are not used to having options so we like to have these fun little debates Q vs Z.

Truth is both are great devices for different users. I know Q is for me and I respect and value somebody else's decision whoever wants to pick up a Z.

Same thing with iPhone and android users.. they should rejoice that there's real choice in the market now with BlackBerry having 2 legit smartphones out. This forces Apple and Google to continue to push themselves and innovate

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 08:50 AM
    I see the op's point. The only two issues on the Q for me is that you can't put the keyboard away and the os actually being made for the touch screen phones but squeezed into the Q.

Before you enter the screen to message or post on Facebook the first thing you are doing is surfing whom to talk to which having the ability to put away the keyboard makes it easier.

When it comes to the os I noticed this issue with my 9900. I wanted to love it totally but it was always missing something. Then I noticed it when I first had the torch in my hand. The os was perfect for an all touch. This is why I didn't wait for the Q. I knew the os would feel squeezed into the phone. Just in case I'm not bashing the phone. I was just Destin to move on to all touch.

Feel free to add me 24EFEB55
    jrdba likes this.
    05-03-13 08:57 AM
    I'm glad I can share my insights on this debate I love my Z10...Been thinking about a switch to the Q side but reading several threads, I have decided to stick with the Z. A BB user for almost a month now and this is my 2nd device from BB. 1st was the 9900,used for a week but never really happy with the screen size. Ditched it and fell in love with the Z very similar to the iPhone5. (yes im also an iPhone fanatic) LOL!
    05-03-13 09:04 AM
    I see the op's point. The only two issues on the Q for me is that you can't put the keyboard away and the os actually being made for the touch screen phones but squeezed into the Q.

Before you enter the screen to message or post on Facebook the first thing you are doing is surfing whom to talk to which having the ability to put away the keyboard makes it easier.

When it comes to the os I noticed this issue with my 9900. I wanted to love it totally but it was always missing something. Then I noticed it when I first had the torch in my hand. The os was perfect for an all touch. This is why I didn't wait for the Q. I knew the os would feel squeezed into the phone. Just in case I'm not bashing the phone. I was just Destin to move on to all touch.

Getting my Q today but from what I heard and imagined myself - bb10 Os seems more like it was made for Q phones and pushed to touchscreen homes

Posted via CB10
    Anatomy likes this.
    05-03-13 09:04 AM
    Great thread, love the comparison .

Posted via CB10
    Snazy likes this.
    05-03-13 09:07 AM
    Getting my Q today but from what I heard and imagined myself - bb10 Os seems more like it was made for Q phones and pushed to touchscreen homes

Posted via CB10
    That my friend will be a matter of opinion. From what I've seen with the options, gestures and even the auto correct seems shoved into the smaller screen. Once again I'm not dogging the phone. I'm planning on checking it out once it hits the states but my next phone will probably be another all touch blackberry.

keturahishere likes this.
    05-03-13 09:15 AM
    The Z10 is something that looks beautiful enough to choose over the Q10 on account of it's just-as-good keyboard, and I will likely purchase that one instead. However, as long as people are buying into BlackBerry 10, we're all on the same team. That's all that matters to me. Debates like these, whenever friendly and good-natured, are always fun. It's like three-point shooting competitions at the end of practice between two star players.
    Snazy, keturahishere and podes2204 like this.
    05-03-13 09:17 AM
    I think it really comes down to personal preference, but as mentioned above, how much time do you spend composing a new tweet or a new post and how much time do you spend scrolling through your timeline? I love my Z10 and the screen real estate that I gained from switching from my 9900. That doesn't mean that I don't miss my 9900 and its physical keyboard but the Z10's keyboard is awesome in its own right. If I wasn't attached to my desk and my laptop all day, I would probably be more inclined to get the Q10. As I have the luxury of answering most of my work emails from my laptop during business hours, I'm perfectly content with the added screen size of my Z10

They're both great devices in their own way and each is perfect for someone, just not necessarily everyone.
    Snazy likes this.
    05-03-13 09:17 AM
    Always interesting to note that all-touchscreen users seem to imply that qwerty lovers like me are somehow not "fully developed" by not "moving" on. Had both, and would have preferred a slider like my wonderful old torch, but with my current 9900 keyboard. Oh well, maybe next year BB will give us the best of both. In the meantime, I use my phone for "work/phone" needs, and Playbook for the fun stuff.
    Snazy and Steelsheen like this.
    05-03-13 09:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    I would say it was conceived for the Z but carefully sculpted to work perfectly with the Q, which it does to a large degree.
    A few unhappy hardcore die hard users, with losing their shortcuts, and not finding the switch to 10 as smooth.

Either way, the two varients work beautifully on their respective devices. And with a little tweeking here and there they will rank as awesome.

The main thing here is, the 18 month wait is over, the rumours are answered and the 2 devices which have received so much hype are here, and personally I think BlackBerry did a great job with them.

Posted via CB10
    Steelsheen likes this.
    05-03-13 09:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but no. This OS was in every way, shape and form designed for a full touchscreen and then ported to the keyboard. If it was truly intended for Q phones and then pushed to touchscreen, why did they wait until a month after the Z was released and a month before the Q was released to release the api's or whatever they are to the app developers for the smaller screen? Even internally, the N-series phones didn't show up until much after the L-series. The first BB10 leak we saw for the London, a full touchscreen.
    05-03-13 09:25 AM
    I think the easiest way to put it is the Q trades versatility for ease of text input
    Steelsheen, 2 Phonez and Snazy like this.
    05-03-13 09:29 AM
    Put Mireo or BB Maps turn by turn navigation side by side. You'll get a different impression. I get your point but I don't see a 'debate' happening.
    05-03-13 09:31 AM
    Now now, play nicely BlackBerry kids!

I totally see both sides of the story, and having both devices I am greedy enough and lucky enough to make those comparisons first hand.

I guess the argument can rattle on for ages, you can only read one tweet at a time, and they are only 140 characters, so screen size isn't an issue, and so on...

But for me, I write a LOT of emails, blog a lot, and spend a lot of time on messaging apps too, my key use is to communicate, not spectate.
    Having used the Z since launch, me personally I am happy to give up that bit of screen, for the sake and sanity of the physical keys.

Silly things like winter just gone, not being able to use the phone on the station platform or walking to/ from work. I wear gloves walking my dogs, so can't use the Z then either, and so on...

I'm glad that this is a simple choice, 2 simple handsets, and the only question at this point is 'buttons or not'
    Rather than, hmm, the BlackBerry but the X, the S, the 32gb, or 64.....
    Tell a lie... Buttons or not, and white or black lol

Damn us BB10 users have it SO easy! Haha

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 09:32 AM
    Put Mireo or BB Maps turn by turn navigation side by side. You'll get a different impression. I get your point but I don't see a 'debate' happening.
    And that's my whole point, it depends on your usage. I use Google Maps on my Android for nav, so there is no issue there haha.

As for the 'debate'. It's already happened, the title was just a simple thought invoking idea to get people reading and replying with their thoughts.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 09:34 AM
    I think the easiest way to put it is the Q trades versatility for ease of text input
    Perfectly put. Love it.
    Ease/ convenience

Posted via CB10
    05-03-13 09:35 AM
    Had the Z10, switched to the Q10 yesterday. While I haven't had a really solid chance to take it for a spin, it really is the perfect blend of the keyboard functionality of the 9900 and the zippyness and fluidity of BB10. I have absolutely no regrets.

If I had one complaint thus far, it would have to be how some things (like the menus at the bottom of the screen) aren't really framed all that well for the smaller screen - they appear to be the same size as they are on the Z10, which means they take up a decent amount of space at the bottom of the screen when they show up. Now, they make up for that by keeping it hidden until you get near the bottom of the screen, but if you put your finger anywhere near the bottom, it will pop up. The other minor issue is that while the Q10 fits in the old 9900 holster just fine, the magnet inside is not strong enough to turn the screen off, which sucks because I really like the quality of the 9900 holster and really dislike the build quality of the Q10 holster.

Apart from that minor issue, everything is awesome. All of my stuff from the Z10 transferred properly with no issue, including my apps (though for some mysterious reason I had to redo the upgrade to the major apps to make them work with the Q10), and all of my wife's stuff from her Android phone transferred fine to her new Z10 (my old one), except for the apps, but we're gonna see if we can sideload some of the ones that she really liked having (Plants vs. Zombies, for one - I'd hate to see her have to pay for it again).

All in all, very impressed with the build quality of the phone and anticipate me being able to use this phone for a couple of years.

JB
    Snazy, Steelsheen and 2 Phonez like this.
    05-03-13 10:00 AM
399 123 ...